MBE Scaling in previous years

skatekate

MBE Scaling in previous years

Postby skatekate » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:12 pm

Would anyone be able to share their raw scores and scaled scores?

I found a bar calculator for CA online (https://one-timers.com/one-timers-bar-exam-calculator/) (my jurisdiction is CA too), but it says a raw score of 119/175 translates into a 144 scaled, which seems oddly high to me. I thought scaling could only increase your score by 10-15 points at most, depending on the year and the test. Then again, I remember Barbri's goals were to score around or above 65% on the MBE (which is 114/175) and you should be on track to pass, so maybe there is some truth to it?

anabasis

Re: MBE Scaling in previous years

Postby anabasis » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:30 pm

Remember that the change to 25 non-scored questions have changed the math a bit, so prior rules of thumb may not be applicable now.

119/175 (*200) = 136. So a scaled score of 144 (out of 200) is quite within the range I would expect, if the "scaled score is a bit higher than raw score" conventional wisdom still holds.

ConfusedL1

Postby ConfusedL1 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:55 pm

I think the boost could be conceivably pretty high, but 15+ per MBE + essays sounds about right.

From JoeSeperac's post in another thread re the boost in essay scores on the NY bar:

If you received a scaled score of 47.82 on a July 2016 MEE answer, this was an exactly passing score. This would have contributed 13.3 points to your total UBE score (which is 5% of 266). If you had exactly passing scores for all 6 MEE answers, this would have contributed 79.8 points to your total UBE score (which is 30% of 266). In theory, the most you could ever get in points on the MEE is 30% of 400, or 120 points (you would have to write 6 model answers). Interestingly, if you answered none of the 6 MEE essays, you would still receive about 35 points towards your total UBE score (meaning you could pass NY with a 170 MBE, above average MPTs and not a word written for the essays).

Toubro

Postby Toubro » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:56 pm

skatekate wrote:Would anyone be able to share their raw scores and scaled scores?

I found a bar calculator for CA online (https://one-timers.com/one-timers-bar-exam-calculator/) (my jurisdiction is CA too), but it says a raw score of 119/175 translates into a 144 scaled, which seems oddly high to me. I thought scaling could only increase your score by 10-15 points at most, depending on the year and the test. Then again, I remember Barbri's goals were to score around or above 65% on the MBE (which is 114/175) and you should be on track to pass, so maybe there is some truth to it?

They don't release raw scores anymore, because it's a waste of time and they are meaningless in raw form. So no one can actually share those with you. Maybe people can share their raw scores on the OPEs/Barbri and their scaled MBE scores, and you can kind of guesstimate the scaling.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”