2018 February CA Bar

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
jellybelly13

New
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:52 pm

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby jellybelly13 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:14 pm

a male human wrote:
jellybelly13 wrote:I had some setbacks and so I started today. Is it possible?

Of course! See if these sample study schedules seem doable to you (maybe check the 8-week or 6-week one): https://www.dropbox.com/s/vmkaorxv44y5z ... 2.pdf?dl=0



Thanks!...printing

Hi a quick one !. So I am applying for the bar --late application and I only see San Diego and Sacramento for laptop testing left...but you have to be a resident of either, which am not. Will I be forced to write? Thanks for any feedback.
Last edited by jellybelly13 on Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Snowflake1

New
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:12 pm

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby Snowflake1 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:23 pm

LastTimePls wrote:
mimim8 wrote:Is the premium baressays account worth it?


Hey mimim8!

To my understanding, the big difference between the two accounts is that a premium account will let you access model answers written by BarEssays. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong!)

Here's what they provided as their sample model answer to show what you're getting from a premium account: http://baressays.com/sample.aspx?t=Samp ... Answer.pdf

I do recall that I did end up getting the premium account. While I was preparing, I actually did not use the BarEssays model answers that much - instead opting to use the user submitted essays so that I could learn the gist of how to write above "65" scoring essays. Concurrently, I ended up finding a bar grader who assisted me in learning how to write the essay sections properly.

In short, I got the premium account, but did not use the touted features of said account. For me it was not worth the upgrade. You, however, may find that the BarEssays provided models might help you understand writing the essays better.

Cheers! :D


The BarEssays.com premium also provides access to essay templates which are pretty helpful.

bacillusanthracis

Bronze
Posts: 117
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:30 am

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby bacillusanthracis » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:44 pm

Feb2018Taker wrote:I know Dr. Saccuzzo is pretty good at his predictions, but does anyone think civ pro will be on Feb's exam again?


The Fed Civ Pro essay cobbled together relatively oddball shit. But it left wide open the other aspects they do traditionally test as well as Cal Civ Pro, so I wouldn't slack on jurisdictional issues in essay preparation.

As to Sacuzzo being a seer of bar exam essay topics--bah. It's really a matter of looking at the past one or two bar exams and knowing what areas they tend to test in each subject. For example, in July they tested Torts/negligence and California Community Property. It's a given they're not going to test those in February. They could do a torts-defamation in a crossover with some other subject because they've done that in the past and it was long enough ago so that it's worth knowing how to write an essay for defamation. But negligence per se and negligence is right out.

Then there was the remedies essay; it's a safe bet that neither SP or any other essay dealing primarily with remedies will make an appearance in February, but remedies can always be a feature of another area though.

And they tested Evidence.

Next, the question is what they didn't test and what hasn't been tested for awhile.

Conlaw, Contracts, Real Property, and Crimpro/Law weren't tested. Neither was Wills, but last February they really blew their wad on that subject. We haven't seen Trusts in awhile and could be part of a crossover.

There's going to be a WTF? type of essay, which seems to have become par for the course these days.

Oh, and PR; always PR.

So if we're into predictions, here's mine--and they're every bit as valuable as Sacuzzo's (i.e., not worth counting on):

Conlaw
Contracts w/ a Remedies interrogatory
Real Property
Crim Pro/Law
Trusts-PR crossover with super shitty interrogatories

And since Sacuzzo gets to do it, I'll throw in my wildcard too: California Civ Pro

Ta-dah!

It looks pretty good, but when you include 9 subject areas, knowing that at least two subjects will not be tested, it really isn't that hard to be at least 75% correct.

Also, can anyone recommend how to improve in MBE? I have seen an improvement since my summer session for sure, but I am open to any advice. I have been using Emanuel and Adaptibar.

Thanks!


Please see my post on page six about Adaptibar. I'm using it again, but only as a supplement. It's easy to not realize you're doing quantity over quality with that program.

onlyoncemore

New
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:47 pm

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby onlyoncemore » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:21 pm

rant/

Goddamn
I've been trying real hard to keep myself positive and upbeat about doing this crap a second time...
BUT FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK THIIIIIISS SHIIIIIIIT.
how the hell are my MBE's fluctuating from 45 to 78%s
why the fuck do i keep forgetting the easiest shit
what the fuck is my brain even doing

i'd rather jump into the icy waters and freeze to death than this right now.

/rant

on a side note: now Examsoft is called Examplify<?>. what the hell Bar examiners.
side note 2: i'm going to get myself an in-n-out hot chocolate. damn you bar exam.

User avatar
a male human

Gold
Posts: 2052
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby a male human » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:26 pm

That feeling of anxiety as you go down your MBEs to check answers and having to mark a bunch of them wrong and you hold your head in your hands wondering how you managed to stay alive this long and praying to Darwin to take you away to where you belong

User avatar
TheLegalOne

New
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:42 pm

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby TheLegalOne » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:34 am

onlyoncemore wrote:rant/

Goddamn
I've been trying real hard to keep myself positive and upbeat about doing this crap a second time...
BUT FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK THIIIIIISS SHIIIIIIIT.
how the hell are my MBE's fluctuating from 45 to 78%s
why the fuck do i keep forgetting the easiest shit
what the fuck is my brain even doing

i'd rather jump into the icy waters and freeze to death than this right now.

/rant

on a side note: now Examsoft is called Examplify<?>. what the hell Bar examiners.
side note 2: i'm going to get myself an in-n-out hot chocolate. damn you bar exam.


In-n-Out has hot chocolate?! I did not know that!!! But seriously, I have taken the CBX a few times now. I passed the July 2017 CBX and actually just finished my first week working as an Attorney at a law firm. Stay positive, but more importantly, stay focused. This is the time to get crap wrong. Trust that it is not the time to "memorize." Recognize what concepts are tripping you up and focus on those for about 15-30 minutes daily (on top of everything else) until you resolve it. Adaptibar helped me with this process. Best to you...Get 'er done!

supa_mitsu

New
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:27 pm

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby supa_mitsu » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:35 am

TheLegalOne wrote: Trust that it is not the time to "memorize"


What do you mean? Honestly interested in your approach.

rationaljd

New
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:01 am

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby rationaljd » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:58 pm

LastTimePls wrote:
mimim8 wrote:Is the premium baressays account worth it?


Hey mimim8!

To my understanding, the big difference between the two accounts is that a premium account will let you access model answers written by BarEssays. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong!)

Here's what they provided as their sample model answer to show what you're getting from a premium account: http://baressays.com/sample.aspx?t=Samp ... Answer.pdf

I do recall that I did end up getting the premium account. While I was preparing, I actually did not use the BarEssays model answers that much - instead opting to use the user submitted essays so that I could learn the gist of how to write above "65" scoring essays. Concurrently, I ended up finding a bar grader who assisted me in learning how to write the essay sections properly.

In short, I got the premium account, but did not use the touted features of said account. For me it was not worth the upgrade. You, however, may find that the BarEssays provided models might help you understand writing the essays better.

Cheers! :D


I second this. I don't find their model answers really model answer quality. Their rule statements are typically massive, and their analyses are cursory honestly. Sometimes they don't answer the question squarely and other times, they even mix up the parties or mis-apply the law. Model answers should show you how to really apply the law and analyze the issue; we don't need the model answers to learn the law. Frankly, if I had the time and energy I'd document everything and send it to baressays but I don't (and who cares). The selected answers released by the state bar are great for learning how to apply the law on certain issues you get confused about (I think someone else mentioned this too). Anyways, that's my two cents.

User avatar
TheLegalOne

New
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:42 pm

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby TheLegalOne » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:47 pm

supa_mitsu wrote:
TheLegalOne wrote: Trust that it is not the time to "memorize"


What do you mean? Honestly interested in your approach.


No problem. It is too early to "memorize." You can't keep it all in your head at this point. Now is the time to ascertain what you know you know - hands down, what you are comfortable with, and what you need to work on. Being able to put concepts into your own words, is important. If you only memorize, then you will always be inconsistent with MBEs because you will be looking for targeted points of rule and will not see the many ways a rule can be tested.

I would look for the many ways elements and also exceptions were tested in the MBEs and, therefore, exposed myself to more of the rule than I would if I had just memorized it. I did start memorizing 2-2.5 weeks before the exam, with the last week being nothing but posting rules on sticky flip chart stickies throughout my house and literally pacing in 1 hour chunks reciting the rules out loud - only looking at the walls if I got stuck.

I hope this helps.

SDChargers

New
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:37 pm

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby SDChargers » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:32 pm

I need some advice. I am a repeater, I didn't pass the July 2017 by a few points.

I tend to spend too much time on each subject when it comes to reviewing the material. I will either type out a full outline of the subject or handwrite it. Is this a waste of time? Should I instead read the entire subject first, then do practice instead of wasting time on outlining it out. I have my outlines from the first round, yet I tend to cling on the idea that I need to re-outline the entire topic to "learn" it.

I have 7 Subjects to "learn" and practice. Mt goal was to have all the learning finished by end of January and start doing just practice essays and MBEs entire month of February with days allocated for Simulation testing.

Another issue I am having is condensing a long rule, Is there an outline of just rules for each topic? I waste so much time between outlines and books trying to perfect a specific rule when I start practicing.

Also, when I start to do an essay, I feel like I stall or lag because the rules are not coming to me. I issue spot very well, then I use my outline or Barbri books to look over how the answer was written out or how the rule should be written.

Any advice, outlines, attack sheets, etc. are greatly appreciated!

Snowflake1

New
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:12 pm

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby Snowflake1 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:21 pm

rationaljd wrote:
LastTimePls wrote:
mimim8 wrote:Is the premium baressays account worth it?


Hey mimim8!

To my understanding, the big difference between the two accounts is that a premium account will let you access model answers written by BarEssays. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong!)

Here's what they provided as their sample model answer to show what you're getting from a premium account: http://baressays.com/sample.aspx?t=Samp ... Answer.pdf

I do recall that I did end up getting the premium account. While I was preparing, I actually did not use the BarEssays model answers that much - instead opting to use the user submitted essays so that I could learn the gist of how to write above "65" scoring essays. Concurrently, I ended up finding a bar grader who assisted me in learning how to write the essay sections properly.

In short, I got the premium account, but did not use the touted features of said account. For me it was not worth the upgrade. You, however, may find that the BarEssays provided models might help you understand writing the essays better.

Cheers! :D


I second this. I don't find their model answers really model answer quality. Their rule statements are typically massive, and their analyses are cursory honestly. Sometimes they don't answer the question squarely and other times, they even mix up the parties or mis-apply the law. Model answers should show you how to really apply the law and analyze the issue; we don't need the model answers to learn the law. Frankly, if I had the time and energy I'd document everything and send it to baressays but I don't (and who cares). The selected answers released by the state bar are great for learning how to apply the law on certain issues you get confused about (I think someone else mentioned this too). Anyways, that's my two cents.


I don't really pay attention to models (BarEssays.com or any others). Models aren't real. You can't tell from models which issues are possible to miss and still get a 65 or above. Or how to structure things within an hour. I look at the essays that scored 55, 65, 75 and compare those to my practice essays. I do use the BarEssays templates though for memorization, which I think are worth it.

User avatar
a male human

Gold
Posts: 2052
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby a male human » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:27 pm

SDChargers wrote:I need some advice. I am a repeater, I didn't pass the July 2017 by a few points.

I tend to spend too much time on each subject when it comes to reviewing the material. I will either type out a full outline of the subject or handwrite it. Is this a waste of time? Should I instead read the entire subject first, then do practice instead of wasting time on outlining it out. I have my outlines from the first round, yet I tend to cling on the idea that I need to re-outline the entire topic to "learn" it.

I have 7 Subjects to "learn" and practice. Mt goal was to have all the learning finished by end of January and start doing just practice essays and MBEs entire month of February with days allocated for Simulation testing.

Another issue I am having is condensing a long rule, Is there an outline of just rules for each topic? I waste so much time between outlines and books trying to perfect a specific rule when I start practicing.

Also, when I start to do an essay, I feel like I stall or lag because the rules are not coming to me. I issue spot very well, then I use my outline or Barbri books to look over how the answer was written out or how the rule should be written.

Any advice, outlines, attack sheets, etc. are greatly appreciated!

First of all, kudos for almost passing... You must have been doing something right last time.

Now that you have your outlines, I think you'll learn more by using them instead of reinventing the wheel. You made them already, so I wouldn't remake them. Spend a day or so reviewing a subject, then spend at least another day putting your outlines to use.

And here's the important part... review your work against answer explanations (MBE), model answers (essays, PTs). What did you do wrong? What did you do right? That's where the learning happens -- not when you're looking at outlines, not even when you're doing the problem. But when you internalize feedback from your work.

As for condensing a long rule, I'm curious, is there a reason to do that? It's not the specific wording as much as conveying your understanding of the concept. If you describe the elements of a rule, that should be sufficient... Everyone has different ways to write it. That said, since most people use Barbri, I'd personally try to mimic their rules to keep it simple. But it doesn't really matter.

Or are you looking for condensed outlines? Something like these?
[+] Spoiler
Outline: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1nye4uxisxu6b ... e.pdf?dl=0
Essay attack: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8o0351agv5exv ... e.pdf?dl=0


It's fine to not remember the rules right now. The more you USE them, the more you'll remember and the more you'll know how to apply them to the facts. Another reason to jump in and do the problems and keep getting better.

YuckNotTheBar

New
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:17 am

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby YuckNotTheBar » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:02 am

Is anyone other than me dreading the prospect of a Con Law essay question? Unlike other subjects, Con Law is such a sprawling beast. There was a question almost entirely about TAKINGS (!?!?) a few years back. It just seems hard to prepare for.

Of course, it's a topic the Bar Secrets guy is predicting. (for whatever that's worth)

LockBox

Bronze
Posts: 474
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:05 pm

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby LockBox » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:31 pm

Public service announcement: if you're not testing yourself already, start immediately. Otherwise, predict that you will not pass the exam in February. Do what's hard (i.e. taking exams and grading yourself) not what's easy (reading outlines, even mindlessly running through MBE's).

rayforoc

New
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 9:36 pm

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby rayforoc » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:55 pm

LockBox wrote:Public service announcement: if you're not testing yourself already, start immediately. Otherwise, predict that you will not pass the exam in February. Do what's hard (i.e. taking exams and grading yourself) not what's easy (reading outlines, even mindlessly running through MBE's).


Thanks LockBox. When you state “taking exams and grading yourself,“ do you mean full sets of MBE’s? If so how many at once? 35, 50, 100? Are you referring to writing out full essays? If so, how many one, two, three back to back?

LockBox

Bronze
Posts: 474
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:05 pm

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby LockBox » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:50 pm

rayforoc wrote:
LockBox wrote:Public service announcement: if you're not testing yourself already, start immediately. Otherwise, predict that you will not pass the exam in February. Do what's hard (i.e. taking exams and grading yourself) not what's easy (reading outlines, even mindlessly running through MBE's).


Thanks LockBox. When you state “taking exams and grading yourself,“ do you mean full sets of MBE’s? If so how many at once? 35, 50, 100? Are you referring to writing out full essays? If so, how many one, two, three back to back?


My approach to a retake was to focus on my weaknesses while maintaining my strengths. What i've taken away from my experience with the bar is this - I needed to think for myself in order to solve this problem.

I don't mean for this to come off condescending. Obviously, you (like I) have made it through undergrad and law school and there was a fair bit of thinking in there. I guess if anything, I had to think creatively to get over the hump - I wasn't as unfortunate as my colleagues who passed the first time. Yes, unfortunate, because I really took something away from having to go at the exam again and figure it out.

So, what are you weak on? If it's the MBE's, my philosophy was to do no less than 50/day. I wrote down my percentage correct EACH DAY and recorded it up to exam time. It waivered between 60-70% landing around 70 right before game day. I had passed the MBE portion on my first take, however.

For me, the essays were where I came up short. I didn't want to write. I "knew" the info in the outlines and figured I could "wing it." Upon retake, I didn't leave anything to chance. I hired a tutor solely to grade my essays, and I wrote no less than 2 essays per day. Overall I wrote almost 70 essays out fully, submitting over 20 for grading, and I outlined maybe another 40.

Nevertheless, I believe my true shortcoming was not testing myself enough or early enough. Some will just "know" the law and wing it and pass. But if you're in retaker land, my advice to you is to test yourself. If you're doing what's comfortable now, you'll be back on this forum preparing for the November administration...

edit: PT's were a strong suit so I did exactly 0 of them and i'm sure I passed. ymmv.

User avatar
a male human

Gold
Posts: 2052
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby a male human » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:02 pm

LockBox wrote:
rayforoc wrote:
LockBox wrote:Public service announcement: if you're not testing yourself already, start immediately. Otherwise, predict that you will not pass the exam in February. Do what's hard (i.e. taking exams and grading yourself) not what's easy (reading outlines, even mindlessly running through MBE's).


Thanks LockBox. When you state “taking exams and grading yourself,“ do you mean full sets of MBE’s? If so how many at once? 35, 50, 100? Are you referring to writing out full essays? If so, how many one, two, three back to back?


My approach to a retake was to focus on my weaknesses while maintaining my strengths. What i've taken away from my experience with the bar is this - I needed to think for myself in order to solve this problem.

I don't mean for this to come off condescending. Obviously, you (like I) have made it through undergrad and law school and there was a fair bit of thinking in there. I guess if anything, I had to think creatively to get over the hump - I wasn't as unfortunate as my colleagues who passed the first time. Yes, unfortunate, because I really took something away from having to go at the exam again and figure it out.

So, what are you weak on? If it's the MBE's, my philosophy was to do no less than 50/day. I wrote down my percentage correct EACH DAY and recorded it up to exam time. It waivered between 60-70% landing around 70 right before game day. I had passed the MBE portion on my first take, however.

For me, the essays were where I came up short. I didn't want to write. I "knew" the info in the outlines and figured I could "wing it." Upon retake, I didn't leave anything to chance. I hired a tutor solely to grade my essays, and I wrote no less than 2 essays per day. Overall I wrote almost 70 essays out fully, submitting over 20 for grading, and I outlined maybe another 40.

Nevertheless, I believe my true shortcoming was not testing myself enough or early enough. Some will just "know" the law and wing it and pass. But if you're in retaker land, my advice to you is to test yourself. If you're doing what's comfortable now, you'll be back on this forum preparing for the November administration...

edit: PT's were a strong suit so I did exactly 0 of them and i'm sure I passed. ymmv.


I had the same experience with the bolded. I could write perfect rule statements, but not really answer the essay (highest score on first try was 65). I wasted my days with lectures and outlines and I was too exhausted to do anything else that was actually important. Turned out I couldn't just wing it because I don't really have a legal aptitude. So I had to test things and figure out what helped me get better and what didn't work for me.

The big box approach may work for many but not everyone. There are actually many people who regret taking Barbri (which they don't really talk about in public). It's about figuring out (or adopting) a framework that works for you.

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze
Posts: 451
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:27 am

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby FinallyPassedTheBar » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:34 pm

Every study approach is gonna be YMMV.

For me, I recognized (and accepted) that a 60 essay score was my ceiling. No matter what I did, I would score in that range. Perhaps if I studied more I could average 65 score...but it was a crap shoot IMHO. I ended up just writing 3 essays, and outlining 3. The rest of my essay prep was memorizing rule statements from Bar Essay's essay templates.

The majority of my bar review focused on the MBE with a personal goal of reaching 80% correct. I have no doubt that my MBE score is what allowed me to pass. It made up for my lower essay scores.

jellybelly13

New
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:52 pm

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby jellybelly13 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:54 pm

LockBox wrote:
InterAlia1961 wrote:I passed this time around and wanted to share a little of what I did differently. This was my fourth attempt. This time, I didn't buy a bar review course. I used Adaptibar, the old books I had from Kaplan and Barbri, and a Civ Pro outline I purchased on Amazon. Then, I practiced, every day. I did 50 MBE questions one day. The next I did three essays. The next I did 50 MBE questions. The next I did one essay and one PT. I didn't deviate from my schedule, ever. I took Sundays completely off.

I wrote a rule statement for every MBE I did, even when I got them correct. I limited myself to one hour on each essay. When I checked the essay answers, I wrote out the rule statements, by hand and then re-wrote the essay correctly. I did this with the PTs as well. I did every PT on the NCBE's site (http://www.ncbex.org/study-aids/, scroll down for links), every essay on the Cal Bar Site as well as the older essays I found here: http://juraxbar.com/past-bar-exams/.

I used my outlines to help me with the essays, but I didn't do a deep dive into black letter law.

Also, I stopped using an outline format on my essays. One number for each call of the question, then underlining only...no more Roman numerals or formatting the essay like it's an outline. There's a cut rate bar review course out there that recommends a complete Roman numeral outline all the way through. Don't do it. None of the passing essays on the Cal Bar site use that system. You're writing an essay, not an outline.

I practiced under timed conditions, always. Time management is important on this beast. You have to commit to one-hour per essay and 90-minutes for the PT. I know many people who came up unsuccessful because they ran out of time, mostly on the PT.

The last practice MBE I took before the real test, I scored 68%. By practicing every day, I learned to slow down and lawyer my way through the questions, even the scary ones that I had no idea what the answer was on the

I had a coach, as well. If anyone would like the link to her website, pm me. She called me often, kept me from feeling sorry for myself, and encouraged me to focus. Instead of talking me down when I was out on the proverbial ledge, she threatened to push me off it! She helped me to keep family issues at arm's length while I studied for this beast. It helped to have someone who wasn't emotionally vested in the outcome coach me and keep me centered. She has a military background and is a bit of a drill sergeant, apparently just what I needed.

Keep at it, people. You can do this. Focus, don't be pulled off your appointed task by feelings of inadequacy.


Beyond happy to see you write this post. Congrats[/

How many weeks did you study for?

Feb2018Taker

New
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:56 pm

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby Feb2018Taker » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:39 pm

Has anyone heard of Bar None Review/ Bar Exam Guru/ Lisa Duncanson?

When results came out in November she was offering to give a score interpretation and asked that I send her a copy of my score sheet. Since then, I have not heard back from anyone at her company- neither by phone nor email. I just tried calling again and there are no working numbers!! :x

Anyone know anything about this? I'm a bit concerned since they have my name and address...

InterAlia1961

Bronze
Posts: 246
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:32 pm

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby InterAlia1961 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:33 pm

jellybelly13 wrote:Beyond happy to see you write this post. Congrats[/

How many weeks did you study for?


I studied for months. Literally.

LawIQ45

New
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:05 pm

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby LawIQ45 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:54 am

Feb2018Taker wrote:Has anyone heard of Bar None Review/ Bar Exam Guru/ Lisa Duncanson?

When results came out in November she was offering to give a score interpretation and asked that I send her a copy of my score sheet. Since then, I have not heard back from anyone at her company- neither by phone nor email. I just tried calling again and there are no working numbers!! :x

Anyone know anything about this? I'm a bit concerned since they have my name and address...


I took her cram session and that’s about all I know about her.... I was not impressed with her at all. Her predictions were wrong I think and her rule statements were lackluster.

needbreak

New
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:48 pm

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby needbreak » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:48 am

rationaljd wrote:
LastTimePls wrote:
mimim8 wrote:Is the premium baressays account worth it?


Hey mimim8!

To my understanding, the big difference between the two accounts is that a premium account will let you access model answers written by BarEssays. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong!)

Here's what they provided as their sample model answer to show what you're getting from a premium account: http://baressays.com/sample.aspx?t=Samp ... Answer.pdf

I do recall that I did end up getting the premium account. While I was preparing, I actually did not use the BarEssays model answers that much - instead opting to use the user submitted essays so that I could learn the gist of how to write above "65" scoring essays. Concurrently, I ended up finding a bar grader who assisted me in learning how to write the essay sections properly.

In short, I got the premium account, but did not use the touted features of said account. For me it was not worth the upgrade. You, however, may find that the BarEssays provided models might help you understand writing the essays better.

Cheers! :D


I second this. I don't find their model answers really model answer quality. Their rule statements are typically massive, and their analyses are cursory honestly. Sometimes they don't answer the question squarely and other times, they even mix up the parties or mis-apply the law. Model answers should show you how to really apply the law and analyze the issue; we don't need the model answers to learn the law. Frankly, if I had the time and energy I'd document everything and send it to baressays but I don't (and who cares). The selected answers released by the state bar are great for learning how to apply the law on certain issues you get confused about (I think someone else mentioned this too). Anyways, that's my two cents.


This is a bit off topic. But, which ever BarEssays version you go with, I'm sure it will be better than just the two selected answers from the state bar. It seems to me that the bar selects answers that are super confusing. Yes, they include good analysis. But they also lump the issue, rule, and analysis into huge paragraphs. To the contrary, the Baressays tend to have more heading and are more to the point. Also, I can more or less estimate a grade.

With this said, I tend to go back and forth between the selected answers and Baressays.

onlyoncemore

New
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:47 pm

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby onlyoncemore » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:39 pm

Took and graded the Emmanuel's Practice MBE yesterday... 128/200 = 64%... best and worst subjects all flip ggoddddddddmmmnnn iiiiitttt. someone throw me a lifeline ... on the upside, my essays seem on par with the 65/70s. at least i've got that... woo fucking whoo.


side note: about the baressays.com
I think the premium membership is really your call. if you think the outlines/templates they give you are worth it, go for it. Personally I had access to the the templates/model essays and didn't make use of them. Templates didn't seem to stick with me, but going through all the essays myself and picking them apart did so I stuck with that. And I feel like the top/pass scoring essays gave me a more realistic picture of what to do so I went with those instead of the model essays.

User avatar
a male human

Gold
Posts: 2052
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Postby a male human » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:43 pm

onlyoncemore wrote:Took and graded the Emmanuel's Practice MBE yesterday... 128/200 = 64%... best and worst subjects all flip ggoddddddddmmmnnn iiiiitttt. someone throw me a lifeline ... on the upside, my essays seem on par with the 65/70s. at least i've got that... woo fucking whoo.


side note: about the baressays.com
I think the premium membership is really your call. if you think the outlines/templates they give you are worth it, go for it. Personally I had access to the the templates/model essays and didn't make use of them. Templates didn't seem to stick with me, but going through all the essays myself and picking them apart did so I stuck with that. And I feel like the top/pass scoring essays gave me a more realistic picture of what to do so I went with those instead of the model essays.

64% seems pretty good to me at this stage! Now's your chance to study those explanations -- enough that you'll get them all correct when you redo them.

Plus, if you're getting 65-70 on essays, I feel like you're actually already on track to pass the whole thing, even if you took it within 1-2 weeks.



Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests