3rd Time Bar Failure - Advice

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Cati

New
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:01 pm

3rd Time Bar Failure - Advice

Postby Cati » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:54 pm

Hello there. This is my 4th time failing the Florida Bar.
It has been rough on me, watching my fellow colleagues surpass me, get sworn in and start practicing time after time. This bar, due to the failure, I lost our on a job I was so very much looking forward to in the field I love.

...I feel like a failure, a burden to those around me and like I'm a loser. I feel like those around me look at me like I am nothing and a joke. I hide the fact I have failed so many times and conceal that I went to law school so people dont ask too many questions.

Bills are piling up, my clothes and shoes are look worn yet I cant afford anything and I feel useless.
Ive pushed so hard.

I work 2 jobs and possibly now 3. I was lucky enough to be able to take 2 months off to study for every bar and will continue to do so.
I dont know what I am doing wrong. The 2nd time I used Kaplan, adaptibar, and a tutor (J. Grossman) plus his lectures, this time I did Kaplan, adptibar, and J. Grossman lectures (I couldnt afford the tutoring). I did over 5k questions, multiple essays and tests. I would study 6-8hrs and near the end 10hrs.

I dont know what to do. What am I doing wrong.
Should I try Barbri? Though to go though the WHOLE barbri package seems like a misuse of time since now ill be a 4th time taker.

I cant keep doing what I am doing because obviously something isnt working.
I cant keep failing. Im ruining my career, my health, my relationships and my life.

Help.

valentina

New
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:28 pm

Re: 3rd Time Bar Failure - Advice

Postby valentina » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:22 pm

How am I able to send you a private message?

not guilty

Bronze
Posts: 240
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:22 pm

Re: 3rd Time Bar Failure - Advice

Postby not guilty » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:09 pm

Cati wrote:
Help.


Did you pass either section? My advice is to wait for scores before you decide on what to do. Chances are you were close, so just keep trying.

not guilty

Bronze
Posts: 240
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:22 pm

Re: 3rd Time Bar Failure - Advice

Postby not guilty » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:13 pm

valentina wrote:How am I able to send you a private message?

ppl would like to read your advice...

valentina

New
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:28 pm

Re: 3rd Time Bar Failure - Advice

Postby valentina » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:28 pm

not guilty wrote:
valentina wrote:How am I able to send you a private message?

ppl would like to read your advice...


I want to offer personal help with contact information, which I am not willing to post on a private forum. If you can help me with sending a private message, that'd be great.

b290

Bronze
Posts: 283
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:28 pm

Re: 3rd Time Bar Failure - Advice

Postby b290 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:16 am

to
Cati wrote:Hello there. This is my 4th time failing the Florida Bar...

You can’t push a dead car by adding more weight. When you put it in neutral, then your car will move. Similarly, doing 6000 MBE questions and 200 essays, 18-20 hour sessions are of no use if you’re not analyzing where you’re going wrong, and making improvements. You’ve taken the bar exam enough times to know what your strengths and weaknesses are (if not, your score reports will tell you). You need to know and act accordingly - compare with (and eventually mirror) what’s right. “Right essay answers are the model/(top examines) essays while with MBE, it’s in the explanations.

It sounds easy, but it really isn’t. Honest self-analysis is the hardest thing one can do. We always diminish our weaknesses. need to know what you're specifically doing wrong. “Right essay answers are the model/(top examines) essays while with MBE, it’s in the explanations

Your game plan will determine what you study, your barometers, goals. You first need to decide whether you’re taking it again soon. If you mean July, the deadline will be here quickly. If you do:

Retest (FL): You have a better chance of passing while the info is still in your head. FL also allows you to just retake the failing part (presuming you’ve passed one part – even more reason why you need your score). If you’re in that scenario, you really have less of a test to worry about. If not, you really have to examine whether you want to take FL again - see next option.

Retest (UBE): Most states (I’m thinking almost every one) have increased/steadied their bar passage rates after switching. The UBE’s not an easier exam, it just easier to study for with no simultaneous state distinctions. In some states, it’s also cheaper ( e.g. NY is just $250/ABA students) and there are many more resources for it. Also, although it’s one exam, the different states have their own grading standards - the effect being that it’s actually easier to get the same passing score in some places.

When you figure out which of the above you’re doing, you then need to sit down and thoroughly dissect your exam performance - likely to the point of Excel spreadsheets. If you can, get your answers for one of those failing exams. How much is your deficit? That alone determines how aggressive your plan has to be.

Also, you need to stabilize your non-bar situation. Anything that will distract you from the bar needs to be minimized, if not eliminated. That you’re working is a good thing if you’re worried about finances. If finances get in the way, consider retaking at a later date (see below) You need to be realistic with how much money you can spend. Your budget also determines what you study with. If you decide to not take it right away:
 
Time off: A dedicated plan to save up and start at a specified time will save you a lot of stress later on. Finance problems can force you to work when you can be studying. Maximizing your study time will only help you. A big drawback is the temptation of postponement until “everything’s perfect” That’s bad - “perfect” will never come and you only cheat yourself eventually.

Move on: It's perfectly ok to move on. At some point you have to know when to cut your losses. There are JD-preferred jobs where you can make a decent living. If you feel that the gap is too much, just stop. There’s no point in continuing if you don’t feel you’ll be able to close the gap and pass on a reasonable time.

In short, you need to take some time and figure out:

- Do you want to take an exam again?
- Is it imperative that you’re licensed or FL-licensed?
- Do you want to repeat right away?
- If/when you repeat, how are you remedying your weaknesses?

 
Yes, others are doing their own things, but theyre just that -  their own. Life will go on without you. That's not to be harsh, but a fact. Focus on yourself and your moment of triumph/exit strategy.

Whatever you do, good luck!

My $.02

Cati

New
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:01 pm

Re: 3rd Time Bar Failure - Advice

Postby Cati » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:50 am

valentina wrote:
not guilty wrote:
valentina wrote:How am I able to send you a private message?

ppl would like to read your advice...


I want to offer personal help with contact information, which I am not willing to post on a private forum. If you can help me with sending a private message, that'd be great.


Hello valentina,

I would love to hear you advice....
Im not sure how to send a private message as I am also new. I could give you one of my e-mails if no one ends up telling how to PM.

Cati

New
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:01 pm

Re: 3rd Time Bar Failure - Advice

Postby Cati » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:57 am

b290 wrote:to
Cati wrote:Hello there. This is my 4th time failing the Florida Bar...

You can’t push a dead car by adding more weight. When you put it in neutral, then your car will move. Similarly, doing 6000 MBE questions and 200 essays, 18-20 hour sessions are of no use if you’re not analyzing where you’re going wrong, and making improvements. You’ve taken the bar exam enough times to know what your strengths and weaknesses are (if not, your score reports will tell you). You need to know and act accordingly - compare with (and eventually mirror) what’s right. “Right essay answers are the model/(top examines) essays while with MBE, it’s in the explanations.

It sounds easy, but it really isn’t. Honest self-analysis is the hardest thing one can do. We always diminish our weaknesses. need to know what you're specifically doing wrong. “Right essay answers are the model/(top examines) essays while with MBE, it’s in the explanations

Your game plan will determine what you study, your barometers, goals. You first need to decide whether you’re taking it again soon. If you mean July, the deadline will be here quickly. If you do:

Retest (FL): You have a better chance of passing while the info is still in your head. FL also allows you to just retake the failing part (presuming you’ve passed one part – even more reason why you need your score). If you’re in that scenario, you really have less of a test to worry about. If not, you really have to examine whether you want to take FL again - see next option.

Retest (UBE): Most states (I’m thinking almost every one) have increased/steadied their bar passage rates after switching. The UBE’s not an easier exam, it just easier to study for with no simultaneous state distinctions. In some states, it’s also cheaper ( e.g. NY is just $250/ABA students) and there are many more resources for it. Also, although it’s one exam, the different states have their own grading standards - the effect being that it’s actually easier to get the same passing score in some places.

When you figure out which of the above you’re doing, you then need to sit down and thoroughly dissect your exam performance - likely to the point of Excel spreadsheets. If you can, get your answers for one of those failing exams. How much is your deficit? That alone determines how aggressive your plan has to be.

Also, you need to stabilize your non-bar situation. Anything that will distract you from the bar needs to be minimized, if not eliminated. That you’re working is a good thing if you’re worried about finances. If finances get in the way, consider retaking at a later date (see below) You need to be realistic with how much money you can spend. Your budget also determines what you study with. If you decide to not take it right away:
 
Time off: A dedicated plan to save up and start at a specified time will save you a lot of stress later on. Finance problems can force you to work when you can be studying. Maximizing your study time will only help you. A big drawback is the temptation of postponement until “everything’s perfect” That’s bad - “perfect” will never come and you only cheat yourself eventually.

Move on: It's perfectly ok to move on. At some point you have to know when to cut your losses. There are JD-preferred jobs where you can make a decent living. If you feel that the gap is too much, just stop. There’s no point in continuing if you don’t feel you’ll be able to close the gap and pass on a reasonable time.

In short, you need to take some time and figure out:

- Do you want to take an exam again?
- Is it imperative that you’re licensed or FL-licensed?
- Do you want to repeat right away?
- If/when you repeat, how are you remedying your weaknesses?

 
Yes, others are doing their own things, but theyre just that -  their own. Life will go on without you. That's not to be harsh, but a fact. Focus on yourself and your moment of triumph/exit strategy.

Whatever you do, good luck!

My $.02



Hello,


I have not recieved my number scores yet and my state (FL) does not provide in any way the Qs you got wrong or your essays.
As stated before, I did many things to prepare myself one not mentioned including was focusing on a weakness which brought me down the bar before (I missed it by 8pts), Civ Pro.
Again, I need direction and help to find what I am doing wrong. If there is a tutor in my area I will gladly go that route again.

If the Bar was an isolated event, as in just me, failure wouldnt hurt so bad, but the pain of seeing it affect those around me and seeing others (whom, dont get me know I am happy for) pass and start their lives, breaks me. I cant understand why the system tolls on us in the way it does. No other profession does this to its graduates. The bar had brought me to darker places than I have been in my own mind since middle school, and thats really bad.

I just need help that is all.

Thebariscoming

New
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:45 pm

Re: 3rd Time Bar Failure - Advice

Postby Thebariscoming » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:09 pm

Hey Cati! I have been reading your posts and I just wanted to offer my advice to you. Just like you, I have failed the bar previously and i am still waiting for my jurisdiction to release the feb results. I don't know what's going to happen but I can assure that life goes on and things work out eventually. I know failing can make you feel miserable about your circumstances and I too have been there. However, I refuse to let it kill my confidence. You will fall but you will rise again. Such situations make us strong. It doesn't seem like it now but someday it will. I know it's easier said than done but I have been there and I am still doing it. Whatever you decide to do, you will be victorious one day! Just something I tell myself- no matter how many times you destroy an ant's colony, they will build it again and again and again. Keep at it. We will reach our destination eventually. Stay strong!

valentina

New
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:28 pm

Re: 3rd Time Bar Failure - Advice

Postby valentina » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:50 pm

Sure, post an email and I will contact you.

Both b290 and Thebariscoming gave you pretty useful advice. b290 is right - you need to acknowledge your weaknesses in order to overcome them. Did you fail both parts? If you passed one of the sections, you don't have to retake it and will be able to focus wholly on the one you didn't pass. If you failed both parts, then clearly you have some serious soul searching and a lot of work to do. That's okay, though - take heart. You CAN pass the par. You just need a new strategy.

I've passed two bar exams (including FL) and am willing to help you with your essay writing. Let me know how to get in touch.

b290

Bronze
Posts: 283
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:28 pm

Re: 3rd Time Bar Failure - Advice

Postby b290 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:18 pm

Cati wrote:Hello...

Your thread title calls for advice, but you didn’t really provide much to advise on (it was really a vent-fest). Just as an attorney can’t give a client competent advice without “the whole story,” you can’t expect direction when you’re describing tangential things. That’s why I went with the “big picture”

When you’ve failed more than once, it’s clear that you’re doing something wrong - and it hasn’t been addressed. Even with what you say you did, it’s clear that: (a) Civ Pro isn’t your only weakness, or (b) you didn’t do enough amelioration, because you’re back at square one.

What you should post: “I’ve gotten ____ on the MBE, and my written scores are __, __, __, __, ___..., as opposed to when I took it last time where I got.....”, “my weakness is clearly ________, and _________”. Only THEN can people give you targeted advice where you know you’ll improve. Until you’ve done that (at least on your own), a change of tutor won’t solve anything.

As you know from Evidence, if it’s not relevant, it’s useless. More is not better. I’ve been in your shoes and it wasn’t until I systematically analyzed, then addressed, my problems that I saw improvement. Take Valentina’s offer, even just a convo can bring in different insights.

My $.02

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze
Posts: 451
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:27 am

Re: 3rd Time Bar Failure - Advice

Postby FinallyPassedTheBar » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:51 am

Cati wrote:Hello there. This is my 4th time failing the Florida Bar.
It has been rough on me, watching my fellow colleagues surpass me, get sworn in and start practicing time after time. This bar, due to the failure, I lost our on a job I was so very much looking forward to in the field I love.

...I feel like a failure, a burden to those around me and like I'm a loser. I feel like those around me look at me like I am nothing and a joke. I hide the fact I have failed so many times and conceal that I went to law school so people dont ask too many questions.

Bills are piling up, my clothes and shoes are look worn yet I cant afford anything and I feel useless.
Ive pushed so hard.

I work 2 jobs and possibly now 3. I was lucky enough to be able to take 2 months off to study for every bar and will continue to do so.
I dont know what I am doing wrong. The 2nd time I used Kaplan, adaptibar, and a tutor (J. Grossman) plus his lectures, this time I did Kaplan, adptibar, and J. Grossman lectures (I couldnt afford the tutoring). I did over 5k questions, multiple essays and tests. I would study 6-8hrs and near the end 10hrs.

I dont know what to do. What am I doing wrong.
Should I try Barbri? Though to go though the WHOLE barbri package seems like a misuse of time since now ill be a 4th time taker.

I cant keep doing what I am doing because obviously something isnt working.
I cant keep failing. Im ruining my career, my health, my relationships and my life.

Help.



I promised I would not post on this forum anymore because of current ownership. But I was alerted to this thread, and I had to reply.

Last year I passed the CA bar exam on my 8th TRY...which was 16 years after graduating from law school. So it is not impossible even with those ugly facts.

I don't want to make it sound so simplistic and formulaic, but major reason I passed the bar was too fold. First, the CA bar increased the MBE score weight to 50% of the total grade. Second, I killed the MBE. I knew I had reached a "ceiling" with my essay performance. So, I focused the majority of my studies on the MBE using Adaptibar, where I knew had a more reasonable (for me) possibility of increasing my score.

Now my personal situation may, or may not, be applicable to yours. It all depends on your essay/MBE performance on your previous tests. If you scored low on the MBE, maybe you weren't giving Adaptibar the full attention that it requires? Did you review all the answer choices (A through D) for each question, even the ones you got correct? One thing I can say though is that re-doing the entire Barbri course with those damn lectures is a waste of time.

hope2018

New
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:57 pm

Re: 3rd Time Bar Failure - Advice

Postby hope2018 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:09 pm

FinallyPassedTheBar wrote:
Cati wrote:Hello there. This is my 4th time failing the Florida Bar.
It has been rough on me, watching my fellow colleagues surpass me, get sworn in and start practicing time after time. This bar, due to the failure, I lost our on a job I was so very much looking forward to in the field I love.

...I feel like a failure, a burden to those around me and like I'm a loser. I feel like those around me look at me like I am nothing and a joke. I hide the fact I have failed so many times and conceal that I went to law school so people dont ask too many questions.

Bills are piling up, my clothes and shoes are look worn yet I cant afford anything and I feel useless.
Ive pushed so hard.

I work 2 jobs and possibly now 3. I was lucky enough to be able to take 2 months off to study for every bar and will continue to do so.
I dont know what I am doing wrong. The 2nd time I used Kaplan, adaptibar, and a tutor (J. Grossman) plus his lectures, this time I did Kaplan, adptibar, and J. Grossman lectures (I couldnt afford the tutoring). I did over 5k questions, multiple essays and tests. I would study 6-8hrs and near the end 10hrs.

I dont know what to do. What am I doing wrong.
Should I try Barbri? Though to go though the WHOLE barbri package seems like a misuse of time since now ill be a 4th time taker.

I cant keep doing what I am doing because obviously something isnt working.
I cant keep failing. Im ruining my career, my health, my relationships and my life.

Help.



I promised I would not post on this forum anymore because of current ownership. But I was alerted to this thread, and I had to reply.

Last year I passed the CA bar exam on my 8th TRY...which was 16 years after graduating from law school. So it is not impossible even with those ugly facts.

I don't want to make it sound so simplistic and formulaic, but major reason I passed the bar was too fold. First, the CA bar increased the MBE score weight to 50% of the total grade. Second, I killed the MBE. I knew I had reached a "ceiling" with my essay performance. So, I focused the majority of my studies on the MBE using Adaptibar, where I knew had a more reasonable (for me) possibility of increasing my score.

Now my personal situation may, or may not, be applicable to yours. It all depends on your essay/MBE performance on your previous tests. If you scored low on the MBE, maybe you weren't giving Adaptibar the full attention that it requires? Did you review all the answer choices (A through D) for each question, even the ones you got correct? One thing I can say though is that re-doing the entire Barbri course with those damn lectures is a waste of time.



Congratulations!!!! I hear you... I failed Cali bar 4x. I decided to take it again after they increased weight of MBE score. My strength is MBE. My last score in Feb 2017 exam prior to changing the scoring format was in 95 percentile (national). Similar to your situation I maxed out with my essay performance.

What was your line of work during the 16 years prior to passing CA bar?

Krissynateylee

New
Posts: 99
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:24 pm

Re: 3rd Time Bar Failure - Advice

Postby Krissynateylee » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:49 pm

Cati wrote:Hello there. This is my 4th time failing the Florida Bar.
It has been rough on me, watching my fellow colleagues surpass me, get sworn in and start practicing time after time. This bar, due to the failure, I lost our on a job I was so very much looking forward to in the field I love.

...I feel like a failure, a burden to those around me and like I'm a loser. I feel like those around me look at me like I am nothing and a joke. I hide the fact I have failed so many times and conceal that I went to law school so people dont ask too many questions.

Bills are piling up, my clothes and shoes are look worn yet I cant afford anything and I feel useless.
Ive pushed so hard.

I work 2 jobs and possibly now 3. I was lucky enough to be able to take 2 months off to study for every bar and will continue to do so.
I dont know what I am doing wrong. The 2nd time I used Kaplan, adaptibar, and a tutor (J. Grossman) plus his lectures, this time I did Kaplan, adptibar, and J. Grossman lectures (I couldnt afford the tutoring). I did over 5k questions, multiple essays and tests. I would study 6-8hrs and near the end 10hrs.

I dont know what to do. What am I doing wrong.
Should I try Barbri? Though to go though the WHOLE barbri package seems like a misuse of time since now ill be a 4th time taker.

I cant keep doing what I am doing because obviously something isnt working.
I cant keep failing. Im ruining my career, my health, my relationships and my life.

Help.


Have you tried taking the test in another jurisdiction with a lower pass mark? (I'm giving advise and i Don't even know how i did but this would be my other option if i get enough marks in another jurisdiction).

User avatar
Bartlet4President

New
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed May 17, 2017 8:27 pm

Re: 3rd Time Bar Failure - Advice

Postby Bartlet4President » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:13 pm

Cati wrote:
valentina wrote:
not guilty wrote:
valentina wrote:How am I able to send you a private message?

ppl would like to read your advice...


I want to offer personal help with contact information, which I am not willing to post on a private forum. If you can help me with sending a private message, that'd be great.


Hello valentina,

I would love to hear you advice....
Im not sure how to send a private message as I am also new. I could give you one of my e-mails if no one ends up telling how to PM.



Can’t PM

LockBox

Bronze
Posts: 474
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:05 pm

Re: 3rd Time Bar Failure - Advice

Postby LockBox » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:47 pm

Cati wrote:Hello there. This is my 4th time failing the Florida Bar.
It has been rough on me, watching my fellow colleagues surpass me, get sworn in and start practicing time after time. This bar, due to the failure, I lost our on a job I was so very much looking forward to in the field I love.

...I feel like a failure, a burden to those around me and like I'm a loser. I feel like those around me look at me like I am nothing and a joke. I hide the fact I have failed so many times and conceal that I went to law school so people dont ask too many questions.

Bills are piling up, my clothes and shoes are look worn yet I cant afford anything and I feel useless.
Ive pushed so hard.

I work 2 jobs and possibly now 3. I was lucky enough to be able to take 2 months off to study for every bar and will continue to do so.
I dont know what I am doing wrong. The 2nd time I used Kaplan, adaptibar, and a tutor (J. Grossman) plus his lectures, this time I did Kaplan, adptibar, and J. Grossman lectures (I couldnt afford the tutoring). I did over 5k questions, multiple essays and tests. I would study 6-8hrs and near the end 10hrs.

I dont know what to do. What am I doing wrong.
Should I try Barbri? Though to go though the WHOLE barbri package seems like a misuse of time since now ill be a 4th time taker.

I cant keep doing what I am doing because obviously something isnt working.
I cant keep failing. Im ruining my career, my health, my relationships and my life.

Help.


Here is my advice: YOU need to figure out what you need to do to pass. Stop looking to Barbri, Kaplan, or tutors. You've gone through all of those already and it hasn't helped. It's time for YOU to do your own assessment, answer some hard questions and put together a program that you know will not only help you pass but put you WELL over the mark.

Look to shore up your weaknesses, and build on your strengths. For myself, I took the 9 weeks before the bar, worked 9-5 everyday on bar prep. I did no less than 50 MBE's per day, and no less than 2 essays full written per day. I had at least 30 essays graded by a bar grader. I kept track of everything and kept myself accountable.

It's tough, especially fighting the emotional turmoil of going through it again. But if it's worth it to you, you need to put your head down, grind, with the understanding that you're just trying to put yourself in a position to pass - there are no guarantees. I feel for you. Good luck.

Cati

New
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:01 pm

Re: 3rd Time Bar Failure - Advice

Postby Cati » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:29 pm

LockBox wrote:
Cati wrote:Hello there. This is my 4th time failing the Florida Bar.
It has been rough on me, watching my fellow colleagues surpass me, get sworn in and start practicing time after time. This bar, due to the failure, I lost our on a job I was so very much looking forward to in the field I love.

...I feel like a failure, a burden to those around me and like I'm a loser. I feel like those around me look at me like I am nothing and a joke. I hide the fact I have failed so many times and conceal that I went to law school so people dont ask too many questions.

Bills are piling up, my clothes and shoes are look worn yet I cant afford anything and I feel useless.
Ive pushed so hard.

I work 2 jobs and possibly now 3. I was lucky enough to be able to take 2 months off to study for every bar and will continue to do so.
I dont know what I am doing wrong. The 2nd time I used Kaplan, adaptibar, and a tutor (J. Grossman) plus his lectures, this time I did Kaplan, adptibar, and J. Grossman lectures (I couldnt afford the tutoring). I did over 5k questions, multiple essays and tests. I would study 6-8hrs and near the end 10hrs.

I dont know what to do. What am I doing wrong.
Should I try Barbri? Though to go though the WHOLE barbri package seems like a misuse of time since now ill be a 4th time taker.

I cant keep doing what I am doing because obviously something isnt working.
I cant keep failing. Im ruining my career, my health, my relationships and my life.

Help.


Here is my advice: YOU need to figure out what you need to do to pass. Stop looking to Barbri, Kaplan, or tutors. You've gone through all of those already and it hasn't helped. It's time for YOU to do your own assessment, answer some hard questions and put together a program that you know will not only help you pass but put you WELL over the mark.

Look to shore up your weaknesses, and build on your strengths. For myself, I took the 9 weeks before the bar, worked 9-5 everyday on bar prep. I did no less than 50 MBE's per day, and no less than 2 essays full written per day. I had at least 30 essays graded by a bar grader. I kept track of everything and kept myself accountable.

It's tough, especially fighting the emotional turmoil of going through it again. But if it's worth it to you, you need to put your head down, grind, with the understanding that you're just trying to put yourself in a position to pass - there are no guarantees. I feel for you. Good luck.



You are right and that is exactly what I need. When I say tutor I mean more so someone to direct me. Because what I am doing now, obviously is not working. I need a new direction and i know I don’t need to be watching 8hr lectures again etc etc. Been there done that. I need a new plan. But, idk what that is, hence why I need that direction. Once I have it, I can go and study and do what I need to do.

Cati

New
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:01 pm

Re: 3rd Time Bar Failure - Advice

Postby Cati » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:31 pm

valentina wrote:
not guilty wrote:
valentina wrote:How am I able to send you a private message?

ppl would like to read your advice...


I want to offer personal help with contact information, which I am not willing to post on a private forum. If you can help me with sending a private message, that'd be great.


You can email me at cbrown2@law.stetson.edu :)

Daktah

New
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:49 pm

Re: 3rd Time Bar Failure - Advice

Postby Daktah » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:53 pm

Cati wrote:Hello there. This is my 4th time failing the Florida Bar.
It has been rough on me, watching my fellow colleagues surpass me, get sworn in and start practicing time after time. This bar, due to the failure, I lost our on a job I was so very much looking forward to in the field I love.

...I feel like a failure, a burden to those around me and like I'm a loser. I feel like those around me look at me like I am nothing and a joke. I hide the fact I have failed so many times and conceal that I went to law school so people dont ask too many questions.

Bills are piling up, my clothes and shoes are look worn yet I cant afford anything and I feel useless.
Ive pushed so hard.

I work 2 jobs and possibly now 3. I was lucky enough to be able to take 2 months off to study for every bar and will continue to do so.
I dont know what I am doing wrong. The 2nd time I used Kaplan, adaptibar, and a tutor (J. Grossman) plus his lectures, this time I did Kaplan, adptibar, and J. Grossman lectures (I couldnt afford the tutoring). I did over 5k questions, multiple essays and tests. I would study 6-8hrs and near the end 10hrs.

I dont know what to do. What am I doing wrong.
Should I try Barbri? Though to go though the WHOLE barbri package seems like a misuse of time since now ill be a 4th time taker.

I cant keep doing what I am doing because obviously something isnt working.
I cant keep failing. Im ruining my career, my health, my relationships and my life.

Help.


I'll give the disclaimer that everyone uses: I'm not an expert and don't know your exact strengths/weaknesses. I did just pass a bar approximately 8 years after graduating law school. I'm giving a huge chunk of credit to the CriticalPass MBE flashcards. I was starting from a place where I had to re-learn a ton of material and it was very intimidating. I found a used deck for $15 on Craigslist and made a point of memorizing every card. It took a lot of time and patience, but I swear it's doable. And those cards had exactly what was asked on the MBE, the language was succinct and exactly as used on the MBE.

Don't want to say it's as simple as buying a deck of cards but if you need MBE help and haven't used these I highly recommend. I used BarPrep Hero questions/explanations (mostly because they're free), and Baroutlines.com lectures and outlines (again, mostly because of cost). I didn't want to pay for a review course and have a tight schedule so couldn't make the timing work. Outside of the BarPrepHero MBE questions I didn't do a lot of practice questions or essays - I just spent my time memorizing the MBE cards and making sure I understood the content on the cards. A key to me seems to be in making sure the MBE material is all crammed in your head and accessible on demand (e.g., my answer to an MEE question on property and title covenants was basically a regurgitation of the CriticalPass covenant card) . A lot of that material has since found it's way out of my head (what's a covenant???), but it was there for the test.

Good luck!



Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests