2018 February CA Bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
LockBox

Bronze

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Post by LockBox » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:38 pm

bacillusanthracis wrote:
Pema wrote:I've been looking at July 2017 PT answers. The memo asked for a persuasive letter. The responses are so varied its really amazing. I would think a letter looks like a letter regardless of content, no? About half the responses had huge bold wordy headings you would never see in a letter. The other half of responses were narratives with minimal headings (typical of a letter), and they scored higher. Why the disparity? Why the big headings in a letter? Is this unique to the Bar?
I thought the directions were pretty poor, but aside from that, who really knows what they wanted/want?

It's incredibly subjective and can vary greatly from grader to grader.

Due to bombing the MBE, my written didn't really matter. But at least two of my classmates failed by 5 points or less. Both, got into re-read, and if they'd been graded by that second person who graded just one of their essays, they would've passed.

One grader may want big headings and downgrade/not give points to someone who doesn't include those headings. The next grader may not care at all as long as its well organized and contains all the right stuff.

So... I guess I have nothing helpful to offer.
Here is my take - the proof is in the pudding. Look at the passing answers on baressays - do they always have headings? No. One of my professors was a bar grader and his take was this - a bar grader will look at an essay and within seconds generally know if its a passing answer or not. Now, they'd still read it but it was just a glimpse and a gut reaction. This has nothing to do with headings. Headings CAN help - but just because you use a heading doesn't mean the content is sound.

So, my focus would be on short simple headings that you outline the answer with prior to even writing. Then, focus all of your efforts on the content - identifying the right issues, drafting a robust rule statement and tying it all together with your analysis. Write in a lawerly way. Don't worry about comestic underlining, bolding and use of headings. Focus on content.

SDChargers

New

Post by SDChargers » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:45 pm

Is Anyone taking FLEMINGS BAR PREP Course? I heard his predictions are always spot on, I'd love to get an idea of what he predicted for the february 2018 CA BAR.

LawIQ45

New

Post by LawIQ45 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:04 am

SDChargers wrote:Is Anyone taking FLEMINGS BAR PREP Course? I heard his predictions are always spot on, I'd love to get an idea of what he predicted for the february 2018 CA BAR.

What did he predict. I took and passed the July 2017 bar so I have some insight

rayforoc

New

Post by rayforoc » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:44 pm

SDChargers wrote:Is Anyone taking FLEMINGS BAR PREP Course? I heard his predictions are always spot on, I'd love to get an idea of what he predicted for the february 2018 CA BAR.
    I second this, if anyone has any knowledge re these particular predictions please share...

bacillusanthracis

Bronze

Post by bacillusanthracis » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:07 pm

rayforoc wrote:
    I second this, if anyone has any knowledge re these particular predictions please share...
    You can probably predict pretty well what's going to be on this bar exam. While nothing's for certain, it's highly unlikely that equitable remedies, community property, fed civ pro, fed evidence, and torts won't be on it.

Still, this has been a harder exam to prepare for than July because in July they weren't going to test business associations and wills again (but trusts was a legit possibility). They weren't going to test crim twice in a row.

But if anyone wants to know what Saccuzo predicted, (and I don't think he's all that much of a bar exam Nostradamus anyway). But he predicts:

1. Wills/Trusts
    2. Remedies (contract remedies)
    3. PR coupled with Business Associations
    4. Conlaw
    5. California Evidence

His "wild card" is property.

It's easy to get sucked into focusing on those last-minute, but if you think about it, it isn't that hard to predict when you can choose 7 subjects and you're certain that 4-5 others won't be the test.

I tend to think contracts will be tested, likely with remedies as the final part of the essay, but they did a full blown remedies essay in July, although that was equitable stuff. The rest of his predictions are well, highly predictable, except for Cal Evidence. If he really wanted to go out on limb he'd predict agency.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

malki_a

New

Post by malki_a » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:03 pm

Hi Everyone,

I am a practicing lawyer in Toronto, Canada for 3 years and I am looking to do the California Bar Exam in July this year. I just found out that there is no specific study material provided by the Admissions Committee like they did here. So I am so overwhelmed with all the study recommendations I read here. I have no idea about substantive law in California, so I would like to first learn it before I jump into any summary outlines. I have read some past exams online and they seem helpful, but I feel lost without knowing a comprehensive summary of what I am to know.

Any recommendations as to where I should start? I am working here full-time so some material with a detailed summary of the topics would be useful. Thank You in advance ! Any guidance is appreciated.

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:26 pm

malki_a wrote:Hi Everyone,

I am a practicing lawyer in Toronto, Canada for 3 years and I am looking to do the California Bar Exam in July this year. I just found out that there is no specific study material provided by the Admissions Committee like they did here. So I am so overwhelmed with all the study recommendations I read here. I have no idea about substantive law in California, so I would like to first learn it before I jump into any summary outlines. I have read some past exams online and they seem helpful, but I feel lost without knowing a comprehensive summary of what I am to know.

Any recommendations as to where I should start? I am working here full-time so some material with a detailed summary of the topics would be useful. Thank You in advance ! Any guidance is appreciated.
    Hey Malki,

I think a great starting point is a Barbri outline called the Conviser Mini Review (CMR). It includes enough details to get a good sense of the law that may be tested without going into too much detail (the full Barbri course also comes with a bigger outline for extra details should you need to dive deeper).

I'd suggest getting used copies of at least the CMR and the essay workbook (has model answers to select essays for each subject). If you can find them, also get the MBE workbook and the PT workbook.

If you're completely starting from zero, you may want to just sign up for a course with the lectures, especially if you learn better via audio. However, I generally recommend against taking lectures (and simply trying to memorize outlines for that matter).

What matter are the following:
    - Being able to RECALL the relevant rules (which requires some degree of memorizing and understanding)
    - Practicing to put those rules to use
    - Getting FEEDBACK on your work (evaluation using model/sample answers)

To help you with these, check my list of resources on the first page for invaluable "best bang for your buck" resources for essays (such as BarEssays) and MBE (Strategies & Tactics and/or AdaptiBar).

What's your range of budget you're willing to spend? We can better tailor recommendations based on that and what you're looking to focus on.

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:46 pm

As the exam gets closer, just remember that you are capable. You may pass this time, or you may not (let's be honest and expect the ~40% pass rate so that you can do your best anyway). But if you can graduate law school, you have it in you to pass.

Even if you fail the bar, it's not going anywhere. It's going to stay in the same spot, while you keep getting closer and closer like a predator moving in on a prey. Therefore, passing is inevitable.

I wrote some encouraging words a couple weeks ago that I thought were fluffy and not that substantive, but people actually liked this one (should have shared earlier)... https://us8.campaign-archive.com/?u=284 ... 562c6afea8

I guess sometimes you just want a cheerleader on your side. Hope it makes some of you feel better. This will be over by this time next week. On the upside, it won't be as bad as the 3 months of waiting in anxiety and ennui you'll have to go through. You can worry about that later :)

LockBox

Bronze

Post by LockBox » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:26 pm

a male human wrote:As the exam gets closer, just remember that you are capable. You may pass this time, or you may not (let's be honest and expect the ~40% pass rate so that you can do your best anyway). But if you can graduate law school, you have it in you to pass.

Even if you fail the bar, it's not going anywhere. It's going to stay in the same spot, while you keep getting closer and closer like a predator moving in on a prey. Therefore, passing is inevitable.

I wrote some encouraging words a couple weeks ago that I thought were fluffy and not that substantive, but people actually liked this one (should have shared earlier)... https://us8.campaign-archive.com/?u=284 ... 562c6afea8

I guess sometimes you just want a cheerleader on your side. Hope it makes some of you feel better. This will be over by this time next week. On the upside, it won't be as bad as the 3 months of waiting in anxiety and ennui you'll have to go through. You can worry about that later :)
    All great info, as usual, a male human. I also wanted to chime in and wish everyone the best. It was a very difficult time for me, when I failed, but the odd thing is I feel more empowered by it now. Having to regroup, figure it out and tackle the exam is something i'm proud of, in retrospect.

Good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:37 pm

LockBox wrote:
    a male human wrote:As the exam gets closer, just remember that you are capable. You may pass this time, or you may not (let's be honest and expect the ~40% pass rate so that you can do your best anyway). But if you can graduate law school, you have it in you to pass.

All great info, as usual, a male human. I also wanted to chime in and wish everyone the best. It was a very difficult time for me, when I failed, but the odd thing is I feel more empowered by it now. Having to regroup, figure it out and tackle the exam is something i'm proud of, in retrospect.

Good luck.
    Thanks LockBox, I feel the same. I was the one ranting like a weirdo back when I failed. Being able to bounce ideas and refine my approach here with fellow repeaters meant a lot to me. Having a supportive community helpful (even more helpful when you're engaged in it). Do your best, everyone!

bacillusanthracis

Bronze

Post by bacillusanthracis » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:35 pm

I don't know.

I felt way more confident last time. But that obviously didn't work out so well. I definitely felt better prepared for the essays last time, and for the most part, my essay scores were okay. But I'm really struggling with them now. I've written many, done well on few. Or it may be I'm way more critical of myself than I was last time. I hope that's the case.

On the other hand, I feel much better about the MBE... well, I felt good about it last time too, but this time I think I feel okay about it with good reason. I'm in the mid-70s in the Barbri book and a deceptive mid-80s on Adaptibar. I say deceptive because the questions that program has are definitely among the easier types. But still, my entire approach has changed, is more organized, and just better all the way around.

And I finally got back to where I needed to be for the PTs. After so much stressing out, I figured screw it, just get one issue done really well and let the chips fall where they may. As soon as I did that, I started finishing them completely and hitting most, if not all the issues and analysis (properly).

So that's something to think about: don't press. Even if it feels like you're taking too long, it's better to have most of it done right, than all of it done poor or mediocre. I think that applies to every section of the test.

The only specific advice I'll give to anyone on anything: on the MBE, if it's a Conlaw question, and you're unsure of the answer, and one of the answers says Commerce Clause: go with the Commerce Clause answer. I've mini-tracked this. It's right almost every time.

malki_a

New

Post by malki_a » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:27 pm

a male human wrote:

Hey Malki,

I think a great starting point is a Barbri outline called the Conviser Mini Review (CMR). It includes enough details to get a good sense of the law that may be tested without going into too much detail (the full Barbri course also comes with a bigger outline for extra details should you need to dive deeper).

I'd suggest getting used copies of at least the CMR and the essay workbook (has model answers to select essays for each subject). If you can find them, also get the MBE workbook and the PT workbook.

If you're completely starting from zero, you may want to just sign up for a course with the lectures, especially if you learn better via audio. However, I generally recommend against taking lectures (and simply trying to memorize outlines for that matter).

- Being able to RECALL the relevant rules (which requires some degree of memorizing and understanding)

To help you with these, check my list of resources on the first page for invaluable "best bang for your buck" resources for essays (such as BarEssays) and MBE (Strategies & Tactics and/or AdaptiBar).

What's your range of budget you're willing to spend? We can better tailor recommendations based on that and what you're looking to focus on.

Thank You so much! I am more of a reading, learning, and writing my notes sort of person. So I think the Barbri books you mentioned would be helpful. I am not so good with audio learning, so I wouldn't really think a course would be much of a help. The law and concepts seem very similar to those here with a bit of different terminology, so it won't really be starting from zero I think. I am thinking of spending $500.00 - $600.00 on study material if it seems reasonable. I found some used Barbri books sets from 2015/2016 on Ebay. ANy other recommendations? the set included all books including Essay,MBE , and PT books.

Thanks so much for taking the time to assist :)

LockBox

Bronze

Post by LockBox » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:33 pm

bacillusanthracis wrote:I don't know.

I felt way more confident last time. But that obviously didn't work out so well. I definitely felt better prepared for the essays last time, and for the most part, my essay scores were okay. But I'm really struggling with them now. I've written many, done well on few. Or it may be I'm way more critical of myself than I was last time. I hope that's the case.

On the other hand, I feel much better about the MBE... well, I felt good about it last time too, but this time I think I feel okay about it with good reason. I'm in the mid-70s in the Barbri book and a deceptive mid-80s on Adaptibar. I say deceptive because the questions that program has are definitely among the easier types. But still, my entire approach has changed, is more organized, and just better all the way around.

And I finally got back to where I needed to be for the PTs. After so much stressing out, I figured screw it, just get one issue done really well and let the chips fall where they may. As soon as I did that, I started finishing them completely and hitting most, if not all the issues and analysis (properly).

So that's something to think about: don't press. Even if it feels like you're taking too long, it's better to have most of it done right, than all of it done poor or mediocre. I think that applies to every section of the test.

The only specific advice I'll give to anyone on anything: on the MBE, if it's a Conlaw question, and you're unsure of the answer, and one of the answers says Commerce Clause: go with the Commerce Clause answer. I've mini-tracked this. It's right almost every time.
    On the topic of feeling more confident last time - doesn't this make sense? It's not just failing, but having concrete feedback vis a vis the last bar exam. The struggle is good - there are only a handful of people that breeze through this process. So, my thinking was always try to tackle each problem as a lawyer would. You don't have to know the exact rule for everything - just question everything that you think has merit and you'll be good.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

HND

New

Post by HND » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:56 pm

bacillusanthracis wrote:I don't know.

I feel you on the essays. Last time was not a good time for me...I was so sick the second day that I barely made it through the mbe. I won't blame that on my score tho...i wasn't where I needed to be going in to begin with.

I didnt feel confident about essays but I did pass every one, however the PT....let me tell you lol ...I definitely practiced those this time around mainly to work on timing and getting started even if I am a bit confused at first. I feel I have improved on Pts for this time around but somehow on Essays I am struggling this time as well. NOT TO MENTION still SHITTY AF on MBES. some days Im doing 75% other days 54%...I dont understand :cry:

Got'eem

New

Post by Got'eem » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:59 pm

Here’s hoping examsoft doesn’t crash on me in the middle of the PT again.

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:10 pm

malki_a wrote:
    a male human wrote:

Hey Malki,

Thank You so much! I am more of a reading, learning, and writing my notes sort of person. So I think the Barbri books you mentioned would be helpful. I am not so good with audio learning, so I wouldn't really think a course would be much of a help. The law and concepts seem very similar to those here with a bit of different terminology, so it won't really be starting from zero I think. I am thinking of spending $500.00 - $600.00 on study material if it seems reasonable. I found some used Barbri books sets from 2015/2016 on Ebay. ANy other recommendations? the set included all books including Essay,MBE , and PT books.

Thanks so much for taking the time to assist :)
    Great! Those books should be good if you're a reading and writing type. 2015-16 material should have updated federal Civ Pro rules.

As mentioned earlier, you can check out my big post on the first page for additional recommendations, and see if anything catches your eye. There's no rush because the beauty of supplements is that you can always add them on a la carte when you need them.

Based on your budget, I'd specifically recommend the ones corresponding to the "Bootstraps" or "Super" budget here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mhlhn8mx85tez ... t.pdf?dl=0 (the difference is whether you get AdaptiBar or not)

bacillusanthracis

Bronze

Post by bacillusanthracis » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:22 pm

LockBox wrote: You don't have to know the exact rule for everything - just question everything that you think has merit and you'll be good.
    I've heard this so many times, but man...

I got a 55 on my community property essay and I know why. I jacked up a rule, which ruined one section. I got the rule backward, which was stupid because I knew better; maybe it was opening-essay jitters. But the rest was completely right on. That one fuck up gave me a 55.

But whatever. If overall I do the same on the essays and PT this time, and if I score on the MBE like I'm scoring in practice, I'll be okay. :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

missionassociation

New

Post by missionassociation » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:05 am

"The only specific advice I'll give to anyone on anything: on the MBE, if it's a Conlaw question, and you're unsure of the answer, and one of the answers says Commerce Clause: go with the Commerce Clause answer. I've mini-tracked this. It's right almost every time."

I have to say I agree with this 100%! In the face on uncertainty, Commerce Clause usually prevails (I am prepping with Emmanuel and BarMax for the record).

bacillusanthracis

Bronze

Post by bacillusanthracis » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:29 pm

missionassociation wrote:"The only specific advice I'll give to anyone on anything: on the MBE, if it's a Conlaw question, and you're unsure of the answer, and one of the answers says Commerce Clause: go with the Commerce Clause answer. I've mini-tracked this. It's right almost every time."

I have to say I agree with this 100%! In the face on uncertainty, Commerce Clause usually prevails (I am prepping with Emmanuel and BarMax for the record).
    I'm doing Barbri, so there must be something to it... Right?

Naturally though, the day after I wrote that, I came across a question where the answer choice was between the Commerce Clause and the Property Clause, but there wasn't much doubt it was the Property Clause, so I chose that; and it was the right answer. I don't expect to see too many softballs like that on the MBE though.

love4vinolaw

New

Post by love4vinolaw » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:28 pm

Hi All,

I am new to this today -- I wish I would have found ya'll a long time ago. Such fantastic information.
    I missed passing the July 17 bar by 9.65 points, because of MBE's -- My essays were all very high, and had the grading not changed to 50/50... I would be in. OK... off my pitty party, no use dwelling in the past.

I am having a minor freak out, and I'm hoping someone can help me with a link to a chart/list/something, that outlines the difference between the CA and the ABA model rules for Prof Resp.? I have been going through my notes, etc. and for some reason, this is the topic that is now slipping out of my brain for the essays. -- That of course doesn't break any copyright laws

Further, if anyone knows of a good you tube video or other online lecture / pod cast -- (Cheap or Free would be preferred) that hits all the good points on this topic, please send a link my way. I have a couple hours of driving tomorrow on my way to Sac, and I would love to have something to put on in the car.

And if non on Prof. Resp. Any other suggestions for on line listening for my drive would also be appreciated!

Cheers

Feb2018Taker

New

Re: 2018 February CA Bar SOS

Post by Feb2018Taker » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:33 pm

So I just realized I've been putting off this Mac OS 10.13.3 Supplemental Update for the last couple weeks (I think :roll: )

I'm a little scared to update it before the exam....has anyone done this?

Thoughts?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Feb2018Taker

New

Post by Feb2018Taker » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:37 pm

love4vinolaw wrote:Hi All,

I am new to this today -- I wish I would have found ya'll a long time ago. Such fantastic information.
    I missed passing the July 17 bar by 9.65 points, because of MBE's -- My essays were all very high, and had the grading not changed to 50/50... I would be in. OK... off my pitty party, no use dwelling in the past.

I am having a minor freak out, and I'm hoping someone can help me with a link to a chart/list/something, that outlines the difference between the CA and the ABA model rules for Prof Resp.? I have been going through my notes, etc. and for some reason, this is the topic that is now slipping out of my brain for the essays. -- That of course doesn't break any copyright laws

Further, if anyone knows of a good you tube video or other online lecture / pod cast -- (Cheap or Free would be preferred) that hits all the good points on this topic, please send a link my way. I have a couple hours of driving tomorrow on my way to Sac, and I would love to have something to put on in the car.

And if non on Prof. Resp. Any other suggestions for on line listening for my drive would also be appreciated!

Cheers

I have a pretty good outline I found online...I'm just not sure how to send it to you! I'll try to add you as a friend on here and see if it'll let me attach a doc

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:45 pm

love4vinolaw wrote:Hi All,

Cheers
    I got you fam
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/yk4vk2swngi06 ... A.pdf?dl=0

love4vinolaw

New

Post by love4vinolaw » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:59 pm

@ male human

a million and one thank yous.

For everyone else, I feel like I should contribute to the group in return.

I don't know how many of you used the Bar Exams scope on their website http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Admissions/Exa ... xamination as a study aid for the Wills portion, but I made a very brief outline by each of the codes they reference. If anyone would find it useful, I am happy to include a link to share it.

Pema

New

Post by Pema » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:52 pm

missionassociation wrote:"The only specific advice I'll give to anyone on anything: on the MBE, if it's a Conlaw question, and you're unsure of the answer, and one of the answers says Commerce Clause: go with the Commerce Clause answer. I've mini-tracked this. It's right almost every time."

Except when it isn't on Adaptibar. 2 words: Poultry virus.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
    Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”