How to notarize my bar application??? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
drive

New

How to notarize my bar application???

Post by drive » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:13 pm

I already graduated and I am away from the cities I worked during summers.

In this case, how can I get some bar application stuff notarized????

Where should I go???

NoDayButToday

Silver

Re: How to notarize my bar application???

Post by NoDayButToday » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:16 pm

Banks usually have notaries--often with no charge if you have an account. UPS places usually do, too, but there's often a charge for the service.

I had all my South Carolina bar materials notarized in Massachusetts and New York where I was living / going to school at the time.
Last edited by NoDayButToday on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:18 pm

Any notary will be able to provide you with their services and notarize your bar application, or whatever other documents you need notarized. While you have a notary handy, you should have them notarize a durable power of attorney form for you.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drive

New

Post by drive » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:40 pm

kellyfrost wrote: While you have a notary handy, you should have them notarize a durable power of attorney form for you.
Super thanks for your responses. Can you explain what you mean this sentence? My law school admin staff notarized my bar exam app but he just checked my stuff and put some stamp on it. What is "durable power of attorney form"???

drive

New

Post by drive » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:41 pm

NoDayButToday wrote:Banks usually have notaries--often with no charge if you have an account. UPS places usually do, too, but there's often a charge for the service.

I had all my South Carolina bar materials notarized in Massachusetts and New York where I was living / going to school at the time.
Thanks a million.
----Jeez, UPS charges $15 per signature. Do you know any free notary services like banks? My bank only notarizes its bank-related documents, not others.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:09 pm

drive wrote:
kellyfrost wrote: While you have a notary handy, you should have them notarize a durable power of attorney form for you.
Super thanks for your responses. Can you explain what you mean this sentence? My law school admin staff notarized my bar exam app but he just checked my stuff and put some stamp on it. What is "durable power of attorney form"???
This isn't anything related to your bar application, so don't worry about it at this time. I think you have your hands full already.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:11 pm

drive wrote:
NoDayButToday wrote:Banks usually have notaries--often with no charge if you have an account. UPS places usually do, too, but there's often a charge for the service.

Thanks a million.
----Jeez, UPS charges $15 per signature. Do you know any free notary services like banks? My bank only notarizes its bank-related documents, not others.
Try another bank. I have had documents notarized at a bank that I didn't have an account with. They did it for free.

You could also put an ad on Craigslist that you are looking for a notary and are willing to pay like $10 flat fee.

Another idea would be to contact a law firm in your area, explain the situation, and ask if they could help out. They likely have a couple notaries on staff. My legal assistant notarized a document for my wife last week, she didn't charge.

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:38 pm

kellyfrost wrote:
drive wrote:
This isn't anything related to your bar application, so don't worry about it at this time. I think you have your hands full already.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drive

New

Post by drive » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:11 pm

kellyfrost wrote:
drive wrote:
NoDayButToday wrote:
Try another bank. I have had documents notarized at a bank that I didn't have an account with. They did it for free.

You could also put an ad on Craigslist that you are looking for a notary and are willing to pay like $10 flat fee.

Another idea would be to contact a law firm in your area, explain the situation, and ask if they could help out. They likely have a couple notaries on staff. My legal assistant notarized a document for my wife last week, she didn't charge.
Super thanks. You are damn awesome.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:30 pm

drive wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:
drive wrote:
NoDayButToday wrote:

Super thanks. You are damn awesome.
If you think this thread is great, you should check out the corn challenge thread or the chewing tobacco threads.

Damage Over Time

Silver

Post by Damage Over Time » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:32 am

drive wrote:
NoDayButToday wrote: ----Jeez, UPS charges $15 per signature.
Story time: I translated some documents for a family friend once, and apparently the process required me to be present when the documents got notarized (I had no idea how this worked, but agreed). The friend wanted 3 copies notarized, and the notary at the UPS store said "it's $15 per document, but I can do it for $10 a piece :) "

The friend takes out a $20 and tells me to tell him "take it or leave it."

He and I were both like "wtf" but I guess she got the last laugh because she saved $25. We tried to get the bank to notarize the docs for free first but they refused, citing issues with notarizing translated stuff.

NoDayButToday

Silver

Post by NoDayButToday » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:41 am

The bank had a problem with notarizing translated materials?

I may be totally wrong, but I thought the only point of a notary was to be a witness to the fact that you had signed something. And that they don't have to read or know or understand the contents of what you're signing. Maybe it's a state by state thing and maybe I'm totally wrong, but I've had tons of stuff notarized through the years and I feel like only one ever wanted to look over what he was notarizing for me. And I got the impression he was just being snoopy.
Last edited by NoDayButToday on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Damage Over Time

Silver

Post by Damage Over Time » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:10 am

NoDayButToday wrote:The bank had a problem with notarizing translated materials?

I may be totally wrong, but I thought the only point of a notary was to be a witness to the fact that you had signed something. And that they don't have to read or know or understand the contents of what you're signing. Maybe it's a state by state thing and maybe I'm totally wrong, but I've had tons of stuff notarized through the years and I feel like only one ever wanted to look over what he was notarizing for me. And I got the impression he was just being snoopy.
Yes, they wouldn't do it for reasons I do not currently recall (this happened before I went to law school). When I had my bar materials notarized (at the same bank), the notary asked me what the documents were and spent a decent chunk of time looking over everything.

Maybe it's just an especially nitty bank.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”