2018 February New York Bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Banana1

New

Re: 2018 February New York Bar

Post by Banana1 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:50 am

Willierhule wrote:
kc128 wrote:4th time taker here, finally passed NY w/ a 297.

If you did not receive the news you were hoping for this afternoon, I am SO sorry. It's literally the worst feeling in the world. I raised my UBE from a 235 to a 297 and I promise that you can too. The PM feature is disabled so unfortunately, there's no way to direct message, but please, pleaseeee deviate from traditional bar prep schedules and study the way you know how. Do as many released NCBE questions as possible. The Emmanuel S&T book & the large Kaplan book are the shit.

Best of luck to you all. And fellow counselors, YAY CONGRATS!! WE DID IT!!
I failed by 3 and its just so frustrating. Is the large Kaplan book the red one? I need help with improving my MBE scores, which gets me every time.

Emmanuel strategies for sure.

Does anyone know when they release the list of passerrs on website?

ipassed69

New

Post by ipassed69 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:36 am

@JoeSeperac

Hey Joe, I want to get on this train as well. I got a 326 with a MBE score of 159.7.

Thanks!!

Nybartaker

New

Post by Nybartaker » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:01 am

JoeSeperac wrote:
Nybartaker wrote:Joe, I am also interested to read your analysis if you have the time. My total UBE score is 317. MBE is 146.8. I am a first-time foreign test taker; studied from mid-December while working full-time. I did about 2000 MBE questions using Barbri / S&T, averaging around 60% - 70% depending on the subject. I wrote out 1-2 essays per topic and outlined / read through the remaining Barbri essays. Also did about 2 MPT practice tests. Thank you!
I agree that's a very impressive score for a foreign examinee. Are you Australian?

Based on your scaled MBE score of 146.8, your estimated raw MBE score was about 124/175 correct. This means you answered about 71% of the graded MBE questions correctly. Based on the F16 national statistics on the MBE (which serve as a good predictor of this exam’s percentiles), this places you in the 76% percentile for the MBE. This means that 24% of Feb examinees nationwide did better than you on the MBE based on your scaled MBE score of 146.8. Based on a total score of 317, this means your written score was 170.2. Assuming that the MEE/MPT percentiles follow the national MBE statistics, scoring a 170.2 Scaled MEE/MPT score would have placed you in the 99.4% percentile among examinees nationwide (meaning that 0.6% of examinees nationwide would have scored better than you on the MEE/MPT).

Did you think you did well on the written when you took the exam?
Thanks, Joe! I am Canadian.

I didn't think I did well at all on the written portion. I think everyone struggled with one of the MPTs in the morning; based on what I read online after the test, I think I definitely took a more "creative" route with my analysis.

In the afternoon, I couldn't remember the rules for one of the MEE essays, so I made up the rules. I also didn't use issue statements at all (didn't have the time), so I used keyword headings instead to save time. I did complete all the MEE essays with about a minute to spare.

JoeSeperac

Post by JoeSeperac » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:16 am

njnytaker2018 wrote:Hi Joe-

Is your 2018 chart completed? I did complete your form yesterday but if I send you an email with all of my scores would you be able to give me a breakdown like those above? Also I would like help with calculating my written score because no matter how I calculate it I can’t get close to their number. Thanks.
I just finished the calculator for the Feb 2018 NY UBE:
https://seperac.com/zcalc-ube-f18.php

The calculator will accurately estimate a Total Score for the Feb 2018 New York UBE bar exam administration based on the scores you enter. You can use this calculator to test various scoring scenarios. The default scores in the calculator are the average scores sent to me by failing examinees so far. To anyone that failed the F18 UBE exam, if you would like to know more your scores (including your raw MBE scores), please fill out the Primary Information and UBE Grading Sheet Information sections of my Retaker Advice Form to receive a free 11 page score report:
https://seperac.com/scoreform.php

Nykidj

New

Post by Nykidj » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:58 am

Hi Joe, I appreciate the score breakdown if you have the chance. Total score is 266 and MBE is 132.2. Thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

d93saurus

New

Post by d93saurus » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:59 am

JoeSeperac wrote:
d93saurus wrote:Hi Joe - could you please help me figure out my percentile ranking? I scored 327 overall and a scaled MBE of 174.2.
Based on your scaled MBE score of 174.2, your estimated raw MBE score was about 159/175 correct. This means you answered about 91% of the graded MBE questions correctly. Based on the F16 national statistics on the MBE (which serve as a good predictor of this exam’s percentiles), this places you in the 99.6% percentile for the MBE. This means that 0.4% of Feb examinees nationwide did better than you on the MBE based on your scaled MBE score of 174.2. Based on a total score of 327, this means your written score was 152.8. Assuming that the MEE/MPT percentiles follow the national MBE statistics, scoring a 152.8 Scaled MEE/MPT score would have placed you in the 92.9% percentile among examinees nationwide (meaning that 7.1% of examinees nationwide would have scored better than you on the MEE/MPT). Excellent job!

How did you study for the MBE and what was your % correct in MBE practice?

Thank you so much! I completed 100% of Barbri but I didn't strictly stick to the schedule - I took more time to review each subject until I felt comfortable with it before moving on. I also jumped ahead and did practice MBE or MEE questions for each subject after I studied it because I usually find it more useful to focus in depth on a subject at a time. Also - I should probably add that I'm technically a foreign lawyer!

d93saurus

New

Post by d93saurus » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:04 pm

JoeSeperac wrote:
d93saurus wrote:Hi Joe - could you please help me figure out my percentile ranking? I scored 327 overall and a scaled MBE of 174.2.
Based on your scaled MBE score of 174.2, your estimated raw MBE score was about 159/175 correct. This means you answered about 91% of the graded MBE questions correctly. Based on the F16 national statistics on the MBE (which serve as a good predictor of this exam’s percentiles), this places you in the 99.6% percentile for the MBE. This means that 0.4% of Feb examinees nationwide did better than you on the MBE based on your scaled MBE score of 174.2. Based on a total score of 327, this means your written score was 152.8. Assuming that the MEE/MPT percentiles follow the national MBE statistics, scoring a 152.8 Scaled MEE/MPT score would have placed you in the 92.9% percentile among examinees nationwide (meaning that 7.1% of examinees nationwide would have scored better than you on the MEE/MPT). Excellent job!

Thank you so much! I completed 100% of Barbri but I didn't strictly stick to the schedule - I took more time to review each subject until I felt comfortable with it before moving on. I also jumped ahead and did practice MBE or MEE questions for each subject after I studied it because I usually find it more useful to focus in depth on a subject at a time. I scored 78% on Barbri's simulated MBE. Also - I should probably add that I'm technically a foreign lawyer!

Neilt001

Post by Neilt001 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:15 pm

JoeSeperac wrote:
Hey Joe, question - do you know how to calculate the written score from both the final UBE score (I got 300) and MBE? (I got 151). I'm just wondering how I did on the written, and you seem to know your stuff! Thanks!
Based on your scaled MBE score of 151, your estimated raw MBE score was about 129/175 correct. This is based on the 2013 New York MBE raw/scaled conversion (which is the most recent time an MBE raw/scaled conversion was released). This means you answered about 74% of the graded MBE questions correctly. Based on the F16 national statistics on the MBE (which serve as a good predictor of this exam’s percentiles), this places you in the 85% percentile for the MBE. This means that only 15% of Feb examinees nationwide did better than you on the MBE based on your scaled MBE score of 151. Based on a total score of 300, this means your written score was 149. Assuming that the MEE/MPT percentiles follow the national MBE statistics, scoring a 149 Scaled MEE/MPT score would have placed you in the 89% percentile among examinees nationwide (meaning that only 11% of examinees nationwide would have scored better than you on the MEE/MPT). Great job!

If you don't mind, can you briefly explain how you studied for the MBE (how long, what percentage of your overall study time, what questions you used, how many did you answer overall, and your overall % correct). I ask this to see if there is any commonality in study routines (such as # of practice questions).

Thank you so much Joe!! You are a legend.

In answer to your questions - I am an Australian (Melbourne Law School!) called to the bar in Australia and Bermuda (where I'm currently practicing). I work full-time. I started with Themis in November and studied every evening and weekend, did about 2000 practice MBEs, and rarely scored above 68% on them (which is why I'm so surprised about my score!). I think I got a 63% on my full practice MBE so not great. Very impressed with Themis by the way, esp for someone working overseas!

Many thanks again!

JoeSeperac

Post by JoeSeperac » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:59 pm

Nykidj wrote:Hi Joe, I appreciate the score breakdown if you have the chance. Total score is 266 and MBE is 132.2. Thanks.
Congratulations. Based on your scaled MBE score of 132.2, your estimated raw MBE score was about 104/175 correct. This is based on the 2013 New York MBE raw/scaled conversion (which is the most recent time a February MBE raw/scaled conversion was released by a state). This means you answered about 59% of the graded MBE questions correctly. Based on the F16 national statistics on the MBE (which serve as a good predictor of this exam’s percentiles), this places you in the 43.7% percentile for the MBE. This means that 56.3% of Feb examinees nationwide did better than you on the MBE based on your scaled MBE score of 132.2. Given only 38% of examinees passed F18 in NY, being 43.7% percentile for the MBE was probably a big help.

Based on a total score of 266, this means your written score was 133.8. Assuming that the MEE/MPT percentiles follow the national MBE statistics, scoring a 133.8 Scaled MEE/MPT score would have placed you in the 52.1% percentile among examinees nationwide (meaning that 47.9% of examinees nationwide would have scored better than you on the MEE/MPT).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lawgirl1234

New

Post by lawgirl1234 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:20 pm

lawgirl1234 wrote:lurker, first time post--

NY BOLE has updated its website to state, in part:
"The application filing period for the July 2018 bar examination is April 1-30, 2018. Applicants may apply for the bar examination through their BOLE Account in the Applicant Services Portal. If you do not have an account click on BOLE Account in the table of contents and follow the instructions to create an account.

The deadline to apply for the July 2018 New York bar examination for applicants who took and failed the February 2018 New York bar examination is May 8, 2018. There is no provision for the late filing of an application... "

that would place our results release date either tonight or tomorrow night - given the "14 day" timeline from the date of release for re-applicant to register for July 2018.

Back on here to restore my credibility -- the May 8th date is up now, so I wasn't crazy to see it briefly for 5 seconds! LOL https://www.nybarexam.org/Default.html

Also, are we not going to talk about how the results came out at 2:51PM (instead of closer to midnight)?! That was not expected. Does that set a precedent now?

pech71

New

Post by pech71 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:28 pm

Yazzzay wrote:PASSED and no actual clue how but NOT GOING TO QUESITION IT :D :D :D

141 MBE, 171 MEE/MPT and 312 overall. In total shock. I actually had my parents open the email because I couldn't.

The last 7 months have been a whirlwind of emotions so I'm on cloud 9.

Congrats to everyone who passed!

To all those who missed the mark, I feel for you, and I have faith that you can still beat this test. Take today and tomorrow to mourn however you need to, and wake up ready to start planning later this week. I wish PM still existed on here but I'd be happy to help out any retakers in any way I can. I bar prepped at my law school lib the first time and this second time abroad at home, flew into NY for the test. Just know you CAN do it!!
Impressive that you scored so high on MEE/MPT. Typically, sections are almost identical. Any thoughts on how you did so well?

irishguy

New

Post by irishguy » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:30 pm

JoeSeperac wrote: Great job on passing. The 2013 NY bar exam pass rate for candidates from Ireland was 35.6%. see http://www.americanbar.org/content/dam/ ... eckdam.pdf

Based on your scaled MBE score of 148.5, your estimated raw MBE score was about 125/175 correct. This is based on the 2013 New York MBE raw/scaled conversion (which is the most recent time a February MBE raw/scaled conversion was released by a state). This means you answered about 71% of the graded MBE questions correctly. Based on the F16 national statistics on the MBE (this year's statistics will not be released until next year), this places you in the 82.4% percentile for the MBE. This means that 17.6% of last year's examinees nationwide did better than you on the MBE based on your scaled MBE score of 148.5.

Based on a total score of 284, this means your written score was 135.5. Assuming that the MEE/MPT percentiles follow the national MBE statistics, scoring a 135.5 Scaled MEE/MPT score would have placed you in the 52.5% percentile among examinees nationwide (meaning that 47.5% of last year's examinees nationwide would have scored better than you on the MEE/MPT).

Congratulations again - passing as an Irish candidate is no easy task.
Thank you for the score report. You'd be surprised at how much of the law I learned for the bar was stuff I already knew. Irish law is based on English common law, and US law is roughly similar to English common law. Even identical in places; the M'Naghten rule for insanity which was on the MEE this year, is one of the first things I remember from criminal law in first year of law school at University College Dublin, Ireland.

My average written score makes sense. The first bar exam essay or MPT I ever wrote was on the bar exam itself! On the MPT, I just used the accumen I learned working as a paralegal and from moot court, so that was fine. On the essays, I just shamelessly applied the rule to the facts over and over, to scream "HEY EXAMINER, GIMME MY LAW LICENSE!!!" <- license using the US spelling so as to try to blend into the ABA applicants - hahahaha! It's licence you heretics!

I am so pleased to have passed! I feel like I've crossed a threshold in my life and career. I can't wait to take my oath to uphold to US Constitution :D

vxyyang

New

Post by vxyyang » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:53 pm

Willierhule wrote:
kc128 wrote:4th time taker here, finally passed NY w/ a 297.

If you did not receive the news you were hoping for this afternoon, I am SO sorry. It's literally the worst feeling in the world. I raised my UBE from a 235 to a 297 and I promise that you can too. The PM feature is disabled so unfortunately, there's no way to direct message, but please, pleaseeee deviate from traditional bar prep schedules and study the way you know how. Do as many released NCBE questions as possible. The Emmanuel S&T book & the large Kaplan book are the shit.

Best of luck to you all. And fellow counselors, YAY CONGRATS!! WE DID IT!!
How did you improve your MBE score? I need some materials/book ideas on how to improve my MBE score. I just failed by three points and its just so frustrating. The MBE is my downfall.
Hi there, I got exactly the same score as yours. I swear it's the worse feeling of the world - 263, so close. I think my downfall is also MBE, and I did both Emmanuel and AdaptiBar, but still only scored 135. I'm lost, I don't know if I should redo Emmanuel and AdaptiBar for Jul bar or try something else. I really hope somebody here could help me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

FredP2017

New

Post by FredP2017 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:11 pm

blackpanther wrote:I was just comparing the two letters I got from BOLE (I failed the July 2017 exam and just passed the February 2018 exam), and I noticed something that I don't think anyone else has commented on, but that might be useful for future examiners who, like me, can't bear to read the actual BOLE leter, but also can't figure out file sizes, just want to open the PDF straight away, etc. If you passed the exam, there should be a heading (next to the date and above your home address) that reads "NOTICE OF CERTIFICATION." If there's no heading, then, unfortunately, I think it means you didn't pass.

Can anyone else confirm?

It depends. if you have sent your MPRE, you will be getting Noice of Certification. If you have not sent your MPRE, like me ( July in another state), you will be getting passed but not certified.

JoeSeperac

Post by JoeSeperac » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:15 pm

Banana1 wrote:Does anyone know when they release the list of passerrs on website?
The list is out:
https://www.law.com/newyorklawjournal/2 ... eer%20Buzz

JoeSeperac

Post by JoeSeperac » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:23 pm

ipassed69 wrote:@JoeSeperac

Hey Joe, I want to get on this train as well. I got a 326 with a MBE score of 159.7.

Thanks!!
I don't know if I responded due to the moderation lag, but here you go:

Based on your scaled MBE score of 159.7, your estimated raw MBE score was about 140/175 correct. This means you answered about 80% of the graded MBE questions correctly. This places you in the 95.3% percentile for the MBE. This means only 4.7% of Feb examinees nationwide did better than you on the MBE based on your scaled MBE score of 159.7. Based on a total score of 326, this means your written score was 166.3. Assuming that the MEE/MPT percentiles follow the national MBE statistics, scoring a 166.3 Scaled MEE/MPT score would have placed you in the 1.6% percentile among examinees nationwide (meaning that 98.4% of examinees nationwide would have scored better than you on the MEE/MPT). Please note I am using the 2016 February statistics because not even 2017 statistics are out yet.

If you don't mind, if you had to attribute your passing to just one thing, what would that be?

ScurryRay

New

Post by ScurryRay » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:22 pm

JoeSeperac wrote:
ScurryRay wrote:Joe - I don't know if you have any more time for your math wizardry, but I got a 312 with a 148.5 MBE. Where does that place me? I did Barbri (100% completion) supplemented by about 380 Adaptibar questions and maybe 200 Emmanuel Finz Multistate book questions. Ended up doing about 1,800 MBE practice questions, well over 50 practice essays and probably 7 MPT practice questions. Thanks for your insight.
Based on your scaled MBE score of 148.5, your estimated raw MBE score was about 125/175 correct. This means you answered about 71% of the graded MBE questions correctly.

Based on the F16 national statistics on the MBE (which serve as a good predictor of this exam’s percentiles with 2017 stats not out yet), this places you in the 77.5% percentile for the MBE. This means that 22.5% of Feb examinees nationwide did better than you on the MBE based on your scaled MBE score of 148.5.

Based on a total score of 312, this means your written score was 163.5. Assuming that the MEE/MPT percentiles follow the national MBE statistics, scoring a 163.5 Scaled MEE/MPT score would have placed you in the 98.1% percentile among examinees nationwide (meaning that 1.9% of last year's examinees nationwide would have scored better than you on the MEE/MPT).

My guess is that you were about 62-65% correct overall on barbri MBE practice Qs and 70-75% correct on the Adaptibar Qs.

Btw, if someone tells me what you just told me and has at least 60% in MBE practice and graduated with an LGPA above 3.0, its basically a guaranteed pass that only you can screw up.
You're the man, Joe. Thank you so much. I was right about where you said on both Barbri and Adaptibar. Good call. I graduated from a T3 school with a 3.95GPA but caught a cold the day before the bar. Happy to have passed. Thanks again.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:43 pm

lawgirl1234 wrote:
lawgirl1234 wrote:lurker, first time post--

NY BOLE has updated its website to state, in part:
"The application filing period for the July 2018 bar examination is April 1-30, 2018. Applicants may apply for the bar examination through their BOLE Account in the Applicant Services Portal. If you do not have an account click on BOLE Account in the table of contents and follow the instructions to create an account.

The deadline to apply for the July 2018 New York bar examination for applicants who took and failed the February 2018 New York bar examination is May 8, 2018. There is no provision for the late filing of an application... "

that would place our results release date either tonight or tomorrow night - given the "14 day" timeline from the date of release for re-applicant to register for July 2018.

Back on here to restore my credibility -- the May 8th date is up now, so I wasn't crazy to see it briefly for 5 seconds! LOL https://www.nybarexam.org/Default.html

Also, are we not going to talk about how the results came out at 2:51PM (instead of closer to midnight)?! That was not expected. Does that set a precedent now?

Good question. In Feb 2015, the BOLE did just that (only @ 5pm). It’s almost like they were trying to fake us out. I woke up yesterday remembering that and turned on my email notifications - still expecting it at midnight.

Between this and the NYLE thing, I’m starting to think someone @ the BOLE reads TLS :lol:

My $.02

jrstephens1991

Bronze

Post by jrstephens1991 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:26 pm

JoeSeperac wrote:
ipassed69 wrote:@JoeSeperac

Thanks!!
I don't know if I responded due to the moderation lag, but here you go:

Based on your scaled MBE score of 159.7, your estimated raw MBE score was about 140/175 correct. This means you answered about 80% of the graded MBE questions correctly. This places you in the 95.3% percentile for the MBE. This means only 4.7% of Feb examinees nationwide did better than you on the MBE based on your scaled MBE score of 159.7. Based on a total score of 326, this means your written score was 166.3. Assuming that the MEE/MPT percentiles follow the national MBE statistics, scoring a 166.3 Scaled MEE/MPT score would have placed you in the 1.6% percentile among examinees nationwide (meaning that 98.4% of examinees nationwide would have scored better than you on the MEE/MPT). Please note I am using the 2016 February statistics because not even 2017 statistics are out yet.

If you don't mind, if you had to attribute your passing to just one thing, what would that be?
Do you mind sharing your email? I have a bit more questions that require more personal information.

lolabear727

Bronze

Post by lolabear727 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:42 pm

JoeSeperac wrote:

Joe! What about mine? 118.8 (terrible I know.. and 6 pts less than last time).

JoeSeperac

Post by JoeSeperac » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:10 pm

ScurryRay wrote: You're the man, Joe. Thank you so much. I was right about where you said on both Barbri and Adaptibar. Good call. I graduated from a T3 school with a 3.95GPA but caught a cold the day before the bar. Happy to have passed. Thanks again.
Glad it worked out for you. It's really interesting how the patterns hold up, but there is definitely less variance with higher-ability examinees.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JoeSeperac

Post by JoeSeperac » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:11 pm

jrstephens1991 wrote:Do you mind sharing your email? I have a bit more questions that require more personal information.
joe at seperac.com

JoeSeperac

Post by JoeSeperac » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:21 pm

lolabear727 wrote:Joe! What about mine? 118.8 (terrible I know.. and 6 pts less than last time).
In looking at the F17 MBE subscores, I estimate that a 118.8 scaled MBE is 86/175 (49% correct). My guess is that you were averaging about 50-55% in MBE practice and probably did under 1,000 questions. You absolutely need to improve your MBE score - of the 4,000+ examinees who failed and sent me their scores, the average MBE was 122, so you are below the average failer.

Based on the F16 national statistics on the MBE (which serve as a good predictor of this exam’s percentiles), this places you in the 15.4% percentile for the MBE. This means that 84.6% of Feb examinees nationwide did better than you on the MBE based on your scaled MBE score of 118.8. You can’t expect to pass an exam where only 63% pass annually when you are worse than 85% of examinees on the most reliable part of the exam.

Yazzzay

Bronze

Post by Yazzzay » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:24 pm

pech71 wrote:
Yazzzay wrote:PASSED and no actual clue how but NOT GOING TO QUESITION IT :D :D :D

141 MBE, 171 MEE/MPT and 312 overall. In total shock. I actually had my parents open the email because I couldn't.

The last 7 months have been a whirlwind of emotions so I'm on cloud 9.

Congrats to everyone who passed!

To all those who missed the mark, I feel for you, and I have faith that you can still beat this test. Take today and tomorrow to mourn however you need to, and wake up ready to start planning later this week. I wish PM still existed on here but I'd be happy to help out any retakers in any way I can. I bar prepped at my law school lib the first time and this second time abroad at home, flew into NY for the test. Just know you CAN do it!!
Impressive that you scored so high on MEE/MPT. Typically, sections are almost identical. Any thoughts on how you did so well?
Honestly I'm confused- bc this time (my second) I put a lot more effort in the MBE as MC has always been a weak point for me. I did better on the Barbri MBE simulation and was hitting around 70-75% on practices so I was actually expecting to ultimately do better on the MBE than the essays this time. In July 2017 I got a 124 on the MBE, so rose only 17 points to the 141, which is weird but I think I felt really defeated after day 1 so it was a lack of confidence/exhaustion thing.

First time around I put more effort on the essays than MBE, and ended up with a 134. This time my MEE/MPT rose a good amount, to that 171, and I definitely didn't stress over them as much. Essays have always gone better for me but I was still surprised my score, so I think what I did well and really helped this time was:

1) Formatted my essays CIRAC style. Last time I think my nerves got the best of me and I blanked and forgot to do it perfectly, I didn't let that happen this time, and you can totally lose points for not keeping it basic for the graders.
2) Stuck to the 30 min MEE and 1h30min MPT, no exceptions, so wrap up a question in one min if time was up (I set the alarms on exemplify to keep track). With the alarm feature theres no reason to every go over, I probably checked the time every 2-3 mins which might sound obsessive but it kept me typing and not spending too much time deliberating.
3) Didn't waste time thinking about writing, but just started typing as soon as I finished reading the question, so just spit out CIRAC then would begin filling it in. There was one essay, the civ pro one this time, where I 100% didn't know anything about the topic asked (not sure what I got on it obviously but it couldn't have been too bad given my score) but I didn't spend time thinking too hard about it and just used common sense bc overthinking for me leads to downward spiralling into everything else I don't know/can't remember.
4) Completed all practice MEEs I could find, so around 8-12 for each topic, but ONLY CIRAC bullet pointed them, only actually wrote out 1 for each topic, and gave myself no more than 5-10 mins p essay.
5) Kept track of practice MEE/MPT scores. This sounds so simple but really made a difference this time. I printed a chart where I wrote down & color coded if I high passed, just passed, or failed every essay, and this made it so simple to know this topics I easily got and which I didn't. I always thought secured trans was my worst bc in theory its so confusing, but I realized I was high passing all of those and actually flopping on most of the Con law essays, which I thought were easy! So I was able to shift my focus to the topics I needed to.
6) On the MPTs, didn't overthink the ridiculous prompts & just pay attention to the format example/rules they give you.The second MPT this time was beyond confusing to me. I sat lost for like 5 mins but finally just wrote out the example format they had (even though it didn't seem at all applicable) and then started filling it in, even repeating myself under different sections. Again, no clue how I did on it (I came out certain I wouldn't get any points for it) but I guess I must have done well. I know there are so many people who say they wrote 1-2 lines for an MPT and still passed with flying colors but I really think theres no excuse to not write something under everything (unless you type super slow?) because you will ensure you hit SOMETHING.

Not sure if you wanted that much of an answer or if you've already taken it and passed but just thought I'd spread some of the things that worked for me to whoever might need it! I know I've gotten some helpful advice on TLS before :)

jrstephens1991

Bronze

Post by jrstephens1991 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:30 pm

JoeSeperac wrote:
jrstephens1991 wrote:Do you mind sharing your email? I have a bit more questions that require more personal information.
joe at seperac.com
Great just emailed you.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”