2018 February CA Bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Snowflake1

New

Re: 2018 February CA Bar

Post by Snowflake1 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:29 am

Pema wrote:If an essay Q states a valid contract exists, or valid will or trust exists, do you skip formation and go right to answering the call of the question?
Which specific question are you looking at?

Call2222222

New

Post by Call2222222 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:04 pm

a male human wrote:
Pema wrote:If an essay Q states a valid contract exists, or valid will or trust exists, do you skip formation and go right to answering the call of the question?
If there is a valid K in the fact pattern then you are not going to get much of anything by doing a full analysis. Do it super quick in 2-3 sentences. Rule- Offer, acceptance, consideration. Analysis- Facts state valid K. Therefore valid K. Move on and get the real points

onlythreemonths

New

Post by onlythreemonths » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:08 pm

I'm starting to freak out about not being able to commit enough to memory to get at least a 65 on the essays. Anyone willing to share memorization tips?

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:14 pm

1. Keep using the rules in the context of problems; you'll learn which rules are important and also how to use them, not just "know" a mass of rules
2. Understand the concept so that you can recite it as you understand it
3. Rote memorizing is always an option for many rules
4. Shock yourself with silly mnemonics or other memory devices
5. Summarize

Also, you're not going to get a 65 just because you know the rules. That's just one minimum requirement. If I were you, I'd also focus on being able to get the right issues and to parse them out, since that's where everything starts.

u_wot_m8

New

Post by u_wot_m8 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:49 pm

Does anyone know: is your 'File Number' the same as your 'Bar Number'?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:01 pm

This exact same thing happened to me on a previous exam. I did not write anything about K formation. I received a 55 on that essay. When I checked Baressays, another person did write about K formation. That essay received a 75. So I would at least briefly cover K formation even if the questions says there is a valid K.

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:05 pm

6TimeFailure wrote:

This exact same thing happened to me on a previous exam. I did not write anything about K formation. I received a 55 on that essay. When I checked Baressays, another person did write about K formation. That essay received a 75. So I would at least briefly cover K formation even if the questions says there is a valid K.
Neat, thanks for the specific example

onlythreemonths

New

Post by onlythreemonths » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:14 pm

a male human wrote:1. Keep using the rules in the context of problems; you'll learn which rules are important and also how to use them, not just "know" a mass of rules
2. Understand the concept so that you can recite it as you understand it
3. Rote memorizing is always an option for many rules
4. Shock yourself with silly mnemonics or other memory devices
5. Summarize

Also, you're not going to get a 65 just because you know the rules. That's just one minimum requirement. If I were you, I'd also focus on being able to get the right issues and to parse them out, since that's where everything starts.
Thanks for the helpful tips!

That's true. Didn't think about it that way. I think I might not be so bad at issue spotting since I did well on the PT, but maybe that was just because they give you the relevant rules... This exam, man...

onlythreemonths

New

Post by onlythreemonths » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:15 pm

6TimeFailure wrote:

Wow. Will definitely keep this in mind. Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Pema

New

Post by Pema » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:36 pm

6TimeFailure wrote:

Will do. Thanks all for responding.

helpappreciated

New

Post by helpappreciated » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:00 pm

Has anyone purchased the Kindle version of Strategies and Tactics for the MBE? I really prefer having the electronic version of things, but it looks like it would be more advantageous to use the hard copy for answering questions and using the 200-Question test they have in the book.

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:10 pm

helpappreciated wrote:Has anyone purchased the Kindle version of Strategies and Tactics for the MBE? I really prefer having the electronic version of things, but it looks like it would be more advantageous to use the hard copy for answering questions and using the 200-Question test they have in the book.

I bought the Kindle version. And you are right, I think the hard copy version is better for studying. However, I did prefer Adaptibar even though it is entirely online. Strange huh?

SDChargers

New

Post by SDChargers » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:40 pm

Just signed up for AdaptiBar - Let me know if you'd like the $30.00 OFF Promo Code, I can send you the referral link - Send me a private message.

Also just signed up for 2018 February BAR, didn't pass the July 2017 by couple of points. Having serious fatigue issues while doing the MBEs and need to work on that. Other than that I got a 75, a 70, 60s, and 55s (55 on PT & Essay).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rayforoc

New

Post by rayforoc » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:57 pm

Joining the group. Here is a thread I just posted: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=284002

This will be my third time taking it. I am printing out a macbook calendar tonight and starting tomorrow. Let's get this done.

helpappreciated

New

Post by helpappreciated » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:34 pm

On leansheets - Contracts - Past consideration - it says that no new consideration is needed unless "third party promise or promise to pay debt barred by SoL."

Can someone elaborate on the last part about the debt being barred by SoL?

onlythreemonths

New

Post by onlythreemonths » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:42 pm

helpappreciated wrote:On leansheets - Contracts - Past consideration - it says that no new consideration is needed unless "third party promise or promise to pay debt barred by SoL."

Can someone elaborate on the last part about the debt being barred by SoL?
The creditor can come collect after default up until the statute of limitations runs. If the debtor promises to pay the debt after it runs, then the creditor can collect whatever the debtor promised even though there was no new consideration. At least that's what one of my Kaplan MBE explanations says.

onlyoncemore

New

Post by onlyoncemore » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:39 am

Hello hello,

Just checking in as a second time taker for the Feb. bar.

Scores rounded to the nearest number
Scaled Written: 1465 :D
Scaled MBE: 1280 :oops: Worst areas (I swear, this'll make anyone here feel better);
  • Torts 3.5
  • Evidence 9.9
single digits y'all. I basically got every single of those questions wrong - fucking hell.

Guess what I'm going to be working on the next few months.

I used Kaplan my first time because they sold themselves as solid MBE preppers. I didn't actually use them much for essays. Did much better on essays, as scaled score shows so obviously, SO SCREW YOU Kaplan . I acutely remember feeling waves of panic during the MBE day. I felt like the questions were nothing like Kaplan's and they were much harder. So this time, I am using Adaptibar and Emmanuels. Any other recommendations for MBE questions? I still have Kaplan's MBE question book... i guess i'll go through that too :? .

I read the previous post predicting that the MBE writers are working around the supplements out there... hope I'll somehow get this MBE magic in the bag and not be killed [again] next round. Please let Adaptibar help.

Ugh.

alright.

LET'S DO THIS SHIIIIIT.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:01 pm

Nice work on the essays! You pretty much got all you need for the MBE. Just add water and practice :) You can focus even narrower on Torts and Evidence since you know those are problem areas. Emanuel has helpful answer explanations, so studying those will help a lot!

Snowflake1

New

Post by Snowflake1 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:26 pm

onlyoncemore wrote:Hello hello,

Scaled MBE: 1280 :oops: Worst areas (I swear, this'll make anyone here feel better);
  • Torts 3.5
  • Evidence 9.9
single digits y'all. I basically got every single of those questions wrong - fucking hell.

I used Kaplan my first time because they sold themselves as solid MBE preppers. I didn't actually use them much for essays. Did much better on essays, as scaled score shows so obviously, SO SCREW YOU Kaplan . I acutely remember feeling waves of panic during the MBE day. I felt like the questions were nothing like Kaplan's and they were much harder. So this time, I am using Adaptibar and Emmanuels. Any other recommendations for MBE questions? I still have Kaplan's MBE question book... i guess i'll go through that too :? .

I read the previous post predicting that the MBE writers are working around the supplements out there... hope I'll somehow get this MBE magic in the bag and not be killed [again] next round. Please let Adaptibar help.

Ugh.

alright.

LET'S DO THIS SHIIIIIT.
How did you practice for the essays? I was the opposite - I did well on MBE but poor on essays.

rayforoc

New

Post by rayforoc » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:49 pm

Snowflake1 wrote:
onlyoncemore wrote:Hello hello,

• Torts 3.5
  • Evidence 9.9

Ugh.

alright.

LET'S DO THIS SHIIIIIT.
How did you practice for the essays? I was the opposite - I did well on MBE but poor on essays.
I too am curious re this question...

helpappreciated

New

Post by helpappreciated » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:14 pm

a male human wrote:Nice work on the essays! You pretty much got all you need for the MBE. Just add water and practice :) You can focus even narrower on Torts and Evidence since you know those are problem areas. Emanuel has helpful answer explanations, so studying those will help a lot!
I gotta say I'm really enjoying the Emanuel MBE book. Apart from the solid explanations for every answer choice, the whole "ready the modifier first, then the reasoning, then the result" method is golden.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

onlyoncemore

New

Post by onlyoncemore » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:09 am

My approach to essays was as follows:
1) Memorize BLL for a topic as much as I could.
2) When I felt like I knew 60% of the material by memory, I printed out prompts from the BarEssays.com website for that topic (school gave access to the premium subscription for free... unfortunately I won't have it this time :cry: )
3) Try an essay or two fully first. Essays after this were usually just detailed outlines.
4) For the "self-grade," I looked at model answer first to get a picture of what a 100 would be and eeeeeeverything conceivable point the graders wanted us to hit.
5) Then I looked at the highest and 65 scoring corresponding student essays. I looked for (1) how much of the model answer topics these pass-scoring essays hit and (2) how these student writers organized their essay. I only did (2) when I got *at least* all the headings the 65 essay had.
6) Rinse and repeat from 2) and on until mine got closer and closer to the higher scoring essays. Eventually, it did. I would say after about 20+ essays. It somehow clicked at that point.

Special note/fyi/pointing out that I DID NOT do full on essays the whole time. Many of my friends did... I just didn't/couldn't see the usefulness of that. I could barely sit through lectures... how the hell was I going to make myself do essays from the start (except for, see 3) above)??? I just knew I didn't have that in me... so, I started out outlining. At about a month before the test, I started timing and writing essays full on. I didn't do an essay everyday even then actually (because I was, OR I THOUGHT I WAS, practicing hard for the MBE. still bitter about the score - ugh). I designated two days in a week that I used 1/2 day to just sit and hammer out 3~5 essays back to back. Actually ended up doing a lot more full on essays than some of my friends who had started out doing full essays off the bat.

The attitude I had towards the essay portion at the end of all this was basically (1) pretend that the reader is an idiot, (2) but an idiot who can magically understand everything as long as I give him/her the *correct* definition(s), and (3) an idiot who doesn't care what the outcome of the argument is as long as you can make a persuasive argument/line of reasoning leading to your result. Maybe that doesn't make sense ... but it does for me. Does this make sense? Sorry - it's been a bad tort day.
*edit: ok changed the word from twat to idiot*

On that note. Guys, I have the hardest time grasping the concept of "reasonableness" in tort MBE questions. When I think something is reasonable, answer says it's not. When answer says something is reasonable, my question annotations say that I didn't think it was. I've gone against my own gut feelings for half the questions because I've noticed that pattern... and I get those wrong too. Fucking hell. Do I just need to do a million of these questions.. halp... @Snowflake1 & @rayforoc... any tips on the MBEs?

small silver lining <???>; all my wrong questions seem to be in the negligence and strict liability section. Everything else looks good.... small silver lining... small... BUT IT'S SOMETHING DAMN IT. To reference @a male human... *adding lots of fucking water*

rayforoc

New

Post by rayforoc » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:39 am

onlyoncemore wrote:My approach to essays was as follows:
1) Memorize BLL for a topic as much as I could.
2) When I felt like I knew 60% of the material by memory, I printed out prompts from the BarEssays.com website for that topic (school gave access to the premium subscription for free... unfortunately I won't have it this time :cry: )
3) Try an essay or two fully first. Essays after this were usually just detailed outlines.
4) For the "self-grade," I looked at model answer first to get a picture of what a 100 would be and eeeeeeverything conceivable point the graders wanted us to hit.
5) Then I looked at the highest and 65 scoring corresponding student essays. I looked for (1) how much of the model answer topics these pass-scoring essays hit and (2) how these student writers organized their essay. I only did (2) when I got *at least* all the headings the 65 essay had.
6) Rinse and repeat from 2) and on until mine got closer and closer to the higher scoring essays. Eventually, it did. I would say after about 20+ essays. It somehow clicked at that point.

Special note/fyi/pointing out that I DID NOT do full on essays the whole time. Many of my friends did... I just didn't/couldn't see the usefulness of that. I could barely sit through lectures... how the hell was I going to make myself do essays from the start (except for, see 3) above)??? I just knew I didn't have that in me... so, I started out outlining. At about a month before the test, I started timing and writing essays full on. I didn't do an essay everyday even then actually (because I was, OR I THOUGHT I WAS, practicing hard for the MBE. still bitter about the score - ugh). I designated two days in a week that I used 1/2 day to just sit and hammer out 3~5 essays back to back. Actually ended up doing a lot more full on essays than some of my friends who had started out doing full essays off the bat.

The attitude I had towards the essay portion at the end of all this was basically (1) pretend that the reader is an idiot, (2) but an idiot who can magically understand everything as long as I give him/her the *correct* definition(s), and (3) an idiot who doesn't care what the outcome of the argument is as long as you can make a persuasive argument/line of reasoning leading to your result. Maybe that doesn't make sense ... but it does for me. Does this make sense? Sorry - it's been a bad tort day.
*edit: ok changed the word from twat to idiot*

On that note. Guys, I have the hardest time grasping the concept of "reasonableness" in tort MBE questions. When I think something is reasonable, answer says it's not. When answer says something is reasonable, my question annotations say that I didn't think it was. I've gone against my own gut feelings for half the questions because I've noticed that pattern... and I get those wrong too. Fucking hell. Do I just need to do a million of these questions.. halp... @Snowflake1 & @rayforoc... any tips on the MBEs?

small silver lining <???>; all my wrong questions seem to be in the negligence and strict liability section. Everything else looks good.... small silver lining... small... BUT IT'S SOMETHING DAMN IT. To reference @a male human... *adding lots of fucking water*
Thanks for the response.

Yes, I noticed after certain amount of, say Tort questions, I began to develop patterns in my mind so when a new question approaches, after reading it I immediately sensed what the answer could be and through process of illumination I reaffirmed that that is in fact the answer. Granted I haven’t passed, but I was scoring around 89% for torts on adaptibar if I recall. I’ve always had exam taking issues that I have to get over, but I believe I am on track to passing this time. I don’t think it is so much a matter of the amount questions you do so long as you understand why you got the question right or wrong. However, I do believe you should do a set amount of questions every day. Personally I am doing 50. Lastly, I think this idea of writing one sentence rule statement for each question you guess on or get wrong in a notepad is important. I ran out and bought seven pads the other day!
Last edited by rayforoc on Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Snowflake1

New

Post by Snowflake1 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:42 am

Thanks - your advice is very good.

I am also outlining a lot of essays and then looking at the 65-75 graded ones on BarEssays.com to see if I hit the issues that are important for points.

And you're right, a lot of it is structure. That is a big difference I see on BarEssays between the essays that scored 55 and the essays that scored 65-75. The grader needs to search for the issues int he 55s and would not want to do that.

For the MBE, I highly recommend the strategies and tactics books. It's the same released questions that all of the other more expensive services use. Also, after practicing MBEs, I would wait a few days and redo all of the ones that I missed. Eventually I kind of understood the mindset of how they wrote the questions.

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:17 pm

I highly recommend the "essay templates" on Baressays.com

I re-typed those templates out repeatedly over 3 months. It helped me quickly remember and type down rule statements on the actual exam.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”