2018 July California Bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
a male human

Gold

Re: 2018 July California Bar

Post by a male human » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:20 pm

politibro44 wrote:Any advice on shoring up MBE troubles? I had been doing well on the MBE up until this point when I really turned my focus to essays. Now I'm bombing sets on Adaptibar. Should I focus on shoring up certain subjects I am struggling with (torts, civ pro) or just continue with mixed sets? Or even focus on substantive law review?

Also, I have been avoiding the barbri mixed sets entirely because they are not real MBEs. I assume this is probably best.

Is this happening to anyone else? I also think the questions I've been getting on Adaptibar are harder, but I can't really tell.
AdaptiBar adapts to your skill level (true to its name and as described in the patent). If questions are getting harder, maybe that's a "good" thing.

What's your thought on working on your weak subjects vs. keep doing mixed sets?
[+] Spoiler
I typically suggest keeping a "weakest three" ranking and focusing more on whatever those are at any point. Doesn't mean you stop working on the other subjects. So if you struggle with Torts and Civ Pro, make those like 40% (just making this up) of your questions.

Review of the law can come as you review the question explanations. Separately studying/memorizing outlines and such can take up no more than half of your time at this point.
My two cents. Does that seem workable?

LockBox

Bronze

Post by LockBox » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:19 pm

hearsay77 wrote:
politibro44 wrote:Should I focus on shoring up certain subjects I am struggling with (torts, civ pro) or just continue with mixed sets? Or even focus on substantive law review?
wondering the same thing
To echo A Male Human's advice, my procedure when I was doing MBE's were to do at least 50/day. Of those, the first 10 would be my lowest percentage subject, the next 10 or 20 would be the lowest 3 subjects, percentage wise, then the remainder mixed.

If you continue doing this you will always be working on whatever happens to be your weakest subject and, hopefully, that subject will change depending on your progress. It has the added benefit of allowing you to continue working on some other subjects per the mixed portion.

Atmosphere

Silver

Post by Atmosphere » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:01 pm

For everyone freaked out by the essays (as I am), I just want to say that I purchased the magicsheets/approsheets from makethisyourlasttime.com (hi a male human/brian!) and although I’m not fully comfortable yet, I feel confident that they are helping me reach the end goal. Definitely check them out.

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:03 pm

Atmosphere wrote:For everyone freaked out by the essays (as I am), I just want to say that I purchased the magicsheets/approsheets from makethisyourlasttime.com (hi a male human/brian!) and although I’m not fully comfortable yet, I feel confident that they are helping me reach the end goal. Definitely check them out.
Yo, thanks for the shoutout! I'm glad those sheets are helping you gain more confidence.

psg190

New

Post by psg190 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:24 pm

a male human wrote:
Atmosphere wrote:For everyone freaked out by the essays (as I am), I just want to say that I purchased the magicsheets/approsheets from makethisyourlasttime.com (hi a male human/brian!) and although I’m not fully comfortable yet, I feel confident that they are helping me reach the end goal. Definitely check them out.
Yo, thanks for the shoutout! I'm glad those sheets are helping you gain more confidence.
Alright, I bit as well. Figure they'll come in handy for February 2019.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:44 pm

psg190 wrote:
a male human wrote:
Thanks!

Weren't you studying to take it in July? Or are you studying now for February?

psg190

New

Post by psg190 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:50 pm

a male human wrote:
psg190 wrote:
a male human wrote:
Thanks!

Weren't you studying to take it in July? Or are you studying now for February?
Yeah, going to take in July, but I'm defeated at this point. Barring 13 days of compounding miracles, February is a foregone conclusion.

BlueLaw11

Bronze

Post by BlueLaw11 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:08 pm

Is it even worth learning the distinctions for CA Civil Procedure? Granted, I am doing Themis, but none of their practice Civ Pro essays are based on CA law. Not sure I want to devote time learning a bunch of useless rules with everything else on our plates

maiden42

New

Post by maiden42 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:38 pm

BlueLaw11 wrote:Is it even worth learning the distinctions for CA Civil Procedure? Granted, I am doing Themis, but none of their practice Civ Pro essays are based on CA law. Not sure I want to devote time learning a bunch of useless rules with everything else on our plates
I think just a few CA rules worth learning. The July 16 essay asked about CA service of process and CA venue. It also asked about PJ but I think it's the same analysis other than mentioning that the CA statute "extends all the way to the constitutional limit."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

maiden42

New

Post by maiden42 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:32 pm

Is it worth doing OPE-4? The NCBE exam? Or just finishing up Adaptibar’s random generator?

ladybug1989

Bronze

Post by ladybug1989 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:54 pm

I think I'm going to glance over my CA Civ Pro outline only once or twice, there is just too much other shit to cover. It's been tested only once, ever. And I feel like if it is tested, analysis under the Fed. CIv rules should earn some points. Knowing my luck though, there will be a full essay on CA Civ.

psg190

New

Post by psg190 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:22 pm

ladybug1989 wrote:I think I'm going to glance over my CA Civ Pro outline only once or twice, there is just too much other shit to cover. It's been tested only once, ever. And I feel like if it is tested, analysis under the Fed. CIv rules should earn some points. Knowing my luck though, there will be a full essay on CA Civ.
You just jinxed us all.

santoki

Silver

Post by santoki » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:42 am

what kind of Adaptibar benchmarks are you all aiming for as far as %?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:45 am

ladybug1989 wrote:I think I'm going to glance over my CA Civ Pro outline only once or twice, there is just too much other shit to cover. It's been tested only once, ever. And I feel like if it is tested, analysis under the Fed. CIv rules should earn some points. Knowing my luck though, there will be a full essay on CA Civ.
CA Civ Pro
CA Evidence
Corporations
Agency / PR crossover
Community Property / Wills / Real Property crossover

estefanchanning

Bronze

Post by estefanchanning » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:48 am

FinallyPassedTheBar wrote:
CA Civ Pro
CA Evidence
Corporations
Agency / PR crossover
I will literally fail if those are the essay topics.

justanotheruser

Bronze

Post by justanotheruser » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:02 am

Yeah, I doubt every essay will be CA-specific/related.
CA Civ Pro
CA Evidence
Corporations
Agency / PR crossover

MBernard

Post by MBernard » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:07 am

CA Civ Pro
CA Evidence
Corporations
Agency / PR crossover
That’s funny. I was talking to a friend the other day about what I thought the topics would be and your list is close to mine.

Difference is I thought it’d be the FRCP tested (as opposed to Ca Civ). Plus, instead of Corp I think it’ll be torts (either product liability, privacy torts or defamation). For some odd reason I don’t feel like it’ll be a Trusts year, but I’m prepared regardless.

You never know what’s going to happen.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

santoki

Silver

Post by santoki » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:15 pm

some MEEs will likely take longer than an hour while some will take less. however, i think paranoia will set in and i will either stick with an essay for too long or for not long enough to meet the "1 hour per essay" framework.

i'm sure the answer is "go with the flow" but does anyone have any tips on being able to recognize how much time we should be putting into each?

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:23 pm

MBernard wrote:
CA Civ Pro
CA Evidence
Corporations
Agency / PR crossover
That’s funny. I was talking to a friend the other day about what I thought the topics would be and your list is close to mine.

Difference is I thought it’d be the FRCP tested (as opposed to Ca Civ). Plus, instead of Corp I think it’ll be torts (either product liability, privacy torts or defamation). For some odd reason I don’t feel like it’ll be a Trusts year, but I’m prepared regardless.

You never know what’s going to happen.
There's a 0% chance that they test on 100% CA specific law like OP suggests. I also don't see corporations and agency both being tested because that has literally never happened before. At most there's a crossover question where that tests corporations and agency concepts.

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:08 am

My revised predictions:

CA Civ Pro / Fed Civ Pro crossover
CA Evidence / Fed Evidence crossover
Corporations / Torts /Agency crossover
Real Property / PR crossover
Community Property / Wills crossover

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:15 am

Sorry guys, I do not have any sort of scientific basis for my predictions. I was just thinking of the worst possible combination of topics the bar could could drop on examinees. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Naughty, I know. :oops: :oops:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ADR

New

Post by ADR » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:35 am

FinallyPassedTheBar wrote:Sorry guys, I do not have any sort of scientific basis for my predictions. I was just thinking of the worst possible combination of topics the bar could could drop on examinees. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

There has been a lot of cross over the last few bar cycles. My predictions are similar:
CA Evidence/crimes (Trial Context)
Corporations (shareholders/director/officers, duty of Loyalty, duty of Care)
Trust/Remedies (maybe some kind of constructive trust and equitable lien)
Professional Responsibility/Con Law (Commercial Advertisement/solicitation/Free Speech)
Ca Civil Procedure (Discovery/ Res Judicata/Collateral Estoppel )

Hope we have done enough!

chicoalto0649

Silver

Post by chicoalto0649 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:55 pm

ADR wrote:
FinallyPassedTheBar wrote:Sorry guys, I do not have any sort of scientific basis for my predictions. I was just thinking of the worst possible combination of topics the bar could could drop on examinees. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

There has been a lot of cross over the last few bar cycles. My predictions are similar:
CA Evidence/crimes (Trial Context)
Corporations (shareholders/director/officers, duty of Loyalty, duty of Care)
Trust/Remedies (maybe some kind of constructive trust and equitable lien)
Professional Responsibility/Con Law (Commercial Advertisement/solicitation/Free Speech)
Ca Civil Procedure (Discovery/ Res Judicata/Collateral Estoppel )

Hope we have done enough!
Not enough MBE topics. Last one had 3 pure MBE subjects with a crossover mixed in: crimanal law (technically a cross over with crim pro), con law, contracts (mixed with PR), and real property. Not that I have any investment in this, but I'l offer my ironclad predictions

1. Corporations. Pure unadulterated corporations.
2. Prof Responsibility mixed with an MBE subject. Maybe crimes or Fed Evidence (think duty of prosecutors etc)
3. Fed/CA Civ Pro(for CA Civ Pro, please, at the minimum learn some of the lingo so you don't get flustered. they could easily throw in a "demurrer" AKA motion to dismiss. easy to grasp, but could make people go bonkers)
4. Contracts and 1 of community property or truts
5. Con Law (commerce clause. they def can and will test 2 subjects in a row)

mrro

New

Post by mrro » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:25 pm

Strongly considering doing the CPT first before the essays.

Reasons:
Brain will be fresher and process faster.
CPT is worth more points per time allotted. (2.2 pts/min v. 1.7 pts/min)

Thoughts? Pros? Cons?

JohnnieSockran

Bronze

Post by JohnnieSockran » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:35 pm

mrro wrote:Strongly considering doing the CPT first before the essays.

Reasons:
Brain will be fresher and process faster.
CPT is worth more points per time allotted. (2.2 pts/min v. 1.7 pts/min)

Thoughts? Pros? Cons?
I thought about it, but decided not to. There's also a bit of a mental win leaving it for last, because then right before you get to the PT you've knocked out essays 4 and 5 and can feel done with needing to have substantive law rules memorized.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”