Feb. 2018 Themis Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
MakeItEnd2018

New

Re: Feb. 2018 Themis

Post by MakeItEnd2018 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:38 pm

Chk05 wrote:
ubebarstudying wrote:
Chk05 wrote:Has anyone done the Corp essay about bylaws amendments on Themis? Umm, what???

Do you know the question ID or anything? Bar courses by necessity and due to administering twice a year do tend to repeat questions and my practice essays from when I took Themis is in a binder somewhere in my house. Is it that it was difficult or are you surprised and confused by what the sample answer is?
Question ID: 3406 Surprised by the model answer, calls 1 & 2 specifically. ... Never saw an essay like that before and definitely not a typical Corp essay.
I am reading this now. I agree. What's with question 1? State law?

macgirl

New

Post by macgirl » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:51 pm

Hope everyone's saturday has been good. Is there a link to review detailed answers for the simulated exam or is it just accessible if you're doing the program online? Thanks!

ubebarstudying

Bronze

Post by ubebarstudying » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:27 pm

Chk05 wrote:
ubebarstudying wrote:
Chk05 wrote:Has anyone done the Corp essay about bylaws amendments on Themis? Umm, what???

Do you know the question ID or anything? Bar courses by necessity and due to administering twice a year do tend to repeat questions and my practice essays from when I took Themis is in a binder somewhere in my house. Is it that it was difficult or are you surprised and confused by what the sample answer is?
Question ID: 3406 Surprised by the model answer, calls 1 & 2 specifically. ... Never saw an essay like that before and definitely not a typical Corp essay.

Hmm i didn't find that one, but I know some questions are recycled and do recall a couple practice essays that I skipped because I thought there was something wrong with the question or fact pattern...if it were a legal standard I'd say I applied the "wtf test," wherein if I said wtf and or deeply confused I would skip it because I was do paranoid of messing up as test day approached, afraid if I typed it up that would be what I recalled on test day or something. I always liked agency/bus orgs so I could see myself looking at that essay and saying "uh, no, moving on"

PSK_246

New

Post by PSK_246 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:00 pm

For amendments to corporate governance documents, I believe the statutory default is majority rule of eligible votes (rather than a majority of a quorum present), but the Bylaws provision can specify a different percentage.

Respondeat_Inferior

New

Post by Respondeat_Inferior » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:13 am

PSK_246 wrote:For amendments to corporate governance documents, I believe the statutory default is majority rule of eligible votes (rather than a majority of a quorum present), but the Bylaws provision can specify a different percentage.
You need a quorum of outstanding "shares" for a meeting to have effect, and to pass a vote you need a majority of the outstanding shares that are actually voting in order to pass.

So lets say you've got 5 shareholders in a corporation - Big Johnson's Sausages, Inc.: Jim, Jean Ralphio, LaFawnda, Mark, and MurderKill LLC.

Big Johnson's articles of incorporations have authorized 20000 shares, 18000 have been issued.

Jim has 100 shares
Jean Ralphio has 10000 shares
LaFawnda has 1500 shares
MurderKill LLC has 4000 shares
Mark has 2000 shares

400 have been reacquired from a previous shareholder who wanted out. ("treasury shares")

So we currently have 17600 "outstanding" shares of the 18000 that were issued ("issued shares").

To have a quorum for a shareholder meeting, you need a majority of shares, not shareholders. Assuming 1 share equals 1 vote (remember that the articles of incorporation can modify this!) we'd need 8801 of the outstanding shares present. In this scenario, that means if Jean Ralphio doesn't show up there's never a quorum. It also means that Jean Ralphio creates a quorum all on his own!

Now in order for anything they vote on to actually pass, the number of shares FOR must be higher than the number of shares AGAINST. That means abstaining votes aren't counted against you. So if everyone shows up and wants to vote, except for Jean Ralphio who decides he doesn't want to vote on any issues, the vote will pass if 3801 shares vote yes, so MurderKill would basically control the vote at that point.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Neilt001

Post by Neilt001 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:17 pm

Respondeat_Inferior wrote:Anyone else do the mock MBE today? LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL question 150, if you got that right and you weren't just tossing a dart in a pitch black room let me know how you worked your way through that noise.
Wow... just completed this. There's no way that question is fair.

Is it just me or were these practice tests harder/longer than usual?

Neilt001

Post by Neilt001 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:34 pm

Also interesting how the average on the practice exams was 61 (I hit that on the head). Doesn't exactly leave that much time to get to a comfortable 70-75 going into the exam! Or does it?

MakeItEnd2018

New

Post by MakeItEnd2018 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:40 pm

Respondeat_Inferior wrote:
PSK_246 wrote:For amendments to corporate governance documents, I believe the statutory default is majority rule of eligible votes (rather than a majority of a quorum present), but the Bylaws provision can specify a different percentage.
You need a quorum of outstanding "shares" for a meeting to have effect, and to pass a vote you need a majority of the outstanding shares that are actually voting in order to pass.

So lets say you've got 5 shareholders in a corporation - Big Johnson's Sausages, Inc.: Jim, Jean Ralphio, LaFawnda, Mark, and MurderKill LLC.

Big Johnson's articles of incorporations have authorized 20000 shares, 18000 have been issued.

Jim has 100 shares
Jean Ralphio has 10000 shares
LaFawnda has 1500 shares
MurderKill LLC has 4000 shares
Mark has 2000 shares

400 have been reacquired from a previous shareholder who wanted out. ("treasury shares")

So we currently have 17600 "outstanding" shares of the 18000 that were issued ("issued shares").

To have a quorum for a shareholder meeting, you need a majority of shares, not shareholders. Assuming 1 share equals 1 vote (remember that the articles of incorporation can modify this!) we'd need 8801 of the outstanding shares present. In this scenario, that means if Jean Ralphio doesn't show up there's never a quorum. It also means that Jean Ralphio creates a quorum all on his own!

Now in order for anything they vote on to actually pass, the number of shares FOR must be higher than the number of shares AGAINST. That means abstaining votes aren't counted against you. So if everyone shows up and wants to vote, except for Jean Ralphio who decides he doesn't want to vote on any issues, the vote will pass if 3801 shares vote yes, so MurderKill would basically control the vote at that point.
This is just lovely. Thanks!

MakeItEnd2018

New

Post by MakeItEnd2018 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:50 pm

Neilt001 wrote:
Respondeat_Inferior wrote:Anyone else do the mock MBE today? LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL question 150, if you got that right and you weren't just tossing a dart in a pitch black room let me know how you worked your way through that noise.

LOLLLLL Went back to look at this #150. Wish I could post a pic of my note above it.
Imagine blue highlighter and asterisks all over the top of question 150 and in sad red ink:

" *** F***ED, SO SO SO FUUUU**ED. YOU'RE F***ED... But Patient is more f***ed bc Aunt's interest takes priority *** "

yep. gotta burn these books after we pass.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Neilt001

Post by Neilt001 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:45 pm

MakeItEnd2018 wrote:
Neilt001 wrote:

LOLLLLL Went back to look at this #150. Wish I could post a pic of my note above it.
Imagine blue highlighter and asterisks all over the top of question 150 and in sad red ink:

" *** F***ED, SO SO SO FUUUU**ED. YOU'RE F***ED... But Patient is more f***ed bc Aunt's interest takes priority *** "

yep. gotta burn these books after we pass.
Book burning is a must, and will feel soooo good.

Banana1

New

Post by Banana1 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:39 pm

Arent the MBE questions on specific subjects much harder than practice exams? im wondering which one the exam will resemble

JoLaw824

New

Post by JoLaw824 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:53 pm

Neilt001 wrote:Also interesting how the average on the practice exams was 61 (I hit that on the head). Doesn't exactly leave that much time to get to a comfortable 70-75 going into the exam! Or does it?
Do we know what numbers we should be hitting by the end of the course on MBEs? I had 128 for the mock MBE, which I'm happy with... I think?

JoLaw824

New

Post by JoLaw824 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:13 pm

Also - anyone ever feel like they pick the right choice for an entirely different reason that is described for the practice MBE questions? I feel uneasy when that happens.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Respondeat_Inferior

New

Post by Respondeat_Inferior » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:40 pm

JoLaw824 wrote:
Neilt001 wrote:Also interesting how the average on the practice exams was 61 (I hit that on the head). Doesn't exactly leave that much time to get to a comfortable 70-75 going into the exam! Or does it?
Do we know what numbers we should be hitting by the end of the course on MBEs? I had 128 for the mock MBE, which I'm happy with... I think?
The Themis rep I spoke to told me 65-70%, but I think even that is just the "to be comfortable" range.

I've been going hard since November 6th, am finished with the program except for scheduled content I can't access, and am 3000 questions deep (with additional questions from Emanual MBE book) and I just barely score in the 70-75 range after all of that. (I'm not trying to brag, I'm just working full time and also 3 years removed from law school. I am intentionally overkilling it because I am HARDCORE paranoid about having to do this again.)

My wife's average score was in the 60-63% range, she didn't do any MPTs, her graded practice essays were in the 1-3 range, and she only finished at about 70% for Themis overall (AND her numbers aren't exactly accurate because she would just click that she read the outlines without actually reading them).

She passed the UBE with a 276 overall. She needed a 274 (Oregon), so she scraped it a little close, but passing is passing.

cho8583

New

Post by cho8583 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:29 am

Hey guys, a repeater here using Themis materials from last Feb. I was doing those practice exams by the book that I havent used last time, and I was wondering if you could share the average score % of those 4 practice exams? :)

It worries me that my score for the practice exam 4 hasn't improved that much from last time.. :(

kc128

Bronze

Post by kc128 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:40 am

cho8583 wrote:Hey guys, a repeater here using Themis materials from last Feb. I was doing those practice exams by the book that I havent used last time, and I was wondering if you could share the average score % of those 4 practice exams? :)

It worries me that my score for the practice exam 4 hasn't improved that much from last time.. :(
Hey there, repeater here too. I believe the average score for the 1st MBE Practice Exam, consisting of just Torts, Property & Contracts was 56%. The second (Civ, Con, Crim, Evidence) was around 60%. I emailed my rep to ask what the average score on the simulated was... she said average is usually around a 110 raw, but this was before everyone uploaded their answers b/c I took it the weekend before it was schedule so it could be a bit higher or lower. My portal says 66% which is exactly what my score was, which seemed random to me.

cho8583

New

Post by cho8583 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:30 am

kc128 wrote: Hey there, repeater here too. I believe the average score for the 1st MBE Practice Exam, consisting of just Torts, Property & Contracts was 56%. The second (Civ, Con, Crim, Evidence) was around 60%. I emailed my rep to ask what the average score on the simulated was... she said average is usually around a 110 raw, but this was before everyone uploaded their answers b/c I took it the weekend before it was schedule so it could be a bit higher or lower. My portal says 66% which is exactly what my score was, which seemed random to me.
Thanks kc128 for the reply! so I assume that the practice exam 4 hasn't come up yet on the schedule to do it right? Seems like other peeps took practice 3 with 200 qs.. which I should do it by tmrw i assume :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

PSK_246

New

Post by PSK_246 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:38 am

My portal shows 63% on morning MBE Session and 61% in the afternoon.

ubebarstudying

Bronze

Post by ubebarstudying » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:49 pm

Hmm...I'm thinking back to when my results came out and I can't recall but what's the highest you can score on an essay? I thought if you got a got from 60 to 70 it equated to a 6 on the scale that themis used but it could have changed or I could just be wrong. I just paid remember I was shooting for a 6 on graded essays (again, if I recall correctly), but don't remember how they equated or scaled or what the max score you could get on a practice exam essay equated to/was

JoLaw824

New

Post by JoLaw824 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:27 pm

PSK_246 wrote:My portal shows 63% on morning MBE Session and 61% in the afternoon.
Same! I literally just uploaded my final scores today, so this is probably why. Not everyone did it right in the laptop (I used my books).

kc128

Bronze

Post by kc128 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:34 pm

cho8583 wrote:
kc128 wrote: Hey there, repeater here too. I believe the average score for the 1st MBE Practice Exam, consisting of just Torts, Property & Contracts was 56%. The second (Civ, Con, Crim, Evidence) was around 60%. I emailed my rep to ask what the average score on the simulated was... she said average is usually around a 110 raw, but this was before everyone uploaded their answers b/c I took it the weekend before it was schedule so it could be a bit higher or lower. My portal says 66% which is exactly what my score was, which seemed random to me.
Thanks kc128 for the reply! so I assume that the practice exam 4 hasn't come up yet on the schedule to do it right? Seems like other peeps took practice 3 with 200 qs.. which I should do it by tmrw i assume :)
Correct. The final, 4th one is slotted for next Monday, I believe. Test #3 is the full length simulated MBE- good luck!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kc128

Bronze

Post by kc128 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:35 pm

ubebarstudying wrote:

Hmm...I'm thinking back to when my results came out and I can't recall but what's the highest you can score on an essay? I thought if you got a got from 60 to 70 it equated to a 6 on the scale that themis used but it could have changed or I could just be wrong. I just paid remember I was shooting for a 6 on graded essays (again, if I recall correctly), but don't remember how they equated or scaled or what the max score you could get on a practice exam essay equated to/was
I think this is correct. So a "50" = a 5 on the actual bar, and so on...

ubebarstudying

Bronze

Post by ubebarstudying » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:37 pm

kc128 wrote:
ubebarstudying wrote:

I think this is correct. So a "50" = a 5 on the actual bar, and so on...
Ok I thought so, I remember being a little confused going from the graded essays to the practice exams. All I know is that my best friend (like me) dreaded secured transactions...didn't think the lecturer was the best, didn't take in schill, etc., and he failed essentially because of the secured transactions essay. Only 5% of your grade but there was a full secured transactions essay ans he got something like a 21 and told me his next lowest score was a 49 and that I think he only needed to for that essay to be ~40 or a 4 and he would have passed. He is retaking now but he went full isolation mode, I finally got him to respond to a text and it was just saying he isn't doing anything until March, lol. I took that to mean talking as well, considering that was all he said. But understandable when you come that close to passing despite bombing 1 essay.

kc128

Bronze

Post by kc128 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:13 pm

These final question sets are killing my self esteem :cry:

macgirl

New

Post by macgirl » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:20 pm

Can anyone explain #200 for me on the simulated exam? So Me: I assumed "unavailable declarant" since he lacks memory of the subject matter of the statement and "dying declaration" believes death is imminent, statement pertains to cause or circumstance of the death , he didn't have to die, and only applies in homicide cases and civil cases, and this one is attempted murder. I selected "C" but the answer is "A" ........ What am I missing????? TY

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”