UBE transfer- Really need advice

musername
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:22 pm

UBE transfer- Really need advice

Postby musername » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:39 pm

Hi all,

I took the UBE in NY last July. Scored a 261. Got a legally related job where bar admission is not required, but ultimately would like to be able to call myself an attorney and eventually/hopefully practice law. I just retook the bar in NY again and have a sickening feeling that I did surpass my 261 score. I am thinking of what to do. Obviously 261 is good enough to get admitted in Minnesota, Missouri, New Mexico, and Alabama. Is it worth trying to get admitted in any of those states if I have no current day intentions to work in any of them? If so, which of these states is the most practical or simplest to get admitted to? Really interested in hearing anyone's experiences who has done this.

Thank you!!

JShades33
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:56 pm

Re: UBE transfer- Really need advice

Postby JShades33 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:32 pm

I got a 264 in Feb and reviewed the requirements for each of the states, MO has the clearest path to licensure.

musername
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:22 pm

Re: UBE transfer- Really need advice

Postby musername » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:35 pm

JShades33 wrote:I got a 264 in Feb and reviewed the requirements for each of the states, MO has the clearest path to licensure.


Thanks. And did you chose to get admitted there? Debating if it's worth it or waste of time and $...

justwanttobealawyer
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:42 pm

Re: UBE transfer- Really need advice

Postby justwanttobealawyer » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:40 am

musername wrote:
JShades33 wrote:I got a 264 in Feb and reviewed the requirements for each of the states, MO has the clearest path to licensure.


Thanks. And did you chose to get admitted there? Debating if it's worth it or waste of time and $...



Following

JShades33
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:56 pm

Re: UBE transfer- Really need advice

Postby JShades33 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:58 pm

musername wrote:
JShades33 wrote:I got a 264 in Feb and reviewed the requirements for each of the states, MO has the clearest path to licensure.


Thanks. And did you chose to get admitted there? Debating if it's worth it or waste of time and $...


I did. I took the Bar again in NJ just now but, like you, felt like I needed to be licensed. It's pretty costly (the most costly out of the available options at $1200) but comparable to the other jurisdictions - off the top of my head I think MN and NM are $1000. The biggest pain is getting fingerprinted as an out-of-state resident, but you can't avoid this with any of the jurisdictions.

I applied to them as soon as my UBE score was ready to be transferred and they cleared my C&F last Friday.

musername
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:22 pm

Re: UBE transfer- Really need advice

Postby musername » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:16 pm

JShades33 wrote:I did. I took the Bar again in NJ just now but, like you, felt like I needed to be licensed. It's pretty costly (the most costly out of the available options at $1200) but comparable to the other jurisdictions - off the top of my head I think MN and NM are $1000. The biggest pain is getting fingerprinted as an out-of-state resident, but you can't avoid this with any of the jurisdictions.

I applied to them as soon as my UBE score was ready to be transferred and they cleared my C&F last Friday.


Thanks so much for entertaining my questions, hah. Ideally, of course, I pray to god that I got a 266 so I can get licensed in NY. However, I am having serious doubts as I know for a fact that I majorly screwed up 2 essays and MBE is a crapshoot, was only averaging 67% on adaptibar so odds arent in my favor.

I am tempted to get admitted somewhere just to be licensed and am okay making a trip or two to one of those states but dont want to waste money if if it will be of no use...

JShades33
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:56 pm

Re: UBE transfer- Really need advice

Postby JShades33 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:27 pm

No problem, you don't actually have to go for anything, the fingerprinting is just a pain because you have to convince a local law enforcement agency to print you with ink which apparently none of them use anymore.
And to be sworn in they mail you the oath paperwork and you can a local attorney you know swear you in, sign it and mail it back.

musername
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:22 pm

Re: UBE transfer- Really need advice

Postby musername » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:20 pm

JShades33 wrote:No problem, you don't actually have to go for anything, the fingerprinting is just a pain because you have to convince a local law enforcement agency to print you with ink which apparently none of them use anymore.
And to be sworn in they mail you the oath paperwork and you can a local attorney you know swear you in, sign it and mail it back.


Well, thanks again, excited for you to pass NJ so most likely your MO license will just be a quirky bonus but please do sure if you find having it is beneficial to your career in any way. I will likely go ahead and go for it before my UBE score expires

JShades33
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:56 pm

Re: UBE transfer- Really need advice

Postby JShades33 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:02 am

musername wrote:
JShades33 wrote:No problem, you don't actually have to go for anything, the fingerprinting is just a pain because you have to convince a local law enforcement agency to print you with ink which apparently none of them use anymore.
And to be sworn in they mail you the oath paperwork and you can a local attorney you know swear you in, sign it and mail it back.


Well, thanks again, excited for you to pass NJ so most likely your MO license will just be a quirky bonus but please do sure if you find having it is beneficial to your career in any way. I will likely go ahead and go for it before my UBE score expires


No problem, will do. Good luck to you as well, let us know how it turns out.

fearless16
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:47 am

Re: UBE transfer- Really need advice

Postby fearless16 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:10 pm

I was in the low 260s and elected to get licensed in New Mexico ... which a very collegial bar. I live in neighboring Arizona so it made sense for me because I could eventually end up there. PM me if you want more information.

musername
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:22 pm

Re: UBE transfer- Really need advice

Postby musername » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:57 pm

BUMP- any new thoughts and takers on this?

Fearless- your choice to get admitted in NM when you live in NM makes sense but for a NY kid like me to get admitted in Missouri is questionable... still thinking about it!!




Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests