Bar exam hangout thread for people who will probably fail.

User avatar
KaleidoscopeDream
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:23 am

Re: Bar exam hangout thread for people who will probably fail.

Postby KaleidoscopeDream » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:16 pm

saywhat88 wrote:anyone else struggling with extreme pangs of anxiety thinking about the day the scores are released? i honestly feel like i have a mini panic attack thinking about what i'm going to say to friends and family about failing and getting over the embarrassment of it all. i didn't finish mpt, feel v mixed on mee and honestly was between two answer choices for 75% of the mbe questions.

i don't know how i'm going to find the energy to study for this again.


ive never seen a post capture exactly how I feel like this. idk how to snap myself out of it. I sometimes even think whether I should just start studying now....

leib10
Posts: 125
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:49 am

Re: Bar exam hangout thread for people who will probably fail.

Postby leib10 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:53 pm

The more I think about it, the more I feel like I failed. My Barbri midterm score was really low, and with Texas's cut score of 135 it feels impossible to get the 675 needed. Plus I screwed up several of the essays. It seems very likely that I failed, and waiting sucks the big one.

Estecontre
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:03 pm

Re: Bar exam hangout thread for people who will probably fail.

Postby Estecontre » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:42 pm

leib10 wrote:The more I think about it, the more I feel like I failed. My Barbri midterm score was really low, and with Texas's cut score of 135 it feels impossible to get the 675 needed. Plus I screwed up several of the essays. It seems very likely that I failed, and waiting sucks the big one.


That cut score for the MBE doesn't really exist. One of the best things about the Texas style of grading is that you can do bad in a section and still be carried over by the other sections.

L_William_W
Posts: 141
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:20 am

Re: Bar exam hangout thread for people who will probably fail.

Postby L_William_W » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:37 pm

I took the exam in a UBE jurisdiction. I'm scared shit of the MPT- I didn't finish the second one. I IRACed the shit out of the MPT's- I hope that was enough.

Out of the six essays, I feel confident in two of them. There were two that I had mixed feelings about. And there were two that I just data dumped and bullshitted my answer. I'm a little concerned about the MBE. The funny thing is that I actually finished early- maybe the questions were shorter than in previous exams. I made sure to double check my answers. There were easy subjects (Torts, Con Law), moderately difficult (Crim, Property, Contracts), difficult (Evidence), and cruel and unusual punishment (Civ Pro).

In about 6 weeks, the results will be released. I'm having nightmares and I'm obsessing over the exam 24/7.

User avatar
Sprout
Posts: 710
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:46 pm

Re: Bar exam hangout thread for people who will probably fail.

Postby Sprout » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:19 pm

leib10 wrote:The more I think about it, the more I feel like I failed. My Barbri midterm score was really low, and with Texas's cut score of 135 it feels impossible to get the 675 needed. Plus I screwed up several of the essays. It seems very likely that I failed, and waiting sucks the big one.

I thought a wills essay was a property essay. go me and fuck the rule against perpetuities

checking in

Estecontre
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:03 pm

Re: Bar exam hangout thread for people who will probably fail.

Postby Estecontre » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:45 pm

Sprout wrote:
leib10 wrote:The more I think about it, the more I feel like I failed. My Barbri midterm score was really low, and with Texas's cut score of 135 it feels impossible to get the 675 needed. Plus I screwed up several of the essays. It seems very likely that I failed, and waiting sucks the big one.

I thought a wills essay was a property essay. go me and fuck the rule against perpetuities

checking in


If you don't mind me asking...how was this possible? Assuming you took Texas this past time around, the essays were pretty identifiable.

On a side note, messing up one essay is not lethal. I think for the most part, a lot of people will mess up at least one essay if not two. I wrote a long post about this before.

leib10
Posts: 125
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:49 am

Re: Bar exam hangout thread for people who will probably fail.

Postby leib10 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:41 am

Estecontre wrote:
Sprout wrote:
leib10 wrote:The more I think about it, the more I feel like I failed. My Barbri midterm score was really low, and with Texas's cut score of 135 it feels impossible to get the 675 needed. Plus I screwed up several of the essays. It seems very likely that I failed, and waiting sucks the big one.

I thought a wills essay was a property essay. go me and fuck the rule against perpetuities

checking in


If you don't mind me asking...how was this possible? Assuming you took Texas this past time around, the essays were pretty identifiable.

On a side note, messing up one essay is not lethal. I think for the most part, a lot of people will mess up at least one essay if not two. I wrote a long post about this before.


I knew what the essays were, but I came to the wrong conclusion on multiple subquestions on multiple essays. I was able to identify the issue for every one (except commercial paper), and I made the best arguments I could on all of the essays, but the conclusions for a lot of the essay subquestions were wrong.

User avatar
Sprout
Posts: 710
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:46 pm

Re: Bar exam hangout thread for people who will probably fail.

Postby Sprout » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:45 am

I took new york not texas and I was running out of time and thrown off by the rule against perpetuities... since I didnt have much time I just assumed it was a real property question without a lot of reflection

Not my best moment

User avatar
dans1006
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:42 pm

Re: Bar exam hangout thread for people who will probably fail.

Postby dans1006 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:01 pm

I walked out of the exam feeling like I failed. I've been given hope by the fact that most people feel that way and still most of them pass. I'm dying right now with about two weeks to go. I really hope the results come out early. Good news or bad news, I just need to know.

User avatar
KaleidoscopeDream
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:23 am

Re: Bar exam hangout thread for people who will probably fail.

Postby KaleidoscopeDream » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:09 pm

dans1006 wrote:I walked out of the exam feeling like I failed. I've been given hope by the fact that most people feel that way and still most of them pass. I'm dying right now with about two weeks to go. I really hope the results come out early. Good news or bad news, I just need to know.


My heart skips a beat each time I get an email and it says the state bar in the subject... They even emailed us yesterday about taking a survey and it was the worst

User avatar
Slytherpuff
Posts: 4707
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:50 pm

Re: Bar exam hangout thread for people who will probably fail.

Postby Slytherpuff » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:22 pm

Don't count yourselves out yet - remember that people have passed while leaving an essay entirely blank. Everyone walks out feeling like they probably failed.

blaze1306
Posts: 151
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:31 pm

Re: Bar exam hangout thread for people who will probably fail.

Postby blaze1306 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:57 pm

KaleidoscopeDream wrote:
dans1006 wrote:I walked out of the exam feeling like I failed. I've been given hope by the fact that most people feel that way and still most of them pass. I'm dying right now with about two weeks to go. I really hope the results come out early. Good news or bad news, I just need to know.


My heart skips a beat each time I get an email and it says the state bar in the subject... They even emailed us yesterday about taking a survey and it was the worst



I know right!!! We got an email yesterday for a State Bar Openhouse...really right when results are suppose to come out!!

User avatar
dans1006
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:42 pm

Re: Bar exam hangout thread for people who will probably fail.

Postby dans1006 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:49 pm

blaze1306 wrote:
KaleidoscopeDream wrote:
dans1006 wrote:I walked out of the exam feeling like I failed. I've been given hope by the fact that most people feel that way and still most of them pass. I'm dying right now with about two weeks to go. I really hope the results come out early. Good news or bad news, I just need to know.


My heart skips a beat each time I get an email and it says the state bar in the subject... They even emailed us yesterday about taking a survey and it was the worst



I know right!!! We got an email yesterday for a State Bar Openhouse...really right when results are suppose to come out!!


That's just wrong. I think that's borderline Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress. Not cool.

blaze1306
Posts: 151
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:31 pm

Re: Bar exam hangout thread for people who will probably fail.

Postby blaze1306 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:17 pm

New Mexico is out and I failed for the third time...I think I'm done

LockBox
Posts: 373
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:05 pm

Re: Bar exam hangout thread for people who will probably fail.

Postby LockBox » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:37 pm

blaze1306 wrote:New Mexico is out and I failed for the third time...I think I'm done


Hey Blaze, really sorry to hear this. While deciding not to take the bar again is a personal choice, I hope you make it when your mind is clear and you're not reeling from just failing the bar. While it might seem dire now, if you believe it could all be erased if you eventually pass then you owe it to yourself to try again. If not, then I wish you the best of luck.

User avatar
KaleidoscopeDream
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:23 am

Re: Bar exam hangout thread for people who will probably fail.

Postby KaleidoscopeDream » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:37 pm

LockBox wrote:
blaze1306 wrote:New Mexico is out and I failed for the third time...I think I'm done


Hey Blaze, really sorry to hear this. While deciding not to take the bar again is a personal choice, I hope you make it when your mind is clear and you're not reeling from just failing the bar. While it might seem dire now, if you believe it could all be erased if you eventually pass then you owe it to yourself to try again. If not, then I wish you the best of luck.


Ditto. Don't beat yourself up over it. All you can do is try your best and hope things work out. Even Justice Cardozo took 5 times before he passed the bar exam on his sixth try. That alone proves that it's never impossible to pass nor is it any indicator of how good of a lawyer you are/can be.

hockeyman969
Posts: 230
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:17 pm

Re: Bar exam hangout thread for people who will probably fail.

Postby hockeyman969 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:30 pm

Take it in another jurisdiction, New Mexico appears to be hard graders, there are plenty of other UBE jurisdictions that may be gentler graders and give you a greater chance of success. Each state grades MPT and MEE and subjectivity is definitely present.

There's a reason why the pass rate went up in say NY after the switch. If you goto a state with a higher pass score then 260 may very well be obtainable.

User avatar
Jmart082
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:52 pm

Re: Bar exam hangout thread for people who will probably fail.

Postby Jmart082 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:00 pm

hockeyman969 wrote:Take it in another jurisdiction, New Mexico appears to be hard graders, there are plenty of other UBE jurisdictions that may be gentler graders and give you a greater chance of success. Each state grades MPT and MEE and subjectivity is definitely present.

There's a reason why the pass rate went up in say NY after the switch. If you goto a state with a higher pass score then 260 may very well be obtainable.

This is good advice. While I tried to do this myself, I ended up failing due to my reliance on old Barbri materials and a complete unwillingness to pay thousands of dollars for a course. Thankfully, I'm in the middle of getting another degree, so no harm done.




Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], Kohawks and 6 guests