2018 July California Bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Blueplanet

New

Re: 2018 July California Bar

Post by Blueplanet » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:52 pm

Anyone find the MBE completely different to the Kaplan and Barmax examples? I can get 80% on those but found the MBE awkward.

Santa Clara C C was cold too.

Angel66

New

Post by Angel66 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:06 pm

mimim8 wrote:
a male human wrote:
JakeTappers wrote:
a male human wrote:
itsyerboythundercat wrote:
a male human wrote:
itsyerboythundercat wrote:can someone give a ballpark in re: to what %age would be passing on MBE and what scores would be needed for essays/ PT? just ball park is fine..i know ever exam / session is different . thanks folks!
You can try plugging in different numbers here: https://one-timers.com/one-timers-bar-exam-calculator/

Generally, raw scores of 60-65 on each essay and PT and 65% correct on MBE would put you on track to pass.

What are your raw scores for that exam? Thx!

thanks! appreciate your insight throughout these past few weeks/ months . magic sheets have been a tremendous resource.
Awesome, glad to have been a resource for you. Best of luck.
Realized that you are the creator of the calculator (thanks!). Wanted to know how you came about the 128 MBE for attorney’s exam applicants (me). It seems like this then requires lower essay scores (60 v 65), which would mean easier to pass, even with the subjectivity. But the pass rate thus far doesn’t really show that. Just wondering as I’m going nuts on myself post-exam.
Sorry to say I'm not the creator of the calculator.

I don't know about the 128 score used. I'm guessing it puts one on track for 1440 scaled MBE score? Historically speaking, you need an average raw written score of 62.5 or so to be on track to 1440 scaled written score (meaning you'd pass if your scaled MBE score was also on par). You can use that as a guideline as you estimate various combinations of your essay scores in paranoia over the next 4 months.
I wouldnt rely on the calculator.
If I input my scores for the July 2017 Atty exam plus the 128 for MBE it has me passing by 6 points, whereas I actually failed by like 50.

Underoath

Bronze

Post by Underoath » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:12 pm

1st half of MBE was a breeze, no issues. Afternoon session gave me problems. I'm starting to doubt again that I will pass. Until November.....

Happy88

New

Post by Happy88 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:21 pm

Underoath wrote:1st half of MBE was a breeze, no issues. Afternoon session gave me problems. I'm starting to doubt again that I will pass. Until November.....
I struggled with the morning session way more than the afternoon. Ugh, I was guessing the answer between the best two answers after elimination for almost every question. I have a horrible feeling that I will not pass and just want to crawl in a corner and cry.

AspiringAspirant

New

Post by AspiringAspirant » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:38 pm

Happy88 wrote:
Underoath wrote:1st half of MBE was a breeze, no issues. Afternoon session gave me problems. I'm starting to doubt again that I will pass. Until November.....
I struggled with the morning session way more than the afternoon. Ugh, I was guessing the answer between the best two answers after elimination for almost every question. I have a horrible feeling that I will not pass and just want to crawl in a corner and cry.
You can miss a ton of questions and still pass. Don't stress when it does nothing for you and may very well be over nothing!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KillrB

New

Post by KillrB » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:51 pm

Guys, Lou was a really bad lawyer.

JakeTappers

Bronze

Post by JakeTappers » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:55 pm

Angel66 wrote:
If I input my scores for the July 2017 Atty exam plus the 128 for MBE it has me passing by 6 points, whereas I actually failed by like 50.
[/quote]

Yea, again, I just don’t know what to put in for MBE score if I took the attorney’s exam. 1440?

cadreamer

New

Post by cadreamer » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:59 am

JakeTappers wrote:
Angel66 wrote:
Yea, again, I just don’t know what to put in for MBE score if I took the attorney’s exam. 1440?[/quote]

What are you trying to calculate exactly? I don't think the calculator applies to your situation. Maybe we don't understand your concerns. as long as you average a passing written score you should be fine.

Naybor

New

Post by Naybor » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:40 am

MBE was taking shots at President Trump. That's all i took away from today

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Busyvee

New

Post by Busyvee » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:50 am

Naybor wrote:MBE was taking shots at President Trump. That's all i took away from today
I know right all those president power q
Lmao

Angel66

New

Post by Angel66 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:08 am

KillrB wrote:Guys, Lou was a really bad lawyer.
Ha ha ha! Agreed. :lol:

bru1n

New

Post by bru1n » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:23 am

Am I the only one who thought that this MBE was a complete shit show. Holy cow. I was scoring on average 69-72% on Kaplan's questions (which are not easy btw), and this MBE felt completely foreign. The answer choices were written so, so vaguely and poorly that even though I identified the proper issue and rule in the question, I felt I couldn't match anything remotely close to the answer questions. I feel as though I guessed on every other question.

If I had to guess, I think I got about anywhere from 65-75 questions wrong out of those 200. Do you guys think my chances at passing the MBE are completely shot? Yikes. What an awful note to end the bar.

Busyvee

New

Post by Busyvee » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:37 am

GoneSouth wrote:
Busyvee wrote:
Naybor wrote:MBE was taking shots at President Trump. That's all i took away from today
I know right all those president power q
Lmao
Seriously. "Can the president be sued for money damages while in office?" Ummm...the currently pending lawsuits against him say yes
:mrgreen:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lawlurk

New

Post by lawlurk » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:38 am

bru1n wrote:Am I the only one who thought that this MBE was a complete shit show. Holy cow. I was scoring on average 69-72% on Kaplan's questions (which are not easy btw), and this MBE felt completely foreign. The answer choices were written so, so vaguely and poorly that even though I identified the proper issue and rule in the question, I felt I couldn't match anything remotely close to the answer questions. I feel as though I guessed on every other question.

If I had to guess, I think I got about anywhere from 65-75 questions wrong out of those 200. Do you guys think my chances at passing the MBE are completely shot? Yikes. What an awful note to end the bar.
I was a hot mess on the morning session. Not only was I not cognitive because I will never be a morning person, alot of the material/questions seemed foreign. I had a watch, and at one point, I couldn't tell remember what time we started, thought I had an hour left, but maybe I didn't hear the warning of one hour, or they fucked up and didn't call it, or I had some lapse in consciousness when they called one hour due to my absence seizures. Unsure of myself and assuming I was not allowed to ask how much time remained, I rushed through even more so and actually did have an hour to spare. So then I half hazardly flipped through and reviewed some questions, changed some. Afternoon session, I set my clock to 12 so it was easy to read, took my time, and thought the questions weren't that hard. But since morning what such a shitshow, I am not sure if it will be possible to have redeemed myself. Sucks, I feel you.

Busyvee

New

Post by Busyvee » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:39 am

bru1n wrote:Am I the only one who thought that this MBE was a complete shit show. Holy cow. I was scoring on average 69-72% on Kaplan's questions (which are not easy btw), and this MBE felt completely foreign. The answer choices were written so, so vaguely and poorly that even though I identified the proper issue and rule in the question, I felt I couldn't match anything remotely close to the answer questions. I feel as though I guessed on every other question.

Morning was fine for me
Afternoon absolutely miserable

BlueLaw11

Bronze

Post by BlueLaw11 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:41 am

You're not alone, I'm in the same boat. Was scoring great with Themis' PQs but they apparently are totally useless because they were nothing like the questions on the MBE. Agreed that the answer choices (as well as most of the questions) were horribly written. It was frustrating to read a question and feel like I knew the answer/reasoning only to go to the answer choices and see bizarre, cryptic rule statements that seemed inapplicable.

This sucks.

biglawhopeful18

New

Post by biglawhopeful18 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:47 am

Busyvee wrote:

Morning was fine for me
Afternoon absolutely miserable

Same re Morning fine, Afternoon wtf.

Morning was basically broken into 1/3's. First 1/3 was simple, second 1/3 more challenging, last 1/3 evened out.
Afternoon was consistently tough aside from a couple fairly short stretches of easy. Was able to reason my way down to 2 answer choices on the tougher questions and blindly guessed on a couple/few

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lawlurk

New

Post by lawlurk » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:54 am

Are different test centers in CA given the test in a different order? I mean, I know the person sitting next to you will have the same set of questions for that session but in a different order. But, for example, will the SD center give us set 1 then set 2, while LA center is gives set 2 in the morning, and set 1 in the afternoon?

Wondering because consensus at my center was that the morning session was murderous. People generally felt better about second session. But if people are having a complete reverse reaction, I am wondering if it is due to the same set of questions.

Nicoelfreako

New

Post by Nicoelfreako » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:15 am

lawlurk wrote:Are different test centers in CA given the test in a different order? I mean, I know the person sitting next to you will have the same set of questions for that session but in a different order. But, for example, will the SD center give us set 1 then set 2, while LA center is gives set 2 in the morning, and set 1 in the afternoon?

Wondering because consensus at my center was that the morning session was murderous. People generally felt better about second session. But if people are having a complete reverse reaction, I am wondering if it is due to the same set of questions.

I had the same experience! Morning sucked for me. Immensely. But afternoon was alright. Maybe even easy.

bru1n

New

Post by bru1n » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:15 am

When they say aim to get ~65%, do they mean 65% before your score is scaled, or do you just need to get a 65% with your new scaled score?

114 raw/175 = ~65%.

So in order to pass with that raw score to get to a 1440 in CA, they have to scale it at least 30 points?! I'm missing something here.
Last edited by bru1n on Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nicoelfreako

New

Post by Nicoelfreako » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:00 pm

Then again, I never took CP and it was my least favorite topic within the bar prep course. Hated it. So I very well may be wrong. But I think it was at least points in terms of an argument H could make, even if my conclusion siding with him was ultimately incorrect

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

diatribe

New

Post by diatribe » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:18 pm

Nicoelfreako wrote:Then again, I never took CP and it was my least favorite topic within the bar prep course. Hated it. So I very well may be wrong. But I think it was at least points in terms of an argument H could make, even if my conclusion siding with him was ultimately incorrect
I loved Community Property and was almost crying when I saw it on the essays. My worst subjects were Con Law, Evidence, Contracts, and Remedies. I figured there was no way I'd have to do all of them. I don't need to tell you how shitty I felt up til I saw Community Property

tlsadmin3

Post by tlsadmin3 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:29 pm

First of all, CONGRATS for getting through these past few days. Hopefully, you can take a break and see if your lost mind comes wandering back. #walkaway

Second, please don't post questions from the bar or your answers. The bar is copyrighted and there are consequences to posting it. We are cleaning up this thread so many of your comments will be deleted. Thanks!

Angel66

New

Post by Angel66 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:33 pm

Nicoelfreako wrote:Then again, I never took CP and it was my least favorite topic within the bar prep course. Hated it. So I very well may be wrong. But I think it was at least points in terms of an argument H could make, even if my conclusion siding with him was ultimately incorrect
No worries! I’m sure you’ll get credit for the analysis. The conclusion doesn’t matter as much as the analysis for CBX.

CABAR6

New

Post by CABAR6 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:45 pm

Why are our post being monitored. Ha. Let’s predict the next essay subjects. Doc Sacuzzo got nothin on me

Feb 2019
1. Corps with PR (sex with clients, fees, competence)
2. Trusts
3. Property
4. Wills with CP
5. Crim (no procedure)
Wild card: Remedies
Wild card #2: UCC Contracts

Anyone else?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”