How Many Issues Can You Miss on the MEE and Still Pass the Bar Exam?

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
S0M21L

New

How Many Issues Can You Miss on the MEE and Still Pass the Bar Exam?

Postby S0M21L » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:33 am

How many issues can you miss on the MEE and still pass the bar exam? For example, will points be given by examiners for essay answers with any of the following: incomplete rule statements, incorrect rule statements, incomplete analysis, or incorrect analysis? Thank you.

teaearlgreyhot

New

Re: How Many Issues Can You Miss on the MEE and Still Pass the Bar Exam?

Postby teaearlgreyhot » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:31 am

It really depends on how you performed on the other parts of the exam. Here's how it was explained to me by my bar prep class, (disclaimer, this may only be helpful if you're in NY): In NY the passing score is 266. Since the MBE and your written average each count for 50% of your overall score, you're looking for a 133 on each. But, you could score very high on the MBE (let's say 160), making the essay part of your overall score less crucial to your passing: a 160 MBE score means you only need to get a 106 written score, which is very doable.

On each of the essays and the MPTs, you want a score of approximately 50 (scores can range from 20 to 80). If you scored above 50 on any essay or MPT, it helps you toward passing, and if you score below 50, it would weigh you down. Your stronger essays can help make up for your weaker ones, as could a high MBE score, as explained above.

TL;DR It's impossible to tell how you are going to be graded, because grading is a bit of a mystery, but I know people on this forum who skipped an entire essay question, and still passed. So, if you missed some components, or gave an incorrect definition of the law, it does not necessarily mean you failed. Try to stay positive and keep your head up!

cats

New

Postby cats » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:47 am

S0M21L wrote:How many issues can you miss on the MEE and still pass the bar exam? For example, will points be given by examiners for essay answers with any of the following: incomplete rule statements, incorrect rule statements, incomplete analysis, or incorrect analysis? Thank you.

What's your LSAT score?

fire_ice

New

Postby fire_ice » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:05 pm

cats wrote:
S0M21L wrote:How many issues can you miss on the MEE and still pass the bar exam? For example, will points be given by examiners for essay answers with any of the following: incomplete rule statements, incorrect rule statements, incomplete analysis, or incorrect analysis? Thank you.

What's your LSAT score?

Def. higher than yours.

cats

New

Postby cats » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:08 pm

fire_ice wrote:
cats wrote:

What's your LSAT score?

Def. higher than yours.

edwardt1988

Bronze

Postby edwardt1988 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:24 pm

teaearlgreyhot wrote:It really depends on how you performed on the other parts of the exam. Here's how it was explained to me by my bar prep class, (disclaimer, this may only be helpful if you're in NY): In NY the passing score is 266. Since the MBE and your written average each count for 50% of your overall score, you're looking for a 133 on each. But, you could score very high on the MBE (let's say 160), making the essay part of your overall score less crucial to your passing: a 160 MBE score means you only need to get a 106 written score, which is very doable.

On each of the essays and the MPTs, you want a score of approximately 50 (scores can range from 20 to 80). If you scored above 50 on any essay or MPT, it helps you toward passing, and if you score below 50, it would weigh you down. Your stronger essays can help make up for your weaker ones, as could a high MBE score, as explained above.

TL;DR It's impossible to tell how you are going to be graded, because grading is a bit of a mystery, but I know people on this forum who skipped an entire essay question, and still passed. So, if you missed some components, or gave an incorrect definition of the law, it does not necessarily mean you failed. Try to stay positive and keep your head up!

This is putting it mildly. Everyone needs to calm down a bit.

S0M21L

New

Postby S0M21L » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:33 pm

teaearlgreyhot wrote:It really depends on how you performed on the other parts of the exam. Here's how it was explained to me by my bar prep class, (disclaimer, this may only be helpful if you're in NY): In NY the passing score is 266. Since the MBE and your written average each count for 50% of your overall score, you're looking for a 133 on each. But, you could score very high on the MBE (let's say 160), making the essay part of your overall score less crucial to your passing: a 160 MBE score means you only need to get a 106 written score, which is very doable.

Thank you! :-)

JustaQ

New

Postby JustaQ » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:53 pm

In other words, if you totally bombed one of the MPTs, but did really well on the other, you should be where you need to be? Likewise if you can pull the essay split (three really good and three bad). Then it would just come down to the MBE?

teaearlgreyhot

New

Postby teaearlgreyhot » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:10 pm

In other words, if you totally bombed one of the MPTs, but did really well on the other, you should be where you need to be? Likewise if you can pull the essay split (three really good and three bad). Then it would just come down to the MBE?[/quote]

That's how I interpret it. Again, who knows how they grade, but seeing as the written score is an average, the essays that I feel confident about should help make up for the ones that I struggled with. I don't feel so confident in the MBE that my essays wont matter, but I also don't think I am doomed because I messed up x,y,z. And neither should any of you!

At the end of the day, I would rather focus on the things I feel good about and hope for the best, then spend 3 months assuming the worst. (But obviously I am just as nervous as the next person, or I wouldn't be on here the day after the test :wink: )

teaearlgreyhot

New

Postby teaearlgreyhot » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:11 pm

S0M21L wrote:

Thank you! :-)

You're welcome! Keep the faith!

hockeyman969

Bronze

Postby hockeyman969 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:48 pm

I missed more than 6 issues and ended up with a 155 combined MEE and MPT from July 2016, you'll be ok.

S0M21L

New

Postby S0M21L » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:18 pm

hockeyman969 wrote:I missed more than 6 issues and ended up with a 155 combined MEE and MPT from July 2016, you'll be ok.

Thank you :-)

Florence Night

New

Postby Florence Night » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:52 pm

Literally all of them, depending on how you do on the other sections.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum�