2018 February CA Bar

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
rayforoc

New
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 9:36 pm

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby rayforoc » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:13 pm

catechumen wrote:I guess just about everyone has left the board until a week before results come out. How disappointing. For those of you that are still left, when are you going to start studying again?



Still here as well and I too check the boards periodically.

I am applying to jobs and will begin reading the Barbri big books next week, then move to memorizing outlines, then drill mbes and go over essays and PT prep. Especially PT prep as this was my problem last week. I very well passed, but don't want to take the chance of failing and then having to rush prep. Besides, I'll be working at least part-time will I study this spring so I need a good head start.

rayforoc

New
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 9:36 pm

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby rayforoc » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:14 pm

I appreciate everyones help and kind words thus far.

jduckits

New
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:40 pm

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby jduckits » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:37 pm

rayforoc wrote:
catechumen wrote:I guess just about everyone has left the board until a week before results come out. How disappointing. For those of you that are still left, when are you going to start studying again?



Still here as well and I too check the boards periodically.

I am applying to jobs and will begin reading the Barbri big books next week, then move to memorizing outlines, then drill mbes and go over essays and PT prep. Especially PT prep as this was my problem last week. I very well passed, but don't want to take the chance of failing and then having to rush prep. Besides, I'll be working at least part-time will I study this spring so I need a good head start.


Still here as well. Will check in periodically as I have the forum up in one of my windows on my phone. Always like to hear insight on the essays. Best to everyone, I truly hope we all pass...

Yogagirl

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:16 pm

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby Yogagirl » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:06 am

I am still here, too, and wishing the very best for everyone. As for me, I am hoping for 131 correct MBE questions. Reaching this goal in practice and again for the actual exam remains to be seen. I know that I did my best, but am still preparing for the possibility of failure. Regarding July, I have been reviewing outlines and BLL in my head during my long daily commute to and from work. I will begin to study in earnest during spring break.

What'sUP?

New
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:59 pm

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby What'sUP? » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:43 pm

Still here, and will check it periodically too. Now that some time has passed I think -- I hope -- that I have some perspective. In thinking about the exam almost two weeks out . . . were there things I wish I would have written about or mentioned? Of course! But, such is life right?! I can deal with not passing -- I'll have to figure out how to improve my skill set. I had goals for myself this time, and with a few exceptions, I felt like I was able to meet them. So we'll see. I know May is not far off, but it would be so great if results came out sooner. I would love to know how I did while things are still relatively fresh in my mind. I think it would help me determine where my weaknesses were. But, I am sure I'll get the picture if I get my results back! :shock: :o :roll:

hope2018

New
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:57 pm

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby hope2018 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:54 pm

I am here too..checking everyone's posts...I will probably take a break from the exam and return Feb2019. I work full-time and I don't have time or energy to study again this summer. I missed the exam last year by 20 points, not sure this year.

What'sUP?

New
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:59 pm

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby What'sUP? » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:49 pm

I was so looking forward to the exam ending because I thought I was going to be able to freely engage in other more pleasurable activities than studying. But, after I settled from my post-bar exam rollercoaster -- of euphoria for getting through it, to letting curiosity get the best of me and discussing with others what I wrote on the exam, to then second guessing myself and deciding that I failed, to regaining some perspective -- I realized, "Oh, it is probably too early for me to like sit on my laurels. . .damn." I know that if I don't pass, I will sit for July. And, I work full-time, so I know I have to make the most of every opportunity. So, I am going to review my materials to go over my substantive knowledge and do my best to shore up my weaknesses and continue studying/reviewing. It feels like a drag for sure, but come May I'll be glad I did if I need to re-test. Its such a bummer because I feel like I am back studying for it to the same extent that I was before February -- whatever. . . so bummed I have to postpone more stuff :(

BrainToast

New
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:04 am

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby BrainToast » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:02 am

What'sUP? wrote:I was so looking forward to the exam ending because I thought I was going to be able to freely engage in other more pleasurable activities than studying. But, after I settled from my post-bar exam rollercoaster -- of euphoria for getting through it, to letting curiosity get the best of me and discussing with others what I wrote on the exam, to then second guessing myself and deciding that I failed, to regaining some perspective -- I realized, "Oh, it is probably too early for me to like sit on my laurels. . .damn." I know that if I don't pass, I will sit for July. And, I work full-time, so I know I have to make the most of every opportunity. So, I am going to review my materials to go over my substantive knowledge and do my best to shore up my weaknesses and continue studying/reviewing. It feels like a drag for sure, but come May I'll be glad I did if I need to re-test. Its such a bummer because I feel like I am back studying for it to the same extent that I was before February -- whatever. . . so bummed I have to postpone more stuff :(

Yeah it has been a wild ride and waiting is pretty rough too. I’m a first timer, went to a bad school, but did well there and did 85% of barbri legitimately. I hit high 130 on the mock barbri mbe also. But still, when the test hits you, all that goes out the window. Right there with you. Might start studying may 1. At least it will pass time for the last few days.

bacillusanthracis

New
Posts: 81
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:30 am

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby bacillusanthracis » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:26 pm

rayforoc wrote:
catechumen wrote:I guess just about everyone has left the board until a week before results come out. How disappointing. For those of you that are still left, when are you going to start studying again?



Still here as well and I too check the boards periodically.

I am applying to jobs and will begin reading the Barbri big books next week, then move to memorizing outlines, then drill mbes and go over essays and PT prep. Especially PT prep as this was my problem last week. I very well passed, but don't want to take the chance of failing and then having to rush prep. Besides, I'll be working at least part-time will I study this spring so I need a good head start.


I think that's a great idea.

I remember leaving the July bar, with the utmost certainty that I'd failed. I told several people, including classmates, a counselor, a professor, and several attorneys that I was going to take a week off and then start studying for February.

They all told me not to; just wait for results, you probably passed, you're not going to want to study, etc.

They were all wrong.

It's important to stay current because the amount of information and test-taking techniques you have to know for the bar disappears pretty quickly. The schedule doesn't have to be murderous. I do 25 MBE questions about four days a week, and I go through an essay or two about four days out of the week. It's a schedule I can maintain while working, and it keeps all the concepts relatively fresh. I'll admit it's awful to sit down with that stuff; I dread it. But I also know how I felt when I got results and that, as well as the subsequent retaking was much worse.

I'm am far, far from certain I passed this latest bar exam, and to not do what I knew I needed to do last time was a terrible mistake.

What'sUP?

New
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:59 pm

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby What'sUP? » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:59 pm

bacillusanthracis wrote:
rayforoc wrote:
catechumen wrote:I guess just about everyone has left the board until a week before results come out. How disappointing. For those of you that are still left, when are you going to start studying again?



Still here as well and I too check the boards periodically.

I am applying to jobs and will begin reading the Barbri big books next week, then move to memorizing outlines, then drill mbes and go over essays and PT prep. Especially PT prep as this was my problem last week. I very well passed, but don't want to take the chance of failing and then having to rush prep. Besides, I'll be working at least part-time will I study this spring so I need a good head start.


I think that's a great idea.

I remember leaving the July bar, with the utmost certainty that I'd failed. I told several people, including classmates, a counselor, a professor, and several attorneys that I was going to take a week off and then start studying for February.

They all told me not to; just wait for results, you probably passed, you're not going to want to study, etc.

They were all wrong.

It's important to stay current because the amount of information and test-taking techniques you have to know for the bar disappears pretty quickly. The schedule doesn't have to be murderous. I do 25 MBE questions about four days a week, and I go through an essay or two about four days out of the week. It's a schedule I can maintain while working, and it keeps all the concepts relatively fresh. I'll admit it's awful to sit down with that stuff; I dread it. But I also know how I felt when I got results and that, as well as the subsequent retaking was much worse.

I'm am far, far from certain I passed this latest bar exam, and to not do what I knew I needed to do last time was a terrible mistake.


Thanks for this sage advice -- you're right, the post-bar study schedule does not have to be excruciating. That is how I am looking at it. I am reviewing my substantive knowledge and the strenght of all my review materials. I think I will be better off for it in May when I find out results. Acutally, I feel like I am at a place where I no longer see myself as "watiing for results" as much as I see myself as someone who is now ramping things up to take the July bar. . .and since that is how I feel . . . I am just going with it. And, I am at peace with that . . . ahem. . . for now. . .Best to everyone!

rayforoc

New
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 9:36 pm

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby rayforoc » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:31 pm

What'sUP? wrote:
bacillusanthracis wrote:
rayforoc wrote:
catechumen wrote:I guess just about everyone has left the board until a week before results come out. How disappointing. For those of you that are still left, when are you going to start studying again?



Still here as well and I too check the boards periodically.

I am applying to jobs and will begin reading the Barbri big books next week, then move to memorizing outlines, then drill mbes and go over essays and PT prep. Especially PT prep as this was my problem last week. I very well passed, but don't want to take the chance of failing and then having to rush prep. Besides, I'll be working at least part-time will I study this spring so I need a good head start.


I think that's a great idea.

I remember leaving the July bar, with the utmost certainty that I'd failed. I told several people, including classmates, a counselor, a professor, and several attorneys that I was going to take a week off and then start studying for February.

They all told me not to; just wait for results, you probably passed, you're not going to want to study, etc.

They were all wrong.

It's important to stay current because the amount of information and test-taking techniques you have to know for the bar disappears pretty quickly. The schedule doesn't have to be murderous. I do 25 MBE questions about four days a week, and I go through an essay or two about four days out of the week. It's a schedule I can maintain while working, and it keeps all the concepts relatively fresh. I'll admit it's awful to sit down with that stuff; I dread it. But I also know how I felt when I got results and that, as well as the subsequent retaking was much worse.

I'm am far, far from certain I passed this latest bar exam, and to not do what I knew I needed to do last time was a terrible mistake.


Thanks for this sage advice -- you're right, the post-bar study schedule does not have to be excruciating. That is how I am looking at it. I am reviewing my substantive knowledge and the strenght of all my review materials. I think I will be better off for it in May when I find out results. Acutally, I feel like I am at a place where I no longer see myself as "watiing for results" as much as I see myself as someone who is now ramping things up to take the July bar. . .and since that is how I feel . . . I am just going with it. And, I am at peace with that . . . ahem. . . for now. . .Best to everyone!



Yeah you know its kinda hectic. i am applying to all these companies / firms and just assuming I passed and being real fucking believable about it. I am applying to M&A firms too because I dug that stuff and honestly not too jazzed about practicing law in the medium term. Even saw an British/Irish company on indeed that's opening up an office in OC so Im going to hit them up. Here's the thing I noticed last night, when I began reading the big book outlines for multistate, I had this sudden glimpse of like, "hey, if I didn't pass its not going to sting as bad because i'll already be a couple months into steady prep and so I'll immediately be fired up to crush July. Fuck it." And I think the critical point is really believing this. Many factors go into that moment immediately after not seeing your number on the pass list (ie, how much you missed it by, what's life been like for you over these last few months, etc), but I think for me this will make a big difference (notwithstanding the gut-punish-feeling that's inevitable). Anyway, I think deep down I have a feeling I won't pass and my score will be 1425ish, I don't know why, but thats the number I have nightmares about. I think its due to this analysis: MBEs were good, essays were good/acceptable except for 1.5 fuck ups, but PT was trash, and since PT is two essays I am not sure how to still get 1440+. #NOTCHARLIESHEENWINNINGATTHEMOMENT

Underoath

Bronze
Posts: 217
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:49 pm

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby Underoath » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:43 pm

I will be taking the July 2018 exam, for more times than I want to admit. I know subjects can be tested back to back, but do the bar examiners REALLY test the same issue in subsequent administrations? For example, how likely will religion be tested in July? I understand KNOW EVERYTHING, but also want to be strategic as well.

What'sUP?

New
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:59 pm

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby What'sUP? » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:28 pm

rayforoc wrote:
What'sUP? wrote:
bacillusanthracis wrote:
rayforoc wrote:
catechumen wrote:I guess just about everyone has left the board until a week before results come out. How disappointing. For those of you that are still left, when are you going to start studying again?



Still here as well and I too check the boards periodically.

I am applying to jobs and will begin reading the Barbri big books next week, then move to memorizing outlines, then drill mbes and go over essays and PT prep. Especially PT prep as this was my problem last week. I very well passed, but don't want to take the chance of failing and then having to rush prep. Besides, I'll be working at least part-time will I study this spring so I need a good head start.


I think that's a great idea.

I remember leaving the July bar, with the utmost certainty that I'd failed. I told several people, including classmates, a counselor, a professor, and several attorneys that I was going to take a week off and then start studying for February.

They all told me not to; just wait for results, you probably passed, you're not going to want to study, etc.

They were all wrong.

It's important to stay current because the amount of information and test-taking techniques you have to know for the bar disappears pretty quickly. The schedule doesn't have to be murderous. I do 25 MBE questions about four days a week, and I go through an essay or two about four days out of the week. It's a schedule I can maintain while working, and it keeps all the concepts relatively fresh. I'll admit it's awful to sit down with that stuff; I dread it. But I also know how I felt when I got results and that, as well as the subsequent retaking was much worse.

I'm am far, far from certain I passed this latest bar exam, and to not do what I knew I needed to do last time was a terrible mistake.


Thanks for this sage advice -- you're right, the post-bar study schedule does not have to be excruciating. That is how I am looking at it. I am reviewing my substantive knowledge and the strenght of all my review materials. I think I will be better off for it in May when I find out results. Acutally, I feel like I am at a place where I no longer see myself as "watiing for results" as much as I see myself as someone who is now ramping things up to take the July bar. . .and since that is how I feel . . . I am just going with it. And, I am at peace with that . . . ahem. . . for now. . .Best to everyone!



Yeah you know its kinda hectic. i am applying to all these companies / firms and just assuming I passed and being real fucking believable about it. I am applying to M&A firms too because I dug that stuff and honestly not too jazzed about practicing law in the medium term. Even saw an British/Irish company on indeed that's opening up an office in OC so Im going to hit them up. Here's the thing I noticed last night, when I began reading the big book outlines for multistate, I had this sudden glimpse of like, "hey, if I didn't pass its not going to sting as bad because i'll already be a couple months into steady prep and so I'll immediately be fired up to crush July. Fuck it." And I think the critical point is really believing this. Many factors go into that moment immediately after not seeing your number on the pass list (ie, how much you missed it by, what's life been like for you over these last few months, etc), but I think for me this will make a big difference (notwithstanding the gut-punish-feeling that's inevitable). Anyway, I think deep down I have a feeling I won't pass and my score will be 1425ish, I don't know why, but thats the number I have nightmares about. I think its due to this analysis: MBEs were good, essays were good/acceptable except for 1.5 fuck ups, but PT was trash, and since PT is two essays I am not sure how to still get 1440+. #NOTCHARLIESHEENWINNINGATTHEMOMENT


I totally hear you!!!! Best of luck!!! I think the sobering reality is slowly sinking in for me as the days past. So, I am going to do my level best to stay/feel prepared for getting results in May. As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, my memory of the exam and my performance on it is fading -- which is okay, I am ready to move on. I am in the process of mentally preeparing to have to be better, faster, and stronger for next time. And, again that is okay. Relative to the last time I took the exam, I do feel better about things generally, but I am not sure that equates to a passing score. We'll see. Whewwwww . . . what a challenge this all is!!!!!

LockBox

Bronze
Posts: 424
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:05 pm

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby LockBox » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:57 pm

Here is the reality - some of you will pass and some of you will fail. The hardest part about the time spent waiting is that it's out of your hands. Don't think, though, that it isn't stressful. This was the most stressful time for me.

That being said, you all know yourselves better than anyone. If you think you need to study, then do it prior to getting results. However, I was no expert bar taker and didn't study while waiting and didn't regret it. Now, if you have to work during the last 10 weeks before the exam then by all means start sooner. But my advice would be to try to relax during this time and put the exam out of your head, then act when you get results. Obviously, easier said than done. But stressing over the results isn't going to change anything.

bacillusanthracis

New
Posts: 81
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:30 am

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby bacillusanthracis » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:37 pm

Underoath wrote:I will be taking the July 2018 exam, for more times than I want to admit. I know subjects can be tested back to back, but do the bar examiners REALLY test the same issue in subsequent administrations? For example, how likely will religion be tested in July? I understand KNOW EVERYTHING, but also want to be strategic as well.


Religion wasn't likely this time around. The last Conlaw essay was procedural due process. The one prior to that was religion. TPM restrictions, commerce clause (and all that goes with it), individual rights, and even a full blown takings essay seemed more likely than religion.

A triple crossover wasn't likely either.

Crossing over community with property with wills/trusts wasn't horribly unlikely, but to call it beforehand would've been a stretch.

Crim was somewhat likely, but it was essentially the same essay they gave last February. I'd expected, and studied for a lot of 5th and 6th Amendment stuff, but was less prepared for doing nearly the exact same crim/pro test they gave this time as last.

The essay portion of this past exam was, in my opinion (for whatever that's worth) considerably more difficult than the July bar. I did well at predicting 4/5 of the July bar and my scores largely reflected that.

Does this latest bar exam indicate a new trend in California? Nobody knows except the sadists who create the damn thing.

I despised the "be prepared for everything" advice, because it was non-advice. And up until now, it didn't seem to be all that true. Well, it now seems to be true.

anon0515

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:25 pm

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby anon0515 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:34 am

bacillusanthracis wrote:
Underoath wrote:I will be taking the July 2018 exam, for more times than I want to admit. I know subjects can be tested back to back, but do the bar examiners REALLY test the same issue in subsequent administrations? For example, how likely will religion be tested in July? I understand KNOW EVERYTHING, but also want to be strategic as well.


Religion wasn't likely this time around. The last Conlaw essay was procedural due process. The one prior to that was religion. TPM restrictions, commerce clause (and all that goes with it), individual rights, and even a full blown takings essay seemed more likely than religion.

A triple crossover wasn't likely either.

Crossing over community with property with wills/trusts wasn't horribly unlikely, but to call it beforehand would've been a stretch.

Crim was somewhat likely, but it was essentially the same essay they gave last February. I'd expected, and studied for a lot of 5th and 6th Amendment stuff, but was less prepared for doing nearly the exact same crim/pro test they gave this time as last.

The essay portion of this past exam was, in my opinion (for whatever that's worth) considerably more difficult than the July bar. I did well at predicting 4/5 of the July bar and my scores largely reflected that.

Does this latest bar exam indicate a new trend in California? Nobody knows except the sadists who create the damn thing.

I despised the "be prepared for everything" advice, because it was non-advice. And up until now, it didn't seem to be all that true. Well, it now seems to be true.


Did you have one bad essay on the July exam that did you in? I mixed up the BLL on the wills essay for this past exam, which led to incorrect conclusions on other interests, and just wrote a rushed (and incorrect law) essay. But, I feel okay about most of the other essays (minus missing the free speech/book analysis on Con Law), good about the PT, avg on MBE (could go either way)... wondering if that essay will put me over the edge and prevent me from passing. You really do need to have all the law nailed down for these essays.

hope2018

New
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:57 pm

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby hope2018 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:03 pm

Do you find graders to be more strict with the two day test compared to 3 days, just so that they keep the passing rate within range?

maxmartin

Silver
Posts: 702
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:41 pm

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby maxmartin » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:03 pm

hope2018 wrote:Do you find graders to be more strict with the two day test compared to 3 days, just so that they keep the passing rate within range?


Personally, I think it is less strict. In 2017 July, I completely misread the PT, the letter is supposed to direct to the opposing counsel, somehow I thought it is to persuade the client's wife to accept the plea deal. LMAO. I passed and I doubt I could pass under the three-day format.

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=280290

attyapp

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:32 pm

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby attyapp » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:47 pm

Hi everyone - I just found this site and it's been nice to finally get some insight from other people about what the answers to the essays were. I wasn't part of a study group and took the attorney bar after relocating only a few months ago. I'm hoping my analysis will help me get the passing score, though it seems I missed an issue or two on each essay. For instance, I only discussed (though in detail) free exercise and establishment issues on the Con Law - the other issues didn't seem relevant to me (though I quickly dismissed content-based stuff). Also, the PR essay threw me off and I only discussed the offer of false testimony and the offering of opinion/outside facts in the closing, and a bit about retaining an expert. Finally, I made a really stupid wills goof re community property. Ugh. I do hope that the graders favor hearty analysis and that this will push me over the edge. I also won't have the MBE to bring me up. Anyway, that's my rant. I appreciate the back-and-forth! Having it has been helpful as I the test comes into my mind every hour and I have no one to discuss it with!

bacillusanthracis

New
Posts: 81
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:30 am

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby bacillusanthracis » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:02 pm

anon0515 wrote:Did you have one bad essay on the July exam that did you in? I mixed up the BLL on the wills essay for this past exam, which led to incorrect conclusions on other interests, and just wrote a rushed (and incorrect law) essay. But, I feel okay about most of the other essays (minus missing the free speech/book analysis on Con Law), good about the PT, avg on MBE (could go either way)... wondering if that essay will put me over the edge and prevent me from passing. You really do need to have all the law nailed down for these essays.


I had a shit score of 50 on one essay, but the rest were fine.

I totally bombed the MBE though.

Anyway, one bad essay likely won't ruin you. It's the whole that matters, not one component part. Well, maybe. I'll save the horror stories.

Look, it's a stupid, overly punitive, obsolete test and no one, not even the people who create the test can tell you what you'll have to score on each section in order for it to add up to a passing grade. What would be a passing score on any given essay? Hell, they don't even know going in, and they take a long, painful time to figure it out.

You won't know until you know. It's useless advice to say don't worry about it until then because you absolutely are going to worry about it until then. The only useful advice that I know to give you on this is to not bullshit yourself. After the MBE in July, I knew I failed it. Down to my core, I knew it. But over the following months, I rationalized my way into thinking I probably passed it, which made the disappointment especially severe because I knew better.

bacillusanthracis

New
Posts: 81
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:30 am

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby bacillusanthracis » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:31 pm

hope2018 wrote:Do you find graders to be more strict with the two day test compared to 3 days, just so that they keep the passing rate within range?


Hard to say.

Probably not?

The fact that no one actually knows seems to be the more pertinent question. But the fact that no one knows makes the question unanswerable.

As for "passing within range," I don't know what that means. If only 20% of applicants passed any given bar exam, they'd just call us all a bunch of dumb-fucks anyway. Also, the CBE, oh so concerned with honesty and forthrightness tried to pull the old flimflam by reporting a 49% pass rate for last July by not counting the people who didn't finish the exam. So the pass rate from the July bar is, in reality, almost identical to the previous July. I'd like to think the California Supreme Court is going to come down hard on them, but that's not likely.

Sorry, I'm especially bitter today.

I got a call from a classmate today about a thing, asking me what I thought about said thing. He's already got his own practice up and running. It was on a personal injury matter. What he didn't know surprised me. But that's totally fine. One of the most important things for a new practitioner is to be aware of what you don't know, and then learn about it, which is exactly what he did.

So what's the difference between me and him? A good MBE score.

Yeah, I'm fucking bitter.

User avatar
a male human

Gold
Posts: 1939
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby a male human » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:03 am

bacillusanthracis wrote:
hope2018 wrote:Do you find graders to be more strict with the two day test compared to 3 days, just so that they keep the passing rate within range?


Hard to say.

Probably not?

The fact that no one actually knows seems to be the more pertinent question. But the fact that no one knows makes the question unanswerable.

As for "passing within range," I don't know what that means. If only 20% of applicants passed any given bar exam, they'd just call us all a bunch of dumb-fucks anyway. Also, the CBE, oh so concerned with honesty and forthrightness tried to pull the old flimflam by reporting a 49% pass rate for last July by not counting the people who didn't finish the exam. So the pass rate from the July bar is, in reality, almost identical to the previous July. I'd like to think the California Supreme Court is going to come down hard on them, but that's not likely.

Sorry, I'm especially bitter today.

I got a call from a classmate today about a thing, asking me what I thought about said thing. He's already got his own practice up and running. It was on a personal injury matter. What he didn't know surprised me. But that's totally fine. One of the most important things for a new practitioner is to be aware of what you don't know, and then learn about it, which is exactly what he did.

So what's the difference between me and him? A good MBE score.

Yeah, I'm fucking bitter.

Solution: Pass the bar.

You're kind of between a rock and a hard place because things are going to be even worse when you practice as an attorney. I understand that it's easier said than done. Shit, I failed once and that left enough of a trauma on me that I'm turned into a different person. I understand that right now, passing can feel like the most important thing ever. Partly because if you don't pass the bar, you're going to feel like human waste and you'll have nightmares about your former classmates sneering at you behind their professional-grade firm photos.

You were doomed the moment you decided to go to law school and take the bar. You're psychologically and mentally forced to jump out of the frying pan into the fire. But hey, plenty of people are doing fine or pretending they love their jobs.

Don't like what I'm saying? You bitter? Good. We return to the initial point: Pass the bar. Most people put it aside out of their minds and are taking it easy right now. It's good that you're still thinking about it and are acutely aware of the consequences of passing and not passing.

What'sUP?

New
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:59 pm

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby What'sUP? » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:30 pm

attyapp wrote:Hi everyone - I just found this site and it's been nice to finally get some insight from other people about what the answers to the essays were. I wasn't part of a study group and took the attorney bar after relocating only a few months ago. I'm hoping my analysis will help me get the passing score, though it seems I missed an issue or two on each essay. For instance, I only discussed (though in detail) free exercise and establishment issues on the Con Law - the other issues didn't seem relevant to me (though I quickly dismissed content-based stuff). Also, the PR essay threw me off and I only discussed the offer of false testimony and the offering of opinion/outside facts in the closing, and a bit about retaining an expert. Finally, I made a really stupid wills goof re community property. Ugh. I do hope that the graders favor hearty analysis and that this will push me over the edge. I also won't have the MBE to bring me up. Anyway, that's my rant. I appreciate the back-and-forth! Having it has been helpful as I the test comes into my mind every hour and I have no one to discuss it with!


I know its been a couple of weeks since the test and we have hashed out issues, and expressed our personal anxieties and fears, but is anyone else experience a second wave of doubt?It is weird, the more time that passes, the less of the exam I remember, yet this morning I woke up thinking about the first essay (which initially I didn't feel too worried about) thinking "Did I even do that right?" I find myself even more doubtful . . . its like all of a sudden I am thinking "Did I even write about that correctly?!" Also, I neglected to discuss a PR issue about the L's comment during closing because I just plain forgot! I reminded myself as I was typing "Oh, yeah, don't forget to discuss _______." But, failing to make a literal note of it resulted in me forgetting . . . I was so trying to stay on target with my time that I just got distracted. Anyway. I do relate to your feelings. Especially, about the Con Law essay. I think I may have heavily analyzed a non-issue -- so, that concerns me. But, we'll see. I guess all of the second guessing is a natural part of the anticipation of the unknown and waiting for the results. I think the stress and the anticipation gets to me more than I think I want to acknowledge. Which I suppose we all have to take in stride. I appreciate this forum for sure. Thanks!

LockBox

Bronze
Posts: 424
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:05 pm

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby LockBox » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:04 pm

a male human wrote:
bacillusanthracis wrote:
hope2018 wrote:Do you find graders to be more strict with the two day test compared to 3 days, just so that they keep the passing rate within range?


Hard to say.

Probably not?

The fact that no one actually knows seems to be the more pertinent question. But the fact that no one knows makes the question unanswerable.

As for "passing within range," I don't know what that means. If only 20% of applicants passed any given bar exam, they'd just call us all a bunch of dumb-fucks anyway. Also, the CBE, oh so concerned with honesty and forthrightness tried to pull the old flimflam by reporting a 49% pass rate for last July by not counting the people who didn't finish the exam. So the pass rate from the July bar is, in reality, almost identical to the previous July. I'd like to think the California Supreme Court is going to come down hard on them, but that's not likely.

Sorry, I'm especially bitter today.

I got a call from a classmate today about a thing, asking me what I thought about said thing. He's already got his own practice up and running. It was on a personal injury matter. What he didn't know surprised me. But that's totally fine. One of the most important things for a new practitioner is to be aware of what you don't know, and then learn about it, which is exactly what he did.

So what's the difference between me and him? A good MBE score.

Yeah, I'm fucking bitter.

Solution: Pass the bar.

You're kind of between a rock and a hard place because things are going to be even worse when you practice as an attorney. I understand that it's easier said than done. Shit, I failed once and that left enough of a trauma on me that I'm turned into a different person. I understand that right now, passing can feel like the most important thing ever. Partly because if you don't pass the bar, you're going to feel like human waste and you'll have nightmares about your former classmates sneering at you behind their professional-grade firm photos.

You were doomed the moment you decided to go to law school and take the bar. You're psychologically and mentally forced to jump out of the frying pan into the fire. But hey, plenty of people are doing fine or pretending they love their jobs.

Don't like what I'm saying? You bitter? Good. We return to the initial point: Pass the bar. Most people put it aside out of their minds and are taking it easy right now. It's good that you're still thinking about it and are acutely aware of the consequences of passing and not passing.


This.

And this: https://www.lawcrossing.com/article/900 ... t-Attempt/

CDNKimberley

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:24 am

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby CDNKimberley » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:50 am

Very interesting read. Thank you for all the posts and contributions. I am/was a Canadian lawyer. I can't believe this myself, but I took the British Columbia bar 20 years ago! I have been in California now for a little over 13 years and it has been that long since I practiced.

People have been nagging me for years to take the California Bar but the thought of 18 hour days again was just not something I was ready to do. Well, this year I decided to do it. There I sat with a room full of freezing aspiring lawyers in Pasadena. I mean, seriously, why do they have to keep the room that cold?

I started studying the last week in August and I must say I was a little off on my thought that the Canadian and American legal systems were virtually the same. The Canadian Constitution is so much younger (thus less case law), contracts - similar and I was glad to see the Rule Against Perpetuities hadn't gone away (I say in jest). So I did the Barbri LL.M., Quick Start, 100% of the actual Barbri prep. I read the blue essay book, did 1450 adapti-bar questions, got the California lead sheets and read them over and over again and those flashcards were amazing (for me). My wall was covered in sticky notes.

Other than being really cold those 2 days all I know is that I am waiting like the rest of you. Interested to see and so glad to have it over, at least for now. While it was actually great learning again, the 5:30am - 10:30pm study days lacked some luster near the end.

Unlike most of you I have no community because I didn't go to law school here so it was interesting reading over this blog. I didn't miss the boat as it was leaving port but lets see whether it stays afloat during grading (come on May 11th).

Oh I must throw this in, while packing the day before and preparing to leave for Pasadena in the next hour a quick check of my fairly new Mac revealed a catastrophic hard drive failure!!!! I just about tossed in the towel but was able to get it fixed in time with a lot of luck and an additional amount of begging and pleading I had nothing else loaded on that computer and the repair guy told me examsoft was the culprit that crashed it. But....for the pleasure of the stress I got to pay examsoft $50 more and had to beg (theme for that day) to download the program again. I felt so bad for the people who's computers crashed during the exam. Anyway.....

Not to worry though, I have the fun task of studying for the MPRE which is next week. I am little burnt out on studying but need to press forward. I am beginning to think they won't ever finish my moral character check though.

OK, good luck...can't wait to see how everyone did.



Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: catechumen, chicoalto0649, FinallyPassedTheBar, Got'eem, takeonbarexam and 15 guests