2018 February DC Bar

greatheights
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:16 am

2018 February DC Bar

Postby greatheights » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:49 pm

Starting this thread for 1st timers and those re-takers.

I'll likely take Barbri in DC.

perplixityparanoia
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:43 am

Re: 2018 February DC Bar

Postby perplixityparanoia » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:43 pm

I will have to retake in Feb. I am thinking of taking JD advising for UBE prep. Any thoughts on that?

greatheights
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:16 am

Re: 2018 February DC Bar

Postby greatheights » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:57 pm

perplixityparanoia wrote:I will have to retake in Feb. I am thinking of taking JD advising for UBE prep. Any thoughts on that?


I do not have experience with JD Advising. What did you use over the summer?

perplixityparanoia
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:43 am

Re: 2018 February DC Bar

Postby perplixityparanoia » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:03 pm

I used Barbri

LaShuanMichelle
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:01 am

Re: 2018 February DC Bar

Postby LaShuanMichelle » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:10 pm

I didn’t pass the July Bar... feeling a little down not because I didn’t pass but more so because I scored 132.4 on the MBE ... only .6 more points & I wouldn’t have to retake that portion... Missed the minimum overall passing score by 20 points.

Oh well... my next goal is to get ready for the February Bar... I used Kaplan the last time... any suggestions on what study prep materials to use for DC Bar?

jacketyellow
Posts: 219
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:51 pm

Re: 2018 February DC Bar

Postby jacketyellow » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:32 pm

LaShuanMichelle wrote:I didn’t pass the July Bar... feeling a little down not because I didn’t pass but more so because I scored 132.4 on the MBE ... only .6 more points & I wouldn’t have to retake that portion... Missed the minimum overall passing score by 20 points.

Oh well... my next goal is to get ready for the February Bar... I used Kaplan the last time... any suggestions on what study prep materials to use for DC Bar?


I'm sorry to hear that. I know that was a big disappointment.

This is my suggestion, and it worked for me on the DC exam. Use Smart Bar Prep's materials. That company offers "Lean Sheets." These sheets are usually 1-2 pages of the commonly tested rules on the MEE. Get these rules; write, re-write, and re-write (and re-write) the rules; and memorize those rules. Then, do practice MEE exams, so you can see how those rules come into play in that particular essay.

For MBE, you got to practice, practice, practice. Get Adaptibar questions and get the actual NCBE questions. You can buy 50 NCBE questions for $25, I believe. I would buy probably 3 or 4 sets of these.

You really don't need a commercial course, but if you want to get practice MEE questions and the course's MBE questions (for even more practice), then get buy a commercial course. You do not need to follow their schedule. Just continue to memorize the rules and to re-write those rules until they are cemented in your brain and continue to practice MBE questions. Do this, and you're gold.

I feel your pain. While I cannot empathize, as I passed on the first try, I can give you what I did to pass. After a certain point in time, I stopped using Barbri's plan. I only use its MBE questions and practice essay questions. That's it.

pausetildone
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:25 pm

Re: 2018 February DC Bar

Postby pausetildone » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:12 am

you all are able to register for the Feb. exam on dcbar.org?

pausetildone
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:25 pm

Re: 2018 February DC Bar

Postby pausetildone » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:00 pm

I got the email from the dc bar. The system is under construction.

hanner22
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:27 pm

Re: 2018 February DC Bar

Postby hanner22 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:07 pm

Hi--I failed the Virginia bar exam and need some advice!!

I needed a 140 to pass and I scored 133.8. I received my score report and did ok on MBE [148/200] but horrendous on VA essay portion [124.3/200].

I am now thinking about taking the DC bar instead of retaking the Virginia bar. I was told that I can transfer my MBE score to DC despite failing the actual exam. Is this true? I just tried to access the DC bar exam website but it's down so I figured I should throw out the question in this forum.

Sooo basically:
1. Can I transfer my MBE score to DC even though I failed the exam in Virginia?
2. Anyone have any experience taking the DC bar after failing VA? Or have any opinions on which one would be best to take?

Thanks!

akumar26
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:27 am

Signing Up For 2018 Feb. DC Bar After Failing July

Postby akumar26 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:43 am

D.C. website is the worst. Anyone else having trouble signing up for the Feb. 2018 after failing July (minus the site being down)

I took the exam in July, but did not pass. I am trying to sign up for the Feb. 2018 exam, but the system would let me because it has my old application on file. I called DC COA and was informed that I may need to create a different account using a different email to sign up. You have got to be kidding, right?? I let them know that this answer was unacceptable. They certainly don't want duplicate information floating around for the same person (plus, I am not paying again for character and fitness). They recognized it was a silly answer, so the officer said she will get back to me. It has been a week and no response. Apparently the director, the decision maker, has been away on a conference this entire time.

I know this is a new system for D.C., but how did they not anticipate this question? I requested them to send a memo to students who did not pass with instructions on how to sign up again, so we will see. Have any of the other retakers tried to sign up for the bar or talked to the DC Courts officials?? I am concerned about missing the deadline to sign up.

cho8583
Posts: 81
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:12 pm

Re: Signing Up For 2018 Feb. DC Bar After Failing July

Postby cho8583 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:17 am

akumar26 wrote:D.C. website is the worst. Anyone else having trouble signing up for the Feb. 2018 after failing July (minus the site being down)

I took the exam in July, but did not pass. I am trying to sign up for the Feb. 2018 exam, but the system would let me because it has my old application on file. I called DC COA and was informed that I may need to create a different account using a different email to sign up. You have got to be kidding, right?? I let them know that this answer was unacceptable. They certainly don't want duplicate information floating around for the same person (plus, I am not paying again for character and fitness). They recognized it was a silly answer, so the officer said she will get back to me. It has been a week and no response. Apparently the director, the decision maker, has been away on a conference this entire time.

I know this is a new system for D.C., but how did they not anticipate this question? I requested them to send a memo to students who did not pass with instructions on how to sign up again, so we will see. Have any of the other retakers tried to sign up for the bar or talked to the DC Courts officials?? I am concerned about missing the deadline to sign up.


I emailed them asking the same question, and they emailed me back saying "Feb 2018 application hasn't opened yet, please check again." Please do update us when you get the answer from them. Yeah, DC is the worst admin I tell ya.

akumar26
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:27 am

Re: Signing Up For 2018 Feb. DC Bar After Failing July

Postby akumar26 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:43 pm

cho8583 -- I was finally told that they would terminate the old applications for all applicants who did not pass, which would allow us to sign up for the Feb. 2018 exam. I am still not able to sign up -- the "start an application" button wouldn't let me move from my July application. This is so frustrating. Has anyone else heard anything?


cho8583 wrote:
akumar26 wrote:D.C. website is the worst. Anyone else having trouble signing up for the Feb. 2018 after failing July (minus the site being down)

I took the exam in July, but did not pass. I am trying to sign up for the Feb. 2018 exam, but the system would let me because it has my old application on file. I called DC COA and was informed that I may need to create a different account using a different email to sign up. You have got to be kidding, right?? I let them know that this answer was unacceptable. They certainly don't want duplicate information floating around for the same person (plus, I am not paying again for character and fitness). They recognized it was a silly answer, so the officer said she will get back to me. It has been a week and no response. Apparently the director, the decision maker, has been away on a conference this entire time.

I know this is a new system for D.C., but how did they not anticipate this question? I requested them to send a memo to students who did not pass with instructions on how to sign up again, so we will see. Have any of the other retakers tried to sign up for the bar or talked to the DC Courts officials?? I am concerned about missing the deadline to sign up.


I emailed them asking the same question, and they emailed me back saying "Feb 2018 application hasn't opened yet, please check again." Please do update us when you get the answer from them. Yeah, DC is the worst admin I tell ya.

jacketyellow
Posts: 219
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:51 pm

Re: 2018 February DC Bar

Postby jacketyellow » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:26 pm

hanner22 wrote: Sooo basically:
1. Can I transfer my MBE score to DC even though I failed the exam in Virginia?
2. Anyone have any experience taking the DC bar after failing VA? Or have any opinions on which one would be best to take?


I have no experience taking Virginia and then taking DC.

I have experience taking DC. Yes, your MBE score is high enough to waive it into DC, but you will still have to take the essay portion in February. I would get Lean Sheets and practice the commonly tested rules over and over. I used that approach and passed.

pausetildone
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:25 pm

Re: 2018 February DC Bar

Postby pausetildone » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:00 pm

Retakers, did you get the breakdown score of each essay?

timesnewboston
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:35 am

Re: 2018 February DC Bar

Postby timesnewboston » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:40 pm

first time taker. Anyone know when laptop registration opens and closes for the February 2018 DC bar exam?

JDtoEsq
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:47 pm

Re: 2018 February DC Bar

Postby JDtoEsq » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:51 pm

Does anyone know if once we upload all our documents on the portal will we be prompted to make the payments for the Application & test?

LaShuanMichelle
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:01 am

Re: 2018 February DC Bar

Postby LaShuanMichelle » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:16 pm

pausetildone wrote:Retakers, did you get the breakdown score of each essay?


No, however I did submit a request via email to go to DC on December 13th to review the essay portion of my exam. I am not familiar with whether there is another option to get a score breakdown.

LaShuanMichelle
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:01 am

Re: 2018 February DC Bar

Postby LaShuanMichelle » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:27 pm

jacketyellow wrote:
LaShuanMichelle wrote:I didn’t pass the July Bar... feeling a little down not because I didn’t pass but more so because I scored 132.4 on the MBE ... only .6 more points & I wouldn’t have to retake that portion... Missed the minimum overall passing score by 20 points.

Oh well... my next goal is to get ready for the February Bar... I used Kaplan the last time... any suggestions on what study prep materials to use for DC Bar?


I'm sorry to hear that. I know that was a big disappointment.

This is my suggestion, and it worked for me on the DC exam. Use Smart Bar Prep's materials. That company offers "Lean Sheets." These sheets are usually 1-2 pages of the commonly tested rules on the MEE. Get these rules; write, re-write, and re-write (and re-write) the rules; and memorize those rules. Then, do practice MEE exams, so you can see how those rules come into play in that particular essay.

For MBE, you got to practice, practice, practice. Get Adaptibar questions and get the actual NCBE questions. You can buy 50 NCBE questions for $25, I believe. I would buy probably 3 or 4 sets of these.

You really don't need a commercial course, but if you want to get practice MEE questions and the course's MBE questions (for even more practice), then get buy a commercial course. You do not need to follow their schedule. Just continue to memorize the rules and to re-write those rules until they are cemented in your brain and continue to practice MBE questions. Do this, and you're gold.

I feel your pain. While I cannot empathize, as I passed on the first try, I can give you what I did to pass. After a certain point in time, I stopped using Barbri's plan. I only use its MBE questions and practice essay questions. That's it.



Thank you so much for your tips. Since you have passed I will take them to heart. I was eligible for he Kaplan program for free since I completed the course, so I will have access to those tools as well. As far as the Smart Bar Prep materials I have located those online and will get those too. If you think of any more tips from you or others that have passed the bar please share them as I am all ears! Thanks again!

LaShuanMichelle
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:01 am

Re: 2018 February DC Bar

Postby LaShuanMichelle » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:46 pm

One tip I will share about the DC Bar is be prepared for the test environment. I was not prepared for how cold the room would be and I believe it contributed to my negative outcome. The DC Bar exam was held in the Walter E. Washington Convention Center. It was extremely cold in the room. There was a thermometer in the room and at times it dipped down below 60 degrees. That may not seem cold to some but when you are sitting still for hours at a time with no jacket (jackets were not allowed), it is very uncomfortable, I was shivering most of the time. During the exam my hands were so cold that they were numb, making it difficult to type. On Day 2, I wore socks on my hands because I couldn't find anywhere that sold gloves in mid-July. The extreme temperature of the room was a big distraction for me. The room moderators were very kind and did make requests to have to room temperature adjusted but were unsuccessful. This time around I will definitely dress in layers, thermo pants and top and a sweater (without pockets). I will bring gloves and possibly a hat (if it is allowed). I hope this information is helpful.

pausetildone
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:25 pm

Re: 2018 February DC Bar

Postby pausetildone » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:08 pm

LaShuanMichelle wrote:
pausetildone wrote:Retakers, did you get the breakdown score of each essay?


No, however I did submit a request via email to go to DC on December 13th to review the essay portion of my exam. I am not familiar with whether there is another option to get a score breakdown.



According to some of my colleagues, you may request the breakdown score report to DC bar. They will email you the score. I thought failers get the 11 parts of scores; total score, essay portion, MBE, and breakdown score of MPT1~2, MEE1~6. For some reason, the DC do not continue it for July 2017 exam. Individual request only get the breakdown score. I'd like to see how they graded. The range of score is 1 to 6, 6 as the highest? I wonder they just follow UBE system or grading differently.

By the way, what is your plan for attending the essay review session on Dec. 12th? Do you think there is any chance they will explain how the scaled essay score calculated?

LaShuanMichelle
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:01 am

Re: 2018 February DC Bar

Postby LaShuanMichelle » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:02 am

pausetildone wrote:
According to some of my colleagues, you may request the breakdown score report to DC bar. They will email you the score. I thought failers get the 11 parts of scores; total score, essay portion, MBE, and breakdown score of MPT1~2, MEE1~6. For some reason, the DC do not continue it for July 2017 exam. Individual request only get the breakdown score. I'd like to see how they graded. The range of score is 1 to 6, 6 as the highest? I wonder they just follow UBE system or grading differently.

By the way, what is your plan for attending the essay review session on Dec. 12th? Do you think there is any chance they will explain how the scaled essay score calculated?


I called DC Bar examiners and was told they discontinued providing the score breakdown because it was not a measurement of how well or poorly an individual did on a particular section, it is an analysis of how an individual scored in relation to others on the same section i.e you scored better than 50% of the individuals on Civ Pro questions.... not you got 50% of the Civ Pro questions correct. The individual I spoke to indicated that various questions were also weighted by difficulty which is an added complexity that further influences the score but doesn't necessarily tell you whether you did well in a particular area. The individual I spoke to did indicate that the score breakdown would be provided upon request.

I do plan to go to do the Essay review, which was described by the DC Bar as a true reflection of how an individual did on a particular area. I too am curious how the score will be broken down and I do think they will explain it at the Dec 12th review.

LaShuanMichelle
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:01 am

Re: 2018 February DC Bar

Postby LaShuanMichelle » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:07 am

pausetildone wrote:Retakers, did you get the breakdown score of each essay?


One option that I have not explored is the option to pay for the score through the NCBE. If I remember correctly there is a$25 fee, but I am not sure if they give more information than you would otherwise get. Do you know how the score report works through the NCBE?

pausetildone
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:25 pm

Re: 2018 February DC Bar

Postby pausetildone » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:20 pm

LaShuanMichelle wrote:
pausetildone wrote:Retakers, did you get the breakdown score of each essay?


One option that I have not explored is the option to pay for the score through the NCBE. If I remember correctly there is a$25 fee, but I am not sure if they give more information than you would otherwise get. Do you know how the score report works through the NCBE?


I have not requested NCBE score report. Someone can answer this. Sorry for not helping you this one.

Since we are in same boat, may I send you the private message for some other questions? It can be helpful for something during the essay review session.

LaShuanMichelle
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:01 am

Re: 2018 February DC Bar

Postby LaShuanMichelle » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:22 pm

pausetildone wrote:
LaShuanMichelle wrote:
pausetildone wrote:Retakers, did you get the breakdown score of each essay?


One option that I have not explored is the option to pay for the score through the NCBE. If I remember correctly there is a$25 fee, but I am not sure if they give more information than you would otherwise get. Do you know how the score report works through the NCBE?


I have not requested NCBE score report. Someone can answer this. Sorry for not helping you this one.

Since we are in same boat, may I send you the private message for some other questions? It can be helpful for something during the essay review session.


I paid the $25 and can tell you that unfortunately you do not get any additional information. It is basically the same information received via the email the DC Bar.

dcbartaker
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:53 pm

Re: 2018 February DC Bar

Postby dcbartaker » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:56 pm

timesnewboston wrote: First time taker. Anyone know when laptop registration opens and closes for the February 2018 DC bar exam?



Can't find the answer to this either? ...Anyone?




Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FinallyPassedTheBar, Google Adsense [Bot] and 15 guests