First Department Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
polkadot12

New

First Department

Post by polkadot12 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:55 am

Figured I'd start a thread about getting admitted into the first department.

anyone send in their paperwork for C&F yet?
or the registration fee?

Yugihoe

Silver

Re: First Department

Post by Yugihoe » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:15 pm

Tag interested in this. Also interested in hearing from people who got admitted recently and the dates they sent their app and how long it took to get processed and then sworn in.

I'm still waiting for my employment affidavits.

HonestAdvice

Bronze

Post by HonestAdvice » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:39 pm

They do it every month. Turn around from being complete to swear in was about 3.5 months. They're pretty reasonable and easy to get into contact with. I can't speak for other departments, but the First Department was a pleasure to deal with and try to make the process as non-stressful as is reasonable practicable.

polkadot12

New

Post by polkadot12 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:15 pm

I sent in my paperwork on 10/24, and the check for $375 on Friday, but other than that, havent been able to get any info on what else is needed or what will happen

tr617

New

Post by tr617 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:56 am

Where did you guys find the information for sending in the check? I couldn't find anything on the First dept website.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

polkadot12

New

Post by polkadot12 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:45 am

tr617 wrote:Where did you guys find the information for sending in the check? I couldn't find anything on the First dept website.

so theres nothing on the first dept per say, but i called them and they were fine with me sending it in ( i dont foresee not getting sworn in)

https://www.nycourts.gov/courts/ad2/pdf ... ackage.pdf

i filled out the form, and the first part that you cut out, i just sent separately to the first department attached to a paper giving them my name and BOLE ID #. they said they would attach it to my application.

the next page goes to the office of registration unit. This one, i sent with tracking info cause it had my credit card info entered.

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:31 pm

Just mailed my stuff in. Didn't include the check - I'll wait until they tell me my package is complete and provide instructions. I feel like I heard about people bringing a check to the interview in past years!

runthetrap1990

Bronze

Post by runthetrap1990 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:59 pm

Waiting on two more affidavits to come in (should be any day now) and I'm ready to go for sending in.

ETA: I asked this question in an earlier thread but wanted to ask here just to be sure. Do you need to get your 50 Hour Pro Bono Re-Notarized, etc. if you change the address on it from what it was at the time of the notarization (nothing else has changed)? Or alternatively, can you submit that form with an old address if the rest of your application materials are up to date re: the date?

Toubro

Bronze

Post by Toubro » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:32 am

I submitted my packet too and didn't include a check -- it wasn't mentioned on their checklist of things to submit in the packet (but then again, neither was the pro bono affidavit lol).

I heard it takes about 3 months or so. For all of us who have it in within a week of the results, when do you think we'll get sworn in?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Toubro

Bronze

Post by Toubro » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:34 am

runthetrap1990 wrote:Waiting on two more affidavits to come in (should be any day now) and I'm ready to go for sending in.

ETA: I asked this question in an earlier thread but wanted to ask here just to be sure. Do you need to get your 50 Hour Pro Bono Re-Notarized, etc. if you change the address on it from what it was at the time of the notarization (nothing else has changed)? Or alternatively, can you submit that form with an old address if the rest of your application materials are up to date re: the date?
I don't think you need to change anything? I'm pretty sure most schools tell you to get that affidavit ASAP, which could mean (and often does mean) 1L summers. Addresses must change since then.

The notary is only attesting to your signature, not the contents of the form. Why would a change of address affect the validity of that attestation?

runthetrap1990

Bronze

Post by runthetrap1990 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:45 pm

Toubro wrote:
runthetrap1990 wrote:Waiting on two more affidavits to come in (should be any day now) and I'm ready to go for sending in.

I don't think you need to change anything? I'm pretty sure most schools tell you to get that affidavit ASAP, which could mean (and often does mean) 1L summers. Addresses must change since then.

The notary is only attesting to your signature, not the contents of the form. Why would a change of address affect the validity of that attestation?
No that makes sense. I guess i'm just being unusually paranoid because this is the last step in the bar journey and I don't want to mess it up.

Thanks for quelling my paranoia.

Toubro

Bronze

Post by Toubro » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:47 pm

runthetrap1990 wrote:
Toubro wrote:

No that makes sense. I guess i'm just being unusually paranoid because this is the last step in the bar journey and I don't want to mess it up.

Thanks for quelling my paranoia.
Ugh with you on the paranoia!

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:16 am

I'm sitting here paranoid that because I didn't overnight my materials when I sent them on Monday, I won't be processed in time for the first wave of swearing in (somehow they're arriving on Thursday despite staying in Manhattan?).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JuliaReina

New

Post by JuliaReina » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:41 am

Interesting one!

Toubro

Bronze

Post by Toubro » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:38 am

Slytherpuff wrote:I'm sitting here paranoid that because I didn't overnight my materials when I sent them on Monday, I won't be processed in time for the first wave of swearing in (somehow they're arriving on Thursday despite staying in Manhattan?).
When's the first waive? And what is the cutoff?

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:39 pm

Toubro wrote:
Slytherpuff wrote:I'm sitting here paranoid that because I didn't overnight my materials when I sent them on Monday, I won't be processed in time for the first wave of swearing in (somehow they're arriving on Thursday despite staying in Manhattan?).
There's no way of knowing but based on previous years, I think the first swearing in ceremony is probably in January for the 1st Department. It just depends on how many people have already sent in their applications!

Toubro

Bronze

Post by Toubro » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:58 pm

Slytherpuff wrote:
Toubro wrote:
There's no way of knowing but based on previous years, I think the first swearing in ceremony is probably in January for the 1st Department. It just depends on how many people have already sent in their applications!
Gotcha, thanks! This whole process is a gift that keeps on giving . . .

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Toubro

Bronze

Post by Toubro » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:56 pm

All of my materials were delivered but I didn't receive any confirmation.

I almost wish this was like law school apps where you'd get a tracker :?

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:53 pm

Toubro wrote:All of my materials were delivered but I didn't receive any confirmation.

I almost wish this was like law school apps where you'd get a tracker :?
Ditto. We'll hear eventually!

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:09 pm

Looks like the first swearing-in ceremony is January 22! Toubro and I got confirmations in the mail (although the committee can still email you to say that your app is incomplete - the letter basically says they received the application, not that you're approved).

Carly

New

Post by Carly » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:10 pm

waiting on some employment affs (these lawyers are killing me) but also had a question on the check- didn't see when we should send it in so I wasn't planning on it until instructed to do so (also cause I could use that $$ right now feel me?).

Did everyone overnight or somehow track their submission? This whole time I assumed I would walk it into the first department because I don't live far but i guess tracking mail would just be easier.

Also (and a more fun question) anyone know how many people are allowed to see the ceremony? Half of my family has already requested to come lmao

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:03 pm

My interview/ceremony letter came with instructions for sending the check. No need to submit it with your application.

I sent my stuff over certified mail but it took FOREVER. I don't see anything wrong with you walking it there!

polkadot12

New

Post by polkadot12 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:12 pm

Ditto about the 22nd, thats what my letter says as well

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:25 pm

One of my affidavits is a notarized letter from me saying the people I worked with for one job wouldn't respond to my emails requesting them to fill out the Pro Bono form. Has anyone here done something similar and will it affect my admission? I have enough hours from other pro bono gigs.

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:22 pm

Can I ask a clarification re: the pro bono form? We fill it out ourselves and have it notarized. And then we mail it to our pro bono employers who basically just sign off on it and mail it back without getting a second notarization? Is that the procedure?
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”