Any chance to transfer my NY UBE to NJ?

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
beth818

New

Any chance to transfer my NY UBE to NJ?

Postby beth818 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:50 pm

Hey, guys, I knew years ago people would take NY bar and NJ bar at the same time for three days, but I didn't take the NJ part when I took the NY bar in 2014 feb.
I passed the 2014 feb bar and got admitted in the NY in August 2014, but now for personal reasons, I need to get admitted in NJ too, however, do you anybody know is there any chance that I could transfer my UBE of NY to NJ somehow, so that I only need to take NJ state law part and skip the UBE.
Also I found out there is a MBE 3 years limitation transfer on NJ bar website, I'm very confused about UBE and MBE? what is MBE tho? are they the same thing?
obviously my 2014 feb score has passed the 3 yr limitation already, does that mean I have to take this whole NJ bar including the UBE part all over again>??
thank you so much guys if you know the answer.

cnk1220

Silver

Re: Any chance to transfer my NY UBE to NJ?

Postby cnk1220 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:07 am

beth818 wrote:Hey, guys, I knew years ago people would take NY bar and NJ bar at the same time for three days, but I didn't take the NJ part when I took the NY bar in 2014 feb.
I passed the 2014 feb bar and got admitted in the NY in August 2014, but now for personal reasons, I need to get admitted in NJ too, however, do you anybody know is there any chance that I could transfer my UBE of NY to NJ somehow, so that I only need to take NJ state law part and skip the UBE.
Also I found out there is a MBE 3 years limitation transfer on NJ bar website, I'm very confused about UBE and MBE? what is MBE tho? are they the same thing?
obviously my 2014 feb score has passed the 3 yr limitation already, does that mean I have to take this whole NJ bar including the UBE part all over again>??
thank you so much guys if you know the answer.

Yeah you would have to take the NJ exam which is now called the "UBE" its the uniform bar exam- meaning state law is no longer tested. The UBE consists of the MBE + 6 essays on fundamental principles of law and 2 MPTs.

NY and NJ are both UBE now. I recently took the NY exam and transferred my score to NJ (I have a UBE score)...the procedures have changed from 2016 forward.

So to answer your question, because you took the bar in 2014 when NY and NJ were not UBE states your score was not a "UBE" score by definition, so you don't have a UBE score to transfer- so if you want to now be barred in NJ you need to take the NJ exam which is the UBE exam, a 2 day exam where day 1 is the MEE/MPT and day 2 is the mbe (200 multiple choice).
Hope that makes sense!

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum�