On average, how long do people study for the bar? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
anonanonny

New

On average, how long do people study for the bar?

Post by anonanonny » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:15 pm

The title pretty much says it all. I'm wondering how long people typically study for the bar exam. I'll be taking the July 2018 exam but will need a surgery at some point next year that requires a 2-3 week recovery. Would it be unwise to get the surgery in May and begin studying the last week of May or the first week of June? I'm trying to figure out if the surgery has to wait until after July.

I know the time period varies for everyone, some people need more/less time, etc., but what is average or most common? Thanks in advance!

(I'm sure this has been asked. I apologize for asking again, but I'm a bit rushed right now and can't sift through the forums.)

Yugihoe

Silver

Re: On average, how long do people study for the bar?

Post by Yugihoe » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:18 pm

Most of my friends and I did June - July.

Tony48

New

Post by Tony48 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:25 pm

Probably early-June through late-July. (I did Barbri so my schedule was late-May through late July)

Hopefully your surgery and recovery go without a hitch!

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:28 pm

isn't having the surgery in the beginning of May cutting into your finals period and/or graduation?

anonanonny

New

Post by anonanonny » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:38 pm

pancakes3 wrote:isn't having the surgery in the beginning of May cutting into your finals period and/or graduation?
Nope! Graduation is the first weekend in May.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

metalgeek

New

Post by metalgeek » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:51 pm

I ended up studying way too much for the bar because I did poorly in law school and I was motivated by a reasonable fear of failure. I spent eight weeks and did about six days a week 9-5 with an additional 2-3 hours on Sunday. I ended up getting like a 160 on the MBE or something. Ha what a waste, I wish I would have been as disciplined in law school.

But based on what friends told me, it seems like most people just do about 40 hours a week for eight weeks.

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:19 pm

I started early (last week of May) and took it pretty easy day by day

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:27 am

16 years for me

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:55 am

Everyone's different, it's hard to gauge, and if you're taking CA bar you may seriously want to push back surgery.

But honestly it sounds like your situation should be to graduate, start studying right away, and then take a break for surgery and go light on studying in recovery, then ramp back up gradually. You have plenty of flexibility with an early May graduation.
Last edited by mcmand on Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gladiator0flaw11

Bronze

Post by gladiator0flaw11 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:20 am

anonanonny wrote:The title pretty much says it all. I'm wondering how long people typically study for the bar exam. I'll be taking the July 2018 exam but will need a surgery at some point next year that requires a 2-3 week recovery. Would it be unwise to get the surgery in May and begin studying the last week of May or the first week of June? I'm trying to figure out if the surgery has to wait until after July.

I know the time period varies for everyone, some people need more/less time, etc., but what is average or most common? Thanks in advance!

(I'm sure this has been asked. I apologize for asking again, but I'm a bit rushed right now and can't sift through the forums.)
I think it varies and is pretty subjective. I had some personal issues and was on the wrong medication during a rough patch in my life until I saw a psych after failing 3 times. I took it multiple times but once I was in a better mental place, I put in 3 to 4 hours a day or so 3 months before the exam.

AmicusCuriae6

New

Post by AmicusCuriae6 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:55 am

Studied 12 weeks, 8a-5p, barely on weekends would just outline essays and a few multiple choice. Took a few days off when I felt burnt out and did more than ok on the exam my first try.

Know yourself and study habits. If you're lucid enough and not on too much medication post surgery. I'm sure you can make a schedule that's effective for you to learn the material.

Law&coffee

New

Post by Law&coffee » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:02 pm

AmicusCuriae6 wrote:Studied 12 weeks, 8a-5p, barely on weekends would just outline essays and a few multiple choice. Took a few days off when I felt burnt out and did more than ok on the exam my first try.

Know yourself and study habits. If you're lucid enough and not on too much medication post surgery. I'm sure you can make a schedule that's effective for you to learn the material.

Started the bar course in May. I took it easy until July then studied A LOT the last three weeks. Keep in mind that I took key courses to Texas like trusts and estates, family law, and marital property during my last semester. Those courses helped me a lot.

AZ123

New

Post by AZ123 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:00 am

Somewhat related question: Is there anything wrong with starting bar study too early? I also have to miss a week or two during the summer and I would like to get a head start around the beginning of May to make up for it.

RCinDNA

Bronze

Post by RCinDNA » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:56 pm

I think starting early to begin MBE prep is a great idea. You basically have to review the outlines anyway so focusing on those subjects gets you in the examination mindset and allows you time to learn the tricks. I have only done 850 or so practice questions on AdaptiBar and from printed question sets and it really feels like the MbE is just best approached like a blunt object. The more questions you do and the more weong answers you get, the more nuances of law are revealed to you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”