2018 February DC Bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
law9871

New

Re: 2018 February DC Bar

Post by law9871 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:49 pm

Save $10 off Critical Pass Flashcards http://criticalpass.refr.cc/2017JULYBAR

I used critical pass when studying for the UBE and they saved my life and I passed on my first try. I definitely would recommend these flashcards, they help you hammer down the black letter law which is exactly what the bar tests on.

JDtoEsq

New

Post by JDtoEsq » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:52 am

Anyone know what time MPRE scores post? -- Posted Yesterday, I passed.
Last edited by JDtoEsq on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dogzncatz

New

Post by dogzncatz » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:45 pm

1st time taker here. Using Adaptibar and BarMax as of now and will update on how they're working out.

shaq23

New

Post by shaq23 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:05 pm

hanner22 wrote:Hi--I failed the Virginia bar exam and need some advice!!

I needed a 140 to pass and I scored 133.8. I received my score report and did ok on MBE [148/200] but horrendous on VA essay portion [124.3/200].

I am now thinking about taking the DC bar instead of retaking the Virginia bar. I was told that I can transfer my MBE score to DC despite failing the actual exam. Is this true? I just tried to access the DC bar exam website but it's down so I figured I should throw out the question in this forum.

Sooo basically:
1. Can I transfer my MBE score to DC even though I failed the exam in Virginia?
2. Anyone have any experience taking the DC bar after failing VA? Or have any opinions on which one would be best to take?

Thanks!

hey there. I know of someone that was in your shoes.

1. yes you can transfer your MBE score, so long as you meet DC MBE score requirement, which i believe is 140 (just double check that).
2. You can take the DC bar under the DC Rules. I'm not sure however how waiving in works, if you were to then attempt to waive into Virginia or any other state (including UBE states) - since you didn't take the full exam administration. I think I had looked into this once before and waiving into other jurisdictions was prohibited.

On a side note -- take a look at this site -- has some great resources to help for taking the Virginia bar exam:

https://www.virginiabarprep.com/#latest-news

If you need help with essays, there is LexBar -- i found them very helpful. See the link below:

https://www.virginiabarprep.com/virgini ... resources/

R_G

New

Post by R_G » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:24 am

Hi all,

Has anyone taken the DC UBE before? If so can anyone share their experiences of the testing environment? Re-taker here, but I previously took it in NYC, so going to a new environment is making me nervous, plus I've hearing about horror stories about inept administration....

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jjjddd

New

Post by jjjddd » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:42 am

Hi first time taking the bar. I have a question about the Extegrity Exam4 software that you have to download. I type really slow. so, I tend to use copy paste specially to lay out facts in analysis. Does any one that has previously taken this exam or has utilized this software know if it will allow you to copy paste facts into the answer?

R_G

New

Post by R_G » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:09 am

How do you know if your DC bar application went through? Do they send you an email being like your application has been submitted?

yuzu

Bronze

Post by yuzu » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:56 pm

jjjddd wrote:Hi first time taking the bar. I have a question about the Extegrity Exam4 software that you have to download. I type really slow. so, I tend to use copy paste specially to lay out facts in analysis. Does any one that has previously taken this exam or has utilized this software know if it will allow you to copy paste facts into the answer?
I believe Exam4 has a copy/paste feature, but the question itself is only presented to you on paper. Therefore, you cannot copy facts from the actual MEE/MPT questions to use in your answer.

yuzu

Bronze

Post by yuzu » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:00 pm

R_G wrote:How do you know if your DC bar application went through? Do they send you an email being like your application has been submitted?
I received an initial email titled "DCCA Office of Admissions: Thank You for Submitting Your Exam Application to the D.C. Bar" and several weeks later received another email titled "DCCA Office of Admissions: Acknowledgement Email" stating that the application "has been accepted for processing." The admission ticket was sent a week before the exam.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LaShuanMichelle

New

Post by LaShuanMichelle » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:09 pm

R_G wrote:Hi all,

Has anyone taken the DC UBE before? If so can anyone share their experiences of the testing environment? Re-taker here, but I previously took it in NYC, so going to a new environment is making me nervous, plus I've hearing about horror stories about inept administration....
I posted this a couple weeks ago, One tip I will share about the DC Bar is be prepared for the test environment. I was not prepared for how cold the room would be and I believe it contributed to my negative outcome. The DC Bar exam was held in the Walter E. Washington Convention Center. It was extremely cold in the room. There was a thermometer in the room and at times it dipped down below 60 degrees. That may not seem cold to some but when you are sitting still for hours at a time with no jacket (jackets were not allowed), it is very uncomfortable, I was shivering most of the time. During the exam my hands were so cold that they were numb, making it difficult to type. On Day 2, I wore socks on my hands because I couldn't find anywhere that sold gloves in mid-July. The extreme temperature of the room was a big distraction for me. The room moderators were very kind and did make requests to have to room temperature adjusted but were unsuccessful. This time around I will definitely dress in layers, thermo pants and top and a sweater (without pockets). I will bring gloves and possibly a hat (if it is allowed). I hope this information is helpful.

perplixityparanoia

New

Post by perplixityparanoia » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:07 pm

The room is very chilly. Also, they don't allow any sweatshirts that have pockets.

One more issue with D.C. bar is anyone who has Mac laptop may face some issues with Exam 4. On the first day of July'17, I was having trouble submitting my MPT answers, and did not get the "submitted receipt." I had to wait for a long time during lunch break to figure out the computer issues.

dcbartaker

New

Post by dcbartaker » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:03 pm

shaq23 wrote:
hanner22 wrote:
1. yes you can transfer your MBE score, so long as you meet DC MBE score requirement, which i believe is 140 (just double check that).
I think the minimum score to transfer is a 133.

Has anyone done this before? How do you find out if they accept your score? Is it a super long process?

R_G

New

Post by R_G » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:34 pm

LaShuanMichelle wrote:

I posted this a couple weeks ago, One tip I will share about the DC Bar is be prepared for the test environment. I was not prepared for how cold the room would be and I believe it contributed to my negative outcome. The DC Bar exam was held in the Walter E. Washington Convention Center. It was extremely cold in the room. There was a thermometer in the room and at times it dipped down below 60 degrees. That may not seem cold to some but when you are sitting still for hours at a time with no jacket (jackets were not allowed), it is very uncomfortable, I was shivering most of the time. During the exam my hands were so cold that they were numb, making it difficult to type. On Day 2, I wore socks on my hands because I couldn't find anywhere that sold gloves in mid-July. The extreme temperature of the room was a big distraction for me. The room moderators were very kind and did make requests to have to room temperature adjusted but were unsuccessful. This time around I will definitely dress in layers, thermo pants and top and a sweater (without pockets). I will bring gloves and possibly a hat (if it is allowed). I hope this information is helpful.

This is very helpful, thank you! I am hoping that it won't be chilly this time around for the winter exam. Also, does the room have digital clocks?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

R_G

New

Post by R_G » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:13 am

perplixityparanoia wrote:The room is very chilly. Also, they don't allow any sweatshirts that have pockets.

One more issue with D.C. bar is anyone who has Mac laptop may face some issues with Exam 4. On the first day of July'17, I was having trouble submitting my MPT answers, and did not get the "submitted receipt." I had to wait for a long time during lunch break to figure out the computer issues.
Oh no, I'm sorry that happened. Did things get resolved during lunch break? Also, speaking of lunch break, how crazy is it to exit the room? Are there a lot of students, and hence reducing lunch break time?

R_G

New

Post by R_G » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:14 am

yuzu wrote:
R_G wrote:How do you know if your DC bar application went through? Do they send you an email being like your application has been submitted?
I received an initial email titled "DCCA Office of Admissions: Thank You for Submitting Your Exam Application to the D.C. Bar" and several weeks later received another email titled "DCCA Office of Admissions: Acknowledgement Email" stating that the application "has been accepted for processing." The admission ticket was sent a week before the exam.
Awesome thank you!

jacketyellow

Bronze

Post by jacketyellow » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:45 am

R_G wrote:
perplixityparanoia wrote:The room is very chilly. Also, they don't allow any sweatshirts that have pockets.

Oh no, I'm sorry that happened. Did things get resolved during lunch break? Also, speaking of lunch break, how crazy is it to exit the room? Are there a lot of students, and hence reducing lunch break time?
It is not crazy to exit the room. There will be no reduced lunch break. If you get done with the morning session at 12:30, then you will need to be back in the room at 1:30, to start the afternoon session at 2. You always get an hour lunch break; it doesn't matter what time you leave the morning session.

jacketyellow

Bronze

Post by jacketyellow » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:47 am

R_G wrote:
LaShuanMichelle wrote:

This is very helpful, thank you! I am hoping that it won't be chilly this time around for the winter exam. Also, does the room have digital clocks?

If anything, it'll probably be too hot. These testing environments aren't really considerate.

Yes, the room has 6 huge digital clocks, so you can keep track of time. Your proctor should give a 30 minute warning, but if he/she doesn't, then you will still know when time is about to be up.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jacketyellow

Bronze

Post by jacketyellow » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:48 am

dcbartaker wrote:
shaq23 wrote:
hanner22 wrote:
I think the minimum score to transfer is a 133.

Has anyone done this before? How do you find out if they accept your score? Is it a super long process?
The minimum score is not 140; it is 133. I've never done this, but I do know it's not a super long process. You should call DCCA and ask.

jacketyellow

Bronze

Post by jacketyellow » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:51 am

The room will be too cold (or too hot). The administration is really not that bad; I think people just like to grouse over the little things, especially with a very important test. The July administration definitely had problems, but none too big to overcome. It was mostly just the proctors passing out the wrong attendance sheets, but this was easily remedied at the end of the exam. I think the horror stories were just overhyped. When something like this happens in February, just sit calmly and wait on a solution.

jacketyellow

Bronze

Post by jacketyellow » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:53 am

dcbartaker wrote:
timesnewboston wrote: First time taker. Anyone know when laptop registration opens and closes for the February 2018 DC bar exam?

Can't find the answer to this either? ...Anyone?
For the July administration, laptop registration opened a month before the actual exam and lasted 9 days. There was an extra 2 day "late registration" period.

R_G

New

Post by R_G » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:45 pm

jacketyellow wrote:
R_G wrote:

It is not crazy to exit the room. There will be no reduced lunch break. If you get done with the morning session at 12:30, then you will need to be back in the room at 1:30, to start the afternoon session at 2. You always get an hour lunch break; it doesn't matter what time you leave the morning session.
Awesome. I am comparing it to my NYC experience. Since there are at least 1,000 students per room, our hour lunch break really isn't an hour...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cho8583

New

Post by cho8583 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:56 am

Retakers from J2017, did u guys get the score report with essay score breakdown via mail? I do know in fact they did mail out the score report for F2017, but I havent got the score report yet nor they answer my email asking for it.

ASMLAW

New

2018 Feb DC Bar Testing Accommodations and General Timeline

Post by ASMLAW » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:33 pm

Hi:
I submitted my application for the DC bar a day or so before the early deadline. Does anyone know how long it may tale to get notice if you applied for accommodations? How about for the NCBE C&F requirement? Lastly, how long for DC and the exam as a whole? Thanks.

dcbartaker

New

Re: 2018 Feb DC Bar Testing Accommodations and General Timeline

Post by dcbartaker » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:17 pm

ASMLAW wrote:Hi:
I submitted my application for the DC bar a day or so before the early deadline. Does anyone know how long it may tale to get notice if you applied for accommodations? How about for the NCBE C&F requirement? Lastly, how long for DC and the exam as a whole? Thanks.
I submitted my application on November 15th and it took about a month to be accepted. Since then, all of the sections now have green check marks except the C&F Summary Report. That still says "pending report." I'm assuming that will take quite a while. As far as accommodations, I think that will probably come closer to the test. I'm waiting on the acceptance of my MBE score to only take the Essays. Hoping that will be acknowledged soon. :D

50Cent

New

Post by 50Cent » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:02 pm

Does anyone know when we get the ticket to sit for the DC bar? I registered mid-December and so far, all I received was an email confirming receipt of my exam application.

Also, the laptop registration is separate right?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”