2018 February DC Bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
jacketyellow

Bronze

Re: 2018 February DC Bar

Post by jacketyellow » Wed May 16, 2018 6:13 pm

lupinthethird wrote:Does anyone who only took MBE or MEE/MPT part see your name on the list? 8)
A friend of mine took one part, and her name appears on the list. So, whatever information someone gave -- people, who only take one part of the exam and then pass, will not see their name on this list and must wait for an email -- was totally wrong and inaccurate.

autodoor

New

Post by autodoor » Wed May 16, 2018 6:14 pm

:cry: my boss sent me the sweetest email about how awesome I am anyway and now I can't stop crying. Ugh the worst part about this is TELLING people I failed AGAIN for the FOURTH TIME. Which is why I didn't tell many people I was retaking. :roll: The good thing is, it's four times in two different states, so I could retake DC if I wanted to--I still have two more chances to pass DC before I'm banned. I'm just really thinking this isn't for me though. I already have a pretty fulfilling career in a slightly different industry (policy, not law), so I just don't know if it's worth trying again because clearly this is not working.

anandamide

New

Post by anandamide » Wed May 16, 2018 6:39 pm

autodoor wrote::cry: my boss sent me the sweetest email about how awesome I am anyway and now I can't stop crying. Ugh the worst part about this is TELLING people I failed AGAIN for the FOURTH TIME. Which is why I didn't tell many people I was retaking. :roll: The good thing is, it's four times in two different states, so I could retake DC if I wanted to--I still have two more chances to pass DC before I'm banned. I'm just really thinking this isn't for me though. I already have a pretty fulfilling career in a slightly different industry (policy, not law), so I just don't know if it's worth trying again because clearly this is not working.
I am so sorry. I tried to send you a PM but I can’t figure it out. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk.

Mjevans610

New

Post by Mjevans610 » Wed May 16, 2018 6:40 pm

I passed!!!!!! This was my third try but my first time taking DC. It is possible. No one give up!!!! I used Barbri the first and second time but third time got an amazing tutor. Just remember like still moves.... I am still planning a wedding. I still travelled. I still played tennis. Do not let “failure” define you.

jrstephens1991

Bronze

Post by jrstephens1991 » Wed May 16, 2018 6:56 pm

Mjevans610 wrote:I passed!!!!!! This was my third try but my first time taking DC. It is possible. No one give up!!!! I used Barbri the first and second time but third time got an amazing tutor. Just remember like still moves.... I am still planning a wedding. I still travelled. I still played tennis. Do not let “failure” define you.
How was your MBE score in comparison to the Barbri midterms?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

perplixityparanoia

New

Post by perplixityparanoia » Wed May 16, 2018 6:56 pm

bartaker500 wrote:
lupinthethird wrote:Does anyone who only took MBE or MEE/MPT part see your name on the list? 8)
The list is short a few people from the number they said passed (294). Anyone else that took one portion not see their name?
The notice says it contains the names of 294 successful applicants.

But the list is short of 294 applicants. Did anyone count?

JDtoEsq

New

Post by JDtoEsq » Wed May 16, 2018 7:03 pm

I passed.1& DONE! Congratulations to all of those who were successful, and to those who were not; DON'T GIVE UP!

JDtoEsq

New

Post by JDtoEsq » Wed May 16, 2018 7:08 pm

Also, I still think the Committee needs to rethink its process. In the future, they should at least provide a date.

jrstephens1991

Bronze

Post by jrstephens1991 » Wed May 16, 2018 7:14 pm

Have you guys received emails yet?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

timesnewboston

New

Post by timesnewboston » Wed May 16, 2018 7:21 pm

I'm so glad I passed but I had mentally prepared myself over the last week to retake, and I really feel for those who will have to. You will get it your second try! you were already 90% ready for the bar, so think of it like you're 90% there. I confess I was registered for the July 2017 bar and had severe anxiety and depressive episodes the few weeks leading up and ending up dead no-showing on test day with no call in or email. I took time off of my life in the city to go home and study from mid November all the way into February and also was in counseling and practicing meditation to deal with my anxiety and depression (also started medication and plan to stay on it for the foreseeable future). I am in such a better place because of it, but it was really a struggle. So in a way this was my second try. Good luck to the retakers, you will be SO much stronger for staying the course and accomplishing it.

Krissynateylee

Bronze

Post by Krissynateylee » Wed May 16, 2018 7:31 pm

I'm seeing things...
Last edited by Krissynateylee on Wed May 16, 2018 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jrstephens1991

Bronze

Post by jrstephens1991 » Wed May 16, 2018 7:32 pm

timesnewboston wrote:I'm so glad I passed but I had mentally prepared myself over the last week to retake, and I really feel for those who will have to. You will get it your second try! you were already 90% ready for the bar, so think of it like you're 90% there. I confess I was registered for the July 2017 bar and had severe anxiety and depressive episodes the few weeks leading up and ending up dead no-showing on test day with no call in or email. I took time off of my life in the city to go home and study from mid November all the way into February and also was in counseling and practicing meditation to deal with my anxiety and depression (also started medication and plan to stay on it for the foreseeable future). I am in such a better place because of it, but it was really a struggle. So in a way this was my second try. Good luck to the retakers, you will be SO much stronger for staying the course and accomplishing it.
Did you take Barbri? What was your midterm/actual MBE score?

dcbartaker

New

Post by dcbartaker » Wed May 16, 2018 7:51 pm

Krissynateylee wrote:The list seems to have 220 names and not 294...are the rest the ones who took one portion?
Nope, I took one portion and my name is on there.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hanner22

New

Post by hanner22 » Wed May 16, 2018 7:59 pm

Krissynateylee wrote:The list seems to have 220 names and not 294...are the rest the ones who took one portion?
I only sat for one day & I’m on the list so I don’t know if that’s it. I’m counting 294 though?

Krissynateylee

Bronze

Post by Krissynateylee » Wed May 16, 2018 8:00 pm

Nope its 294, I'm seeing things... :(

Mjevans610

New

Post by Mjevans610 » Wed May 16, 2018 8:39 pm

jrstephens1991 wrote:
Mjevans610 wrote:I passed!!!!!! This was my third try but my first time taking DC. It is possible. No one give up!!!! I used Barbri the first and second time but third time got an amazing tutor. Just remember like still moves.... I am still planning a wedding. I still travelled. I still played tennis. Do not let “failure” define you.
How was your MBE score in comparison to the Barbri midterms?

I don't see my scores yet just that my name is on the past list! I did not do barbri this time around so I would not be able to say this time around but the previous two times I used barbri I would say my barbri score and MBE score were pretty close together

hanner22

New

Post by hanner22 » Wed May 16, 2018 10:13 pm

Is anyone still waiting on character & fitness?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ASMLAW

New

Post by ASMLAW » Wed May 16, 2018 11:50 pm

hanner22 wrote:Is anyone still waiting on character & fitness?
Yes.

Krissynateylee

Bronze

Post by Krissynateylee » Thu May 17, 2018 3:04 am

Can't sleep :( any of the july retakers interested in forming a study group? Need motivation:(

dogzncatz

New

Post by dogzncatz » Thu May 17, 2018 3:52 am

*Attention: 3am vent*

Didn't pass. This was my first time taking any bar exam. What I'm really nervous about is seeing my exam. I will be okay if I passed one part, or have a good handle on what I need to do differently.

If I just totally fucked up the whole thing, I'm gonna panic. I have no choice but to work and I don't know if I can start from scratch again. How would I even begin?? Ugh. And we gotta wait 10 days for the score email? I need to plan for July and the clock is seriously ticking.

Times like these, I try to remember to be grateful. I'm not gonna be a persnickety bitter asshole. My second MPT was shit. My time management wasn't good. I need to IRAC better. I need to be faster and more decisive on MC questions. I'm gonna figure out what I need to do differently and do it.

I really just want to get started on SOMETHING. I have been on the edge of my seat, stomach churning since May 5. I gotta tell my boss if my hours need to be adjusted and what my plan is. I need to budget accordingly. I need to know what to study and if I need to buy more materials. I need to budget for those materials and for the July travel. I really hope it doesn't take 10 days.. but judging from *um* past experiences, I'm going to expect 10 full days. And assume they meant working days. :roll:

I've treated the committee with nothing but respect. Did everything on time and followed the instructions for exam days to a T. Was polite to everyone, always. Meanwhile at the exam, I see study materials all over the damn place and no one cares. Guy in front of me is pulling up outlines in Word two seconds before we start MEE. (Ok...not going to be bitter, breathe...). I'm ok with my name not being on the list. I really just would like general respect for my money, time, and for the exam rules.

Anyone who has any kind of feedback, thoughts, experiences, or just wants to vent w/ no filter- you can message me directly. And I'm down for a study group w/ others. Congratulations to everyone who passed, for real. The bar exam is something else..

Krissynateylee

Bronze

Post by Krissynateylee » Thu May 17, 2018 7:01 am

dogzncatz wrote:*Attention: 3am vent*

Didn't pass. This was my first time taking any bar exam. What I'm really nervous about is seeing my exam. I will be okay if I passed one part, or have a good handle on what I need to do differently.

If I just totally fucked up the whole thing, I'm gonna panic. I have no choice but to work and I don't know if I can start from scratch again. How would I even begin?? Ugh. And we gotta wait 10 days for the score email? I need to plan for July and the clock is seriously ticking.

Times like these, I try to remember to be grateful. I'm not gonna be a persnickety bitter asshole. My second MPT was shit. My time management wasn't good. I need to IRAC better. I need to be faster and more decisive on MC questions. I'm gonna figure out what I need to do differently and do it.

I really just want to get started on SOMETHING. I have been on the edge of my seat, stomach churning since May 5. I gotta tell my boss if my hours need to be adjusted and what my plan is. I need to budget accordingly. I need to know what to study and if I need to buy more materials. I need to budget for those materials and for the July travel. I really hope it doesn't take 10 days.. but judging from *um* past experiences, I'm going to expect 10 full days. And assume they meant working days. :roll:

I've treated the committee with nothing but respect. Did everything on time and followed the instructions for exam days to a T. Was polite to everyone, always. Meanwhile at the exam, I see study materials all over the damn place and no one cares. Guy in front of me is pulling up outlines in Word two seconds before we start MEE. (Ok...not going to be bitter, breathe...). I'm ok with my name not being on the list. I really just would like general respect for my money, time, and for the exam rules.

Anyone who has any kind of feedback, thoughts, experiences, or just wants to vent w/ no filter- you can message me directly. And I'm down for a study group w/ others. Congratulations to everyone who passed, for real. The bar exam is something else..
I feel everything you're feeling and more, i guess new members can't p.m. eachother email me at cpamba@iu.edu if you're serious about that study group. I couldn't wait another 10 days for my score breakdown so i paid the $25 to NCBE for my MBE results so i can start drafting a study plan.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MCJaruzelski

New

Post by MCJaruzelski » Thu May 17, 2018 8:13 am

Where are people able to see their MBE scores? I can't find them.

MCJaruzelski

New

Post by MCJaruzelski » Thu May 17, 2018 8:32 am

And for anybody who didn't pass:

The bar exam is Stupid and Bad. It isn't a test of knowledge or legal analysis abilities. It's a game where they don't tell you all the rules and you're tested on how well you follow the rules that they don't explicitly give you.

For future studying, I highly recommend using Emmanuel's MBE guide. It's a wonderful resource that will help you study much more efficiently.

This time around, I did less cramming and more short, punctuated study sessions, and that made a huge difference I think. This may not be an option for everybody, but if you can do that, give it a try.

jjjddd

New

Post by jjjddd » Thu May 17, 2018 8:54 am

Krissynateylee wrote:Can't sleep :( any of the july retakers interested in forming a study group? Need motivation:(
February 1st time taker and failed....Im very interested in being included in any study/motivation group for July., please.

DGPHMP

New

Post by DGPHMP » Thu May 17, 2018 9:32 am

About a week into bar prep I realized that watching hours of video lectures wasn’t doing anything for me. So I began to do essays all day every day and between my bar prep program (themis) and adaptibar I did over 3500 mbe questions.

For the essay questions I did all of the ones given to me by themis plus I did past MEE essays released from 2012-July 2017. When I was done doing them I would review my answer and then type out word for word the model answers. The one thing that was consistent in each jurisdictions’ model answer (because each UBE jurisdiction has their own model answers for the MEE and MPT) was clearly IRAC’d essays with bold headlines and sub headlines.

Regarding my 3500+ MBE questions I printed out the ones I got wrong and I read in detail why my answer was wrong and the analysis for the right answer.

It was a lot of work! I studied 7 days a week 10+ hours a day. I probably over studied but I did that because I wanted to only take the exam once and I know my weaknesses. I know I am not the type of student that reads something once and gets it. My hard work obviously paid off because I passed the Feb bar exam and it was my first try.

You guys can do this and the only person that is holding you back is you. You got through the lsat, you passed the mpre, you graduated law school, and you can slay this bar exam too.

Now end your pitty party, master IRAC, and go kill it in July.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”