2018 February New York Bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
nada123

New

Re: 2018 February New York Bar

Post by nada123 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:17 pm

b290 wrote:So...who's going to Buffalo? I am :lol:

My $.02
Me too! :D

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:47 pm

nada123 wrote:

My $.02
Nice!! :D Is it crazy to be excited about going to Buffalo in February? :lol:

Do you have an idea where you're staying yet?

My $.02

nada123

New

Post by nada123 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:10 am

b290 wrote:
nada123 wrote:

My $.02

My $.02
I heard there was no snow last year. So might not be too bad :D Otherwise, getting some buffalo wings after the exam!

I booked Hilton Garden Inn Downtown a while back. It's a 5 minute walk to the convention center. There's a few hotels around the area too but i wanted to stay somewhere where i could walk in case it gets too cold!

lolabear727

Bronze

Post by lolabear727 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:54 am

My $.02
I am.. again.. Not happy to spend the extra money when I have a place to stay near the WP testing center. Whatever... ugh. Already had my hotel booked though just in case.

lolabear727

Bronze

Post by lolabear727 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:58 am

nada123 wrote:
b290 wrote:
nada123 wrote:

My $.02

My $.02
I heard there was no snow last year. So might not be too bad :D Otherwise, getting some buffalo wings after the exam!

I booked Hilton Garden Inn Downtown a while back. It's a 5 minute walk to the convention center. There's a few hotels around the area too but i wanted to stay somewhere where i could walk in case it gets too cold!
I booked the same hotel too. Hey Neighbor! It was on a pretty good deal on Hotels.com back in October. I stayed at the Adam's Mark last time and it was fine, walkable within 10 minutes, there was no snow and it was actually pretty pleasant. The second day it rained on the way back to the hotel. Downside, they didn't let us in our room until 3pm on Monday, so all of us that took that 5am flight from FL and then spent all day in the lobby studying weren't happy. There also wasn't a shuttle (which I made sure Hilton Garden had one) to/from the airport. So that was an extra $70 b/c the taxicab drivers are scam artists. Make sure they turn on the meter!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:03 pm

lolabear727 wrote:
nada123 wrote:
b290 wrote:
nada123 wrote:

My $.02

My $.02

I booked the same hotel too. Hey Neighbor! It was on a pretty good deal on Hotels.com back in October. I stayed at the Adam's Mark last time and it was fine, walkable within 10 minutes, there was no snow and it was actually pretty pleasant. The second day it rained on the way back to the hotel. Downside, they didn't let us in our room until 3pm on Monday, so all of us that took that 5am flight from FL and then spent all day in the lobby studying weren't happy. There also wasn't a shuttle (which I made sure Hilton Garden had one) to/from the airport. So that was an extra $70 b/c the taxicab drivers are scam artists. Make sure they turn on the meter!
You didn't Uber? :shock: Uber's $20 from the airport to downtown :( NEVER take a taxi - learned that in NYC.

I'll be downtown too. I'm also down for wings and appropriate spirits after. :D

My $.02

lolabear727

Bronze

Post by lolabear727 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:02 pm

b290 wrote:
lolabear727 wrote:
nada123 wrote:
b290 wrote:
nada123 wrote:

My $.02

My $.02
I love wings and spirits! They didn't not start Uber in Buffalo until after feb 17...

You didn't Uber? :shock: Uber's $20 from the airport to downtown :( NEVER take a taxi - learned that in NYC.

My $.02

nada123

New

Post by nada123 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:22 am

lolabear727 wrote:
nada123 wrote:
b290 wrote:
nada123 wrote:

My $.02

My $.02
Hi neighbour! I'm getting there a few days earlier (coming in from another country - foreign), hotel shuttle sounds nice but you have to call them right?
Any idea if there's a phone store at buffalo airport? Need to purchase a sim card first.

You guys pre-ordering lunch?

lolabear727

Bronze

Post by lolabear727 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:31 am

nada123 wrote:
lolabear727 wrote:
nada123 wrote:
b290 wrote:
nada123 wrote:

My $.02

My $.02
Hi neighbour! I'm getting there a few days earlier (coming in from another country - foreign), hotel shuttle sounds nice but you have to call them right?
Any idea if there's a phone store at buffalo airport? Need to purchase a sim card first.

I think so. Unless you're lucky and there is someone that needs the shuttle at the same time and they just happen to be running. I would find out. I'm not sure about a phone store at the airport. I'll be flying in from Florida. I am going to pre-order again. It wasn't super great food, but it was very convenient and they had a big ballroom with tables. I grabbed my notes from the coat room and refreshed while ate. It's overpriced but worth the extra money. Plus if it's really cold or raining (which it was the second day) you don't want to be running around trying to find a place to eat. Unless you want to walk back to the hotel.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

W$RKliveWELL

Bronze

Post by W$RKliveWELL » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:30 pm

Is anyone else still waiting on their location assignment email? I haven’t received mine.

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:43 pm

lolabear727 wrote:
nada123 wrote:Hi neighbour! I'm getting there a few days earlier (coming in from another country - foreign), hotel shuttle sounds nice but you have to call them right?

I think so. Unless you're lucky and there is someone that needs the shuttle at the same time and they just happen to be running. I would find out. I'm not sure about a phone store at the airport. I'll be flying in from Florida. I am going to pre-order again. It wasn't super great food, but it was very convenient and they had a big ballroom with tables. I grabbed my notes from the coat room and refreshed while ate. It's overpriced but worth the extra money. Plus if it's really cold or raining (which it was the second day) you don't want to be running around trying to find a place to eat. Unless you want to walk back to the hotel.
I’m not ordering at the convention center. I’ve found that the places around aren’t more than 5 mins away by foot. I’d rather walk, get the blood flowing, and eat on the go (in true New Yorker style :lol: )

As for a SIM card @ the airport - it’s not happening. We just don’t do that in the US :lol:
You can keep your phone on WiFi-only (which is free @ some places) until you can find where to buy SIM cards. You can get them for real cheap @ Walmart.
W$RKliveWELL wrote:Is anyone else still waiting on their location assignment email? I haven’t received mine.
Check your spam folder. They went out last weekend.

My $.02

ScurryRay

New

Post by ScurryRay » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:03 pm

Hi, all. Taking the February NY bar and studying from home in Virginia via Barbri. I hope everyone's studying is going well.

Is anyone else taking it in Albany? Anything you've learned about the location that may be worthwhile to know in advance? I booked at the Hilton Garden near the Medical Center. Says it was a mile away and cost like $240/night. Moderately obscene pricing but whatever.

beckygirl

New

Post by beckygirl » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:18 am

ScurryRay wrote:Hi, all. Taking the February NY bar and studying from home in Virginia via Barbri. I hope everyone's studying is going well.

Is anyone else taking it in Albany? Anything you've learned about the location that may be worthwhile to know in advance? I booked at the Hilton Garden near the Medical Center. Says it was a mile away and cost like $240/night. Moderately obscene pricing but whatever.
I walked to the location for the 3 days straight before I took it there last time to make sure I found it and the first day I just could not figure it out, so tip, if you can't find your way in through one of the easier doors, GO THROUGH THE EGG! Lol I walked around the damn thing repeatedly and the second day I finally entered it and took the escalator down and then you're in!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ScurryRay

New

Post by ScurryRay » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:42 am

Helpful. Thanks, Becky!

Damage Over Time

Silver

Post by Damage Over Time » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:53 pm

ScurryRay wrote:Hi, all. Taking the February NY bar and studying from home in Virginia via Barbri. I hope everyone's studying is going well.

if you're concerned about getting lunch during the exam, don't be. there were tons of options within a few minutes walk when i took the exam in Albany a couple years ago

gladiator0flaw11

Bronze

Post by gladiator0flaw11 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:54 am

Those sitting in Albany, what hotel are you staying at? the hilton inn seems to be the popular option here.

dk_1234

New

Post by dk_1234 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:12 pm

My $.02
I am...staying at the Adam's Mark

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ScurryRay

New

Post by ScurryRay » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:02 pm

Gladiator,

I am staying at the Hilton near the Medical Center. Says it is a mile away from Empire Plaza. Closest one I could find that has availability.

sixwordsblue

New

Post by sixwordsblue » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:57 pm

Quick (maybe silly) question: I'm taking it at the Armory. Is it crazy to bring my own lunch on exam day and leave it in the personal belongings room to grab at lunchtime? I am not a fan of any of the options on the pre-order menu, don't want to leave the building at lunch, and am not sure of how crazy the rush is at personal belongings. Thanks! :D

kc128

Bronze

Post by kc128 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:20 am

sixwordsblue wrote:Quick (maybe silly) question: I'm taking it at the Armory. Is it crazy to bring my own lunch on exam day and leave it in the personal belongings room to grab at lunchtime? I am not a fan of any of the options on the pre-order menu, don't want to leave the building at lunch, and am not sure of how crazy the rush is at personal belongings. Thanks! :D
I did this! I just dropped my bag in a corner so it would be easy to find. They just won't let you eat/sit/linger in the hallway but you can sit upstairs in the bleacher area or outside on the street.

gladiator0flaw11

Bronze

Post by gladiator0flaw11 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:11 am

ScurryRay wrote:Gladiator,

I am staying at the Hilton near the Medical Center. Says it is a mile away from Empire Plaza. Closest one I could find that has availability.
Thank you, they are all sold out though. Trying to find something nearby and don't really want to Air BnB it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

L_William_W

Bronze

Post by L_William_W » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:02 pm

sixwordsblue wrote:Quick (maybe silly) question: I'm taking it at the Armory. Is it crazy to bring my own lunch on exam day and leave it in the personal belongings room to grab at lunchtime? I am not a fan of any of the options on the pre-order menu, don't want to leave the building at lunch, and am not sure of how crazy the rush is at personal belongings. Thanks! :D
I took (and passed) it at the Armory last July. I brought my lunch to the site. It's fairly organized. You'll have enough time to eat and gloss over some notes.

sixwordsblue

New

Post by sixwordsblue » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:16 pm

L_William_W wrote:
I took (and passed) it at the Armory last July. I brought my lunch to the site. It's fairly organized. You'll have enough time to eat and gloss over some notes.
Great. Thank you!

hellaperla

New

Post by hellaperla » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:30 am

Hi all, just wondering if anyone can help me with this - does BOLE send an email acknowledgment of their receipt of your handwriting sample? I’m taking the bar based on my foreign legal education. Thanks in advance!

nada123

New

Post by nada123 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:08 am

hellaperla wrote:Hi all, just wondering if anyone can help me with this - does BOLE send an email acknowledgment of their receipt of your handwriting sample? I’m taking the bar based on my foreign legal education. Thanks in advance!
Hi, good question! I'm a foreign applicant as well and haven't received any email acknowledgment. I sent the handwriting sample off months ago.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”