Final Practice MBE Score VS Actual MBE Scaled Score (if released) Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
kyle010723

Silver

Re: Final Practice MBE Score VS Actual MBE Scaled Score (if released)

Post by kyle010723 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:42 pm

myspiritanimal wrote: I hear this a lot, but one half of the actual MBE felt a LOT harder than the Barbri midterm and refresher, so I'm not sure how to think about that..
I felt like I failed too walking out of the MBE. It’s normal given the stress and uncertainty, but you likely did better than you thought you did.

Cop2lawyerNYC

New

Post by Cop2lawyerNYC » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:58 pm

kyle010723 wrote:
myspiritanimal wrote: I hear this a lot, but one half of the actual MBE felt a LOT harder than the Barbri midterm and refresher, so I'm not sure how to think about that..
I felt like I failed too walking out of the MBE. It’s normal given the stress and uncertainty, but you likely did better than you thought you did.
A lot of the Barbri final questions look deceptively easy, though. You know there’s a trick in there, well, because it’s barbri. I would answer a question and say to myself that I prob got it wrong; they had me paranoid—but I learned a lot of the nuance. The way I look at it, if you had to wait 3 months to get your barbri score you’d think that you failed and that the questions were really hard, right?

I’m concerned with this test. I feel like I failed. But, if I could retake the MBE there are only 5 questions I would change; 5 questions that I know for a fact I got wrong. With the other 80+ questions I was unsure of, I have no idea. I could have gotten them all wrong, all right, or something in between. I’m sure there are also questions that I thought I got right but I probably got wrong. Bottom line, the test is curved. If it was that hard then everyone is in the same boat. That said, I don’t think it’s a stretch to anticipate an mbe ranking in line with how you were doing during practice.

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:03 pm

I think that’s definitely fair, if you have to wait 3 months to get your barbri score, you probably feel like you failed too. Y’all most likely did just fine. Eitherway it’s already submitted, nothing you can do now.

Jdsquared87

New

Post by Jdsquared87 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:10 pm

1st attempt-

Kaplan midterm- 99
Kaplan final- 102

Actual mbe- 125 (failed)

This go around-

Kaplan midterm- 110
Kaplan final- 136
Emmanuels final- 68%

Keeping fingers crossed that i passed this time!!!

diatribe

New

Post by diatribe » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:46 pm

Also first attempt here:

Kaplan midterm- 160/200

Kaplan final- 151/200

Extra Kaplan Practice exam 161/200

80%+ in every subject for Kaplan QBank, all 2000+ questions answered.
100% Kaplan program completion (but to be fair I didn't take some of their assignments seriously)

Actual mbe- TBD

Kaplan told us to expect to add 10-20 points to our final score in order to account for NCBE MBE scaling but after how I felt with the actual MBE, I think I'll be beyond lucky to score what I did in practice even with the scaling already added. This isn't the bs your classmate spewed every time you finished a test and he claimed he "failed." I had extra time from my AM session and counted 58 questions out of 100 that I "knew for sure" that I had gotten correct. Obviously I could still be wrong, but the figure is around 50. For the PM session I didn't even bother counting because I was 50/50 on half and lost of the other half.

Will repost this with actual MBE score come November.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HopingIPass2929

New

Post by HopingIPass2929 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:11 pm

Barbri Midterm - 161/200
Refresher - 80:100
Adaptibar, old NCBE exams - 87, 90, 81 (all out of 100)

Actual MBE - to be determined.

I come on here to post my scores so that I remember to come back and look. I am pretty sure I failed the exam; I also don’t think it’s Barbris fault or anyone else’s. I am not one of those people that do amazing and say “I failed.” I studied hard all summer. I knew my stuff. I just wasn’t in the zone on the day of the bar exam. I was distracted and I already know of over 10 questions I got wrong. I do think the questions were phrased “differently,” but I think we also had all of the material. I will come back to update after we obtain results. This is also my therapy. I’ve spent way too much time on this and Reddit since we took the exam and honestly, I have loved ones who are getting aggravated and for my own self, regardless of the outcome, I should be with them for these next few months and if I have to take this again, I know to be more serious on the day of the exam. Best of luck all.

supersonicfast

New

Post by supersonicfast » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:32 pm

HopingIPass2929 wrote:Barbri Midterm - 161/200

I come on here to post my scores so that I remember to come back and look. I am pretty sure I failed the exam; I also don’t think it’s Barbris fault or anyone else’s. I am not one of those people that do amazing and say “I failed.” I studied hard all summer. I knew my stuff. I just wasn’t in the zone on the day of the bar exam. I was distracted and I already know of over 10 questions I got wrong. I do think the questions were phrased “differently,” but I think we also had all of the material. I will come back to update after we obtain results. This is also my therapy. I’ve spent way too much time on this and Reddit since we took the exam and honestly, I have loved ones who are getting aggravated and for my own self, regardless of the outcome, I should be with them for these next few months and if I have to take this again, I know to be more serious on the day of the exam. Best of luck all.
GTFOH

HopingIPass2929

New

Post by HopingIPass2929 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:50 pm

supersonicfast wrote:
HopingIPass2929 wrote:Barbri Midterm - 161/200

GTFOH

Why GTFOH?

LurkerG

New

Post by LurkerG » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:00 pm

Barbri Midterm: 117/200
Refresher: 62/100
Emmanuel Practice Exam: 135/200
NCBE Practice Exam OPE-4 (the one in the back of Emmanuel): 78/100
Scaled MBE for July 2018: 148/200 (just got mine in this morning)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

scard

New

Post by scard » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:04 am

Anyone know when the niche release the mean score for July?

AZ123

New

Post by AZ123 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:44 am

LurkerG wrote:Barbri Midterm: 117/200
How did you get your score already?

Calbears123

Bronze

Post by Calbears123 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:46 am

AZ123 wrote:
North Carolina and Wisconsin have already released the July Bar results.

Nightcrawler

Bronze

Post by Nightcrawler » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:54 am

Calbears123 wrote:
AZ123 wrote:
Congrats! That is an awesome score. Did they release the scale? I just hope it will be a generous one this time around...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LurkerG

New

Post by LurkerG » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:19 pm

Nightcrawler wrote:
Calbears123 wrote:
AZ123 wrote:
Congrats! That is an awesome score. Did they release the scale? I just hope it will be a generous one this time around...

Thank you! I was very relieved. They didnt really release much information. They gave me a raw score for each of my essays and the total scaled score. Then they gave me my scaled MBE score with a percentile ranking for each subject. However this is all that was released online. I'll update if there is more information in the letter.

TheJuryMustDie

Bronze

Post by TheJuryMustDie » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:00 pm

LurkerG wrote:
Nightcrawler wrote:
Calbears123 wrote:
AZ123 wrote:

Thank you! I was very relieved. They didnt really release much information. They gave me a raw score for each of my essays and the total scaled score. Then they gave me my scaled MBE score with a percentile ranking for each subject. However this is all that was released online. I'll update if there is more information in the letter.
Many congratulations LurkerG! I suppose from the data from your MBE score, it may not be too difficult to guess what the national mean would be. What is your average total percentile if you don't mind me asking, please?

LurkerG

New

Post by LurkerG » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:07 pm

TheJuryMustDie wrote:
LurkerG wrote:
Nightcrawler wrote:
Calbears123 wrote:
AZ123 wrote:

Many congratulations LurkerG! I suppose from the data from your MBE score, it may not be too difficult to guess what the national mean would be. What is your average total percentile if you don't mind me asking, please?
They didnt give me an overall percentile ranking. Only for each subject but here is a copy & paste of what it says online:

"MBE INFORMATION
MBE SCORE: 148

Subject Area National Percent Below
Contracts 77.2
Constitutional Law 52.4
Criminal Law and Procedure 70.8
Evidence 55.4
Real Property 29.5
Torts 71.0
Civil Procedure 67.2

The Percent Below indicates the percent of examinees who took the MBE on the same test date and who earned a score less than the one you achieved. The values are listed for your performance compared with examinees nationally. Unlike scaled scores, percent below values do not have the same meaning across test administrations. "

I guess going off the average of all of them I would be 60th percentile? Not sure if that's how it will workout with my overall percentile though. I will say that I was very surprised with my ending percentile rankings. I was using barbri and Torts was always my worst performing subject, whereas Con Law and evidence were always by best.

Hope this helps you guys and good luck to everyone!

Nightcrawler

Bronze

Post by Nightcrawler » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:14 am

Probably Joe Seperac would be able to calculate your raw scores if a lot of people submit their data on his website. Give it a try! By the way, that is so cool that some states release the scores online. Still don’t understand why California uses snail mail.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JoeSeperac

Post by JoeSeperac » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:51 pm

LurkerG wrote: "MBE INFORMATION

Contracts 77.2
Constitutional Law 52.4
Evidence 55.4
Real Property 29.5
Torts 71.0
Civil Procedure 67.2
Based on your scaled MBE score of 148, your estimated raw MBE score was about 125/175 correct (based on my estimate of the MBE scale from J17). This means you answered about 71.4% of the graded MBE questions correctly. This places you in the 62.9% percentile for the MBE (based on national July statistics from 2011 to present). This means about 37.1% of July examinees nationwide did better than you on the MBE based on your scaled MBE score of 148.

What was your total score? I can give you some additional stats.

If I get more scores from examinees, I can tell you whether the J18 scale is better or worse than the J17 scale.
https://seperac.com/subscoreform.php

TheJuryMustDie

Bronze

Post by TheJuryMustDie » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:26 pm

JoeSeperac wrote:
LurkerG wrote: "MBE INFORMATION

Contracts 77.2
Constitutional Law 52.4
Evidence 55.4
Real Property 29.5
Torts 71.0
Civil Procedure 67.2
Based on your scaled MBE score of 148, your estimated raw MBE score was about 125/175 correct (based on my estimate of the MBE scale from J17). This means you answered about 71.4% of the graded MBE questions correctly. This places you in the 62.9% percentile for the MBE (based on national July statistics from 2011 to present). This means about 37.1% of July examinees nationwide did better than you on the MBE based on your scaled MBE score of 148.

What was your total score? I can give you some additional stats.

If I get more scores from examinees, I can tell you whether the J18 scale is better or worse than the J17 scale.
https://seperac.com/subscoreform.php
Joe, he is in the 60.5 percentile for July 2018 based on his total percentile. Or is there a reason why using J17 percentile to establish his percentile is better than this July's? His percentile should be representative for all takers this July I'd argue. I'm asking because if a 148 scaled MBE score from J17 was 62.9 percentile, then we can safely postulate that since a 148 MBE is 60.5 percentile in July18, the MBE mean for July18 should be higher than that of July17 by between 1.5 to 2.4 points?

Btw, July17 MBE was 141.7

JoeSeperac

Post by JoeSeperac » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:51 pm

TheJuryMustDie wrote: Joe, he is in the 60.5 percentile for July 2018 based on his total percentile. Or is there a reason why using J17 percentile to establish his percentile is better than this July's? His percentile should be representative for all takers this July I'd argue. I'm asking because if a 148 scaled MBE score from J17 was 62.9 percentile, then we can safely postulate that since a 148 MBE is 60.5 percentile in July18, the MBE mean for July18 should be higher than that of July17 by between 1.5 to 2.4 points?

I'll apologize in advance because this is going to be a confusing post.

First, the 60.5 average is not an accurate MBE %tile. Averaging the MBE subscore percentiles does not lead to a correct total MBE percentile. I have seen differences of up to 14%. For example, one J17 examinee with a 122 MBE had a total %tile of 12.3 (meaning his J17 MBE score of 122 was better than only 12.3% of J17 examinees nationwide). However, if you averaged all his subscores, it came to 26.1 which is pretty far off from his true MBE total % tile of 12.3

Second, the percentile I reported is not based on J17 but based on an average of July exam percentiles from J11 to J17. Since each exam differs, I find the average %tile to be more accurate than referring to the %tile from the immediately preceding exam.

Now here is where things are going to get complicated. The J17 MBE %tiles were wrong. You are correct that the July 17 MBE mean was 141.7. However, if you look at the J17 examinee percentiles on the score reports, they don't correlate. For example, an examinee who scored a 141.2 on the J17 MBE was 46.3 %tile and an examinee who scored a 142.6 on the J17 MBE was 49.5 %tile. Meanwhile, an examinee who scored a 144.1 on the J17 MBE was 53.0 %tile. So a J17 141.7 MBE would interpolate to a percentile of 47.4 when it should be 50.0.

Please note this is only an issue with J17. The percentiles for other exams were correct. For example, for F18 the MBE mean was 132.775 and an examinee who scored a 132.2 on the F18 MBE was 48.4 %tile while an examinee who scored a 132.9 on the F18 MBE was 50.3 %tile. So here the F18 MBE mean of 132.775 would interpolate to about 50.0

So right off the bat, I don't know which is wrong for J17 - the MBE mean reported by NCBE or the examinee %tiles on the score reports. For the sake of this argument, I am going to assume the examinee %tiles are correct. If so, a 148 MBE in J17 would be about 62.4 %tile.

At the moment, I don't know any examinee total MBE %tiles yet for J18 (if you have one, please submit it to https://seperac.com/subscoreform.php) so I can't say how a 148 MBE in J18 compared to J17 (ignoring the conflict between the reported J17 MBE mean and the calculated mean from the %tiles). You are correct that if a 148 MBE in J18 turns out to be 60th percentile or so versus 62.4 %tile in J17, then the J18 MBE mean would be higher than that of July 17. For example, in F17 an MBE of 136.7 was 56.3 %tile while in F18 an MBE of 136.7 was 59.5 %tile and the MBE mean in F17 was 134.1 versus 132.775 in F18.

Make sense?

TheJuryMustDie

Bronze

Post by TheJuryMustDie » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:39 am

JoeSeperac wrote:
TheJuryMustDie wrote: Joe, he is in the 60.5 percentile for July 2018 based on his total percentile. Or is there a reason why using J17 percentile to establish his percentile is better than this July's? His percentile should be representative for all takers this July I'd argue. I'm asking because if a 148 scaled MBE score from J17 was 62.9 percentile, then we can safely postulate that since a 148 MBE is 60.5 percentile in July18, the MBE mean for July18 should be higher than that of July17 by between 1.5 to 2.4 points?

I'll apologize in advance because this is going to be a confusing post.

First, the 60.5 average is not an accurate MBE %tile. Averaging the MBE subscore percentiles does not lead to a correct total MBE percentile. I have seen differences of up to 14%. For example, one J17 examinee with a 122 MBE had a total %tile of 12.3 (meaning his J17 MBE score of 122 was better than only 12.3% of J17 examinees nationwide). However, if you averaged all his subscores, it came to 26.1 which is pretty far off from his true MBE total % tile of 12.3

Second, the percentile I reported is not based on J17 but based on an average of July exam percentiles from J11 to J17. Since each exam differs, I find the average %tile to be more accurate than referring to the %tile from the immediately preceding exam.

Now here is where things are going to get complicated. The J17 MBE %tiles were wrong. You are correct that the July 17 MBE mean was 141.7. However, if you look at the J17 examinee percentiles on the score reports, they don't correlate. For example, an examinee who scored a 141.2 on the J17 MBE was 46.3 %tile and an examinee who scored a 142.6 on the J17 MBE was 49.5 %tile. Meanwhile, an examinee who scored a 144.1 on the J17 MBE was 53.0 %tile. So a J17 141.7 MBE would interpolate to a percentile of 47.4 when it should be 50.0.

Please note this is only an issue with J17. The percentiles for other exams were correct. For example, for F18 the MBE mean was 132.775 and an examinee who scored a 132.2 on the F18 MBE was 48.4 %tile while an examinee who scored a 132.9 on the F18 MBE was 50.3 %tile. So here the F18 MBE mean of 132.775 would interpolate to about 50.0

So right off the bat, I don't know which is wrong for J17 - the MBE mean reported by NCBE or the examinee %tiles on the score reports. For the sake of this argument, I am going to assume the examinee %tiles are correct. If so, a 148 MBE in J17 would be about 62.4 %tile.

At the moment, I don't know any examinee total MBE %tiles yet for J18 (if you have one, please submit it to https://seperac.com/subscoreform.php) so I can't say how a 148 MBE in J18 compared to J17 (ignoring the conflict between the reported J17 MBE mean and the calculated mean from the %tiles). You are correct that if a 148 MBE in J18 turns out to be 60th percentile or so versus 62.4 %tile in J17, then the J18 MBE mean would be higher than that of July 17. For example, in F17 an MBE of 136.7 was 56.3 %tile while in F18 an MBE of 136.7 was 59.5 %tile and the MBE mean in F17 was 134.1 versus 132.775 in F18.

Make sense?
Many thanks for this, Joe!

But it's incredibly baffling, worrying even, to have the NCBE make any sort of statistical mistakes in a high stakes exam like this! Logic dictates that there shouldn't be any difference in candidates' overall percentile and when individual subjects percentiles are averaged.It should be the same unless there are some unknown, and may I add, bizarre statistical justifications.

Does the NCBE report candidates' overall percentile in addition to the subject specific ones? Thanks for your time.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

simocm11

New

Post by simocm11 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:11 am

Based on what I have read above, a raw score of 125/175 leads to a scaled scored of 148. In other words, his raw score was scaled 23 points. Is that a typical amount of points to be scaled now that only 175 qs are graded?

Also, my jurisdiction requires a scaled 136 to pass. Does that mean that a passing raw score is somewhere around 113 raw? Since 113 + 23 (scaled points) = 136.

JoeSeperac

Post by JoeSeperac » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:40 pm

TheJuryMustDie wrote: Does the NCBE report candidates' overall percentile in addition to the subject specific ones? Thanks for your time.
Yes, a lot of jurisdictions (e.g. NY) report the overall MBE percentile. I'm surprised the above jurisdiction didn't. California even reports a local score which is the percentile for the examinees in that state only.

JoeSeperac

Post by JoeSeperac » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:45 pm

simocm11 wrote:Based on what I have read above, a raw score of 125/175 leads to a scaled scored of 148. In other words, his raw score was scaled 23 points. Is that a typical amount of points to be scaled now that only 175 qs are graded?

Also, my jurisdiction requires a scaled 136 to pass. Does that mean that a passing raw score is somewhere around 113 raw? Since 113 + 23 (scaled points) = 136.
The scale varies. It could be 30 points if you score was low or 5 points if your score was high. If J18 is like J17, a 136 would be 108/175 or about 62% correct. Please keep in mind that my MBE raw estimates are not exact. I calculate them by looking at all the different permutations in MBE subscores, but I still haven’t received enough scores to calculate all the permutations. Accordingly, you have to take my estimates with a grain of salt. If anyone wants to get a breakdown from me regarding their MBE subscores (and help me figure out all the permutations), they can submit the info here: https://seperac.com/subscoreform.php

JoeSeperac

Post by JoeSeperac » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:55 pm

TheJuryMustDie wrote:But it's incredibly baffling, worrying even, to have the NCBE make any sort of statistical mistakes in a high stakes exam like this! Logic dictates that there shouldn't be any difference in candidates' overall percentile and when individual subjects percentiles are averaged.It should be the same unless there are some unknown, and may I add, bizarre statistical justifications.
Unless the bar examiners are more transparent in their procedures, you will never know. For example, in Feb 2012, there was a rounding error on NY score reports if the scaled MBE score was either a whole integer (e.g. 126.0) or had a decimal place of .5 (e.g. 134.5). In such instances, the Common Scaled Score was incorrectly rounded up to the nearest .5. For example, if someone had a scaled MBE score of 126.0, the Common Scaled Score should have been 630 (126.0 x 5), but the Common Scaled Score on F12 Score Reports was 630.5. Luckily this was a mistake that favored examinees. One has to wonder how many mistakes occur that no one knows about. Unfortunately, NCBE tells jurisdictions to release as little information as possible. For example, D.C. does not provide failing examinees with a copy of their essays (they can only attend a 2-hour review session to review their essays but can’t copy them) which makes zero sense. Arguably, examsoft could have a feature that lets you see your essays six months after the exam. So if a jurisdiction is unwilling to release examinee essays when it could be done fairly easily, what does that tell you about the grading process?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”