July 2018 Texas Bar Exam

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
MBernard

New

Re: July 2018 Texas Bar Exam

Postby MBernard » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:54 pm

SloppyHandwriting wrote:
I just bought the book. At this point, I'm desperate for anything that might help me actually learn wtf is in these TX essays.

Also, do I really need to spend time and review Federal Corp Taxation, Federal Estate and Gift Tax, and Fed Income Tax? What are the chances these will be on the bar? I'd rather spend my time on other shit.

Skip those. Those topics are ancillary and as such are way less likely to appear. When I studied for the TBX I went over every exam year that was posted, cross-over topics rarely appear. If they do appear, likely it’ll be bankruptcy w/family law and Business Associations w/Tax. Again, this rarely happens.

It’s way more important that you home in on the core topics (Property, UCC stuff, Wills, Family + CP, etc). Good luck!

OMLS48

New

Postby OMLS48 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:35 pm

Did what I would consider a solid effort throughout my lectures in learning the essay subjects and reviewed the materials pretty thoroughly, but now having gone through years of essays, there are mountains of rules we definitely didn't cover. Pretty frustrating, but at least I'm learning them now. :|

Itwasascam

New

Postby Itwasascam » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:57 pm

OMLS48 wrote:Did what I would consider a solid effort throughout my lectures in learning the essay subjects and reviewed the materials pretty thoroughly, but now having gone through years of essays, there are mountains of rules we definitely didn't cover. Pretty frustrating, but at least I'm learning them now. :|

Aren’t the answers BLE provides perfect or model answers though? I assume as long as you have a goods understanding of the material covered by the bar course you should pass

OMLS48

New

Postby OMLS48 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:04 pm

Itwasascam wrote:
OMLS48 wrote:Did what I would consider a solid effort throughout my lectures in learning the essay subjects and reviewed the materials pretty thoroughly, but now having gone through years of essays, there are mountains of rules we definitely didn't cover. Pretty frustrating, but at least I'm learning them now. :|

Aren’t the answers BLE provides perfect or model answers though? I assume as long as you have a goods understanding of the material covered by the bar course you should pass

I mean, I would like to think so, but there are questions (not too many) that were absolutely not covered in my Kaplan materials. I'm not sweating it too much knowing I can learn it or at least memorize something resembling a rule in the next two weeks. Also, aspiring to get as close as possible to the model answer.

BigCityDreams

New

Postby BigCityDreams » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:06 pm

Itwasascam wrote:

Technically some of the answers on the BLE website are wrong or simply misstate the law. I was advised to only look at those if feeling really discouraged because they are not model answers. Those were just simply the answers the examiners liked best or were the least wrong.

Is anyone focusing mostly on Guardianship instead of Trusts? Barbri seems quite sure it will be a guardianship essay this time but they were also very sure for February and they turned out to be wrong!

OMLS48

New

Postby OMLS48 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:19 pm

BigCityDreams wrote:
Itwasascam wrote:

Technically some of the answers on the BLE website are wrong or simply misstate the law. I was advised to only look at those if feeling really discouraged because they are not model answers. Those were just simply the answers the examiners liked best or were the least wrong.

Is anyone focusing mostly on Guardianship instead of Trusts? Barbri seems quite sure it will be a guardianship essay this time but they were also very sure for February and they turned out to be wrong!

You gotta be kidding. I know next to nothing about Guardianship. Kinda knew it was a real possibility, but I've been willfully ignorant to that possibility :(

BigCityDreams

New

Postby BigCityDreams » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:59 pm

OMLS48 wrote:
BigCityDreams wrote:
Itwasascam wrote:

You gotta be kidding. I know next to nothing about Guardianship. Kinda knew it was a real possibility, but I've been willfully ignorant to that possibility :(

Im not for sure that it will be one or the other but there has been 3 Trusts essays in a row and if we get one that will be a fourth. Im just trying to divide my time between both...

SloppyHandwriting

New

Postby SloppyHandwriting » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:12 pm

MBernard wrote:
SloppyHandwriting wrote:
I just bought the book. At this point, I'm desperate for anything that might help me actually learn wtf is in these TX essays.

Also, do I really need to spend time and review Federal Corp Taxation, Federal Estate and Gift Tax, and Fed Income Tax? What are the chances these will be on the bar? I'd rather spend my time on other shit.

Skip those. Those topics are ancillary and as such are way less likely to appear. When I studied for the TBX I went over every exam year that was posted, cross-over topics rarely appear. If they do appear, likely it’ll be bankruptcy w/family law and Business Associations w/Tax. Again, this rarely happens.

It’s way more important that you home in on the core topics (Property, UCC stuff, Wills, Family + CP, etc). Good luck!

Following up on the book I purchased (see above). I have found, so far, the book to be helpful as an accessory. I finished all substantive lectures, outlines, etc. The book first talks through a good method of organizing heading, rule, and application/analysis. While I was aware of all these things, the method outlined in the book helped streamline things for me. Next, the book walks though each TX MEE subject in brief. The major stuff. Big rules, etc. I found that when writing essays, I had my rule statements down (partly because of the book) and my prior random tidbits of knowledge helped with random ass rules. The book also has a ton essay prompts from the BLE website. The answers (i.e., the "best essays") are online.

If you are feeling unsure about your essays and grasp on the subjects (I'm in new to the JX and had never dealt with a few subjects, e.g., Oil & Gas, commercial paper (which wasn't on my last bar)), this book will help put you at ease.

Cheers and good luck, all.

kau11

New

Postby kau11 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:04 pm

Does anyone have any idea when Texas will be adopting the UBE?

NonbindingPrecedent

New

Postby NonbindingPrecedent » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:04 pm

kau11 wrote:Does anyone have any idea when Texas will be adopting the UBE?

The idea is being actively considered and the fact that other large jurisdictions (i.e. NY and IL) have adopted it is likely to carry persuasive weight. If you look over the minutes from the BLE meetings (https://ble.texas.gov/board-meeting-minutes) (especially the most recent one) you see they have formed a Uniform Bar Exam Committee and are expected to report back soon. With the momentum moving toward UBE and Illinois recent announcement, I would not be surprised if we get an announcement by the end of the year that the July 2019 exam will be UBE (or at least by July 2020 at the latest).

barprep2018

New

Postby barprep2018 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:00 pm

SloppyHandwriting wrote:
MBernard wrote:
SloppyHandwriting wrote:

Following up on the book I purchased (see above). I have found, so far, the book to be helpful as an accessory. I finished all substantive lectures, outlines, etc. The book first talks through a good method of organizing heading, rule, and application/analysis. While I was aware of all these things, the method outlined in the book helped streamline things for me. Next, the book walks though each TX MEE subject in brief. The major stuff. Big rules, etc. I found that when writing essays, I had my rule statements down (partly because of the book) and my prior random tidbits of knowledge helped with random ass rules. The book also has a ton essay prompts from the BLE website. The answers (i.e., the "best essays") are online.

If you are feeling unsure about your essays and grasp on the subjects (I'm in new to the JX and had never dealt with a few subjects, e.g., Oil & Gas, commercial paper (which wasn't on my last bar)), this book will help put you at ease.

Cheers and good luck, all.

How are you using the book? To memorize? It's like lean sheets? Or contain more information?

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?