New York Bar exams study group for 2019 Feb or ongoing

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
drowongforhonour

New

New York Bar exams study group for 2019 Feb or ongoing

Postby drowongforhonour » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:20 am

Hi there, I wish to see if anyone preparing for New York Bar exams, as I am myself in early 30s. Please exchange tips or studying progress here or other stuff. I do not live in U.S.A. hence
I don't know where to form a study group.

For me I tried different jobs but it seemed like I want to head back to law because i) I got two other family members in legal field ii) two cousins in legal field iii) some close friends known from kindergarden years or primary school years also in legal field.

akuaroma

New

Re: New York Bar exams study group for 2019 Feb or ongoing

Postby akuaroma » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:38 pm

I am looking to take the NY Bar Feb 2019. I am a foreign lawyer, so my knowledge of US law is basically non-existent. I am in the process of signing up for Themis Bar Prep Course (not LLM Advantage) and will start prep ASAP. Have /will you signed up to any of the bar courses? Have you started studying for the exam? If so, how is it going so far? Are you a foreign lawyer as well?

kitkat18

New

Postby kitkat18 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:09 am

akuaroma wrote:I am looking to take the NY Bar Feb 2019. I am a foreign lawyer, so my knowledge of US law is basically non-existent. I am in the process of signing up for Themis Bar Prep Course (not LLM Advantage) and will start prep ASAP. Have /will you signed up to any of the bar courses? Have you started studying for the exam? If so, how is it going so far? Are you a foreign lawyer as well?

Hey, i am in a similar situation but will be doing a different state, if you want to correspond etc, send me a message.

sg.cambs

New

Postby sg.cambs » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:32 pm

Same situation as above! Foreign student and have just signed up to themis.

harold

New

Postby harold » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:10 am

I am also a foreign attorney looking at taking the NY bar in 2019.

neem518

New

Postby neem518 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:16 am

Also a foreign lawyer here, JD in 1998, US Ll.M. (Georgetown) in 2007. Stayed home with kids until 2011, and now working as corporate paralegal. Not really much exposure to US substantive or procedural laws.

I'm taking the NY bar in Feb 2019. I work full-time, also have have 2 grade school kids who go to swim meets twice a month. I signed up with BarMax 2 weeks ago, just finished CivPro and now on Crimes. I chose BarMax because I know I won't be able to keep up with more voluminous materials and strict review schedules, and I will freak out if I can't keep up.

Planning to supplement with leansheets after I finish all subject, and Seperac issue spotting for essays closer to the exams.

I'm in the US right now, anyone wants to exchange info for emails and stuff, I'm open to that.

2018ukgrad

New

Postby 2018ukgrad » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:46 am

Hi! I'm a fresh grad, recently completed my LLB in UK.
No hands-on legal experience, no friends who are working towards the NY bar, and no knowledge of US law!
Currently looking at Themis vs Barmax, planning on getting Adaptibar too.
Does anyone have any helpful tips in regards to learning American law from scratch?

Also I'm new to this forum site, so I have no idea how to send messages. Please contact me if you're in a similar situation as me, or have any advice to share! Would really appreciate it!

2018ukgrad

New

Postby 2018ukgrad » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:42 am

I'm hoping to take the NY Bar in July 2019.
Please contact me by email or whatsapp!
I'd love to correspond with you guys!

pearlhyren@gmail.com
+85294874116

rfkm170884

New

Postby rfkm170884 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:11 am

Hi, same boat as everyone, I am a foreign lawyer (UK grad) working full-time and parent to a 4 year bundle of energy. I took the NY bar in July 2017. I did better in the MEE than in the MBE so I realized my biggest problem is I lack the knowledge of US law. I am now hoping to take the exam in February 2019. The tactic I am utilizing is as follows:

I am using Quimbee on particular topics that I need more help e.g. personal jurisdiction, Erie, hearsay, etc.
Once I finish an MBE topics I am using Smart Bar Prep to memorize the key rules. They also have a database of past MEE questions and answers to help with issue spotting and essay writing.
Once my Bar review courses (Kaplan) opens up, I will start doing MBE questions and essays.
At some point in November I hope to do as many MPTs as possible. That sadly dragged my score down and I attribute that to poor essay formatting and inability to write in the requested style I.e. memo, persuasive brief, etc.

I am also happy to set up a study group. I am still struggling with supplemental jurisdiction and appeals. So, it would be helpful to share ideas and approaches.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum�