Do you need a B.S. in STEM instead of B.A. for patent law

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
tqi3

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:00 am

Do you need a B.S. in STEM instead of B.A. for patent law

Postby tqi3 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:03 pm

I long for being a patent lawyer and I am an undergraduate pursuing a comp sci degree. I could graduate with a B.A. degree in comp sci instead of a B.S degree in the same major and it kinda matters as in the time I graduate. Can I go for prosecution with a B.A. in STEM ? (I understand that a STEM degree is necessary.) And if I could, will a B.S. degree be better anyways as in L2 internship and further professional requirements/ability after I start to work?
Thank you

sparkytrainer

Silver
Posts: 688
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:32 am

Re: Do you need a B.S. in STEM instead of B.A. for patent law

Postby sparkytrainer » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:10 pm

You need more than just a BS (and yes you need a BS). You need a MA and a PHD generally.

pfunkera

New
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:01 pm

Re: Do you need a B.S. in STEM instead of B.A. for patent law

Postby pfunkera » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:37 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:You need more than just a BS (and yes you need a BS). You need a MA and a PHD generally.


the above statement is 100% false

See explanation starting on page 6

https://www.uspto.gov/sites/default/files/documents/OED_GRB.pdf

pfunkera

New
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:01 pm

Re: Do you need a B.S. in STEM instead of B.A. for patent law

Postby pfunkera » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:42 pm

tqi3 wrote:I long for being a patent lawyer and I am an undergraduate pursuing a comp sci degree. I could graduate with a B.A. degree in comp sci instead of a B.S degree in the same major and it kinda matters as in the time I graduate. Can I go for prosecution with a B.A. in STEM ? (I understand that a STEM degree is necessary.) And if I could, will a B.S. degree be better anyways as in L2 internship and further professional requirements/ability after I start to work?
Thank you


I had a B.A. in Chemistry, but I also had a M.S. in Synthetic Organic Chemistry. See the document I posted because it is pretty thorough about what you need. You only need a "bachelor's" degree. You can even qualify without a bachelor's degree in the noted fields if you have the required coursework or can satisfy other requirements.

toast and bananas

New
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:59 pm

Re: Do you need a B.S. in STEM instead of B.A. for patent law

Postby toast and bananas » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:44 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:You need more than just a BS (and yes you need a BS). You need a MA and a PHD generally.


What? Why are you spreading this nonsense? You just need a bachelors in one of the specified fields in order to eligible to sit for the patent bar.

whelmer

New
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:32 pm

Re: Do you need a B.S. in STEM instead of B.A. for patent law

Postby whelmer » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:21 pm

My friend doing patent law has a BS in mech eng and a JD. Undergrad is enough. I have heard that IP for life sciences does sometimes seek advanced degrees, but a BA in comp sci is fine.

User avatar
Leo

Bronze
Posts: 366
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:58 pm

Re: Do you need a B.S. in STEM instead of B.A. for patent law

Postby Leo » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:29 am

A bachelor’s degree in STEM is all you need to be eligible for the patent bar. No distinction between between BS and BA. As a practical matter, however, it’s easier to find a job in patent prosecution with an advanced degree. Is the boost worth the extra schooling? Depends on your undergrad GPA and LSAT score, but the answer is probably no. For patent litigation, you don’t even need a STEM degree.

User avatar
tinman

Bronze
Posts: 233
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:17 pm

Re: Do you need a B.S. in STEM instead of B.A. for patent law

Postby tinman » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:43 am

Leo wrote:A bachelor’s degree in STEM is all you need to be eligible for the patent bar. No distinction between between BS and BA. As a practical matter, however, it’s easier to find a job in patent prosecution with an advanced degree. Is the boost worth the extra schooling? Depends on your undergrad GPA and LSAT score, but the answer is probably no. For patent litigation, you don’t even need a STEM degree.


This is the correct answer.



Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Mobster1983 and 8 guests