Exam results appeal/OH Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Jmari

New

Exam results appeal/OH

Post by Jmari » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:06 pm

Anyone ever tried it? I don’t think Ohio allows it, but one my answers is identical to the published answer and they graded it as “1” I requested my answers and compared both. They are literally identical. What can I do? I missed the passing score by 4 points

kellyfrost

Platinum

Re: Exam results appeal/OH

Post by kellyfrost » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:40 pm

I would contact a character and fitness attorney, typically because they deal a lot with the bar and admissions.

Also, pretty strange your answers is exactly identical to the model answer, but I will take your word for it. If they truly botched your exam you should confront them and get it corrected. Bar exam grading is complete and arbitrary bullshit but no state bar should be able to get away with this.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

pausetildone

New

Post by pausetildone » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:05 pm

I will contact the Ohio bar and see what they say abaout this. Post your progress here.

It sounds like your answer was very much like the model answer and you received 1. Good luck and hope you passed.
Last edited by pausetildone on Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:38 pm

If you contact the Ohio bar and they are unwilling to help you or rude, then you need to share your exam answer and the model answer with the American Bar Association,
Wall Street Journal, Bloomberg, NY Times, Above the Law, and post it on here. Before you share with the media outlets, let the Ohio bar know your intentions.

This needs to be made public.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

omar.comin

New

Post by omar.comin » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:08 pm

Are you saying that your answer got published as the model answer? Or are you saying that in your eyes, they’re pretty much the same?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jphiggo

Bronze

Post by jphiggo » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:23 pm

Something tells me "identical" doesn't actually mean "identical" here.

pausetildone

New

Post by pausetildone » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:32 pm

kellyfrost wrote:If you contact the Ohio bar and they are unwilling to help you or rude, then you need to share your exam answer and the model answer with the American Bar Association,
Wall Street Journal, Bloomberg, NY Times, Above the Law, and post it on here. Before you share with the media outlets, let the Ohio bar know your intentions.

This needs to be made public.
I agree with this. I read many posts that some graders grading negligently without bad intention. You may want to check. In addition, the score may be mis-recorded by administrators. Request the model answer and your answer and show them your answer deserve better than 1.

Email to the board of Ohio bar association, too. If you email board members, they tend to take this little more seriously.

Wish you the best.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:29 am

Jmari wrote:Anyone ever tried it? I don’t think Ohio allows it, but one my answers is identical to the published answer and they graded it as “1” I requested my answers and compared both. They are literally identical. What can I do? I missed the passing score by 4 points
Can you view your answer after taking the exam? Curious as to how you know your answer is "literally identical"?

Not sure there's recourse other than an appeal to the Ohio Supreme Court. I think the advice to consult an attorney experienced in the admissions process would be your best bet.

Jmari

New

Post by Jmari » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:17 am

I appreciate all of your help with this. I requested all of my answers along with the model answers. I only looked at one of my answers so far and realized that I used the same argument, same rule, and arrived at the same conclusion. The actual answer called for 1a, 1b, 1c, 2a, 2b, and 2c. Out of all, I missed 2c but still made a decently valid argument. It was a Will’s essay and my division of all assets ended up the same as the model answer, using the same rule of law and the same argument. My answer is not the model answer, but looking at both, it is definitely not a 1/7 answer. A 1/7 says I have no knowledge of the subject matter, but how could I not when I used all of the law, issues, and arrived at the same conclusion as the model answer?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:20 am

So, that’s not actually identical, and there are lots of different ways to present the law, issues, and conclusion that might lose you points - bar examiners often need to see an essay written in a certain way, not just with certain content.

Jmari

New

Post by Jmari » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:41 am

I wish I can share my answer with you. I don’t know how it works with the Bar and this forum. I’m always going to be bias and say my answer is very close, but I wish I can share it with you and have you people judge.

maxmartin

Silver

Post by maxmartin » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:09 am

Jmari wrote:I wish I can share my answer with you. I don’t know how it works with the Bar and this forum. I’m always going to be bias and say my answer is very close, but I wish I can share it with you and have you people judge.
Just post your answer and model answer here. It is not some confidential information.

pausetildone

New

Post by pausetildone » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:49 am

Jmari wrote:I appreciate all of your help with this. I requested all of my answers along with the model answers. I only looked at one of my answers so far and realized that I used the same argument, same rule, and arrived at the same conclusion. The actual answer called for 1a, 1b, 1c, 2a, 2b, and 2c. Out of all, I missed 2c but still made a decently valid argument. It was a Will’s essay and my division of all assets ended up the same as the model answer, using the same rule of law and the same argument. My answer is not the model answer, but looking at both, it is definitely not a 1/7 answer. A 1/7 says I have no knowledge of the subject matter, but how could I not when I used all of the law, issues, and arrived at the same conclusion as the model answer?

Did you make the comparison of your answer and model answer, and send it to Ohio bar? Highlight the same part on both answers and tell the Ohio bar these parts mean same. At the same time, bring these comparison to your law school professor who taught you Will subject. Let see what he says about it. If s/he thinks it looks same, then record it as reference and send it to Ohio bar. If s/he doesn't see two are same, then you may learn how to arrange words right way. It sounds like you have all the right words and information in the answer. If you did not take the will course during the law school, talk to bar prep course instructors. They can give you the decent feedback too. Talk to your law school collegues and see what s/he says. They can tell you the answers they wrote and the grade they received. Record it as reference and send it to Ohio bar. The Ohio bar can compare two answers (your collegues and you) and give you more score because of fairness in grading.

I will look for a lawyer to consult on this too. S/he may have better ways to deal with this. S/he can be your school collegues who graduated and passed the bar years earlier.

According to what you say, you have a good reason to keep the argument with Ohio bar. Ask them who graded the Will part of your exam. Email him your reasoning of deserving more than 1 to that grader. Find all the ways to bring up the score if you really believe you deserve better than 1 on this part.

Good luck and keep your chin up.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Jmari

New

Post by Jmari » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:26 pm

pausetildone wrote:
Jmari wrote:I appreciate all of your help with this. I requested all of my answers along with the model answers. I only looked at one of my answers so far and realized that I used the same argument, same rule, and arrived at the same conclusion. The actual answer called for 1a, 1b, 1c, 2a, 2b, and 2c. Out of all, I missed 2c but still made a decently valid argument. It was a Will’s essay and my division of all assets ended up the same as the model answer, using the same rule of law and the same argument. My answer is not the model answer, but looking at both, it is definitely not a 1/7 answer. A 1/7 says I have no knowledge of the subject matter, but how could I not when I used all of the law, issues, and arrived at the same conclusion as the model answer?

Did you make the comparison of your answer and model answer, and send it to Ohio bar? Highlight the same part on both answers and tell the Ohio bar these parts mean same. At the same time, bring these comparison to your law school professor who taught you Will subject. Let see what he says about it. If s/he thinks it looks same, then record it as reference and send it to Ohio bar. If s/he doesn't see two are same, then you may learn how to arrange words right way. It sounds like you have all the right words and information in the answer. If you did not take the will course during the law school, talk to bar prep course instructors. They can give you the decent feedback too. Talk to your law school collegues and see what s/he says. They can tell you the answers they wrote and the grade they received. Record it as reference and send it to Ohio bar. The Ohio bar can compare two answers (your collegues and you) and give you more score because of fairness in grading.

I will look for a lawyer to consult on this too. S/he may have better ways to deal with this. S/he can be your school collegues who graduated and passed the bar years earlier.

According to what you say, you have a good reason to keep the argument with Ohio bar. Ask them who graded the Will part of your exam. Email him your reasoning of deserving more than 1 to that grader. Find all the ways to bring up the score if you really believe you deserve better than 1 on this part.

Thank you for that! I have emailed my Wills professor and waiting for a reaponse. Can I share my answer on here? What are the rules for that?

maxmartin

Silver

Post by maxmartin » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:40 am

Jmari wrote:
pausetildone wrote:

Thank you for that! I have emailed my Wills professor and waiting for a reaponse. Can I share my answer on here? What are the rules for that?
Yes, you can. There are no rules. These are not MBE questions. For most states, essay questions and model answers are public information, unless OH has some special wacky restrictions.

RCinDNA

Bronze

Post by RCinDNA » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:01 pm

Good luck. I considered doing the same but ended up dropping it. The medical licensing exam allows regrades and it seems to me that the bar exam should, too, considering the subjective elements involved. But anyway, I hope it all works out.

Jmari

New

Post by Jmari » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:08 pm

Can I post a picture of them? Or do I have to type out the whole thing?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:32 am

Jmari wrote:Can I post a picture of them? Or do I have to type out the whole thing?
Post a pic of your essay, that would be easier/faster.

Jmari

New

Post by Jmari » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:11 am

Why is it so hard to post a picture on here? can’t seem to figure it out. Any help?

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:14 pm

link to it on imgur.

Jmari

New

Post by Jmari » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:50 pm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

omar.comin

New

Post by omar.comin » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:17 pm

Make sure you clearly IRAC next time.

Issue: Validity of will

Rule: Clearly outline each element that makes up a valid will. (Don't remember off the top of my head.)

Analysis: Address every single element

Conclusion: Not as important, as long as analysis is solid; just make sure to have one.

If you missed passing by only a few points, then clearly IRAC'ing your essays should push you over in February. And, unfortunately, I don't think this is close to a model answer. Not sure it merits a 1 out of 7, but it's very far from what's acceptable. Also, how do you have so many typos? Practice your typing skills, seriously. You seem to misspell every other word.

Jmari

New

Post by Jmari » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:25 pm

omar.comin wrote:Make sure you clearly IRAC next time.

Rule: Clearly outline each element that makes up a valid will. (Don't remember off the top of my head.)

Conclusion: Not as important, as long as analysis is solid; just make sure to have one.

If you missed passing by only a few points, then clearly IRAC'ing your essays should push you over in February. And, unfortunately, I don't think this is close to a model answer. Not sure it merits a 1 out of 7, but it's very far from what's acceptable. Also, how do you have so many typos? Practice your typing skills, seriously. You seem to misspell every other word.

Thanks for the tips, but have you read the model answer?

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:12 pm

Jmari wrote:

can you link to the model answers?

Jmari

New

Post by Jmari » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:22 pm

pancakes3 wrote:
Jmari wrote:

can you link to the model answers?

https://imgur.com/a/0Vpnx

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”