2018 February New York Bar

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
ommbarpasser

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed May 02, 2018 11:52 am

Re: 2018 February New York Bar

Postby ommbarpasser » Wed May 02, 2018 4:44 pm

Hello,

First of all congratulations to all the NY bar passers, it was tough but we did it! And for those who did not pass, I am sorry but it does not in any way reflect your fitness as a laywer, you'll make it to the other side!

I had a question regarding the swearing in ceremony in the 3rd appellate division I don't know if there are still spots available for the ceremony in June, but I was wondering what was the difference between the large ceremony (in june or january) in the convention center and the smaller one in a courtroom (despite the fact that the location is different). Thank your for your help.

MM

kris4842

Bronze
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:04 pm

Re: 2018 February New York Bar

Postby kris4842 » Fri May 04, 2018 6:03 am

Does anyone know how they send you your written answers once you pay the $70? Do they mail you hard copies or do they email them?

JoeSeperac

Bronze
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:30 pm

Re: 2018 February New York Bar

Postby JoeSeperac » Fri May 04, 2018 10:44 am

kris4842 wrote:Does anyone know how they send you your written answers once you pay the $70? Do they mail you hard copies or do they email them?


If you order your essays in NY, you will receive a PDF of your answers by email in 1-2 weeks. It has to be by money order. I have a template letter for ordering the here:
https://www.seperac.com/bar/thank-score.php

If you are interested, I can provide you with a free confidential statistical analysis of your essays (43+ pages long). A sample is here:
https://www.seperac.com/bar/pdf/Sample% ... alysis.pdf

I've sent this free confidential MEE/MPT Analysis report to over 600 examinees over the past few years. It will tell you a lot of things statistically, including how well you issue spotted and how much you deviated from others.

kris4842

Bronze
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:04 pm

Re: 2018 February New York Bar

Postby kris4842 » Fri May 04, 2018 11:04 am

Oh, thanks so much

kris4842

Bronze
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:04 pm

Re: 2018 February New York Bar

Postby kris4842 » Fri May 04, 2018 1:53 pm

Joe, where do I send it to?

Clayton100

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:47 am

Re: 2018 February New York Bar

Postby Clayton100 » Tue May 08, 2018 12:06 am

I also have materials. how can I reach you?


Spaniard wrote:I'm taking the July 2018 NY Bar and I'm currently looking to purchase a set of used Barbri study materials.
If you recently took the February 2018 NY Bar, still have your Barbri materials [they aren't too banged up], and are interested in selling them, please contact me.

Thanks in advance.

User avatar
Spaniard

New
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:53 am

Re: 2018 February New York Bar

Postby Spaniard » Tue May 08, 2018 7:50 am

Clayton100 wrote:I also have materials. how can I reach you?


Spaniard wrote:I'm taking the July 2018 NY Bar and I'm currently looking to purchase a set of used Barbri study materials.
If you recently took the February 2018 NY Bar, still have your Barbri materials [they aren't too banged up], and are interested in selling them, please contact me.

Thanks in advance.


Reddit: Egs44

If you don't have a Reddit account let me know and I'll figure something else out.

ubebarstudying

Bronze
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:16 pm

Re: 2018 February New York Bar

Postby ubebarstudying » Fri May 18, 2018 6:38 pm

Ahhh - rock and a hard place. My 2 cents: even July '17 materials would probably work because while they are different years, July is the most (or, out of two, more) often taken exam, lots of first time takers, etc. Due to my former status as a student rep for one of the big companies, I know that people who did not pass the July exam are not automatically forced to purchase new books; they are given the option. So while this is dangerously close to a slippery slope argument and companies okay books that are technically from the prior year for examinees that retake in February, it's not as though an entire area of law will have changed - I would expect the changes are minimal from last july. Any earlier than that though, I would caution against.

DISCLAIMER: The above-stated opinion is not meant to endorse, induce, facilitate or perpetuate any unlawful sharing or distribution of copyrighted materials in accordance with TLS policy stated above reminding users that it is unlawful to share or distribute copies of copyrighted material, nor is it intended to endorse, induce, facilitate, or perpetuate any unlawful sharing or distribution of the respective intellectual property and related copyrighted materials of any bar preparation course.

^How's that for a disclaimer? I am actually asking, I have not written a proper disclaimer in a surprising amount of time.

In other...ish news, have you played the bar company vs. bar company game or considered maybe opting for an alternate or supplemental program? I suppose it depends on each individual but it occurs to me that with respect to Barbri or any of the other big companies, you would still miss certain things. Lectures, AMP (for Barbri - I think they renamed it?), online practice exams, phone and tablet Apps, etc. Are the people making these requests solely book learners? Also, if one is hypothetically seeking a gently used product for purchase...are you also purchasing a supplement or alternate program because... how would one practice a sufficient number of any type of question - whether mpt, mbe, or essays without access to the rest or mentioned portions of a program? I am going to stick to my disclaimer but just thought maybe such hypothetical individuals had not thought it all the way through...

ubebarstudying

Bronze
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:16 pm

Re: 2018 February New York Bar

Postby ubebarstudying » Fri May 18, 2018 7:17 pm

kris4842 wrote:Joe, where do I send it to?


Hi Kris,

I believe you send it to: New York State Board of Law Examiners (Corporate Plaza – Building 3, 254 Washington Avenue Extension, Albany, NY 12203)

If you look on the letterhead of your results it should list that address, which is the same address listed on the official NY Bar Exam Website: https://www.nybarexam.org/

On a related note, if you are willing to spend the $70.00, I do think getting your answers will prove helpful, but 1) as noted, your written material is $40; 2) you get copies of the essay questions but I believe the precise wording is a synopsis of the MPT's - whatever that is supposed to mean; 3) the latter and the selected candidate answers are released for free (which DOES bring you to the end of June and may be later than your liking) but; 4) the NCBE sells - in hard copy and pdf - the same materials but instead of selected candidate answers (which I believe New York slaps a disclaimer on because the selected answers are not necessarily perfect or near perfect, they are answers of people who have passed - not necessarily with "flying colors") the NCBE ones are literally described as model answers, and the MPT's come with point sheets showing where and how the point allocation was done. Long story longer, entirely your choice, but if I had to choose I would probably purchase your answers and the NCBE study aids. That's just my little pitch. If you would like, I have a friend who did both (I THINK the first time he ordered from NY, the second time he did what I just mentioned) and while I would probably have burned the materials after passing, I can reach out to him to see if he can give me the exact wording of the NY disclaimer, because I believe he bought the instant download PDF version, so he theoretically could have burned it but still access the disclaimer language from the pdf. If you want me to, just shout a reply on here (I check in afternoon/evening every day or every other) or you can contact me via my site at www.blockbusterblawg.com because it will go straight to my email.

Hope this helped!

ubebarstudying

Bronze
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:16 pm

Re: 2018 February New York Bar

Postby ubebarstudying » Fri May 18, 2018 7:23 pm

JoeSeperac wrote:
kris4842 wrote:Does anyone know how they send you your written answers once you pay the $70? Do they mail you hard copies or do they email them?


If you order your essays in NY, you will receive a PDF of your answers by email in 1-2 weeks. It has to be by money order. I have a template letter for ordering the here:
https://www.seperac.com/bar/thank-score.php

If you are interested, I can provide you with a free confidential statistical analysis of your essays (43+ pages long). A sample is here:
https://www.seperac.com/bar/pdf/Sample% ... alysis.pdf

I've sent this free confidential MEE/MPT Analysis report to over 600 examinees over the past few years. It will tell you a lot of things statistically, including how well you issue spotted and how much you deviated from others.


Okay, 3rd post in a row, but forgive me folks - I needed to say hi to THE Joe. The friend I referenced in my last post actually did use your analysis after his...second(?) attempt and he found it very useful in focusing on a certain portion (I can't remember which). In my opinion, the analysis is impressive and must take a fair amount of work so many kudos - never in a million years did I think we would cross paths, even via the internet.

JoeSeperac

Bronze
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:30 pm

Re: 2018 February New York Bar

Postby JoeSeperac » Mon May 21, 2018 8:13 pm

ubebarstudying wrote:
JoeSeperac wrote:
kris4842 wrote:Does anyone know how they send you your written answers once you pay the $70? Do they mail you hard copies or do they email them?


If you order your essays in NY, you will receive a PDF of your answers by email in 1-2 weeks. It has to be by money order. I have a template letter for ordering the here:
https://www.seperac.com/bar/thank-score.php

If you are interested, I can provide you with a free confidential statistical analysis of your essays (43+ pages long). A sample is here:
https://www.seperac.com/bar/pdf/Sample% ... alysis.pdf

I've sent this free confidential MEE/MPT Analysis report to over 600 examinees over the past few years. It will tell you a lot of things statistically, including how well you issue spotted and how much you deviated from others.


Okay, 3rd post in a row, but forgive me folks - I needed to say hi to THE Joe. The friend I referenced in my last post actually did use your analysis after his...second(?) attempt and he found it very useful in focusing on a certain portion (I can't remember which). In my opinion, the analysis is impressive and must take a fair amount of work so many kudos - never in a million years did I think we would cross paths, even via the internet.


Thanks for the compliment and I'm glad the score analysis helped.

ubebarstudying

Bronze
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:16 pm

Re: 2018 February New York Bar

Postby ubebarstudying » Tue May 22, 2018 9:03 am

It sure did, I believe he passed the following exam. Last I knew he was taking the New York portion - we live a solid 9 hours away from each other now and both stay busy, but I am assuming he passed the New York part as well. I'll have to shoot him an e-mail.

malena1000987

New
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:26 pm

Re: 2018 February New York Bar

Postby malena1000987 » Fri May 25, 2018 7:48 pm

Hey, guys, If anyone have Critical Pass flashcards for NY and wanna share/sell, pls contact me malena1000987@gmail.com.
And good luck for those who are taking bar in July
Thank you in advance

irishbarexam

New
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:38 am

Re: 2018 February New York Bar

Postby irishbarexam » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:00 pm

irishguy wrote:
JoeSeperac wrote:Great job on passing. The 2013 NY bar exam pass rate for candidates from Ireland was 35.6%. see http://www.americanbar.org/content/dam/ ... eckdam.pdf

Based on your scaled MBE score of 148.5, your estimated raw MBE score was about 125/175 correct. This is based on the 2013 New York MBE raw/scaled conversion (which is the most recent time a February MBE raw/scaled conversion was released by a state). This means you answered about 71% of the graded MBE questions correctly. Based on the F16 national statistics on the MBE (this year's statistics will not be released until next year), this places you in the 82.4% percentile for the MBE. This means that 17.6% of last year's examinees nationwide did better than you on the MBE based on your scaled MBE score of 148.5.

Based on a total score of 284, this means your written score was 135.5. Assuming that the MEE/MPT percentiles follow the national MBE statistics, scoring a 135.5 Scaled MEE/MPT score would have placed you in the 52.5% percentile among examinees nationwide (meaning that 47.5% of last year's examinees nationwide would have scored better than you on the MEE/MPT).

Congratulations again - passing as an Irish candidate is no easy task.


Thank you for the score report. You'd be surprised at how much of the law I learned for the bar was stuff I already knew. Irish law is based on English common law, and US law is roughly similar to English common law. Even identical in places; the M'Naghten rule for insanity which was on the MEE this year, is one of the first things I remember from criminal law in first year of law school at University College Dublin, Ireland.

My average written score makes sense. The first bar exam essay or MPT I ever wrote was on the bar exam itself! On the MPT, I just used the accumen I learned working as a paralegal and from moot court, so that was fine. On the essays, I just shamelessly applied the rule to the facts over and over, to scream "HEY EXAMINER, GIMME MY LAW LICENSE!!!" <- license using the US spelling so as to try to blend into the ABA applicants - hahahaha! It's licence you heretics!

I am so pleased to have passed! I feel like I've crossed a threshold in my life and career. I can't wait to take my oath to uphold to US Constitution :D



Just wondering how the whole swearing in process is going for you irishguy, fellow UCD grad and February passer here! I've got the MPRE in August and will then be hoping to be sworn in sometime before the end of 2018. Have you gone through the process of submitting your certified copies of everything? Any guidance much appreciated!

irishguy

New
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:49 am

Re: 2018 February New York Bar

Postby irishguy » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:03 am

irishbarexam wrote:
irishguy wrote:
JoeSeperac wrote:Great job on passing. The 2013 NY bar exam pass rate for candidates from Ireland was 35.6%. see http://www.americanbar.org/content/dam/ ... eckdam.pdf

Based on your scaled MBE score of 148.5, your estimated raw MBE score was about 125/175 correct. This is based on the 2013 New York MBE raw/scaled conversion (which is the most recent time a February MBE raw/scaled conversion was released by a state). This means you answered about 71% of the graded MBE questions correctly. Based on the F16 national statistics on the MBE (this year's statistics will not be released until next year), this places you in the 82.4% percentile for the MBE. This means that 17.6% of last year's examinees nationwide did better than you on the MBE based on your scaled MBE score of 148.5.

Based on a total score of 284, this means your written score was 135.5. Assuming that the MEE/MPT percentiles follow the national MBE statistics, scoring a 135.5 Scaled MEE/MPT score would have placed you in the 52.5% percentile among examinees nationwide (meaning that 47.5% of last year's examinees nationwide would have scored better than you on the MEE/MPT).

Congratulations again - passing as an Irish candidate is no easy task.


Thank you for the score report. You'd be surprised at how much of the law I learned for the bar was stuff I already knew. Irish law is based on English common law, and US law is roughly similar to English common law. Even identical in places; the M'Naghten rule for insanity which was on the MEE this year, is one of the first things I remember from criminal law in first year of law school at University College Dublin, Ireland.

My average written score makes sense. The first bar exam essay or MPT I ever wrote was on the bar exam itself! On the MPT, I just used the accumen I learned working as a paralegal and from moot court, so that was fine. On the essays, I just shamelessly applied the rule to the facts over and over, to scream "HEY EXAMINER, GIMME MY LAW LICENSE!!!" <- license using the US spelling so as to try to blend into the ABA applicants - hahahaha! It's licence you heretics!

I am so pleased to have passed! I feel like I've crossed a threshold in my life and career. I can't wait to take my oath to uphold to US Constitution :D



Just wondering how the whole swearing in process is going for you irishguy, fellow UCD grad and February passer here! I've got the MPRE in August and will then be hoping to be sworn in sometime before the end of 2018. Have you gone through the process of submitting your certified copies of everything? Any guidance much appreciated!


Wish I could provide some insight but I'm in the exact same position. Taking the MPRE in two weeks also. If you want to connect on LinkedIn or something, we can keep in touch during that process and help each other out.

User avatar
Neilt001

Moderator
Posts: 245
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:35 pm

Re: 2018 February New York Bar

Postby Neilt001 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:28 am

irishguy wrote:
irishbarexam wrote:
Just wondering how the whole swearing in process is going for you irishguy, fellow UCD grad and February passer here! I've got the MPRE in August and will then be hoping to be sworn in sometime before the end of 2018. Have you gone through the process of submitting your certified copies of everything? Any guidance much appreciated!


Wish I could provide some insight but I'm in the exact same position. Taking the MPRE in two weeks also. If you want to connect on LinkedIn or something, we can keep in touch during that process and help each other out.


Ugh in same boat. Writing MPRE in August then dealing with all this paperwork. Third department. Overseas candidate (Australia/Bermuda). It's a bit of a pain but I've already got my pro bono and character statements done. Just need to track down documents from law school and the Australia/Bermuda courts. Lots to do!

Do you reckon it's possible to be sworn in this year if I get all the docs in soon, or will the process take us into early next year?

Iamchromes

New
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:37 am

Re: 2018 February New York Bar

Postby Iamchromes » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:52 pm

Damage Over Time wrote:Former exam taker here (July 2016).

You probably want to hold off on buying lean sheets, at least. Not because they're going to be modified in some substantive way, but because they're so succinct that you want to make sure you know the law at least somewhat well before you start using them. (e.g. you won't find it useful to have a section that just says "ATTACHMENT = VALUE/RIGHTS/AUTHENTICATION" when you don't know what attachment in the world of secured transactions means).

Happy to answer any other questions about the exam and logistical stuff/the application process generally.

b290

Bronze
Posts: 274
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:28 pm

Re: 2018 February New York Bar

Postby b290 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:28 pm

Neilt001 wrote:
irishguy wrote:
irishbarexam wrote:
Just wondering how the whole swearing in process is going for you irishguy, fellow UCD grad and February passer here! I've got the MPRE in August and will then be hoping to be sworn in sometime before the end of 2018. Have you gone through the process of submitting your certified copies of everything? Any guidance much appreciated!


Wish I could provide some insight but I'm in the exact same position. Taking the MPRE in two weeks also. If you want to connect on LinkedIn or something, we can keep in touch during that process and help each other out.


Ugh in same boat. Writing MPRE in August then dealing with all this paperwork. Third department. Overseas candidate (Australia/Bermuda). It's a bit of a pain but I've already got my pro bono and character statements done. Just need to track down documents from law school and the Australia/Bermuda courts. Lots to do!

Do you reckon it's possible to be sworn in this year if I get all the docs in soon, or will the process take us into early next year?

Obviously, focus on the MPRE (failing that = a 2019 swear-in). But from what I know, it's doable. Contact the 3D & ask if you can send in your completed application (pending the accompanying documents) so at least you get the investigation process started (that alone could take a while). Contact info:

(518) 471-4778 (Phone)
(518) 471-4749 (Fax)
AD3AdmissionsOffice@nycourts.gov (email)

Calling by phone is iffy in October (deluge of calls due to July applicants); you'd probably have better luck with email then.

The actual application is no joke, so the earlier you get that done, the better. I had my CV (and attenuating docs) for the 3rd Dept but I ended up doing the NCBE application (which doesn't ask for as much info) for a different state. If I didn't have that ready to go, it would've been a bigger pain. I also tried to have everything ready to send in with the appropriate documents. I instead ended up wasting almost a month when I could've started the process by submitting my app to be supplemented later. Don't be me :lol:

I know a foreign candidate (also applying to the 3rd) who getting his law school and licensure docs from Nigeria. Be glad you're not him (he's looking at a swear-in for early 2019 at the earliest). Good luck!

My $.02

User avatar
Neilt001

Moderator
Posts: 245
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:35 pm

Re: 2018 February New York Bar

Postby Neilt001 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:34 am

b290 wrote:
Neilt001 wrote:
irishguy wrote:
irishbarexam wrote:
Just wondering how the whole swearing in process is going for you irishguy, fellow UCD grad and February passer here! I've got the MPRE in August and will then be hoping to be sworn in sometime before the end of 2018. Have you gone through the process of submitting your certified copies of everything? Any guidance much appreciated!


Wish I could provide some insight but I'm in the exact same position. Taking the MPRE in two weeks also. If you want to connect on LinkedIn or something, we can keep in touch during that process and help each other out.


Ugh in same boat. Writing MPRE in August then dealing with all this paperwork. Third department. Overseas candidate (Australia/Bermuda). It's a bit of a pain but I've already got my pro bono and character statements done. Just need to track down documents from law school and the Australia/Bermuda courts. Lots to do!

Do you reckon it's possible to be sworn in this year if I get all the docs in soon, or will the process take us into early next year?

Obviously, focus on the MPRE (failing that = a 2019 swear-in). But from what I know, it's doable. Contact the 3D & ask if you can send in your completed application (pending the accompanying documents) so at least you get the investigation process started (that alone could take a while). Contact info:

(518) 471-4778 (Phone)
(518) 471-4749 (Fax)
AD3AdmissionsOffice@nycourts.gov (email)

Calling by phone is iffy in October (deluge of calls due to July applicants); you'd probably have better luck with email then.

The actual application is no joke, so the earlier you get that done, the better. I had my CV (and attenuating docs) for the 3rd Dept but I ended up doing the NCBE application (which doesn't ask for as much info) for a different state. If I didn't have that ready to go, it would've been a bigger pain. I also tried to have everything ready to send in with the appropriate documents. I instead ended up wasting almost a month when I could've started the process by submitting my app to be supplemented later. Don't be me :lol:

I know a foreign candidate (also applying to the 3rd) who getting his law school and licensure docs from Nigeria. Be glad you're not him (he's looking at a swear-in for early 2019 at the earliest). Good luck!

My $.02


Great, thanks mate, that's very helpful! You're right, the application is no joke, and it requires waiting on others to provide docs, etc. Sounds like 2019 is doable so long as I pass this damn MPRE!

nada123

New
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:13 am

Re: 2018 February New York Bar

Postby nada123 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:39 pm

Neilt001 wrote:
b290 wrote:
Neilt001 wrote:
irishguy wrote:
irishbarexam wrote:
Just wondering how the whole swearing in process is going for you irishguy, fellow UCD grad and February passer here! I've got the MPRE in August and will then be hoping to be sworn in sometime before the end of 2018. Have you gone through the process of submitting your certified copies of everything? Any guidance much appreciated!


Wish I could provide some insight but I'm in the exact same position. Taking the MPRE in two weeks also. If you want to connect on LinkedIn or something, we can keep in touch during that process and help each other out.


Ugh in same boat. Writing MPRE in August then dealing with all this paperwork. Third department. Overseas candidate (Australia/Bermuda). It's a bit of a pain but I've already got my pro bono and character statements done. Just need to track down documents from law school and the Australia/Bermuda courts. Lots to do!

Do you reckon it's possible to be sworn in this year if I get all the docs in soon, or will the process take us into early next year?

Obviously, focus on the MPRE (failing that = a 2019 swear-in). But from what I know, it's doable. Contact the 3D & ask if you can send in your completed application (pending the accompanying documents) so at least you get the investigation process started (that alone could take a while). Contact info:

(518) 471-4778 (Phone)
(518) 471-4749 (Fax)
AD3AdmissionsOffice@nycourts.gov (email)

Calling by phone is iffy in October (deluge of calls due to July applicants); you'd probably have better luck with email then.

The actual application is no joke, so the earlier you get that done, the better. I had my CV (and attenuating docs) for the 3rd Dept but I ended up doing the NCBE application (which doesn't ask for as much info) for a different state. If I didn't have that ready to go, it would've been a bigger pain. I also tried to have everything ready to send in with the appropriate documents. I instead ended up wasting almost a month when I could've started the process by submitting my app to be supplemented later. Don't be me :lol:

I know a foreign candidate (also applying to the 3rd) who getting his law school and licensure docs from Nigeria. Be glad you're not him (he's looking at a swear-in for early 2019 at the earliest). Good luck!

My $.02


Great, thanks mate, that's very helpful! You're right, the application is no joke, and it requires waiting on others to provide docs, etc. Sounds like 2019 is doable so long as I pass this damn MPRE!


Hi, also a foreign candidate (Australian, hi!), i’m taking the MPRE in November and have yet to finish my pro bono hours (should be done by January 2019) but wondering if it’s worth getting the character and other supporting documents ready at this stage and sending them off first? Do they have an “expiry date”? Or can we only send it once we’ve completed all the requirements/exams?

Thanks and good luck!!

TheJuryMustDie

Bronze
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:27 pm

Re: 2018 February New York Bar

Postby TheJuryMustDie » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:37 am

nada123 wrote:
Neilt001 wrote:
b290 wrote:
Neilt001 wrote:
irishguy wrote:
irishbarexam wrote:
Just wondering how the whole swearing in process is going for you irishguy, fellow UCD grad and February passer here! I've got the MPRE in August and will then be hoping to be sworn in sometime before the end of 2018. Have you gone through the process of submitting your certified copies of everything? Any guidance much appreciated!


Wish I could provide some insight but I'm in the exact same position. Taking the MPRE in two weeks also. If you want to connect on LinkedIn or something, we can keep in touch during that process and help each other out.


Ugh in same boat. Writing MPRE in August then dealing with all this paperwork. Third department. Overseas candidate (Australia/Bermuda). It's a bit of a pain but I've already got my pro bono and character statements done. Just need to track down documents from law school and the Australia/Bermuda courts. Lots to do!

Do you reckon it's possible to be sworn in this year if I get all the docs in soon, or will the process take us into early next year?

Obviously, focus on the MPRE (failing that = a 2019 swear-in). But from what I know, it's doable. Contact the 3D & ask if you can send in your completed application (pending the accompanying documents) so at least you get the investigation process started (that alone could take a while). Contact info:

(518) 471-4778 (Phone)
(518) 471-4749 (Fax)
AD3AdmissionsOffice@nycourts.gov (email)

Calling by phone is iffy in October (deluge of calls due to July applicants); you'd probably have better luck with email then.

The actual application is no joke, so the earlier you get that done, the better. I had my CV (and attenuating docs) for the 3rd Dept but I ended up doing the NCBE application (which doesn't ask for as much info) for a different state. If I didn't have that ready to go, it would've been a bigger pain. I also tried to have everything ready to send in with the appropriate documents. I instead ended up wasting almost a month when I could've started the process by submitting my app to be supplemented later. Don't be me :lol:

I know a foreign candidate (also applying to the 3rd) who getting his law school and licensure docs from Nigeria. Be glad you're not him (he's looking at a swear-in for early 2019 at the earliest). Good luck!

My $.02


Great, thanks mate, that's very helpful! You're right, the application is no joke, and it requires waiting on others to provide docs, etc. Sounds like 2019 is doable so long as I pass this damn MPRE!


Hi, also a foreign candidate (Australian, hi!), i’m taking the MPRE in November and have yet to finish my pro bono hours (should be done by January 2019) but wondering if it’s worth getting the character and other supporting documents ready at this stage and sending them off first? Do they have an “expiry date”? Or can we only send it once we’ve completed all the requirements/exams?

Thanks and good luck!!


I seem to have read somewhere that the affidavits are only valid for between three to six months depending on Judicial Departments. I'd imagine you are in the Third Department being a foreign candidate; why don't you call to confirm?

All the best!

User avatar
Neilt001

Moderator
Posts: 245
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:35 pm

Re: 2018 February New York Bar

Postby Neilt001 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:27 am

TheJuryMustDie wrote:
nada123 wrote:
Neilt001 wrote:
Great, thanks mate, that's very helpful! You're right, the application is no joke, and it requires waiting on others to provide docs, etc. Sounds like 2019 is doable so long as I pass this damn MPRE!


Hi, also a foreign candidate (Australian, hi!), i’m taking the MPRE in November and have yet to finish my pro bono hours (should be done by January 2019) but wondering if it’s worth getting the character and other supporting documents ready at this stage and sending them off first? Do they have an “expiry date”? Or can we only send it once we’ve completed all the requirements/exams?

Thanks and good luck!!


I seem to have read somewhere that the affidavits are only valid for between three to six months depending on Judicial Departments. I'd imagine you are in the Third Department being a foreign candidate; why don't you call to confirm?

All the best!


Hi there, I'm also an Aussie applicant to the 3rd dept. I've already completed the affidavits (pro bono, employment and character). The only ones as far as I can tell to have expiry dates are the certificates of good standing from the courts you're admitted to and your law school, which makes sense because those are the only things that can potentially change over time. Those certificates have to be sent directly to the 3rd dept.

I'm writing the MPRE this weekend and will then order those certificates from the court/law school. And hopefully that's it!

liger

New
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:59 am

Re: 2018 February New York Bar

Postby liger » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:03 am

lolabear727 wrote:
sdphill wrote:
guyindfw1 wrote:
nada123 wrote:
Sounds great but where can i get Themis books or MBE subject outlines?

If i don't know the black letter law, would i still be able to start on adaptibar?


sent you a PM, I can email you outlines and other resources I have.


Can I get the resources too? I'm taking the NY Bar in Feb and am planning on studying early since I'm working full time.


Same here! 3 of us so far! I'm glad i'm not alone.



PLEASE send them to me too!!! 4 of us! THANK YOU!!!



Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], mlp12 and 24 guests