Took the PA Bar Exam for the second time in February 2018...wondering if my new approach worked Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
profbarexamtaker

New

Re: Took the PA Bar Exam for the second time in February 2018...wondering if my new approach worked

Post by profbarexamtaker » Wed May 02, 2018 3:02 pm

PhillyJD wrote:Honestly it’s become really hard to stay motivated anymore. I’m getting rejected from clerkship jobs and the only thing I have where I’m using my JD is where I’m volunteering for a judge. I didn’t have to go to law school for that. It’s at the point where I hate the fact that I went to law school because I’m in a career field where nobody is giving me a chance and here I’ve failed the bar twice. It’s difficult to stay motivated to pass a test for a career that I clearly cannot get a chance in. My only reason for continuing to study for this test is because I want to pass it and shut everyone up who may think I was not capable of doing it. But after that I’m prepared to walk away from the practice of law. Why shouldn’t I? I’m not getting any chances, I’ve had my law degree almost a year, and I actually get really angry when people say what a valuable degree it is and how they’re proud of me for having it. I got it for one reason and one reason only, to practice law. If I can’t use it for that I don’t want it. If it’s so fucking valuable, it’s too bad I can’t sell it and pay off my student loans.
Today is the deadline for if I was to sign up for Themis. I’m considering them. The way that I’ve been practicing so far (when I can motivate myself enough to do it) is I’ve been reading the strategies and tactics Emanuel book, sixth edition. I covered Civ Pro (my weakest subject) and did the 40 questions in the back. 18/40. I then spent a few days handwriting all the rules and answer explanations in addition to reading them. Then I typed them all up with the intention of reorganizing them into an outline to help hammer the rule home. Once I do that for all seven subjects, I can tighten up with the conviser. Then with adaptibar I have the questions to keep testing myself. The essays, I have plans for that. Barbri has a book for the essays with all the past exams and the examiner analyses so I’ll just do that instead of the model sample answer. Honestly I’m not even hoping anymore because last time I thought I’d be in the safe zone and did everything I could but it wasn’t enough. So this is my last time. Because I can’t keep going into the shit with everyone thinking I’m going to pass and then when I don’t, people then say oh well maybe you should try this or that. Barbri told me I was going to do 20 points better on the MBE but I actually did one point worse. So...should I bother with Themis or no?

If you really want to practice, you have to stay motivated and stay focused. There are TONS of folks across the country who graduated way before you and are still getting on their feet, professionally speaking. Chin up, vision laser sharp. This profession isn't for the weak and setbacks are tests of your character.

b290

Bronze

Re: Took the PA Bar Exam for the second time in February 2018...wondering if my new approach worked

Post by b290 » Thu May 03, 2018 6:31 pm

PhillyJD wrote:
maxmartin wrote:
PhillyJD wrote:Honestly...
Do you have to stay in PA? Choose an easy UBE state might not be a bad idea.
Too late for that. I’ve already signed up for PA and I don’t have the money to pay late fees for a UBE state like New Jersey. I’ll do this and pass, but I won’t be surprised if in October I still don’t have a job in this field. So fuck it.
Maxmartin has a point. If you really want to practice (somewhere), you don’t have to stay in PA. Until Penn adopts the UBE, you’re really restricted, accounting for the 400-pt score
profbarexamtaker wrote: If you really want to practice, you have to stay motivated and stay focused. There are TONS of folks across the country who graduated way before you and are still getting on their feet, professionally speaking. Chin up, vision laser sharp. This profession isn't for the weak and setbacks are tests of your character.
+1 Well said.

Every problem has a solution. Remember that - that’s why people will pay you as an attorney. How do you expect people to trust you with their money/livelihoods/lives when you’re despairing this much over your own situation?

Despair = lack of motivation. Lack of motivation = lack of focus. Lack of focus = you do not pass. You need to get your mind in order before you take the exam.

My $.02

PhillyJD

New

Post by PhillyJD » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:34 pm

So guys...it’s been a hell of a run. Many ups and downs. Found a tutor to help me with shit. I bought the strategies and tactics of the MBE book, 6th edition of course since it has a civ pro chapter. Here’s what I did: is read a chapter, then do the MBE questions at the back. Then I’d grade myself and craft rule explanations out of all four answer explanations at the back of the chapters. I’d handwrite them, then I’d type them. Then I’d do MBE questions on adaptibar and watch my scores go up, stay the same, or go down but then go up. The order I’d go with subjects was I started with the subjects I did the worst in based on last test and saved the easiest ones for last. For adaptibar I was averaging about the state average but some subjects were weighing me down. I’d do sets of 40 problems for a new adaptibar subject (one I just finished attacking with the strategies and taxtics book by Emanuel and 10-20 for the ones I already covered. The problems I got wrong or stumbled into a right answer, I added to that subject’s list of rule explanations. This time a week ago I was freaking out because I was doing piss poor in property (my third worst subject on the last test) and had been reading the conviser but didn’t see a fast enough increase. A few days ago I did the simulated MBE at the back of the Emanuel book. Timed conditions and everything. Raw score of 133/200. Hopefully this ain’t a fluke. The good thing about this book is the MBE questions are real. So real that I also saw at least a couple of them on adaptibar as I used that. I’m going through the simulated MBE questions and picking out the ones I got wrong plus the ones I was unsure of and writing explanations or notes for them. The rest I’ll just read over. I need to do more essay work. Oh btw I have done essays for pretty much every subject as I covered it in the Emanuel book except criminal law since that was my best score last exam. Now I’m doing full essay questions (the one thing Barbri is good for Bedford the conviser). I know I don’t have time to get through all of them but I’ll manage. And the ones I don’t get, I’ll review the hell out of the examiner analysis instead of just the model sample answer this time. What do you think my chances are this time, guys?

Lawworld19

Bronze

Post by Lawworld19 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:04 pm

PhillyJD wrote:So guys...it’s been a hell of a run. Many ups and downs. Found a tutor to help me with shit. I bought the strategies and tactics of the MBE book, 6th edition of course since it has a civ pro chapter. Here’s what I did: is read a chapter, then do the MBE questions at the back. Then I’d grade myself and craft rule explanations out of all four answer explanations at the back of the chapters. I’d handwrite them, then I’d type them. Then I’d do MBE questions on adaptibar and watch my scores go up, stay the same, or go down but then go up. The order I’d go with subjects was I started with the subjects I did the worst in based on last test and saved the easiest ones for last. For adaptibar I was averaging about the state average but some subjects were weighing me down. I’d do sets of 40 problems for a new adaptibar subject (one I just finished attacking with the strategies and taxtics book by Emanuel and 10-20 for the ones I already covered. The problems I got wrong or stumbled into a right answer, I added to that subject’s list of rule explanations. This time a week ago I was freaking out because I was doing piss poor in property (my third worst subject on the last test) and had been reading the conviser but didn’t see a fast enough increase. A few days ago I did the simulated MBE at the back of the Emanuel book. Timed conditions and everything. Raw score of 133/200. Hopefully this ain’t a fluke. The good thing about this book is the MBE questions are real. So real that I also saw at least a couple of them on adaptibar as I used that. I’m going through the simulated MBE questions and picking out the ones I got wrong plus the ones I was unsure of and writing explanations or notes for them. The rest I’ll just read over. I need to do more essay work. Oh btw I have done essays for pretty much every subject as I covered it in the Emanuel book except criminal law since that was my best score last exam. Now I’m doing full essay questions (the one thing Barbri is good for Bedford the conviser). I know I don’t have time to get through all of them but I’ll manage. And the ones I don’t get, I’ll review the hell out of the examiner analysis instead of just the model sample answer this time. What do you think my chances are this time, guys?

Appreciate your stick- with- it- ness. I am sitting for Ohio. Pretty freaked out. My MBE scores blow, and I worked full time at a stressful ass job.

My MBE scores went from 50's (awful) to 60's really because of jdadvising MBE one sheets and the MBE guide. You should check out the MBE guide (about 100 pages) says there is a 7 point average jump after tearing through it. I thought it was legit.

PhillyJD

New

Post by PhillyJD » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:16 am

Lawworld19 wrote:
PhillyJD wrote:So guys...it’s been a hell of a run. Many ups and downs. Found a tutor to help me with shit. I bought the strategies and tactics of the MBE book, 6th edition of course since it has a civ pro chapter. Here’s what I did: is read a chapter, then do the MBE questions at the back. Then I’d grade myself and craft rule explanations out of all four answer explanations at the back of the chapters. I’d handwrite them, then I’d type them. Then I’d do MBE questions on adaptibar and watch my scores go up, stay the same, or go down but then go up. The order I’d go with subjects was I started with the subjects I did the worst in based on last test and saved the easiest ones for last. For adaptibar I was averaging about the state average but some subjects were weighing me down. I’d do sets of 40 problems for a new adaptibar subject (one I just finished attacking with the strategies and taxtics book by Emanuel and 10-20 for the ones I already covered. The problems I got wrong or stumbled into a right answer, I added to that subject’s list of rule explanations. This time a week ago I was freaking out because I was doing piss poor in property (my third worst subject on the last test) and had been reading the conviser but didn’t see a fast enough increase. A few days ago I did the simulated MBE at the back of the Emanuel book. Timed conditions and everything. Raw score of 133/200. Hopefully this ain’t a fluke. The good thing about this book is the MBE questions are real. So real that I also saw at least a couple of them on adaptibar as I used that. I’m going through the simulated MBE questions and picking out the ones I got wrong plus the ones I was unsure of and writing explanations or notes for them. The rest I’ll just read over. I need to do more essay work. Oh btw I have done essays for pretty much every subject as I covered it in the Emanuel book except criminal law since that was my best score last exam. Now I’m doing full essay questions (the one thing Barbri is good for Bedford the conviser). I know I don’t have time to get through all of them but I’ll manage. And the ones I don’t get, I’ll review the hell out of the examiner analysis instead of just the model sample answer this time. What do you think my chances are this time, guys?

Appreciate your stick- with- it- ness. I am sitting for Ohio. Pretty freaked out. My MBE scores blow, and I worked full time at a stressful ass job.

My MBE scores went from 50's (awful) to 60's really because of jdadvising MBE one sheets and the MBE guide. You should check out the MBE guide (about 100 pages) says there is a 7 point average jump after tearing through it. I thought it was legit.
Thanks man. Did you sit and read that 100 page guide or did you take notes with it too?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

titusandromedus

New

Post by titusandromedus » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:57 pm

To those who have taken the exam before - do you have any idea what the scale up is from PA raw essay score to the scaled score? I've found a lot of information on the MBE being about 10-15 points up but I can't really find anything reliable on how many points are added to our essays to scale it to the MBE. I'm just trying to figure out what a good raw score would be.

Thanks!

Lawworld19

Bronze

Post by Lawworld19 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:59 pm

PhillyJD wrote:
Lawworld19 wrote:

Thanks man. Did you sit and read that 100 page guide or did you take notes with it too?
Just tear thru it, one subject a day (only takes 45 mins a subject) and go thru it twice. We still have time!

That is what I am doing. How close are you missing the bar cut off score by?

PhillyJD

New

Post by PhillyJD » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:28 pm

Lawworld19 wrote:
PhillyJD wrote:
Lawworld19 wrote:

Just tear thru it, one subject a day (only takes 45 mins a subject) and go thru it twice. We still have time!

That is what I am doing. How close are you missing the bar cut off score by?
So the first time I took it and used solely Barbri, my simulated MBE score was an 87 raw so like a 104 scaled. The real test was a 254 and my MBE was a 130. Essays were garbage but a lot of that was due to not putting space between paragraphs so I know that pissed the examiners off but I didn’t think it’d be a problem while doing it. Found out when a Barbri essay grader told me not to do that during the second time around and I was getting really high grades on my essays ever since. The second time I took it, my simulated MBE was a 104 raw so basically a 119 or 120 scaled. The real thing, my final score was a 264, MBE score actually went down. Bear in mind I’d been using Barbri’s MBE questions this whole time. THIS time, the third time around, all the questions were real released questions except civ pro because there aren’t many of those that have been released. And now my simulated MBE score is a 133 raw. Essays, my tutor has been saying I’ve done really well with those. So to answer your question I’ve been coming pretty close.

PhillyJD

New

Post by PhillyJD » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:27 pm

Holy shit. Just did another adaptibar OPE test. 86% accuracy overall. 81.3% (13/16) for con law, 94.4% (17/18) for contracts, 100% (16/16) for Crim law, 75% (12/16) for evidence, 68.8% (11/16) for property, and 94.4% (17/18) for torts. I don’t believe it. I must be dreaming.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PhillyJD

New

Post by PhillyJD » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:11 pm

Update guys. I passed the Pennsylvania bar exam for July 2018, currently studying for New Jersey,February 2019. Adaptibar and the Emanuel book really work!

fpkjd

New

Post by fpkjd » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:35 pm

I'm doing really well with Adapibar, too. Continuing to work on things for the Feb Exam, but I'm feeling very confident about passing this time.

fpkjd

New

Post by fpkjd » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:02 pm

Continuing to do well with Adaptibar (in about the 65%/70% correct range) and also working on State Essay questions and issue-spotting. Getting quite ready for next week.

--FPKJD

kms181

New

Post by kms181 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:05 pm

fpkjd wrote:Continuing to do well with Adaptibar (in about the 65%/70% correct range) and also working on State Essay questions and issue-spotting. Getting quite ready for next week.

--FPKJD
Good luck! Been following you since we got results on the July PA Bar- sounds like you're well on your way. Hope all the best for you this time!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”