Understanding NY Feb.17 Score Report Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
msoliman22

New

Understanding NY Feb.17 Score Report

Post by msoliman22 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:52 pm

I didn't pass Feb.17 and I'm trying to understand my scores and where I'm at to get improved. I don't understand how to interpret the scores whether I pass one essay or some of them. I would appreciate you help understanding them.

MBE 114.9
MEE 1: 54.62
MEE 2: 46.17
MEE 3: 49.56
MEE 4: 44.45
MEE 5: 44.10
MEE 6: 42.92
MPT 1: 42.16
MPT 2: 41.60

teaearlgreyhot

New

Re: Understanding NY Feb.17 Score Report

Post by teaearlgreyhot » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:13 pm

Here's how the scoring was explained to me by my bar prep class: In NY the passing score is 266. The MBE and the written portions (collectively), each count for 50% of your overall score. So, you're looking for a score of 133 on the MBE and an average written score of 133 on the essay/mpt portion for a total score of 266.

On each of the essays, and the MPTs, you want a score of approximately 50 (scores can range from 20 to 80). If you scored above 50 on any essay or MPT, it helps you toward passing, and if you score below 50, it would weigh you down. However, stronger essays can help make up for your weaker ones, as could a high MBE score.

I hope that helps!

ConfusedL1

Bronze

Post by ConfusedL1 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:14 am

Those are like 480 added up, right?

Why doesn't NY just give people the weighted scores?

verejacob

New

Post by verejacob » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:24 am

These are scaled scores and not weighted scores. With these numbers, the OP probably got final UBE score in the range of 220-235.

verejacob

New

Post by verejacob » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:33 am

One typically needs to get a scaled score of 50+ in each essay as well as each MPT. Anything below 50 will pull down the weighted score. MBE - one is in a comfortable position if scaled score is above 133. Anything lower than that means one would need to do well in the essay and MPT portion to pull the total numbers up.

JoeSeperac

Post by JoeSeperac » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:56 am

Between 2010-2017, the lowest passing essay score for a NY bar exam administration was 46.81 (J10) while the highest was 51.77 (F16). This means that if you had a score of 46.81 on an essay for the J10 NY bar exam, it was an exactly passing essay while in F16, you needed a score of 51.77 for the essay to be exactly passing. I expect a score of 48 to be exactly passing for the J17 NY exam.

The score report I made for these results is here:
http://seperac.com/pdf/Score%20Analysis%20UBE%20F17.pdf

The above examinee needed a 266 to pass the February 2017 NY bar exam but scored a 232. The WORST exam item (based on how many UBE points away from passing) was MBE: Constitutional Law where the examinee was -7.9 UBE points away from passing. The next WORST exam item was MBE: Torts where the examinee was -6.5 UBE points away from passing. Your next WORST exam item was MPT2: Brief (Facts/Conclusion) where the examinee was -4.8 UBE points away from passing. You can see a full breakdown of each component on the first page of the score report.

A reminder to failing examinees - if you send me your scores, I will send you a score report like the one above. I explain it here:
http://seperac.com/scoreform.php

Currently, I have a 12 page NY report and I am working on reports for other states (until I have a large enough sample from a state, if you are in a different UBE state, I just convert your scores to NY scores and then send you the 12 page NY report).

If you are in a non-UBE state (e.g. California), while I can't send you a score report, I can give you a breakdown of your MBE subscores:
http://seperac.com/subscoreform.php

Finally, if you are waiting on UBE results, the UBE Score estimator will give you the best idea of whether you passed. It is pretty accurate for first-time domestic examinees (it may not predict your exact score, but if it tells you you should pass, you should pass):
http://seperac.com/zcalc-passcalc.php

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”