MPRE in NYC (Cell Phone)

maroon175

MPRE in NYC (Cell Phone)

Postby maroon175 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:15 pm

Can anyone who has taken the MPRE at a location in NYC (Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens) speak to whether you get searched for having a cell phone on you? Or do most centers trust that you won't bring it with you?

TEIAM

Re: MPRE in NYC (Cell Phone)

Postby TEIAM » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:19 pm

maroon175 wrote:Can anyone who has taken the MPRE at a location in NYC (Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens) speak to whether you get searched for having a cell phone on you? Or do most centers trust that you won't bring it with you?

The irony here is awesome. 10/10.

lakers180

Postby lakers180 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:24 pm

in op's defense it's probably not a ethical issue but a logistical one. especially if your not from ny, its hard to get to new places on the train w/o your phone. and the locations can be obscure sometimes. for what its worth when i took it there was no search or anything like that

but your prolly better off taking a cab, leaving the phone, and not having to worry about it

TEIAM

Postby TEIAM » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:30 pm

1. There is an express prohibition on cell phones, whether used or not.
2. People have been navigating cities without cell phones for generations. There is no reason to risk getting caught when you can print out a route or take a cab.

edit: scooped on the latter point.

L_William_W

Postby L_William_W » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:50 pm

maroon175 wrote:Can anyone who has taken the MPRE at a location in NYC (Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens) speak to whether you get searched for having a cell phone on you? Or do most centers trust that you won't bring it with you?

I took it at CUNY law in Queens. As long as you don't have it on your desk and it's off you shouldn't have a problem. Just to be safe, put it in your pocket. They don't give you an airport pat down.

Slytherpuff

Postby Slytherpuff » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:27 pm

I picked a site where a friend went to school and stored my phone/water in her journal office beforehand. You should be able to navigate fine without one, but I know how much peace of mind it provides being able to use it for public transit help. Other friends did trial runs the day before to practice getting to the site so they could do it without using a phone.

Kummel

Postby Kummel » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:32 pm

Slytherpuff wrote:I picked a site where a friend went to school and stored my phone/water in her journal office beforehand. You should be able to navigate fine without one, but I know how much peace of mind it provides being able to use it for public transit help. Other friends did trial runs the day before to practice getting to the site so they could do it without using a phone.

“Trial run” lol

anon3030

Postby anon3030 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:40 pm

They didn't search me at my location before the test, but they got upset when I started googling the model rules.

Toubro

Postby Toubro » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:46 am

L_William_W wrote:

I took it at CUNY law in Queens. As long as you don't have it on your desk and it's off you shouldn't have a problem. Just to be safe, put it in your pocket. They don't give you an airport pat down.

Not sure if trolling, but do not do this OP. If you get caught, your score for the MPRE will get cancelled and LSAC will alert NCBE, who will alert BOLE, who will alert the relevant NY character & fitness committee.

Also, people get caught a lot more frequently than you'd think. Just read the ligation updates from bar exam newsletters.

Tony48

Postby Tony48 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:11 pm

anon3030 wrote:They didn't search me at my location before the test, but they got upset when I started googling the model rules.

I lol'd

pancakes3

Postby pancakes3 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:45 pm

there are like 10 different ways to deal with this better than "sneak the phone in"

L_William_W

Postby L_William_W » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:05 pm

Toubro wrote:
L_William_W wrote:

Not sure if trolling, but do not do this OP. If you get caught, your score for the MPRE will get cancelled and LSAC will alert NCBE, who will alert BOLE, who will alert the relevant NY character & fitness committee.

Also, people get caught a lot more frequently than you'd think. Just read the ligation updates from bar exam newsletters.

I'm not trolling. I TOOK the exam in August (and passed with a 106). Yes, they look at your desk and yes, you're required to put your stuff in one of those plastic bags. HOWEVER, they don't search every nook and cranny of your body. I highly doubt that they're going to make you empty your pants pockets and then fail you for having a cell phone that's OFF. I'm not going to be held responsible if someone is "caught", but this is my EXPERIENCE.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:18 pm

Kummel wrote:
Slytherpuff wrote:I picked a site where a friend went to school and stored my phone/water in her journal office beforehand. You should be able to navigate fine without one, but I know how much peace of mind it provides being able to use it for public transit help. Other friends did trial runs the day before to practice getting to the site so they could do it without using a phone.

“Trial run” lol

Tbh I did that the night before every LSAT and every callback interview I ever did, lol.

Toubro

Postby Toubro » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:37 pm

L_William_W wrote:
Toubro wrote:
L_William_W wrote:

I'm not trolling. I TOOK the exam in August (and passed with a 106). Yes, they look at your desk and yes, you're required to put your stuff in one of those plastic bags. HOWEVER, they don't search every nook and cranny of your body. I highly doubt that they're going to make you empty your pants pockets and then fail you for having a cell phone that's OFF. I'm not going to be held responsible if someone is "caught", but this is my EXPERIENCE.

Haha I'm not sure what the capitalized letters are supposed to indicate or what the relevance of your score is. Like most other people on here, I also TOOK the exam and am speaking from EXPERIENCE. It's not worth the risk, but I'm glad you've put your experience out there for people to make an informed decision about whether to break their rules. Personally I hope no one took you advice for yesterday's test.

Also your little disclaimer of responsibility is rich in light of your conviction regarding how good of an idea this is.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”