Failed to Appear Twice--Please Help Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
PAGuyana

New

Failed to Appear Twice--Please Help

Post by PAGuyana » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:29 pm

I failed to appear twice for the NY Bar exam--first time about ten years ago: I needed surgery and requested a waiver which was granted for a free retake; second time: I had a family emergency and could not attend.

Is any one familiar about the petition that NY requires for this situation when one applies for the Bar Exam?

Can anyone provide insight?

Thanks in advance!

JoeSeperac

Re: Failed to Appear Twice--Please Help

Post by JoeSeperac » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:09 pm

In my experience, NY BOLE usually grants the first “Two Withdrawal Waiver Petition.” I am aware of examinees who withdrew twice and were granted permission to sit for the exam. I am currently NOT aware of any examinee who was denied permission to sit for the exam after two withdrawals. However, I don’t know the circumstances of each examinee’s withdrawal or how in-depth their Rule 6000.6(i) petition was. Some things to be aware of to expedite your petition:

- Your response must be in the form of an affidavit (meaning it much be notarized/acknowledged). A sample blank affidavit is here:
http://seperac.com/pdf/Sample_Affidavit.doc
- Any documentation must be in English.
- Respond as truthfully as possible.
- According to NYBOLE: “Please also note that waiver petitions under Board Rule 6000.6 will generally only be granted once absent extremely compelling circumstances.” This means you better not withdraw again if you receive a waiver.

Post back to let me know how it goes.

yuzu

Bronze

Post by yuzu » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:22 pm

If the petition were somehow to be denied, it would seem to me that since NY is now a UBE jurisdiction you could simply take the UBE somewhere else and transfer the score. Therefore, this is a much less draconian rule than it used to be.

PAGuyana

New

Post by PAGuyana » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:42 am

Thank you for your help!

My petition was approved!!! Any advice for bar prep would be appreciated...

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:59 pm

PAGuyana wrote:Thank you for your help!

My petition was approved!!! Any advice for bar prep would be appreciated...
I recommend taking a bar course!!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PAGuyana

New

Post by PAGuyana » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:18 pm

Thank you!

nygee

New

Post by nygee » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:02 am

Hi, I failed to appear twice for the NY Bar exam--first time I didn't pass the background check; and the second time because of family emergency issue. I have no idea about the petition and the process. I saw a form provided above, however I still don't know how to prepare the affidavit. Can anyone advise me how to write the affidavit? Thank you!

nygee

New

Post by nygee » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:17 am

I received a notice from NY bar examiner and stated that I failed to appear twice for the NY Bar exam. first time: I didn't pass my background check; second: family emergency. I have no idea about the petition and what's the process. I saw the affidavit sample provided above; however, I still don't know how to prepare the affidavit. Can any one advise me how to write the affidavit? Thank you!

PAGuyana

New

Post by PAGuyana » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:19 am

Hi, I just laid out the reasons for my non-appearances, and expressed my desire to be a lawyer in NY because I believe in the justice system and wanted to make a positive contribution as a lawyer. I also called the NYBOLE and they were very helpful in giving me some advice on preparing the affidavit (which was pretty much common sense). Honestly I don't think it's a big deal--just get it done. Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”