How much does not completing second MPT hurt your score

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
jrstephens1991

Bronze

How much does not completing second MPT hurt your score

Postby jrstephens1991 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:05 am

If you're in a UBE jurisdiction where the MPT counts for 20% or in a jurisdiction where it counts for a little less how much does it hurt your score if you do really well on the first MPT but aren't even able to cover everything asked in the second? Seems like all the courses say to make sure you at least have a conclusion even if you don't finish which is why I'm worried. :?

pech71

New

Re: How much does not completing second MPT hurt your score

Postby pech71 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:56 am

Go to https://www.seperac.com/ . He has good information on this. I think the lowest score possible is 29 or something and he did a comparison where someone who just wrote a conclusion and some facts got a 38 which is huge compare to 29.

Mobster1983

New

Postby Mobster1983 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:11 pm

Having a “complete” answer is a major part of the MPE as it tests your ability on time management. So writing a conclusing gives you points for both “completing the assignment” and for the conclusion itself. Not having those on there are just leaving free points on the table, which is why all the courses recommend making sure you have a conclusion, even if you just throw something there in the last minute. Not having one means you get zero points for that part of the question.

So it really depends on how well you did on the first MPE question and the rest of the second. If you did well, then you probably don’t have anything to worry about. If your answers are borderline, then just completing the essay could be what brings you up just enough to pass.

Nothing you can do at this point though so as difficult as it is, just try to keep your mind off it. Good luck.

L_William_W

Bronze

Postby L_William_W » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:38 pm

jrstephens1991 wrote:If you're in a UBE jurisdiction where the MPT counts for 20% or in a jurisdiction where it counts for a little less how much does it hurt your score if you do really well on the first MPT but aren't even able to cover everything asked in the second? Seems like all the courses say to make sure you at least have a conclusion even if you don't finish which is why I'm worried. :?

On the July 2017 NY UBE exam, I completely fucked up on the MPT- I think it's an unfair section, but that's another issue. I passed NY with a 278 UBE, but only because my MBE (149.3) carried me. I didn't receive a breakdown of my essay scores, but with the exception of the secured transactions essay, I felt comfortable with every essay. I'd only worry if you messed up on the MPT AND the essays.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?