2018 February New York Bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
radjo

New

Re: 2018 February New York Bar

Post by radjo » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:38 pm

ubebarstudying wrote:
radjo wrote:Hi, I have a couple of questions. Please see if you can answer.
1) During the exam, are we allowed to make markings (underlining, writing notes) etc. on the question paper itself?
2) Can I pack my food put it in the bag and put the bag in the Personal Belongings room and eat it during the break? In other words is personal belonging room accessible during the break?
Thanks.
1) yes but just adhere to the guidelines. Meaning you can, but I believe NY still only allows blue or black pens for the essay day, only old school sharpened pencils on day 2. I recall highllighters etc are disallowed, though somehow a few people slipped in with them which, side note, I found really irritating because I was big into color coding and that would have been a great asset but at the end of the day it's best to just follow the rules and not risk it.

2) yes the room is accessible - when I took it people on the MBE day were reviewing notes of flashcards during lunch which...I mean if that gives peace of mind for the afternoon session, that's cool but youre not going to learn or remember something flying through notes on 7 topics on lunch break... anyway, yes it is a accessible and you can get your lunch, but depending on your location and the belongings room it has, there may be a bit of a traffic jam. I'd be shocked if it was so extensive as to render you unable to grab and eat your food, but I'm just saying that if you are fortunate to be relatively close to the door or if you finish a section in time to get out early, I would say to either walk quickly out to beat the people further from the door or grab it first thing, respectively.
Great! Thanks for your reply. I plan to use only pencils and not highlighters etc.
If there are any exam takers from Albany, do you know how far is the personal belonging room from convention hall? Also, will there be enough plug points to charge our laptops?

Banana1

New

Post by Banana1 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:04 pm

radjo wrote:
ubebarstudying wrote:
1) During the exam, are we allowed to make markings (underlining, writing notes) etc. on the question paper itself?
2) Can I pack my food put it in the bag and put the bag in the Personal Belongings room and eat it during the break? In other words is personal belonging room accessible during the break?
Thanks.
1) yes but just adhere to the guidelines. Meaning you can, but I believe NY still only allows blue or black pens for the essay day, only old school sharpened pencils on day 2. I recall highllighters etc are disallowed, though somehow a few people slipped in with them which, side note, I found really irritating because I was big into color coding and that would have been a great asset but at the end of the day it's best to just follow the rules and not risk it.

2) yes the room is accessible - when I took it people on the MBE day were reviewing notes of flashcards during lunch which...I mean if that gives peace of mind for the afternoon session, that's cool but youre not going to learn or remember something flying through notes on 7 topics on lunch break... anyway, yes it is a accessible and you can get your lunch, but depending on your location and the belongings room it has, there may be a bit of a traffic jam. I'd be shocked if it was so extensive as to render you unable to grab and eat your food, but I'm just saying that if you are fortunate to be relatively close to the door or if you finish a section in time to get out early, I would say to either walk quickly out to beat the people further from the door or grab it first thing, respectively.
Great! Thanks for your reply. I plan to use only pencils and not highlighters etc.
If there are any exam takers from Albany, do you know how far is the personal belonging room from convention hall? Also, will there be enough plug points to charge our laptops?

Same I was wondering how/where we charge our laptops? Mine tends to have a very low battery life.. can we during the exam?

nada123

New

Post by nada123 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:48 am

Just read the security policy- no watches at all?

Also i want to bring an external mouse (mines attach via mini usb and runs on battery but there’s no “wire”)- is that considered wireless? The policy says no wireless mouse. Or must i bring an old fashioned one with a long cord?

Anyone with previous experience? I’m at Buffalo if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

ubebarstudying

Bronze

Post by ubebarstudying » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:07 am

nada123 wrote:Just read the security policy- no watches at all?

Also i want to bring an external mouse (mines attach via mini usb and runs on battery but there’s no “wire”)- is that considered wireless? The policy says no wireless mouse. Or must i bring an old fashioned one with a long cord?

Thanks!
radjo wrote:
ubebarstudying wrote:
Thanks.

Ok so in response to both of your questions in order as seen above.: I just googled their security policy which does say no analog watches but the strange thing there is in the bottom right it is dated October or November of November 2017. I can only assume that new rules were adopted for some reason and perhaps watches were one of them, for some reason? However to my knowledhe this would be the first exam with that rule so check your sheet that comes with or around your ticket email and double check. It could have been an error/oversight.

Technically speaking, no you would not be allowed to use that mouse and they do want the old school wire. While I never would risk it, especially with my luck, much like the ban on highlighters, some people manage to slip in with the ones you asked about, which will be irritating to see, so don't think i am messing with you - I had the same issue. I am not suggesting you try to get one in, I was too neurotic and nervous to NOT strictly adhere to guidelines and I think that's the best policy; I am just warning you thst you may see people with the wireless mouse but they're technically not allowed. Unfoetunately I did not take it in buffalo.

As far as Albany, the location belonging room is not very far from the exam room. If I recall there was a large waiting area that has the personal belonging room immediately off of it, then as they let people in and you move forward there were bathrooms...then you went to the right and either wait in line or walk the maybe 100/200 feet to the security checkpoint which was right outside the exam room.

*LAPTOPS*
Since several people asked, the room is enormous (in Albany anyway) and crammed full of tables with more extension cords and corresponding outlets everywhere you look. Should you still fully charge your laptop before the exam? Absolutely. However, when I took it there it appeared there was an outlet for use next to or under every table. But make sure it's fully charged in case there is a power issue or the outlet isn't workin for some reason (and if you think it will die after the AM session, talk to a protor about your outlet or using another one to recharge during break).

Hope this was at least somewhat helpful and hopefully the watch thing is a mistake, keep your eye out for that. I'm going to pass out now because I'm still awake for some reason but Nyquil definitely just kicked in.

nada123

New

Post by nada123 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:22 am

Definitely helpful! Will stay on the safe side. Thank you!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kc128

Bronze

Post by kc128 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:42 am

ubebarstudying wrote:

Thanks!
radjo wrote:
ubebarstudying wrote:
Thanks.

Ok so in response to both of your questions in order as seen above.: I just googled their security policy which does say no analog watches but the strange thing there is in the bottom right it is dated October or November of November 2017. I can only assume that new rules were adopted for some reason and perhaps watches were one of them, for some reason? However to my knowledhe this would be the first exam with that rule so check your sheet that comes with or around your ticket email and double check. It could have been an error/oversight.

Technically speaking, no you would not be allowed to use that mouse and they do want the old school wire. While I never would risk it, especially with my luck, much like the ban on highlighters, some people manage to slip in with the ones you asked about, which will be irritating to see, so don't think i am messing with you - I had the same issue. I am not suggesting you try to get one in, I was too neurotic and nervous to NOT strictly adhere to guidelines and I think that's the best policy; I am just warning you thst you may see people with the wireless mouse but they're technically not allowed. Unfoetunately I did not take it in buffalo.

As far as Albany, the location belonging room is not very far from the exam room. If I recall there was a large waiting area that has the personal belonging room immediately off of it, then as they let people in and you move forward there were bathrooms...then you went to the right and either wait in line or walk the maybe 100/200 feet to the security checkpoint which was right outside the exam room.

*LAPTOPS*
Since several people asked, the room is enormous (in Albany anyway) and crammed full of tables with more extension cords and corresponding outlets everywhere you look. Should you still fully charge your laptop before the exam? Absolutely. However, when I took it there it appeared there was an outlet for use next to or under every table. But make sure it's fully charged in case there is a power issue or the outlet isn't workin for some reason (and if you think it will die after the AM session, talk to a protor about your outlet or using another one to recharge during break).

Hope this was at least somewhat helpful and hopefully the watch thing is a mistake, keep your eye out for that. I'm going to pass out now because I'm still awake for some reason but Nyquil definitely just kicked in.
Every seat at the Armory has outlet access.

ubebarstudying

Bronze

Post by ubebarstudying » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:41 pm

nada123 wrote:Definitely helpful! Will stay on the safe side. Thank you!
No problem!

LSATWiz.com

Silver

Post by LSATWiz.com » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:16 pm

ubebarstudying wrote:
ScurryRay wrote:
ubebarstudying wrote:
ScurryRay wrote:
Banana1 wrote:Whos taking in albany???
I am taking it in Albany. Have only driven past it on the highway and have no knowledge of the city. Plan to get there a few days early to check things out and get situated.
If either of you have questions feel free to ask/contact me...whether it's how long of a commute from A to B to food places
Thank you so much for the offer. I'll take you up on that. I'm staying at the Hilton Garden Inn Albany Medical Center. Looks like about a mile away from Empire Plaza. Is that a reasonable expectation to walk there for the exam? Not sure what that mile is comprised of (i.e. sidewalks or highways)? I hear Albany doesn't allow Uber or Lyft so was hoping to walk. Also, was it complete chaos during lunch break or did you have a reasonable chance to get out of the testing center and get some food without feeling rushed and having to compete against everyone else for a spot in line to make sure you were back on time?

Thanks a lot for your help.
Ok so that's actually great news because for food and so on you may not even need to go outside, but I'll get to that. First, I would normally say yes that is walking distance but since it is February and, well, Albany, it may be freezing and I would be careful making the walk bevause of the possibility of ice patches. However, good news: Albany does have uber and lyft now, and I would be surprised if your hotel isn't having people shuttled to the test site, so you certainly have options. They aren't highway roads, and I think almost the entire area has sidewalks so again, if you want to walk it's feasible.

As for lunch, it's chaos when everyone rushes out and if you cut it too close to the time allowed back may hit a traffic jam which won't matter as much on day 1, but on day 2 people also tend to line up to re-sharpen pencils. I had time to get food without any problem though, just scope places out on the way in and know there are a few more further down. There is a sort of cafeteria with decent food from pizza to salads, a McDonald's, some coffee and bakery stands, and I there were a couple other places that didn't have seating but were open and you could just order and find wherever to sit. In other words, you may be more anxious about this on day 1 but just keep an eye on the time - there are a few clocks around and I definitely recommend the good old watch - and you'll be fine. Day 2? Well I would just recommend bringing extra sharpened pencils so you don't have to worry but if you think you'll need to hop in that line try and take a shorter lunch that day to get back earlier so you don't get held up at security or at the sharpeners. Finally, as promised, when it comes to breakfast, coffee, dinner, or perhaps needing a very stiff drink after day 2, part of the hotel is literally over a bar and grill, and there is a Panera and a Starbucks one to two doors down, but I THINK you can get to at least one of the three without having to to outside, but I can't recall which.
I think fresh air could be good, but I couldn't imagine driving conditions and whether I'd trust myself driving during the break. Hard to remember back from years ago, but I just don't think I'd have the focus to drive well. Walking somewhere is a better call because you need fresh air, and have more control of time.

ubebarstudying

Bronze

Post by ubebarstudying » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:45 pm

UBETutoring wrote:
ubebarstudying wrote:
ScurryRay wrote:
ubebarstudying wrote:
ScurryRay wrote:
Banana1 wrote:Whos taking in albany???
I am taking it in Albany. Have only driven past it on the highway and have no knowledge of the city. Plan to get there a few days early to check things out and get situated.
If either of you have questions feel free to ask/contact me...whether it's how long of a commute from A to B to food places
Thank you so much for the offer. I'll take you up on that. I'm staying at the Hilton Garden Inn Albany Medical Center. Looks like about a mile away from Empire Plaza. Is that a reasonable expectation to walk there for the exam? Not sure what that mile is comprised of (i.e. sidewalks or highways)? I hear Albany doesn't allow Uber or Lyft so was hoping to walk. Also, was it complete chaos during lunch break or did you have a reasonable chance to get out of the testing center and get some food without feeling rushed and having to compete against everyone else for a spot in line to make sure you were back on time?

Thanks a lot for your help.
Ok so that's actually great news because for food and so on you may not even need to go outside, but I'll get to that. First, I would normally say yes that is walking distance but since it is February and, well, Albany, it may be freezing and I would be careful making the walk bevause of the possibility of ice patches. However, good news: Albany does have uber and lyft now, and I would be surprised if your hotel isn't having people shuttled to the test site, so you certainly have options. They aren't highway roads, and I think almost the entire area has sidewalks so again, if you want to walk it's feasible.

As for lunch, it's chaos when everyone rushes out and if you cut it too close to the time allowed back may hit a traffic jam which won't matter as much on day 1, but on day 2 people also tend to line up to re-sharpen pencils. I had time to get food without any problem though, just scope places out on the way in and know there are a few more further down. There is a sort of cafeteria with decent food from pizza to salads, a McDonald's, some coffee and bakery stands, and I there were a couple other places that didn't have seating but were open and you could just order and find wherever to sit. In other words, you may be more anxious about this on day 1 but just keep an eye on the time - there are a few clocks around and I definitely recommend the good old watch - and you'll be fine. Day 2? Well I would just recommend bringing extra sharpened pencils so you don't have to worry but if you think you'll need to hop in that line try and take a shorter lunch that day to get back earlier so you don't get held up at security or at the sharpeners. Finally, as promised, when it comes to breakfast, coffee, dinner, or perhaps needing a very stiff drink after day 2, part of the hotel is literally over a bar and grill, and there is a Panera and a Starbucks one to two doors down, but I THINK you can get to at least one of the three without having to to outside, but I can't recall which.
I think fresh air could be good, but I couldn't imagine driving conditions and whether I'd trust myself driving during the break. Hard to remember back from years ago, but I just don't think I'd have the focus to drive well. Walking somewhere is a better call because you need fresh air, and have more control of time.
Fresh air is good. Unless it's snowing or sleeting or below freezing and windy - then all bets are off. I also believe Ray was talking about driving herself; hence the uber/lyft mention. There will definitely be traffic that I wouldn't want to deal with, though it should not be as packed as July. That said, I believe July has 2 major locations as well as a smaller one in Saratoga, whereas I think February usually only had 1, possibly 2 if Saratoga was open, but I know they don't hold them in the 2 big Albany test centers in February.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Waver_

New

Post by Waver_ » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:43 am

Hi, just want to ask have they sent us the seat ticket? Only 2 weeks left and I still haven't received the ticket...

Labhuershi

New

Post by Labhuershi » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:44 pm

Waver_ wrote:Hi, just want to ask have they sent us the seat ticket? Only 2 weeks left and I still haven't received the ticket...
No ticket here either.

bcohen226

New

Post by bcohen226 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:51 pm

Waver_ wrote:Hi, just want to ask have they sent us the seat ticket? Only 2 weeks left and I still haven't received the ticket...
I asked around a bit, apparently they are sending seat tickets later today or tomorrow. It's usually ~2 weeks prior.

kc128

Bronze

Post by kc128 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:22 pm

Does anything have info re: the examsoft update that some people received today? I didn't receive it, however purchased a new computer and downloaded examsoft in late Dec. so maybe it was only received if you need to update or something?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Banana1

New

Post by Banana1 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:26 pm

ubebarstudying wrote:

Thanks!
radjo wrote:
ubebarstudying wrote:
Thanks.

*LAPTOPS*

are we not allowed to bring our notes to the center?

sixwordsblue

New

Post by sixwordsblue » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:39 pm

I just got my ticket email.

Waver_

New

Post by Waver_ » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:04 pm

sixwordsblue wrote:
I just got my ticket email.
I got the examsoft update email, but still no ticket.
I will check again later today.

nada123

New

Post by nada123 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:25 pm

Got the ticket about 6 hours ago. Also another email from Examsoft

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kc128

Bronze

Post by kc128 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:51 pm

nada123 wrote:Got the ticket about 6 hours ago. Also another email from Examsoft
Also received my seat ticket. Is the examsoft email an update?

nada123

New

Post by nada123 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:09 am

kc128 wrote:
nada123 wrote:Got the ticket about 6 hours ago. Also another email from Examsoft
It says to verify the version installed. Same as yours?

kc128

Bronze

Post by kc128 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:15 am

nada123 wrote:
kc128 wrote:
It says to verify the version installed. Same as yours?
I didn't receive any examsoft email, which has me a bit worried. I bought a new Mac in December and downloaded the program in late Dec., so maybe I just downloaded the most updated version and don't need to verify? It's on my to-do list to look into this further today.

Pax UK

New

Post by Pax UK » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:37 pm

Thanks for the previous responses b290 & ubebarstudying.

Can anyone provide guidance to me on what strategies you use to keep your essays within time? I typically spend 45-55 mins writing per essay in the sample questions I’ve answered and I just don’t know how to keep it down! Obviously hoping the answer is not that I’ll get a subject I haven’t prepared for and can’t answer!

Secondly, after receiving email from examsoft/examplify I logged on and submitted a dry run, I didn’t get any message about a new version or anything, despite installing at first opportunity, in December I think. Does this match with other people’s experience or should I see a message about updating to a new version etc?

Thanks all and hope studies are going well.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kc128

Bronze

Post by kc128 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:42 pm

Pax UK wrote:Thanks for the previous responses b290 & ubebarstudying.

Can anyone provide guidance to me on what strategies you use to keep your essays within time? I typically spend 45-55 mins writing per essay in the sample questions I’ve answered and I just don’t know how to keep it down! Obviously hoping the answer is not that I’ll get a subject I haven’t prepared for and can’t answer!

Secondly, after receiving email from examsoft/examplify I logged on and submitted a dry run, I didn’t get any message about a new version or anything, despite installing at first opportunity, in December I think. Does this match with other people’s experience or should I see a message about updating to a new version etc?

Thanks all and hope studies are going well.
My experience w/ exam soft as well which I've blasted this thread over. Hoping we're not alone in not receiving the update or whatever it was, but my seat ticket did note "laptop" taker.

Banana1

New

Post by Banana1 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:37 pm

can we bring medicine in the exam room?

bcohen226

New

Post by bcohen226 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:08 am

kc128 wrote:
Got my seat ticket too, @ Armory. Got the lunch email as well yesterday. Seems a little expensive but worth it just to have one less thing to hassle over.

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:16 am

Got my seat ticket! I was worried I didn’t do everything right in Dec when I signed up :lol:

What’s this thing about Examplify update?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”