FEB 2018 Bar exam Hangout thread!

Banana1
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:49 am

FEB 2018 Bar exam Hangout thread!

Postby Banana1 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:35 pm

we are in this together!

User avatar
RCinDNA
Posts: 273
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:55 pm

Re: FEB 2018 Bar exam Hangout thread!

Postby RCinDNA » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:15 pm

Second time = the last time. Keep the energy and motivation up!

Banana1
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:49 am

Re: FEB 2018 Bar exam Hangout thread!

Postby Banana1 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:33 am

Which course are you doing?

User avatar
RCinDNA
Posts: 273
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:55 pm

Re: FEB 2018 Bar exam Hangout thread!

Postby RCinDNA » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:24 am

Short answer: BarBri (free for re-takers) and Adaptibar for multiple choice. I am supplementing with the infamous multiple choice book (which I swear raised my actual score 20+ points - it is legit) and a local group that offers timed testing.

User avatar
bretby
Posts: 356
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:15 pm

Re: FEB 2018 Bar exam Hangout thread!

Postby bretby » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:28 am

What's the infamous multiple choice book?

RCinDNA wrote:Short answer: BarBri (free for re-takers) and Adaptibar for multiple choice. I am supplementing with the infamous multiple choice book (which I swear raised my actual score 20+ points - it is legit) and a local group that offers timed testing.

Banana1
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:49 am

Re: FEB 2018 Bar exam Hangout thread!

Postby Banana1 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:31 am

bretby wrote:What's the infamous multiple choice book?

RCinDNA wrote:Short answer: BarBri (free for re-takers) and Adaptibar for multiple choice. I am supplementing with the infamous multiple choice book (which I swear raised my actual score 20+ points - it is legit) and a local group that offers timed testing.


same question! what is the book?? I bought the barbri mini convisor did you find that helpful?

User avatar
RCinDNA
Posts: 273
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:55 pm

Re: FEB 2018 Bar exam Hangout thread!

Postby RCinDNA » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:28 am

Emanuel's Strategies and Tactics for the MBE - the 6th edition was the latest when I was studying this summer. Note that Civil Procedure was not added until relatively recently so the latest edition will not have many actual questions from the exams and may still just have questions the Emanuel's team formulated. The explanations for each question is VERY helpful. The book starts with a strategy for attack and then each subject's chapter starts with a basic outline.

*Note: I am not paid to endorse or market this book.

dp714
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:16 pm

Re: FEB 2018 Bar exam Hangout thread!

Postby dp714 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:37 am

Preemptively checking in

b290
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:28 pm

Re: FEB 2018 Bar exam Hangout thread!

Postby b290 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:03 pm

RCinDNA wrote:Emanuel's Strategies and Tactics for the MBE - the 6th edition was the latest when I was studying this summer. Note that Civil Procedure was not added until relatively recently so the latest edition will not have many actual questions from the exams and may still just have questions the Emanuel's team formulated. The explanations for each question is VERY helpful. The book starts with a strategy for attack and then each subject's chapter starts with a basic outline.

*Note: I am not paid to endorse or market this book.


This. I thought the latest Emanuel’s S&T 2 has Civ Pro? (I could be wrong, correct me if I am).

Emanuel’s infamous bec the questions are HARD. If you’re getting those right, you should be fine on MBE Day.

My $.02

User avatar
RCinDNA
Posts: 273
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:55 pm

Re: FEB 2018 Bar exam Hangout thread!

Postby RCinDNA » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:04 pm

Banana1 wrote:
bretby wrote:What's the infamous multiple choice book?

RCinDNA wrote:Short answer: BarBri (free for re-takers) and Adaptibar for multiple choice. I am supplementing with the infamous multiple choice book (which I swear raised my actual score 20+ points - it is legit) and a local group that offers timed testing.


same question! what is the book?? I bought the barbri mini convisor did you find that helpful?


Answered the first question above.

The Conviser Mini Review (CMR) is very helpful - some outlines moreso than others but the core MBE subjects covered in the CMR are pretty solid. Overall, I think that if you go through the CMR and memorize a lot of key materials, synthesize them into flash cards/outlines/whatever, then you should be in good shape. Just make sure to actually apply what you learn in the CMR outlines versus reading passively.

I can't speak to the state specific topics in the CMR, though - it seems that some non-UBE states are more prone to testing that material than others.

User avatar
RCinDNA
Posts: 273
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:55 pm

Re: FEB 2018 Bar exam Hangout thread!

Postby RCinDNA » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:09 pm

b290 wrote: I thought the latest Emanuel’s S&T 2 has Civ Pro? (I could be wrong, correct me if I am).


The 6th edition was the one I purchased and those questions were not from previous administrations but were made up by the Emanuel's staff. The years track if you ask around enough: the 6th edition was released in May 2016 and the first I hear that Civ Pro was an MBE topic was in 2015...I don't think the examiners release test questions for a year or two so actual Civ Pro questions from the last few years may not be included until later 2018.

I could be wrong, too, but I am pretty sure the 6th edition explicitly states that these are not questions from the actual exam in the intro to that chapter. I don't have my book in front of me at the moment, though.

b290
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:28 pm

Re: FEB 2018 Bar exam Hangout thread!

Postby b290 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:21 pm

RCinDNA wrote:
b290 wrote: I thought the latest Emanuel’s S&T 2 has Civ Pro? (I could be wrong, correct me if I am).


The 6th edition was the one I purchased and those questions were not from previous administrations but were made up by the Emanuel's staff. The years track if you ask around enough: the 6th edition was released in May 2016 and the first I hear that Civ Pro was an MBE topic was in 2015...I don't think the examiners release test questions for a year or two so actual Civ Pro questions from the last few years may not be included until later 2018.

I could be wrong, too, but I am pretty sure the 6th edition explicitly states that these are not questions from the actual exam in the intro to that chapter. I don't have my book in front of me at the moment, though.


That makes sense. I remember reading that the Civ Pro questions were simulated too, so you’re right. I now remember why I didn’t order NCBE Civ Pro released questions - they don’t exist :lol:

greatheights
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:16 am

Re: FEB 2018 Bar exam Hangout thread!

Postby greatheights » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:46 pm

Checking in!

Rockwell99
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:54 pm

Re: FEB 2018 Bar exam Hangout thread!

Postby Rockwell99 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:03 am

First timer, checking in.

ajmb241
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:27 pm

Re: FEB 2018 Bar exam Hangout thread!

Postby ajmb241 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:26 am

For those of you retaking - what approach will you take this time? I'm going to use the same service as last time since it's free, but how much will you follow their program? I'm trying to decide if its worth the time to do the lectures. I'm working full time so I'll need to use my time wisely. I know the programs usually start in December but we get access in early November, which is when I plan to begin studying. Personally, I'm using the Emmanuel book to supplement my MBE practice along the way. I'd love to hear the approach of anyone willing to share.

User avatar
RCinDNA
Posts: 273
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:55 pm

Re: FEB 2018 Bar exam Hangout thread!

Postby RCinDNA » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:15 am

BarBri but ignoring most of the lectures unless I am in the gym or running errands and focusing on internalizing their outlines. Reading through BarBri's CMR again - hope to have the MEE/MBE topics covered by the middle of November. Will be doing a lot of practice essays starting next week. Practicing MBE with Adaptibar, Emanuel's, and BarBri's multiple choice questions - the two former are my major go-tos.

FWIW I got access to BarBri's digital portal again once I got my bar results in early October, but took a few weeks off to gnash my teeth, rend my hair, and lie around sobbing. Also working full time now so not really trying to burn myself out like I did this summer trying to listen to 9+ hours of lectures per major topics (IIRC, Real Property and Contracts had about three to four lectures each and each was about 3-4 hours). Some lecturers are great but there were a few whose voices and lecture styles were like nails across the chalkboard for me.

MRSP
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:41 pm

Re: FEB 2018 Bar exam Hangout thread!

Postby MRSP » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:45 am

Feb 2018 taker here! I am using Seperac (amazing outlines and resources!) and Adaptibar. I also have the Kaplan book for extra MBEs as well. I think I will do 5-6 hours a day, with simulated practice exams on the weekends. What are your study schedules? Happy to have a group to support each other!

User avatar
RCinDNA
Posts: 273
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:55 pm

Re: FEB 2018 Bar exam Hangout thread!

Postby RCinDNA » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:25 am

Welcome, MRSP! Working full time so I will have to tap into the skills I learned as a part time/evening law student.
During the week: aiming for 3 hours at work and then 3 hours at home (with the tv on silent so I don't get distracted by video games).
*I also wake up pretty early so after I workout, I will probably do some form of light drilling/memory work - for example, I was up by 4:50 or so today, worked out, and ran through basic contract formation in my head .
Weekends: All day Saturday, Early mornings to early afternoons on Sunday (need some form of day off to avoid burn out)

**For me, early mornings are 5-6 am ish.

User avatar
JustHawkin
Posts: 1768
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:54 am

Re: FEB 2018 Bar exam Hangout thread!

Postby JustHawkin » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:37 pm

Checking in. Retaking after barely missing the cut for NY July 2017. Took some time today to set my schedule while working. Going to be a long winter, but the only way out is through!

verejacob
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:55 pm

Re: FEB 2018 Bar exam Hangout thread!

Postby verejacob » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:17 am

Checking in after missing by 10 points in July 2017. Relied only on Barbri at that time. MBE was okay but MPT/MEE pulled me down. There's a lot of buzz around Adaptibar and (JD Advising) One Sheets. Anybody (especially retakers) here who used it and found it helpful?

User avatar
JustHawkin
Posts: 1768
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:54 am

Re: FEB 2018 Bar exam Hangout thread!

Postby JustHawkin » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:39 pm

verejacob wrote:Checking in after missing by 10 points in July 2017. Relied only on Barbri at that time. MBE was okay but MPT/MEE pulled me down. There's a lot of buzz around Adaptibar and (JD Advising) One Sheets. Anybody (especially retakers) here who used it and found it helpful?

Seconded on the question.




Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: krispymenudo, mambar, ttix67 and 12 guests