Feb. 2018 Themis Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
kc128

Bronze

Feb. 2018 Themis

Post by kc128 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:42 pm

Someone mentioned we don't have a forum. Now we do. You're welcome.

Neilt001

Re: Feb. 2018 Themis

Post by Neilt001 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:42 pm

kc128 wrote:Someone mentioned we don't have a forum. Now we do. You're welcome.
Good idea!!

Question as it’s 3 weeks out and I’m getting worried. I’m scoring around 65 on practice MBEs but never better. Essays are worse. 78% course completion.

Thoughts??

KeepPushing1234

New

Post by KeepPushing1234 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:13 pm

Neilt001 wrote:
Good idea!!

Question as it’s 3 weeks out and I’m getting worried. I’m scoring around 65 on practice MBEs but never better. Essays are worse. 78% course completion.

Thoughts??
I'm going through the exact same thing. I'm trying to keep a positive outlook, but part of me is in a little bit of a panic. I'm not so sure what I should be doing differently other than going through the course, doing as many problems as I can and trying my best to memorize the substantive law. :(

kc128

Bronze

Post by kc128 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:10 am

KeepPushing1234 wrote:
Neilt001 wrote:
Good idea!!

Thoughts??
I'm going through the exact same thing. I'm trying to keep a positive outlook, but part of me is in a little bit of a panic. I'm not so sure what I should be doing differently other than going through the course, doing as many problems as I can and trying my best to memorize the substantive law. :(
Hey Guys! Glad to see some fellow Themis users. I've been hitting around 65% too and it worries me that that is considered "passing" on the last few sets for each topic. I have noticed though, that my mixed MBE sets are a bit higher which is reassuring. If you have any other materials, I would work through those and compare your scores. I used Themis, Kaplan, and Emmanuel over the summer and brought my MBE up close to 24 points. Hoping this time is the final push!

I also think that Themis totally low balls on the essays. The only one I've received back that was "passing" was Civ Pro and my answer varied the most from all of the sample answers for the other topics.

Did either of you take the simulated? If not, good luck!

KeepPushing1234

New

Post by KeepPushing1234 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:52 pm

kc128 wrote:
KeepPushing1234 wrote:
Neilt001 wrote:
Good idea!!

Thoughts??
Hey Guys! Glad to see some fellow Themis users. I've been hitting around 65% too and it worries me that that is considered "passing" on the last few sets for each topic. I have noticed though, that my mixed MBE sets are a bit higher which is reassuring. If you have any other materials, I would work through those and compare your scores. I used Themis, Kaplan, and Emmanuel over the summer and brought my MBE up close to 24 points. Hoping this time is the final push!

I also think that Themis totally low balls on the essays. The only one I've received back that was "passing" was Civ Pro and my answer varied the most from all of the sample answers for the other topics.

I haven't taken the simulated yet, I plan to take it tomorrow :(

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Neilt001

Post by Neilt001 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:18 pm

kc128 wrote:
KeepPushing1234 wrote:
Neilt001 wrote:
Good idea!!

Thoughts??

I agree entirely re the essays. I don't think I've scored higher than a 1 or 2 out of 6, and am pretty worried.
As for the MBEs, I agree it's easier doing the mixed (for some inexplicable reason) and I've improved from 40s and 50s to around 60-65. But I've flatlined so that's no good... Trying to keep a positive outlook but after giving up on another batch of essays cause I literally had NO idea how to answer them it's hard to stay positive.

kc128

Bronze

Post by kc128 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:59 pm

KeepPushing1234 wrote:
kc128 wrote:
KeepPushing1234 wrote:
Neilt001 wrote:
Good idea!!

Thoughts??

I'm sure you'll do great! I scored higher than expected, which was nice for a few hours until I started to worry if the Themis simulated is easier than others. I have one of the released NCBE exams I'll probably do as well for comparison, if it it's only 50 questions at a time or something like that to make it more management. Totally freaked out over MEE topics like trusts and corp, pretty sure we'll see those since neither were tested in July. Need to dedicate a solid day to those tmrw and hopefully incorporate a mixed MBE set of 33 questions for an hour each morning to keep track of progress.

kc128

Bronze

Post by kc128 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:01 pm

Neilt001 wrote:
kc128 wrote:
KeepPushing1234 wrote:
Neilt001 wrote:
Good idea!!

Thoughts??

I agree entirely re the essays. I don't think I've scored higher than a 1 or 2 out of 6, and am pretty worried.
As for the MBEs, I agree it's easier doing the mixed (for some inexplicable reason) and I've improved from 40s and 50s to around 60-65. But I've flatlined so that's no good... Trying to keep a positive outlook but after giving up on another batch of essays cause I literally had NO idea how to answer them it's hard to stay positive.
Haven't even touched that graded MPT yet, if that makes you feel any better, lol.

Chk05

New

Post by Chk05 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:27 am

Did either of you take the simulated? If not, good luck![/quote]

As for the MBEs, I agree it's easier doing the mixed (for some inexplicable reason) and I've improved from 40s and 50s to around 60-65. But I've flatlined so that's no good... Trying to keep a positive outlook but after giving up on another batch of essays cause I literally had NO idea how to answer them it's hard to stay positive.[/quote]

I agree regarding the essays as well. You can do it! You may be flatlining today but there’s always tomorrow. All that matters is that test day is your peak. You got this!
One questions though, how do you know what is “passing” on the CivPro graded essay?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PSK_246

New

Post by PSK_246 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:46 am

I passed in 2014 in another state and am taking the Feb bar in a new state. What helped me then and now is to handwrite all of the rules for the MBE questions for at least the ones that I missed. I started off in the mid 60s and am now going mid-high 70s. Handwrite the rules for essays too. Also, don't overly focus on the % meter. Slow down and try to retain the material by whatever means work best for you. For me, that means outlining every subject. Quality, not speed/quantity. I'm at ~73% completion so far and starting to feel good. I'm working so this simulated exam is going to have to wait until the weekend. Godspeed.

kc128

Bronze

Post by kc128 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:57 am

PSK_246 wrote:I passed in 2014 in another state and am taking the Feb bar in a new state. What helped me then and now is to handwrite all of the rules for the MBE questions for at least the ones that I missed. I started off in the mid 60s and am now going mid-high 70s. Handwrite the rules for essays too. Also, don't overly focus on the % meter. Slow down and try to retain the material by whatever means work best for you. For me, that means outlining every subject. Quality, not speed/quantity. I'm at ~73% completion so far and starting to feel good. I'm working so this simulated exam is going to have to wait until the weekend. Godspeed.
This is exactly how I study. People think it's crazy, but it works.

macgirl

New

Post by macgirl » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:44 pm

in the same boat as most. I only have books and am not a part of the online course (gap btw my last exam and now) so not sure what percentage I am through the coursework since I don't know the "particulars but more than 60% of what I wrote for my own schedule. My scores have been about the 60-65% on MBE. Civ Pro and Crim Pro are my lowest this far and contracts 68% but can't say this 3 weeks mark doesn't give me some jitters. Planing on doing the Simulated tomorrow or thursday and reviewing on friday. I'm also working through the Strategies and Tactics 6th edition which I like.

Anyone have a breakdown of the score ranges for the quizzes and now the simulated? Trying to gauge my score for the past quizzes and this upcoming Simulated exam- TIA.

kc128

Bronze

Post by kc128 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:50 pm

macgirl wrote:in the same boat as most. I only have books and am not a part of the online course (gap btw my last exam and now) so not sure what percentage I am through the coursework since I don't know the "particulars but more than 60% of what I wrote for my own schedule. My scores have been about the 60-65% on MBE. Civ Pro and Crim Pro are my lowest this far and contracts 68% but can't say this 3 weeks mark doesn't give me some jitters. Planing on doing the Simulated tomorrow or thursday and reviewing on friday. I'm also working through the Strategies and Tactics 6th edition which I like.

Anyone have a breakdown of the score ranges for the quizzes and now the simulated? Trying to gauge my score for the past quizzes and this upcoming Simulated exam- TIA.
My rep. said they don't have stats on the simulated yet since it's not technically assigned until tmrw, but that average is usually about a 110. The 1st mini-MBE that was just property, contracts and torts was a 59% and the second one assigned last week was like low 60s average, I believe.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Neilt001

Post by Neilt001 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:02 pm

Chk05 wrote:

I agree regarding the essays as well. You can do it! You may be flatlining today but there’s always tomorrow. All that matters is that test day is your peak. You got this!
One questions though, how do you know what is “passing” on the CivPro graded essay?
Thanks! Let's hope you're right...

So all essays are graded out of 6. You essentially need a 4/6 to pass the MEE (which is around 66%).

Neilt001

Post by Neilt001 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:05 pm

PSK_246 wrote:I passed in 2014 in another state and am taking the Feb bar in a new state. What helped me then and now is to handwrite all of the rules for the MBE questions for at least the ones that I missed. I started off in the mid 60s and am now going mid-high 70s. Handwrite the rules for essays too. Also, don't overly focus on the % meter. Slow down and try to retain the material by whatever means work best for you. For me, that means outlining every subject. Quality, not speed/quantity. I'm at ~73% completion so far and starting to feel good. I'm working so this simulated exam is going to have to wait until the weekend. Godspeed.
Agreed, I'm working full time too so will have to wait till this weekend. That's gonna be fun...

Also, are you saying you literally write out every rule for all incorrect MBE answers? That's like a lot of rules! Do you then review them, or is just the act of writing enough?

macgirl

New

Post by macgirl » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:09 pm

kc128 wrote:
macgirl wrote:in the same boat as most. I only have books and am not a part of the online course (gap btw my last exam and now) so not sure what percentage I am through the coursework since I don't know the "particulars but more than 60% of what I wrote for my own schedule. My scores have been about the 60-65% on MBE. Civ Pro and Crim Pro are my lowest this far and contracts 68% but can't say this 3 weeks mark doesn't give me some jitters. Planing on doing the Simulated tomorrow or thursday and reviewing on friday. I'm also working through the Strategies and Tactics 6th edition which I like.

My rep. said they don't have stats on the simulated yet since it's not technically assigned until tmrw, but that average is usually about a 110. The 1st mini-MBE that was just property, contracts and torts was a 59% and the second one assigned last week was like low 60s average, I believe.

Thanks! it's so hard to gauge sometimes where I stand since i'm working in this bubble alone. I scored higher on quiz 1 than the avg so thats great but only score 58% on quiz 2 (con law, civ pro and crime pro are the hardest for me). Definitely have to keep doing more questions. I'm reviewing the "Final Outlines" (That includes my notes for all my wrong answers) and using that as my MBE learning tool for the last 3 weeks plus my essay and MPT stuff.

JoLaw824

New

Post by JoLaw824 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:25 pm

kc128 wrote:
This is exactly how I study. People think it's crazy, but it works.
SAME! My themis rep basically thought I was crazy for skipping the lectures. I literally don't learn that way.

I'm the same as far as the 60% side. I know I need to review certain subjects more than others, which is tonight's goal.

Also waiting until Friday for the practice exam.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JoLaw824

New

Post by JoLaw824 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:28 pm

Neilt001 wrote:
Agreed, I'm working full time too so will have to wait till this weekend. That's gonna be fun...

Also, are you saying you literally write out every rule for all incorrect MBE answers? That's like a lot of rules! Do you then review them, or is just the act of writing enough?
For me, I have posterboards I wrote basically everything sub-top for all MBE subjects. From there, I go to the book (that's already been highlighted to hell) and read the rule, look at the posterboard, trying to say the rule out loud, and move on. It's how I spent all of law school learning (usually using my class notes and Emmanuel outlines, but you get the picture). I walk around like a lunatic holding my posterboard and try to look at each subtopic and recite all the shit I need to know for it.

I'm probably certifiable.

PSK_246

New

Post by PSK_246 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:27 pm

Neilt001 wrote:

More or less. It helps it stick for me and also the repetition.

Chk05

New

Post by Chk05 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:32 pm

Neilt001 wrote:
Chk05 wrote:

So all essays are graded out of 6. You essentially need a 4/6 to pass the MEE (which is around 66%).
4/6 sounds so high! :shock: Do you think that applies to every state?

KeepPushing1234

New

Post by KeepPushing1234 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:26 pm

kc128 wrote:
KeepPushing1234 wrote:
kc128 wrote:
KeepPushing1234 wrote:
Neilt001 wrote:
Good idea!!

Thoughts??

I'm sure you'll do great! I scored higher than expected, which was nice for a few hours until I started to worry if the Themis simulated is easier than others. I have one of the released NCBE exams I'll probably do as well for comparison, if it it's only 50 questions at a time or something like that to make it more management. Totally freaked out over MEE topics like trusts and corp, pretty sure we'll see those since neither were tested in July. Need to dedicate a solid day to those tmrw and hopefully incorporate a mixed MBE set of 33 questions for an hour each morning to keep track of progress.
I definitely need to spend some time with the MEE subjects as well. Just took the simulated MEE and midway through writing my answers I started panicking, and my answers became a combination of made up law, outlining and rambles. :( But going through the motions of a simulated exam is definitely worth it for mental endurance and stamina.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Neilt001

Post by Neilt001 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:33 pm

KeepPushing1234 wrote:
I definitely need to spend some time with the MEE subjects as well. Just took the simulated MEE and midway through writing my answers I started panicking, and my answers became a combination of made up law, outlining and rambles. :( But going through the motions of a simulated exam is definitely worth it for mental endurance and stamina.
Totally agree. I keep doing MEE practise questions and giving up near the beginning cause I don't know what to write (or sometimes it's easy enough that I don't bother writing it all out, but that's the minority). I print off the right answers, highlight the rules, and add them to my notes for further study. So hopefully I'll learn that way??

kc128

Bronze

Post by kc128 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:46 pm

Chk05 wrote:
Neilt001 wrote:
Chk05 wrote:

4/6 sounds so high! :shock: Do you think that applies to every state?
In NY, the median essay score is a 50.

kc128

Bronze

Post by kc128 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:48 pm

Neilt001 wrote:
KeepPushing1234 wrote:
Totally agree. I keep doing MEE practise questions and giving up near the beginning cause I don't know what to write (or sometimes it's easy enough that I don't bother writing it all out, but that's the minority). I print off the right answers, highlight the rules, and add them to my notes for further study. So hopefully I'll learn that way??
Trying to balance a mixed set of MBE questions/review in the morning (writing out all rules, unless it's something painfully obvious). Then, spending some time reviewing/writing 1/2 MEE essays and then review & additional MBE for 1 topic. I'm sure there's a point I stop retaining, which makes me worried b/c today, for example, I looked at corps and was like :shock: :shock: :shock:

Respondeat_Inferior

New

Post by Respondeat_Inferior » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:55 am

Corps & partnerships is such horseshit, here let me apply the same small handful of rules 50 times in a row in the same fucking essay.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”