Feb. 2018 Themis Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
PSK_246

New

Re: Feb. 2018 Themis

Post by PSK_246 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:58 pm

KeepPushing1234 wrote:Does anyone have any suggestions with respect to how to improve on timing on the MBE? That's my struggle at the moment, I can't seem to get through all of the questions before time runs out, and I'm left with just filling in answer B, so as not to leave any blank :(
Themis' advice is probably the best - read the call of the question, try to come up with the answer while reading the prompt, and hopefully it's one of the choices.

Neilt001

Post by Neilt001 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:31 pm

JoLaw824 wrote:
PSK_246 wrote:Milestone #4 sucked
The 100 question Test (#4)? I think it was intentional, or so my rep told me.

I did crappy on set 10 or 11 today. Ugh.

I feel like I have so much work still left to do (memorize essay rules, take more MBEs), and I am SO exhausted. I just want my normal life back.
Totally agreed. That final practice exam was brutal. I hope your rep was right, but then again the average was 61, which is the same as the past exams. But I definitely did worse than before and was left totally guessing lots of em.

Old life? I don't eve remember that..?? Was so long ago...

phillywc

Gold

Post by phillywc » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:02 pm

Hello everyone. Who else is convinced they are going to get an actual 0 on the essay exam?
Someone got a 148 on the MBE in July and failed. That's gonna be me. I can feel it in my bones.

MakeItEnd2018

New

Post by MakeItEnd2018 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:34 pm

Anyone else feel depressed/burn out/anxious/I can't sleep, eat or bathe because I feel like I know nothing?
...Juuuuust checking.

JoLaw824

New

Post by JoLaw824 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:08 pm

MakeItEnd2018 wrote:Anyone else feel depressed/burn out/anxious/I can't sleep, eat or bathe because I feel like I know nothing?
...Juuuuust checking.
YES.

You can't let the past dictate your future, but once you fail this exam, (at least for me) you feel as though you will never pass.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kc128

Bronze

Post by kc128 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:37 pm

phillywc wrote:Hello everyone. Who else is convinced they are going to get an actual 0 on the essay exam?
Someone got a 148 on the MBE in July and failed. That's gonna be me. I can feel it in my bones.
Not sure if you're a fellow re-taker too, but that seems highly unlikely to me, not to discredit the person you know. I received a low-end, but passing MBE score, and hit the median essay score on about 50% of the MEE and failed NY by 4 points (you can probably do the math). You will for sure do better on exam day than you think!

JoLaw824

New

Post by JoLaw824 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:20 am

PSK_246 wrote:
KeepPushing1234 wrote:Does anyone have any suggestions with respect to how to improve on timing on the MBE? That's my struggle at the moment, I can't seem to get through all of the questions before time runs out, and I'm left with just filling in answer B, so as not to leave any blank :(
Themis' advice is probably the best - read the call of the question, try to come up with the answer while reading the prompt, and hopefully it's one of the choices.
I agree with this. I never did this until this time around, and there's legit times I already find the answer and don't even read the beginning of the question.

I run up against time, too. So my thinking is - things you know you may not remember (Rule against perpetuities, claim preclusion, lol), just guess and move on. Better getting ones right that are slam dunks versus never getting to them in the first place.

cho8583

New

Post by cho8583 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:39 pm

Ex-Themis repeater here. Until today, I've worked on 100qs sets from OPE 1-4, Themis #3 and #4 simulated exams. I got OPE 1 and 2 - 73 OPE 3 - 86 OPE 4 - 79, Themis #3 - 133 and #4 - 61. I did much better this time on OPEs and 10% better on Themis simulated sets, I failed MBE with 3 pts short (out of 133) So if you did around similar percentile on Themis, you should be at least passing range from my previous experience. The remaining time will be spent on reviewing qs that I've got wrong from those sets and the new study aid, which I've got around 65-70% (except for CP.. which was pretty horrible around 45%) and cramming MEE subs.

So be competent people. We got this :)

phillywc

Gold

Post by phillywc » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:08 pm

kc128 wrote:
phillywc wrote:Hello everyone. Who else is convinced they are going to get an actual 0 on the essay exam?
Not sure if you're a fellow re-taker too, but that seems highly unlikely to me, not to discredit the person you know. I received a low-end, but passing MBE score, and hit the median essay score on about 50% of the MEE and failed NY by 4 points (you can probably do the math). You will for sure do better on exam day than you think!
I don't know them, but PA published highest failing/lowest passing scores for each subtest. I graduated off cycle so this is my first go and... I don't know. Not actually gonna get a 0 but I couldn't be less confident about Essays if i tried.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:17 pm

MakeItEnd2018 wrote:Anyone else feel depressed/burn out/anxious/I can't sleep, eat or bathe because I feel like I know nothing?
...Juuuuust checking.
Mostly just flagging this but imo close to the test you should rest, review some stuff, but try to mellow out. Youre not going to learn heavy material now and you DO know much more than you think you do, trust me.

I also booked a massage apt for between days of the bar and it was amazing and highly recommended (groupon is gold).

Neilt001

Post by Neilt001 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:39 am

phillywc wrote: I don't know them, but PA published highest failing/lowest passing scores for each subtest. I graduated off cycle so this is my first go and... I don't know. Not actually gonna get a 0 but I couldn't be less confident about Essays if i tried.
I couldn't be less prepared for essays either. Just going through those from last July (http://www.ncbex.org/pdfviewer/?file=%2 ... ument%2F26) and think I'd be fucked if that was this year.

MakeItEnd2018

New

Post by MakeItEnd2018 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:54 pm

Anyone know about using a microsoft surface pro?
i downloaded examsoft/examplify wtvr and my keyboard is "attached"... but possibly not perfected. hehehe
SO. MUCH. FUN. IT'S ALL SO MUCH FUUUUUNNNN!!!!

kc128

Bronze

Post by kc128 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:50 pm

MakeItEnd2018 wrote:Anyone know about using a microsoft surface pro?
i downloaded examsoft/examplify wtvr and my keyboard is "attached"... but possibly not perfected. hehehe
SO. MUCH. FUN. IT'S ALL SO MUCH FUUUUUNNNN!!!!
bhahah, I think I enjoyed this even more due to the hypo that ensued in my poor mush of a brain.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Respondeat_Inferior

New

Post by Respondeat_Inferior » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:08 pm

macgirl wrote:Can anyone explain #200 for me on the simulated exam? So Me: I assumed "unavailable declarant" since he lacks memory of the subject matter of the statement and "dying declaration" believes death is imminent, statement pertains to cause or circumstance of the death , he didn't have to die, and only applies in homicide cases and civil cases, and this one is attempted murder. I selected "C" but the answer is "A" ........ What am I missing????? TY
Attempted murder isn't a homicide case. Nobody was killed, no homicide.

macgirl

New

Post by macgirl » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:08 pm

Respondeat_Inferior wrote:
macgirl wrote:Can anyone explain #200 for me on the simulated exam? So Me: I assumed "unavailable declarant" since he lacks memory of the subject matter of the statement and "dying declaration" believes death is imminent, statement pertains to cause or circumstance of the death , he didn't have to die, and only applies in homicide cases and civil cases, and this one is attempted murder. I selected "C" but the answer is "A" ........ What am I missing????? TY
Attempted murder isn't a homicide case. Nobody was killed, no homicide.
I just sat here and had a moment. TY!!!!!! while reading all I could focus on was if he can be "unavailable" and "not have to die" then how come attempt couldn't work. THANK YOU!!!!

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:48 pm

careful with quoting specific questions on here guys

also for essay people - if you don't know the issues make them up and write rules making lawyer noises along the way. if you know issues make up rules. you still get points, just try to get as much in as possible doing CIRAC or IRAC.
-former bar taker who didn't know law and did well on the essays

kc128

Bronze

Post by kc128 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:13 pm

Sprout wrote:careful with quoting specific questions on here guys

also for essay people - if you don't know the issues make them up and write rules making lawyer noises along the way. if you know issues make up rules. you still get points, just try to get as much in as possible doing CIRAC or IRAC.
Is it actually a problem to reference specific Themis questions? (Not to troll, just looking out for all...)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Chk05

New

Post by Chk05 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:26 pm

Which state graded your essays? I wonder if that makes a difference based on the accuracy of rule statements...

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:48 pm

Chk05 wrote:

Which state graded your essays? I wonder if that makes a difference based on the accuracy of rule statements...
New York.

JoLaw824

New

Post by JoLaw824 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:29 pm

Anyone feel like they're regressing?

Starting to worry.

KeepPushing1234

New

Post by KeepPushing1234 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:22 pm

JoLaw824 wrote:Anyone feel like they're regressing?

Starting to worry.
Yes!! I don't know what's going on and it's freaking me out!, but my MBE scores are dropping each time I take the set of practice questions :(

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Neilt001

Post by Neilt001 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:42 pm

KeepPushing1234 wrote:

Starting to worry.
Yes!! I don't know what's going on and it's freaking me out!, but my MBE scores are dropping each time I take the set of practice questions :(
OMG Yes!!!?? I was having this conversation two days ago. MBE scores are getting worse and worse. How on earth is this possible???! My theory is that before, I knew enough to BS my way through questions, but not so much that I confused myself and overthought it? But now I know more and maybe get too clever and just confuse myself with all these goddamn rules floating around in my head. but surely knowing more can't harm MBE scores. I just don't get it.

My Themis supervisor told me to stop doing MBE questions cause there's no point anymore - just focus on memorizing everything for MEEs.

Anyone else got any theories? At this rate my MBE score will be 50% at best!!

Neilt001

Post by Neilt001 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:44 pm

KeepPushing1234 wrote:

Starting to worry.
Or - if the reason is mental exhaustion, then we would be wise to take a proper break before the exam. But my problem is that if I take a break, I'm gonna forget stuff, and will also probably miss learning something important, and so won't feel/be prepared. What's the best approach?!

kc128

Bronze

Post by kc128 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:18 pm

Neilt001 wrote:
KeepPushing1234 wrote:

Starting to worry.
Or - if the reason is mental exhaustion, then we would be wise to take a proper break before the exam. But my problem is that if I take a break, I'm gonna forget stuff, and will also probably miss learning something important, and so won't feel/be prepared. What's the best approach?!
Personally, I actually feel totally guilt if a take a legit break (i.e. more than a few hours to eat, sleep, shower, etc.), so if you're guilt-strewn like me, it might make you feel worse. BUT... definitely don't try to cram more info in at this point- maybe reinforce/re-familiarze yourself w/ info you know?

Also, I've made to-do lists of things I need/want to review and a packing list. Sometimes, just doing something random things like that still makes me feel productive and focused, but gives my brain a bit of a breather.

You know more than you think you do!

macgirl

New

Post by macgirl » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:31 pm

hope everyone's surviving!

Looking for some feedback on Exam 4... what was the average? what score were the reps saying we should be shooting for? Is there a "okay I can kinda breath if I fall within this percentage?" LOL

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”