Just Finished Kaplan MBE Final. Yikes! Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
WhopperWhich

New

Just Finished Kaplan MBE Final. Yikes!

Post by WhopperWhich » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:41 pm

First time taker in Illinois, where MBE is 50%.

Scored 115 on both my MBE midterm and final. Am I fuct? As evidenced by the topic breakdown, Ks and RP are pulling me down---each are sub-50%. Others are low 60s to mid 70s.

Labhuershi

New

Re: Just Finished Kaplan MBE Final. Yikes!

Post by Labhuershi » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:25 pm

I think I did OK in terms of score - but it was brutal indeed. Harder than its QBank questions (imo).

Thecharmishere

New

Post by Thecharmishere » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:58 pm

WhopperWhich wrote:First time taker in Illinois, where MBE is 50%.

Scored 115 on both my MBE midterm and final. Am I fuct? As evidenced by the topic breakdown, Ks and RP are pulling me down---each are sub-50%. Others are low 60s to mid 70s.

Are they the same exam as in Kaplan's MBE Practice questions (the blue book)?

Mr. Archer

Bronze

Post by Mr. Archer » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:55 pm

You should be fine if you do the same on the real thing. I think you're right at average. My average on both was a 120, and I ended up with a 140 on the real exam. Maybe spend a little time in your weak areas. But remember that the final is harder than the midterm and has some really weird questions. I would also recommended doing some extra essays and an MPT. Being in a 50/50 state makes the essays a good opportunity to give yourself cushion.

SilvermanBarPrep

Bronze

Post by SilvermanBarPrep » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:14 pm

There is for sure plenty of evidence that the scores on these "final exams" from Barbri, Kaplan, etc., tend to be lower than the scores on the actual exam. It's important not to let up in these final few weeks so in that sense it's good that the scores tend to be lower. But you shouldn't take these scores as an indication of what your score will be on the exam; these tests are designed to be extraordinarily difficult.

Sean (Silverman Bar Exam Tutoring)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JoLaw824

New

Post by JoLaw824 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:25 pm

Kaplan MBE Qs are supposed to be the hardest. I am taking Themis but had my law school dean send me past Kaplan questions to keep me honest in these last weeks. Needless to say, I definitely did worse on Kaplans. You will be ok.

sherwoodforr

New

Post by sherwoodforr » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:34 am

Remember, the national average was a 120 on the Kaplan MBE final. Even if you add in the low range of a 15 point curve, that gets you 130. 135 if passing in most jurisdictions. Kaplan tends to be harder than the actual MBE- I think I had a good 20 point difference when I took the bar 5 years ago. I'm now testing in a new jurisdiction where I don't have reciprocity. My final was a 138. I suspect that the 115 will correlate to a passing score, as per predictions by Kaplan.
I find that the best way for me to study, at this point in the process, is to focus on the law. I already have my bar notes filled out and outlines I created. I am now condensing my outlines to 1/3-1/2 of the material. Once that is complete, provided I have time, I will condense again to max 2-pages for any subject. By doing this, I am forcing myself to actively read the outlines and determine the important points. I will do some multiple choice questions, but not many, and will take the Additional MBE exam Kaplan offers towards the end of the week (reviewing all answers). At this point, you should know how you learn and be able to tailor your study plan to that. I learn best by writing- hence the outlining. I will not be wasting any time doing MPTs (I did 3, including the one on the final) or essays, though if I have time (which I doubt), I will review some essay outlines in my weaker state subject.

cannonball89

New

Post by cannonball89 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:07 am

Ended up with a 142 on the final. Definitely felt harder than the midterm, so i wasn’t surprised that i only got a 3 point bump from the midterm. I’m happy with the score but I’m taking in California, so lord knows whether it will provide me with enough cushion to get through the essays and end up with a passing score

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”