SECOND DEPARTMENT ADMISSION CHARACTER AND FITNESS Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Plainsman11011

New

Re: SECOND DEPARTMENT ADMISSION CHARACTER AND FITNESS

Post by Plainsman11011 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:13 pm

For those of you who amended or supplemented your application, how did you go about doing this?

musername

New

Post by musername » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:46 pm

Meanwhile I'm still waiting since 12.21 interview. Called 2nd dept today. Was told my interviewer hasnt returned my application yet. =(

mysecretweapon

New

Post by mysecretweapon » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:34 pm

Does anyone have an extra ticket to spare for the admission ceremony on January 31st? Please message me. I would really appreciate it!!!

pra61391

Bronze

Post by pra61391 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:46 pm

1. When did you pass the bar exam?
2. When did you submit your application?
3. Did you have to amend or supplement your application?
4. When were you assigned an interviewer?
5. Thoughts on the interview?
6. Any concerns on the application? criminal history, mental illness, financial obligations, etc.?
7. Anyone not pass the interview stage?
8. When was the swearing in ceremony?

1. Received notice of passing via email on October 23, 2017.
2. First week of December, 2017
3. Yes
4. January 19, 2018
5. Simple. I was asked about 5 standard questions, then talked with my interviewer about football. The entire process took approximately 15 minutes
6. No
7. No
8. February 14, 2018

kumako

New

Post by kumako » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:24 pm

Finally submitted my materials. They told me that the interview will be held in 8-12 days.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zephyr12

New

Post by zephyr12 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:07 pm

Updating from earlier reply now that I'm done:

1. July 2017
2. Early October - I am a UBE transfer so I already had my score from WA.
3. Changed from 3rd Dept to 2nd Dept in late October after moving from NJ->Brooklyn. A few days later (early Nov) I got a call from someone in C&F at 2nd Dept with a long list of shit I needed to fix in my application. Resubmitted 11/20. Got a call on 11/24 that my current employer affidavit was still not up to snuff. Resubmitted that on 11/27.
4. 12/11
5. 12/26
6. Nope. Fired from one job and one speeding ticket. Interviewer asked about the firing but because she thought it was funny.
7. Passed.
8. 1/31

mallen30

New

Post by mallen30 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:39 am

6. Any concerns on the application? criminal history, mental illness, financial obligations, etc.?

1. Passed the July 2017 exam
2. January 3, 2018
3. Yes. I was notified on January 11 that I had to supplement my application. Resubmitted on January 21, 2018
4. I was notified of the interview on February 5 and I had the interview on February 8 2018
5. The interviewer was nice. Lasted about 10 mins.
6. Yes. I had unpaid debt that went into collections (which is why I had to supplement the application)
7. I havent heard back with an admission date but I doubt I didnt pass. I gave proof that im paying the debt back
8. N/A

mallen30

New

Post by mallen30 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:41 am

musername wrote:Meanwhile I'm still waiting since 12.21 interview. Called 2nd dept today. Was told my interviewer hasnt returned my application yet. =(

Have you heard back?

Gelly617

New

Post by Gelly617 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:44 pm

I had my interview 1/31 and haven’t heard back from 2nd department. Called today and they said the interviewer hasn’t submitted anything yet. Has this happened to anyone else? How long did it take to hear back?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mallen30

New

Post by mallen30 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:53 pm

mallen30 wrote:1. When did you pass the bar exam?

1. Passed the July 2017 exam
2. January 3, 2018
3. Yes. I was notified on January 11 that I had to supplement my application. Resubmitted on January 21, 2018
4. I was notified of the interview on February 5 and I had the interview on February 8 2018
5. The interviewer was nice. Lasted about 10 mins.
6. Yes. I had unpaid debt that went into collections (which is why I had to supplement the application)
7. I havent heard back with an admission date but I doubt I didnt pass. I gave proof that im paying the debt back
8. N/A
Update from earlier.

7. Passed
8. Notified today (February 14) that my swearing in ceremony will be March 7, 2018

kumako

New

Post by kumako » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:37 pm

1. July, 2017
2. February 5, 2018 (Noticed at Feb 14 that my application is complete)
3. No.
4. Noticed at Feb 20 that my interview will be held at Feb 22, 2018. (Interviewer called me directly)

kumako

New

Post by kumako » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:39 am

kumako wrote:1. When did you pass the bar exam?

1. July, 2017
2. February 5, 2018 (Noticed at Feb 14 that my application is complete)
3. No.
4. Noticed at Feb 20 that my interview will be held at Feb 22, 2018. (Interviewer called me directly)
The interview lasted 10-15 minutes. Just some questions regarding personal information and plans about future career.

MelaPela

New

Post by MelaPela » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:42 pm

I'm confused about these embedded codes in the Orientation to the Profession videos. I've watched four and haven't heard any. What are these supposed to be?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

zephyr12

New

Post by zephyr12 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:33 am

MelaPela wrote:I'm confused about these embedded codes in the Orientation to the Profession videos. I've watched four and haven't heard any. What are these supposed to be?
You won't hear them. The codes appear for a few seconds in a corner of the video at different points in each video.

Lawyerinwaiting89

Bronze

Post by Lawyerinwaiting89 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:31 pm

When should you expect an email from the Second Department inviting you to apply? Will it come before or after February results are released? I thought that BOLE sends the names of applicants to the individual departments depending on their address on file. Wanted to get a jump on the Welcome to the Profession videos but haven't received any info from the Second Department yet.

ojala

New

Post by ojala » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:22 pm

how many guests are you allowed to bring to the swearing in ceremony?

Cmal123

New

Post by Cmal123 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:53 am

Does anyone know if any of the documents/affidavits we need to submit expire at any point? The instructions say everything must be filed within 3 years of receiving a letter that you passed the bar.

So for instance, if i have all my law related employers fill out the required affidavit now and then (god forbid) get news that I didn't pass the July bar, the affidavits would still be good for me to submit after passing the February 2019 bar, right? Just want to make sure I'm reading it correctly so I don't make double work for myself..or my previous employers. TIA!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

qds6HVzD

New

Post by qds6HVzD » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:00 pm

Cmal123 wrote:Does anyone know if any of the documents/affidavits we need to submit expire at any point? The instructions say everything must be filed within 3 years of receiving a letter that you passed the bar.

So for instance, if i have all my law related employers fill out the required affidavit now and then (god forbid) get news that I didn't pass the July bar, the affidavits would still be good for me to submit after passing the February 2019 bar, right? Just want to make sure I'm reading it correctly so I don't make double work for myself..or my previous employers. TIA!
Good Moral Character affidavits must be dated no earlier than 60 days
prior to the filing your application.

All required Employment Affidavits or Letter affidavits of current legal employment must be dated no earlier than 60 days prior to the filing of your application.

^ found in the 2nd Dept. Supplemental instructions.

gom.sa

New

Post by gom.sa » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:49 am

I've got a DAT for trespassing as well as a one ticket each for open container, public urination, blocking pedestrian traffic on the subway. Any idea on how to properly disclose this? Should I obtain court records - if so, how would I go about doing so?

adil91

Silver

Post by adil91 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:23 pm

I can't find the darn codes in a couple of the orientation to the profession videos..pretty frustrating

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:56 pm

gom.sa wrote:I've got a DAT for trespassing as well as a one ticket each for open container, public urination, blocking pedestrian traffic on the subway. Any idea on how to properly disclose this? Should I obtain court records - if so, how would I go about doing so?
Just a DAT? No disposition yet?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

heyarnold

New

Post by heyarnold » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:55 pm

Has anybody here been sworn in individually with a judge -- and expediting the process of receiving a Certificate of Good Standing?

For my job, I really have to be sworn in as quickly as possible? Has anybody here completed the whole process by, say, mid December?

malibustacy

Bronze

Post by malibustacy » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:35 pm

Just for future reference because I found this helpful

1. Notified of passing October 23rd; July 2018 exam
2. Mailed out October 23rd, office received October 24th; everything was lined up and ready. Just needed to pay for registration and print out certification.
3. No amendments necessary
4. Assigned Interviewer 11/1. Interview on 11/16
5. A bit more intense than people made it seem; talked a lot about values and life experiences.
6. No real concerns on application. Parted ways with a job on bad terms once, speeding tickets.
7. Notified of passing interview 11/26, took longer because of Thanksgiving holiday. Told at interview I should basically be admitted.
8. Swearing-in date 12/12

I guess the lesson in this is to have absolutely everything ready to go if you want to be sworn in the same year. I sent and received my affidavits, certification forms, pro bono forms from various people at least two weeks before even passing. Everything was ready to go the day results came out.

Trevorange

New

Post by Trevorange » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:52 pm

malibustacy wrote:Just for future reference because I found this helpful

2. Mailed out October 23rd, office received October 24th; everything was lined up and ready. Just needed to pay for registration and print out certification.
5. A bit more intense than people made it seem; talked a lot about values and life experiences.
6. No real concerns on application. Parted ways with a job on bad terms once, speeding tickets.
7. Notified of passing interview 11/26, took longer because of Thanksgiving holiday. Told at interview I should basically be admitted.

I guess the lesson in this is to have absolutely everything ready to go if you want to be sworn in the same year. I sent and received my affidavits, certification forms, pro bono forms from various people at least two weeks before even passing. Everything was ready to go the day results came out.
Did you request your driving record from the DMV so you could have documentation of the speeding tickets? Or did you just disclose on the application that you had them?

I'm 50/50 on whether I got a speeding ticket or just a warning when I was pulled over just around 10 years ago. I'm waiting to hear back from the DMV about my driving record, but I'm planning on disclosing.

malibustacy

Bronze

Post by malibustacy » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:57 pm

Trevorange wrote:
malibustacy wrote:Just for future reference because I found this helpful

Did you request your driving record from the DMV so you could have documentation of the speeding tickets? Or did you just disclose on the application that you had them?

I'm 50/50 on whether I got a speeding ticket or just a warning when I was pulled over just around 10 years ago. I'm waiting to hear back from the DMV about my driving record, but I'm planning on disclosing.
I got DMV records. In one case where it was struck from record, I got a letter from the court. Probably way too over the top, but I had time to kill.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”