New York Bar exams study group for 2019 Feb or ongoing Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
drowongforhonour

New

New York Bar exams study group for 2019 Feb or ongoing

Post by drowongforhonour » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:20 am

Hi there, I wish to see if anyone preparing for New York Bar exams, as I am myself in early 30s. Please exchange tips or studying progress here or other stuff. I do not live in U.S.A. hence
I don't know where to form a study group.

For me I tried different jobs but it seemed like I want to head back to law because i) I got two other family members in legal field ii) two cousins in legal field iii) some close friends known from kindergarden years or primary school years also in legal field.

akuaroma

New

Re: New York Bar exams study group for 2019 Feb or ongoing

Post by akuaroma » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:38 pm

I am looking to take the NY Bar Feb 2019. I am a foreign lawyer, so my knowledge of US law is basically non-existent. I am in the process of signing up for Themis Bar Prep Course (not LLM Advantage) and will start prep ASAP. Have /will you signed up to any of the bar courses? Have you started studying for the exam? If so, how is it going so far? Are you a foreign lawyer as well?

kitkat18

New

Post by kitkat18 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:09 am

akuaroma wrote:I am looking to take the NY Bar Feb 2019. I am a foreign lawyer, so my knowledge of US law is basically non-existent. I am in the process of signing up for Themis Bar Prep Course (not LLM Advantage) and will start prep ASAP. Have /will you signed up to any of the bar courses? Have you started studying for the exam? If so, how is it going so far? Are you a foreign lawyer as well?
Hey, i am in a similar situation but will be doing a different state, if you want to correspond etc, send me a message.

sg.cambs

New

Post by sg.cambs » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:32 pm

Same situation as above! Foreign student and have just signed up to themis.

harold

New

Post by harold » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:10 am

I am also a foreign attorney looking at taking the NY bar in 2019.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

neem518

New

Post by neem518 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:16 am

Also a foreign lawyer here, JD in 1998, US Ll.M. (Georgetown) in 2007. Stayed home with kids until 2011, and now working as corporate paralegal. Not really much exposure to US substantive or procedural laws.

I'm taking the NY bar in Feb 2019. I work full-time, also have have 2 grade school kids who go to swim meets twice a month. I signed up with BarMax 2 weeks ago, just finished CivPro and now on Crimes. I chose BarMax because I know I won't be able to keep up with more voluminous materials and strict review schedules, and I will freak out if I can't keep up.

Planning to supplement with leansheets after I finish all subject, and Seperac issue spotting for essays closer to the exams.

I'm in the US right now, anyone wants to exchange info for emails and stuff, I'm open to that.

2018ukgrad

New

Post by 2018ukgrad » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:46 am

Hi! I'm a fresh grad, recently completed my LLB in UK.
No hands-on legal experience, no friends who are working towards the NY bar, and no knowledge of US law!
Currently looking at Themis vs Barmax, planning on getting Adaptibar too.
Does anyone have any helpful tips in regards to learning American law from scratch?

Also I'm new to this forum site, so I have no idea how to send messages. Please contact me if you're in a similar situation as me, or have any advice to share! Would really appreciate it!

2018ukgrad

New

Post by 2018ukgrad » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:42 am

I'm hoping to take the NY Bar in July 2019.
Please contact me by email or whatsapp!
I'd love to correspond with you guys!

pearlhyren@gmail.com
+85294874116

rfkm170884

New

Post by rfkm170884 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:11 am

Hi, same boat as everyone, I am a foreign lawyer (UK grad) working full-time and parent to a 4 year bundle of energy. I took the NY bar in July 2017. I did better in the MEE than in the MBE so I realized my biggest problem is I lack the knowledge of US law. I am now hoping to take the exam in February 2019. The tactic I am utilizing is as follows:

I am using Quimbee on particular topics that I need more help e.g. personal jurisdiction, Erie, hearsay, etc.
Once I finish an MBE topics I am using Smart Bar Prep to memorize the key rules. They also have a database of past MEE questions and answers to help with issue spotting and essay writing.
Once my Bar review courses (Kaplan) opens up, I will start doing MBE questions and essays.
At some point in November I hope to do as many MPTs as possible. That sadly dragged my score down and I attribute that to poor essay formatting and inability to write in the requested style I.e. memo, persuasive brief, etc.

I am also happy to set up a study group. I am still struggling with supplemental jurisdiction and appeals. So, it would be helpful to share ideas and approaches.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

akuaroma

New

Post by akuaroma » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:36 pm

I think because I am new here, I am unable to send messages. I've signed up to themis llm option and already started prep on the MBE subjects. If you are taking the ny bar in Feb 2019, send me an email and lets share ideas. akuaroma@gmail.com.

happyhour1122

Silver

Post by happyhour1122 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:59 am

Hey guys
Please let me know if you guys have any questions with studying,taking the ny bar!!

rfkm170884

New

Post by rfkm170884 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:38 pm

So, I started to do MBE questions on Kaplan. I feel like I am in a cycle where I spent two hours reading over notes then attempting to do some MBE questions, getting answers that completely throwing off what I felt I knew then procrastinating and trying the same thing the next days with even worse results. I am begining to attribute that to Kaplan MBE Q Bank, I have read people prefer Adaptibar or BarMax MBE since they are real MBE questions or people using Emmanuel's Strategies and Tactics. Does anyone have any experience with either or both?

CaYLaw

New

Post by CaYLaw » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:35 pm

Is there anyone actually living in the State of New York now who has already signed up for the February 2019 bar? Let me know.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

peanut53

New

Post by peanut53 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:15 pm

Anyone taking the 2019 February bar and live in Manhattan? I live on the UES and would love to have a study buddy - we don't necessarily have to talk, but we can go to the library/study cafe together. Please let me know!

alexandrasued

New

Post by alexandrasued » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:19 pm

I live in Queens, taking the February 2019 NY bar. Looking to study/discuss with someone in NY. If interested please send an email to asued@fullertonbeck.com

nightKNIGHT

New

Post by nightKNIGHT » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:22 pm

rfkm170884 wrote:Hi, same boat as everyone, I am a foreign lawyer (UK grad) working full-time and parent to a 4 year bundle of energy. I took the NY bar in July 2017. I did better in the MEE than in the MBE so I realized my biggest problem is I lack the knowledge of US law. I am now hoping to take the exam in February 2019. The tactic I am utilizing is as follows:

I am using Quimbee on particular topics that I need more help e.g. personal jurisdiction, Erie, hearsay, etc.
Once I finish an MBE topics I am using Smart Bar Prep to memorize the key rules. They also have a database of past MEE questions and answers to help with issue spotting and essay writing.
Once my Bar review courses (Kaplan) opens up, I will start doing MBE questions and essays.
At some point in November I hope to do as many MPTs as possible. That sadly dragged my score down and I attribute that to poor essay formatting and inability to write in the requested style I.e. memo, persuasive brief, etc.

I am also happy to set up a study group. I am still struggling with supplemental jurisdiction and appeals. So, it would be helpful to share ideas and approaches.

Hey! I will be taking the NY bar in Feb 2019 and I was thinking of getting the SmartBar Prep outlines as well. Have you gotten it yet? If so, how is it? I was wondering if we can get in touch to exchange resources - that will be great. My email is abi93.p@gmail.com

nightKNIGHT

New

Post by nightKNIGHT » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:44 pm

If anyone would like to exchange resources or want to keep in touch/help each other while we study, my email is abi93.p@gmail.com

:) Good luck everyone!!!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

shengeh

New

Post by shengeh » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:45 pm

I am a non-US applicant thinking of taking the bar in July 2019. Any tips are welcome! Currently looking for some others based in the UK to form a study group with. Still deciding which Bar Prep to use, suggestions will be helpful!

HopetohavepassedNY

New

Post by HopetohavepassedNY » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:11 pm

shengeh wrote:I am a non-US applicant thinking of taking the bar in July 2019. Any tips are welcome! Currently looking for some others based in the UK to form a study group with. Still deciding which Bar Prep to use, suggestions will be helpful!
Where in the UK are you based? I am based in London and aiming to sit NY bar exam in Jul 19.

2018ukgrad

New

Post by 2018ukgrad » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:50 pm

Hi! I've previously posted on this forum, saying that I would sit the July paper, but I've changed my mind and I'm sitting the paper in February instead. I'm currently enrolled with Themis' LLM course but it's been a really rough ride. I'm at 24%, but it's been a lot of work to not fall behind, and with Xmas around the corner, I can already see myself slacking and giving up. I hope we can keep each other motivated hahah

I'd love to get a convo and a study group going with my fellow test takers, but I don't check this forum account often and I'd hate to miss your messages.
If it's possible, could you guys hit me up through my email (pearlhyren@gmail.com) or my Whatsapp (+852 94874116)?
Good luck with your studies, guys! Hope to hear from y'all soon :D

ubebarstudying

Bronze

Post by ubebarstudying » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:56 pm

This is a great idea, I think. Having discussions or exchanging outlines or what have you can help everyone and highlight areas people may be having trouble with, plus it allows the advantage of hearing something you maybe do not understand well from another person as they understand it but phrased differently than your books or a lecturer may put it. Maybe create a facebook page or use google/gmail and it's chat functions so that you can put media up if you want to and have the option of posting/sending an e-mail or throwing it in a group chat. Just thought I'd throw some ideas out there, I know I had a small study group and we would sometimes compare outlines or flowcharts etc.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JBNYC

New

Post by JBNYC » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:22 pm

Agreed - I've found this bar exam FB group is very supportive if anyone is interested in checking it out too:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MTYLT/
ubebarstudying wrote:This is a great idea, I think. Having discussions or exchanging outlines or what have you can help everyone and highlight areas people may be having trouble with, plus it allows the advantage of hearing something you maybe do not understand well from another person as they understand it but phrased differently than your books or a lecturer may put it. Maybe create a facebook page or use google/gmail and it's chat functions so that you can put media up if you want to and have the option of posting/sending an e-mail or throwing it in a group chat. Just thought I'd throw some ideas out there, I know I had a small study group and we would sometimes compare outlines or flowcharts etc.

shengeh

New

Post by shengeh » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:35 pm

HopetohavepassedNY wrote:
shengeh wrote:I am a non-US applicant thinking of taking the bar in July 2019. Any tips are welcome! Currently looking for some others based in the UK to form a study group with. Still deciding which Bar Prep to use, suggestions will be helpful!
Where in the UK are you based? I am based in London and aiming to sit NY bar exam in Jul 19.
Hi! I am based in London as well, and planning to take the Jul 10 exam as well. To everyone on this thread, what bar review course are you recommending other than themis? I work full time and therefore will need to start studying much earlier. Contact me on my email (shengeh@gmail.com) or on whatsapp +447831132808.

KalUT-ATX

New

Post by KalUT-ATX » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:04 am

Hello all,
Just wondering if there is any WhatsApp group for This group yet! I believe it would be much easier to communicate, share thoughts . If not please let me know if there’s anyone likes this idea. The bar exam is torture me with IIED.

bdadon

New

Post by bdadon » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:38 pm

KalUT-ATX wrote:Hello all,
Just wondering if there is any WhatsApp group for This group yet! I believe it would be much easier to communicate, share thoughts . If not please let me know if there’s anyone likes this idea. The bar exam is torture me with IIED.

I am interested in this. PM if anything.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”