2018 February Illinois Bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
RCinDNA

Bronze

Re: 2018 February Illinois Bar

Post by RCinDNA » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:29 pm

Do you have access to BarBri or are you using old books?

JarjarBinks2019

New

Post by JarjarBinks2019 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:43 pm

Psyching yourself out will lead to a mental block, which will only lead to diminishing memory. I experienced debilitating anxiety the first time I took this exam (I was throwing up, getting dizzy, etc.) and that hindered my ability to remember the necessary rules, which is why I failed. Train yourself to control your anxiety before the bar exam - a little stress is good, but too much of it can be cancerous. The more you tell yourself this exam is simply a technicality to practice that you need to complete rather than a life defining venture, the better you will do - I guarantee it.

Practice is key to passing this exam.The essay questions and MBE questions will replicate what you practice - reading and listening to lectures won't be enough; if you don't have enough time to listen to lectures, read outlines and practice the questions - I recommend prioritizing practicing the questions.

The last two weeks before the exam are crucial - this is the final sprint - push hard and finish strong. You should be focused on memorizing and practice. At this point, if you're still listening to lectures, you are wasting your time.

Good luck!

schow90

New

Post by schow90 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:10 pm

RCinDNA wrote:Do you have access to BarBri or are you using old books?
I'm using old books.

RCinDNA

Bronze

Post by RCinDNA » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:01 pm

schow90 wrote:
RCinDNA wrote:Do you have access to BarBri or are you using old books?
I'm using old books.
OK - I was just asking because I found that BarBri's Admin Law outline focused on federal law whereas the lecture focused on Illinois Admin Law quirks under the IAPA. The BarBri outline was pretty good but not sure how often they even test that subject on the MEE so my gut told me to learn the IAPA for the state essays and then largely ignore it for the MEE. Quizlet had some flash cards you can use to start - https://quizlet.com/12860705/il-adminis ... ash-cards/.

I do practice questions both timed and untimed. I do them timed just to get used to applying the strategies under time pressure (i.e. actively read the facts, run through the rules, etc.) and then I do them untimed when I am familiarizing myself with the topic. I mean, you want to vary your practice and eventually do a lot of questions on multiple subjects untimed and relying on your memory, but you will burn yourself out if you don't acknowledge that that it is supposed to be an ongoing process of acquisition of knowledge <-> review <-> practice. I just notice that some other applicants cut out the "practice" part and freak TFO if their first exposure to knowledge does not lead to getting a rule ingrained (because I freaked out about that the first time) and they forget that it's the practice part that ingrains the rule, hence the whole "Do actual questions and outline essays" mantra.

Also, I understand about the anxiety. I have to keep reminding myself that thousands of people pass this test every administration and that if you look at the calendar, there is enough time to learn if you use the time wisely and with a plan. If it helps, I think if you switch tasks when you feel anxiety building up, you can feel more in control of your acquisition of knowledge. I mean, if you are bombing practice questions and start getting panicked, try switching to outlining a practice essay from memory and then look at your outline to see if you missed anything and then compare it to the model answer. Or do a run through your flash cards. Basically, switch to anything where the immediate feedback loop will rebuild your confidence and feeling of control. By doing this, you are constantly cementing these rules in your head so when you get to a question, the wrong answers just seem ridiculous. I like to switch off from the major MBE subjects (which can take forever to internalize) to the minor IEE subjects that you can knock out in 30 minutes of hard review (Equity, Suretyship, and Agency are some topics you can review once, outline an attack chart to memorize, and then barely touch them for weeks because they are not particularly hard) - that way some sort of progress is constantly being made.

Megatron15

New

Post by Megatron15 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:52 pm

Hi all, how much time are people spending studying federal tax?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RCinDNA

Bronze

Post by RCinDNA » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:09 pm

Megatron15 wrote:Hi all, how much time are people spending studying federal tax?
I am reading through that outline once, maybe making a chart and some flashcards, but not much more than 2-3 hours.

JarjarBinks2019

New

Post by JarjarBinks2019 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:59 pm

Does anyone have a strategy as to identifying MBE issue spotting?

RCinDNA

Bronze

Post by RCinDNA » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:39 pm

JarjarBinks2019 wrote:Does anyone have a strategy as to identifying MBE issue spotting?
Actively read by writing mnemonics triggered by words on the page and looking for certain configurations (e.g. long fact pattern with a recording act means to look for dates, question with a bunch of dollar amounts indicates a contractual remedy question, very short evidence fact pattern = most likely hearsay or impeachment). Being very aggressive works better for me.

macgirl

New

Post by macgirl » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:37 pm

anybody have a clue or predictions for IEE???? haven't really focused much on admin, surety or personal prop..... TY

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RCinDNA

Bronze

Post by RCinDNA » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:43 am

I am thinking Illinois Civil Practice and Procedure for 1 and some sort of Professional Responsibility for another.

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:52 pm

RCinDNA wrote:I am thinking Illinois Civil Practice and Procedure for 1 and some sort of Professional Responsibility for another.
Civil Procedure is a good guess.

Its tough because there are only three (3) and it can come from a group of 20+ topics.

One (small) peice of advice for both the IEE and MEE is not to get thrown off if there is more than one subject tested, there is no rule that says there cant be blended topics in order to test more topics.

That all being said, follow the call of the question, frankly CRAC is easier to write out in practice than IRAC, do your best to state a rule, paraphrasing if necessary and in your own words, then - most importantly - use the facts and apply them to your rule to reach your conclusion.

Megatron15

New

Post by Megatron15 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:30 pm

RCinDNA wrote:I am thinking Illinois Civil Practice and Procedure for 1 and some sort of Professional Responsibility for another.

Um, what? IL PR is a testable subject on the IEE?

RCinDNA

Bronze

Post by RCinDNA » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:10 pm

Megatron15 wrote:

Yes. It sounds crazy but in July 2017, there was a question involving attorney professional responsibility and judiciial PR rules.

I know.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RCinDNA

Bronze

Post by RCinDNA » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:12 pm

ndbigdave wrote:
Civil Procedure is a good guess.

Its tough because there are only three (3) and it can come from a group of 20+ topics.

One (small) peice of advice for both the IEE and MEE is not to get thrown off if there is more than one subject tested, there is no rule that says there cant be blended topics in order to test more topics.

That all being said, follow the call of the question, frankly CRAC is easier to write out in practice than IRAC, do your best to state a rule, paraphrasing if necessary and in your own words, then - most importantly - use the facts and apply them to your rule to reach your conclusion.
Yeah, I generally study by considering which topics can be blended. Conflicts of law, ConLaw, and Family Law were blended in prior administrations, for example.

Hopefully this works out for me this time.

Sandy73

New

Post by Sandy73 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:18 pm

OMG the MBE was such a big mess, every single question I faced I had a feeling that was the non-graded one because it did not make sense at all. I took almost all Themis question's sections, but still thinking I guessed most of the questions specially in AM part of MBE. I could not even read 3 of than because the time was not enough. I agree that PM was smoother, but still feeling harder than Themis' questions. Actually, taking out the question about easement, I am feeling pretty confident with the essays part. It was pretty straightforward. At this point, I am feeling frustrated for have been dedicated 15 hours per day for 2 months studying without stop, no days off, or more than 6 hours sleeping per night, locked at home without get out even for groceries, and despite all effort I putted on it, I struggled a lot. So, I have no confidence about have made it, and the worst part is realize that I may have to pass for all those bad time again. Suck!!!

Sandy73

New

Post by Sandy73 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:29 pm

RCinDNA wrote:
Megatron15 wrote:

Yes. It sounds crazy but in July 2017, there was a question involving attorney professional responsibility and judiciial PR rules.

I know.
I also thought it was crazy. I was not expecting PR in BAR exam once we are tested on it in MPRE. However, they are the boss!!!

Sandy73

New

Post by Sandy73 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:31 pm

RCinDNA wrote:
Megatron15 wrote:Hi all, how much time are people spending studying federal tax?
I am reading through that outline once, maybe making a chart and some flashcards, but not much more than 2-3 hours.
"fed tax has not been tested in ILBAR in the last 20 years. So, there are two options, or they will do that pretty soon, or won't do it anymore :P

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

RCinDNA

Bronze

Post by RCinDNA » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:11 pm

I spent 1 hour on Tax but I did well in tax class so did not need to learn anything. Thank whatever gods exist that i reviewed Illinois Hearsay exceptions. I hope I got 2 points out of my very brief essay.

Go4broke

New

Post by Go4broke » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:26 pm

Well, I’m stressed out. I can’t stop thinking about the exam. I felt pretty good walking out of the multiple choice, but I’ve never been a strong multiple choice taker. It was my first time taking a real bar prep. The thing that really bothers me is two essays. I blanked on the real property and civ pro.

I made complete crap up for the civ pro and I put bits and pieces together for the property but I mixed up the vocabulary.

IEE wasn’t bad. I’m worried how they grade the two essays. If I’m looking at 1s on both of those, I think I’m toast.

I went back to work today and just ran numbers nonstop for hours on what possible outcomes could be upon personal grading. I can’t account for my peers though.

I did 100 MBEs when I came back home just to see my average score. March 30th can’t come soon enough.

RCinDNA

Bronze

Post by RCinDNA » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:08 pm

Civ Pro was weird. Most of us studied Rule 11 sanctions and have a general understanding of discovery sanctions but this question was ultra specific. I feel your pain.

Go4broke

New

Post by Go4broke » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:45 pm

Here is the way that I'm looking at it.

My answer was very vague and I even threw in Due Process.

I got one section correct, but I expect that to be maybe worth 10 percent of the answer. So lets just say that I got a 1 on this answer...
That leaves me with the Real Property. I mixed all of my vocabulary up. Even though I answered the question, I still missed several main points and mistated law. Lets call that one a 1 as well.

IEE went well except Evidence was a little shakey because I was in a rush. I didn't get to do a full analysis. Let's call that a 3 or a 2. I know I picked up the Contracts and Wills perfectly. So let's call it an average of a 3 overall for the IEE.

Now, an average of a 3 on the IEE, an average of a 2.8 on the MEE more than likely, that is an average of a 2.9 for the essays. Not including the MPT that I had to rush through at the end. So we will call it a 2.9 just for the heck of it. 3.22 to 3.55 in February is the average respectively for essays. Historically, that would probably put me around a 121. I needed a 266 combined so that means I needed a 145 at a minimum and in the past few exams, I know that we have been very very low.

A 145 MBE is in the 81st percentile for February 2017. That likelihood is low. I need 2's on each one at a minimum and we can't even talk about specifics on this forum for someone to really give us a good idea of what grade I'm looking at.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RCinDNA

Bronze

Post by RCinDNA » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:17 pm

I do not think you should dwell on the CivPro essay. It was so brief that it is possible that a good answer on either section could get close to full credit. It was a very specific sanction being tested and if you knew which it was, that answer could have been addressed in two sentences. Most of us most likely had to scrape together an answer based on general knowledge of Rule 11 and Rule 26 sanctions because, once again, this was literally an ultra specific answer that technically would not even require analysis. That particular question is literally addressed in a single sentence in a paragraph of BarBri’s CMR and you never see this in practice because it falls under the rubric of discovery sanctions.

Also, if it makes you feel better, Evidence does not lend itself to essays. Short answers usually suffice. I think if anything, they realized we would all have nervous breakdowns if we could only address these using Illinois distinctions and I hope the fact that they threw us a bone by allowing us to talk about the FRE means they wil be lenient. Also, I am pretty sure I messed this one up, too, so I am extra hopeful for soft grading there.

Real Property is always a beast.

aleeforever

New

Post by aleeforever » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:35 pm

RCinDNA wrote:I do not think you should dwell on the CivPro essay. It was so brief that it is possible that a good answer on either section could get close to full credit. It was a very specific sanction being tested and if you knew which it was, that answer could have been addressed in two sentences. Most of us most likely had to scrape together an answer based on general knowledge of Rule 11 and Rule 26 sanctions because, once again, this was literally an ultra specific answer that technically would not even require analysis. That particular question is literally addressed in a single sentence in a paragraph of BarBri’s CMR and you never see this in practice because it falls under the rubric of discovery sanctions.

Also, if it makes you feel better, Evidence does not lend itself to essays. Short answers usually suffice. I think if anything, they realized we would all have nervous breakdowns if we could only address these using Illinois distinctions and I hope the fact that they threw us a bone by allowing us to talk about the FRE means they wil be lenient. Also, I am pretty sure I messed this one up, too, so I am extra hopeful for soft grading there.

Real Property is always a beast.
I am applying for the July exam but currently I have no clue of what I should do about IEE. Just took CA bar so the MBE and MEE parts are still fresh in my memory, but it seems like there are too many subjects to prepare for the 3 IEE questions. I don't know what materials I should get to start the IEE preparation. Any suggestion?

aleeforever

New

Post by aleeforever » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:19 pm

rahulg91 wrote:If anyone wants Critical Pass MBE Flashcards, I got them. $80.
OMG I just registered and I just couldn't find the PM button to click! PM me if you see this and I'd like to ask about some material purchasing stuff.

RCinDNA

Bronze

Post by RCinDNA » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:50 pm

Unfortunately, the IEE does present you with randomness. I prepared very intently this time and was lucky that I recalled a few nuances. And sadly, there is a chance Wvidence could be tested because it was tested this summer so this seems to be a favorite. All you can do is read the IL distinctions and hope you are not wasting time.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”