Illinois C&F question: does your referral letter have this language?

whatthehexagons

Illinois C&F question: does your referral letter have this language?

Postby whatthehexagons » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:00 pm

Hi, first time poster.

I received a referral for a C&F interview in Illinois. The referral letter contains this language: "Your character and fitness application contains one or more matters of concern to the Board and the Committee on Character and Fitness. Based on disclosed or discovered information contained in your Character and Fitness application and in accordance with Supreme Court Rule 708, your Character and Fitness application has been referred to the member of the Committee on Character and Fitness listed below." I am freaked out by the bolded language. I looked at my app again and I am sure I disclosed everything, but I now freaking out I may have forgotten something, that they subsequently "discovered."

Related, has anyone in IL had one of these interviews? What should I expect? Feel free to PM me.

ndbigdave

Re: Illinois C&F question: does your referral letter have this language?

Postby ndbigdave » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:06 pm

whatthehexagons wrote:Hi, first time poster.

I received a referral for a C&F interview in Illinois. The referral letter contains this language: "Your character and fitness application contains one or more matters of concern to the Board and the Committee on Character and Fitness. Based on disclosed or discovered information contained in your Character and Fitness application and in accordance with Supreme Court Rule 708, your Character and Fitness application has been referred to the member of the Committee on Character and Fitness listed below." I am freaked out by the bolded language. I looked at my app again and I am sure I disclosed everything, but I now freaking out I may have forgotten something, that they subsequently "discovered."

Related, has anyone in IL had one of these interviews? What should I expect? Feel free to PM me.

Someone with more direct knowledge can elaborate, but from what I have been told and have read in other places this is VERY common. It is stock language and these interviews border on "going through the motions." Simply appear, answer questions, elaborate on any issues and be done.

Suprman37

Postby Suprman37 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:23 pm

Doesn't everyone have to do a C&F interview in Illinois? I know they do in Indiana. If it makes you feel any better, I haven't even gotten that far. My processor keeps coming back to me for additional information.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:29 pm

whatthehexagons wrote:Hi, first time poster.

Failure to disclose isn't the only (or even the most common) reason for denying admission to the bar on C&F grounds. Their concern is probably about something you did disclose (or perhaps their concern is based on something they learned from a person whom you disclosed).

bearsfan23

Postby bearsfan23 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:34 pm

Suprman37 wrote:Doesn't everyone have to do a C&F interview in Illinois? I know they do in Indiana. If it makes you feel any better, I haven't even gotten that far. My processor keeps coming back to me for additional information.

No, I didn't at least in IL.

If you have nothing to disclose and your references and background check out you're gtg without an interview

whatthehexagons

Postby whatthehexagons » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:59 pm

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I was a bit surprised because I disclosed everything -- to the point of being overly cautious. But, I did have a few collections bills and two credits cards that went into default (closed by the merchants). I'm of course current and have great credit now, but I guess my past transgressions still haunt me. I was also put on a brief probation (acedemic performance) in college. I've graduated top of my class from a good law school since. Are these what I should expect to talk about? This is kind of scary as you can imagine.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:06 pm

whatthehexagons wrote:Thanks for the responses, everyone. I was a bit surprised because I disclosed everything -- to the point of being overly cautious. But, I did have a few collections bills and two credits cards that went into default (closed by the merchants). I'm of course current and have great credit now, but I guess my past transgressions still haunt me. I was also put on a brief probation (acedemic performance) in college. I've graduated top of my class from a good law school since. Are these what I should expect to talk about? This is kind of scary as you can imagine.

Based on what you described here, the bolded is the most likely cause of the extra attention. Failing to pay your bills isn't nearly as bad as fraud, but it's definitely a red flag for C&F.

Academic probation (for performance) in undergrad is a non-issue.

whatthehexagons

Postby whatthehexagons » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:13 pm

rpupkin wrote:
whatthehexagons wrote:Thanks for the responses, everyone. I was a bit surprised because I disclosed everything -- to the point of being overly cautious. But, I did have a few collections bills and two credits cards that went into default (closed by the merchants). I'm of course current and have great credit now, but I guess my past transgressions still haunt me. I was also put on a brief probation (acedemic performance) in college. I've graduated top of my class from a good law school since. Are these what I should expect to talk about? This is kind of scary as you can imagine.

Based on what you described here, the bolded is the most likely cause of the extra attention. Failing to pay your bills isn't nearly as bad as fraud, but it's definitely a red flag for C&F.

I figured (and am hoping) that is all. There is an explanation for both collections and the academic performance. I don't have a great explanation for the credit cards, I am owning that. But that was also when I was 19/20 and like 8 years ago. My credit has been fully repaired since and I have been paying the closed accounts (almost done!). This is just nerve wracking. I want to be done.

ndbigdave

Postby ndbigdave » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:55 am

whatthehexagons wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

I figured (and am hoping) that is all. There is an explanation for both collections and the academic performance. I don't have a great explanation for the credit cards, I am owning that. But that was also when I was 19/20 and like 8 years ago. My credit has been fully repaired since and I have been paying the closed accounts (almost done!). This is just nerve wracking. I want to be done.

From what you have said, I would assume that is what the conversation will be about. It is something to discuss, but would not be something to keep you from passing C&F. You have disclosed it, worked to repair it and the bar likely wants to impart how important it is to pay the bills and not fall behind because one of the most common issues attorneys make major errors with is the co-mingling of clients money and attorneys with a history of financial issues (or current issues) would be red flagged as potential offenders.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”