Final Practice MBE Score VS Actual MBE Scaled Score (if released) Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
scard

New

Re: Final Practice MBE Score VS Actual MBE Scaled Score (if released)

Post by scard » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:32 pm

MAwannabeCAatty wrote:
TheJuryMustDie wrote:
MAwannabeCAatty wrote:I really appreciated this thread while waiting for results, so I figured I would provide my own now:

Barbri midterm/full-length test in early July: 156/200
PMBR full-length test: 155/200
Barbri final refresher: 84/100
MBE score: 170.6

I didn't think I would get the same "boost" that Barbri promised after the practice test since I was in good shape then, but I still did!
Wow! Impressive! Many congratulations!
Thank you! If it helps anyone, I did my full Barbri program and one of those three-day PMBR courses. The PMBR course came with hundreds of additional questions, so I did 5/subject from that book every morning before starting my regular Barbri program for the day. I also really paid attention to questions I got wrong and read those explanations (I tried the writing the rule out for every wrong question thing, but didn't really keep up with it). And this wasn't specifically for multiple choice, but the best thing I did was reviewing the Critical Pass flashcards with a few friends every evening.

I found that the real MBE felt pretty similar, difficulty-wise, to the practice tests I had done. And for those who aren't sure if it's good or bad that they finished early, I finished both sessions early, the afternoon session by at least half an hour.
I love you for saying that. I did about 3100 practice mbes with an average of 75-85% on the 4 practice exams. On exam day I finished 20 minutes early in the morning session and 25-30 minutes early on the afternoon session. If I get a 170 scaled mbe score like you did, I passed the CBX on my 6th try!!

MAwannabeCAatty

New

Post by MAwannabeCAatty » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:08 pm

scard wrote:
MAwannabeCAatty wrote:
TheJuryMustDie wrote:
MAwannabeCAatty wrote:I really appreciated this thread while waiting for results, so I figured I would provide my own now:

Barbri midterm/full-length test in early July: 156/200
PMBR full-length test: 155/200
Barbri final refresher: 84/100
MBE score: 170.6

I didn't think I would get the same "boost" that Barbri promised after the practice test since I was in good shape then, but I still did!
Wow! Impressive! Many congratulations!
Thank you! If it helps anyone, I did my full Barbri program and one of those three-day PMBR courses. The PMBR course came with hundreds of additional questions, so I did 5/subject from that book every morning before starting my regular Barbri program for the day. I also really paid attention to questions I got wrong and read those explanations (I tried the writing the rule out for every wrong question thing, but didn't really keep up with it). And this wasn't specifically for multiple choice, but the best thing I did was reviewing the Critical Pass flashcards with a few friends every evening.

I found that the real MBE felt pretty similar, difficulty-wise, to the practice tests I had done. And for those who aren't sure if it's good or bad that they finished early, I finished both sessions early, the afternoon session by at least half an hour.
I love you for saying that. I did about 3100 practice mbes with an average of 75-85% on the 4 practice exams. On exam day I finished 20 minutes early in the morning session and 25-30 minutes early on the afternoon session. If I get a 170 scaled mbe score like you did, I passed the CBX on my 6th try!!
You sound very similar to me, in terms of number of questions done, percent correct, and finishing early, so hopefully you did! Fingers crossed!

Lawbrowsor25

New

Post by Lawbrowsor25 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:38 pm

I'm glad! When I was looking at these forums while studying for the bar I would usually see very high scores on practice mbe questions and was losing my mind, but my scores weren't high at all. Just keep studying and make sure you do as many practice questions as possible.
Electricella wrote:This is soooo inspiring, and gives hope, thank you so much!!
Lawbrowsor25 wrote:Simulated: 116
Overall Average on Practice tests: 54%
Themis Final: 54%
Actual MBE: 147
Essays: 161
UBE score: 308

I wanted to post my practice scores to give people hope. My overall average on practice questions was a 54%. My individual score for some subjects were at 40%. I was scoring between 65-70 % on mixed sets by the end, but I never got higher than a 70% mixed sets. My essays were always 3s and 4s and I only wrote out the graded essays and barely did practice essays. My point is I passed the bar exam with plenty of room to spare because I didn't give up and kept studying. I used critical pass and studied each answer and figured out why I got it wrong. My friend also used Themis and had similar practice scores and passed by a long shot. DO NOT LOSE HOPE.

lolarhp

New

Post by lolarhp » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:24 am

On the Kaplan final I got a 139.

On the actual MBE I got a 155.

purplelaw887

New

Post by purplelaw887 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:41 am

Can someone predict my verdict:

Barbri practice: 116/200
Still waiting on my results.. I'm soo nervous

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nightcrawler

Bronze

Post by Nightcrawler » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:48 am

purplelaw887 wrote:Can someone predict my verdict:

Some people overperform and some people underperform on the exam compared to their practice test. You could get a 120 or a 150, which probably doesn't help your nerves. But I'm there waiting too... Hang in there.

Vursz

Bronze

Post by Vursz » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:13 pm

Passed in Virginia. State doesn’t release scores, but some data points:

- used BARBRI
- midterm MBE 138/200
- final “MBE refresher” 70/100

Felt ghastly coming out of the exam and fully expected to take February. So don’t lose hope!

Cop2lawyerNYC

New

Post by Cop2lawyerNYC » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:11 pm

Nightcrawler wrote:
purplelaw887 wrote:Can someone predict my verdict:

Some people overperform and some people underperform on the exam compared to their practice test. You could get a 120 or a 150, which probably doesn't help your nerves. But I'm there waiting too... Hang in there.
Every exam is different, but in 2015, out of 77 people who reported their Barbri midterm and scaled mbe, NO ONE did worse in the actual MBE
One person got the same exact score, the second “worse performer” only saw a 5+- point increase and the remaining 75 saw an average of 18-20 point bump.
https://seperac.com/pdf/BARBRI%20PT%20S ... %20TLS.pdf

purplelaw887

New

Post by purplelaw887 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:25 pm

Thank you!!!!

the Barbri practice stimulated exam is not scaled correct?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

purplelaw887

New

Post by purplelaw887 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:28 pm

This somewhat makes me feel better.

Still waiting on my results.. I'm soo nervous[/quote]

Some people overperform and some people underperform on the exam compared to their practice test. You could get a 120 or a 150, which probably doesn't help your nerves. But I'm there waiting too... Hang in there.[/quote]

Every exam is different, but in 2015, out of 77 people who reported their Barbri midterm and scaled mbe, NO ONE did worse in the actual MBE
One person got the same exact score, the second “worse performer” only saw a 5+- point increase and the remaining 75 saw an average of 18-20 point bump.
https://seperac.com/pdf/BARBRI%20PT%20S ... %20TLS.pdf[/quote]

Cop2lawyerNYC

New

Post by Cop2lawyerNYC » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:47 pm

purplelaw887 wrote:Thank you!!!!

No. It’s raw score out of 200.

purplelaw887

New

Post by purplelaw887 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:49 pm

Cop2lawyerNYC wrote:
purplelaw887 wrote:Thank you!!!!

No. It’s raw score out of 200.
Okay well let's pray that Barbri was correct that your score will increase.

KkayL

New

Post by KkayL » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:52 pm

129/200 Kaplan Final
Actual -at least a 150 scaled. Hawaii doesn’t release scores but I paid for the NCBE score services and I met the 150 ND minimum MBE requirement to transfer.

I thought I truly bombed the MBE. I didn’t and still don’t think the Kaplan questions were as difficult as the real thing and didn’t mirror the frequency in certain sub-areas but it worked out somehow.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Post by foregetaboutdre » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:00 pm

Barbri Simulated MBE: 128
Barbri Refresher: Can't remember sorry guys! No idea where I can look it up, if anyone knows let me know.
MBE Scaled/Bar Exam Score: 151

Just wanted to pay this thread back given I looked at it religiously when I was studying. I also did essentially all of Barbri (minus the bs essay architect assignments and the first assignments of MBE questions when you didn't learn the material). Did about 500 adaptibar Qs. Would recommend doing more adaptibar in hindsight.

kradle

New

Post by kradle » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:02 am

Barbri simulated: 140
Actual MBE: 170.6

LawSch00lLurker

New

Post by LawSch00lLurker » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:55 am

Passed NY.

127/200 Barbri Midterm
64/100 Barbri Refresher

118/200 PMBR - 48/100 in the AM and 70/100 in the PM

142.2 Actual MBE
278 Overall

Good luck to all future takers.

sg1226

New

Post by sg1226 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:07 am

Themis simulated- 134/200

MBE score- 158.1

WOOOO PASSED NEW YORK!!!!!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

twitterati

Bronze

Post by twitterati » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:13 am

Passed NY!!!!!!

Kaplan midterm: 111/200
Kaplan final: 134/200
Final scaled MBE: 171
Final overall: 341

I finished about 75% of Kaplan course (wrote 1 MPT, outlined maybe 20 essays) and used strategies & tactics book in the last 2 weeks before the exam. I felt pretty crappy walking out of the exam and I have to think I overperformed on test day because even in the final weeks leading up to it, I was scoring between 65%-80% with a lot of variance on both Kaplan and real MBE questions. Good luck everyone!

Calbears123

Bronze

Post by Calbears123 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:13 am

135/200 Barbri practice

175.4 actual MBE

...I did all of adiptbar and all Emmanuel’s

rustyburger2

Bronze

Post by rustyburger2 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:27 am

I did Kaplan.

Midterm: 152
Final: 139
MBE: 163

I felt really bad after the MBE. I was especially worried because my score decreased from the midterm to the final whereas most other people had their score increase.

Protect_Ya_Neck

New

Post by Protect_Ya_Neck » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:49 am

First time long time y'all. This board has simultaneously been a source of anxiety and relief for me the last few months. I want to pay it forward to anyone who reads this and is currently awaiting their bar results, now and in the future.

I took the NY Bar and used Barbri:

Barbri Simulated Midterm: 99/200
Barbri Refresher: 63/100
Barbri Half-day: 59/100

Actual MBE: 146.0
Total UBE SCORE 293

Clearly, I bombed the midterm. At that point I was behind in the material. I had not done enough MBE workshops and questions to answer questions quickly and efficiently, and failed to even finish either section of the midterm (I randomly filled in probably 20 questions total). The midterm was a real kick in the ass for me. I spent about half a day to decompress and redoubled my efforts. I relied heavily on the CriticalPass flashcards -- I would review 1 or 2 subjects every day, take out cards that were giving me trouble and putting them in a separate pile, and then continue to review those cards more frequently. I did about 2200+ MBE practice questions, including the extra questions they give you broken down by sub-topic (Murder, SMJ, Easements, etc). Whenever I got questions wrong I would review the explanation and write it down -- that helped a lot.

I think the biggest piece of advice is to practice, practice practice. Lean into it. You can't get better at answering questions if you don't thoroughly familiarize yourself with them. There will be so many moments where you feel like you know the material and get knocked on your ass after an MBE practice set. I am not the most gifted test taker but I studied my ass off and passed. You can do it too. Don't give up! You're going to feel shitty studying for this exam, during the exam, and after the exam. That is completely normal and I wish people had told me that going into it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

EIWIsMyFetish

New

Post by EIWIsMyFetish » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:14 am

Future bar takers, here’s some confidence for you:

Barbri sim: 118
Barbri final: around 65 I think (fyi don’t do this test it’s stupid)

Real MBE: 166

Adaptibar. Seriously, that’s what did it. Did every question (started with “exclude OPE questions” then moved onto including them 3 weeks out from the exam after I finished all the old questions). Learned from each one (didn’t do that write down the rule thing). Read the explanation of each wrong answer, then moved on to the next. Never really reviewed my wrong answers.

Bought critical pass, didn’t use them (they’re just the CMR from Barbri in flash card form, and each card has a ton of info on it). Used the CMR for like 2 topics total. Re-outlined lectures from Barbri after watching and memorized those outlines.

I would say trust the system, but I did less than the system (didn’t do AMPs, Knowledge Checks, or write essays until close to the exam). Didn’t practice MPTs. Passed with a lot of room to spare.

Trust yourself, not the system. Arm yourself with the tools, then do your own thing. You know how you learn best.

doofus1985

New

Post by doofus1985 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:33 am

Passed NY!

Kaplan Midterm: 115
Kaplan Final: 135
Scaled MBE score: 148.3

Jennybee123

New

Post by Jennybee123 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:43 am

Never posted, but felt a need because I found out about adaptibar and critical pass flashcards on tls. I did not study enough in June—do not do this—but passed because of these two things, GET THEM! You will not regret it!

Barbri midterm mbe: 95
Actual scaled mbe: 142.2

fa1493

New

Post by fa1493 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:21 pm

Barbri midterm: 118/200 (probably should have been lower, guessed a bunch)
Refresher: 65/100 (guessed a LOT)
Actual MBE: 153 (as you can probably guess, I guessed A LOT)

Even if you think you guessed a whole lot on the the test, those guesses are probably based on a lot more than you think. There's a lot of latent learning that takes place during the course of bar prep. I think there was a stretch of like 30-40 questions where I felt like I had no idea what was going on and I just guessed. But again, it was probably based on more than what I thought was a shot in the dark.

Also encouragement for the MEE. Did pretty well on the MEE/MPT. I definitely missed a good chunk of the issues on every essay. For the last 3 essays, I think I only wrote two or three sentences for the last part of each question. I really do think clear and concise writing/arguing is a HUGE component. For the property question I made up the entire answer. Zero idea what I was talking about. Practice writing MEEs and MPTs. Probably of equal value as learning content.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”