Anyone else experience constant bathroom distractions during the Bar Exam? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
cats

New

Re: Anyone else experience constant bathroom distractions during the Bar Exam?

Post by cats » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:47 am

PourMeTea wrote:are you mad about people using adderall, or just people who aren't prescribed it using it?
Just the peeing tbh. If they didn't make such a commotion I'd never notice.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:58 am

cats wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
cats wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:The "you use adderall" comment was totally unnecessary.

Also anecdotes are not data. Plus the exam isn't curved, so who cares what other people do to pass? It won't affect your score.
That was a response to the "isn't any of your business frankly" snark. Notice how I used "frankly."
Still pointless ad hominem. Still a waste of energy to worry about this.
That's not what ad hominem means. I was mocking his snark with snark
1) he's a she
2) why isn't saying she sounds like she uses adderall an ad hominem?

cats

New

Post by cats » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:15 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
cats wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
cats wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:The "you use adderall" comment was totally unnecessary.

Also anecdotes are not data. Plus the exam isn't curved, so who cares what other people do to pass? It won't affect your score.
That was a response to the "isn't any of your business frankly" snark. Notice how I used "frankly."
Still pointless ad hominem. Still a waste of energy to worry about this.
That's not what ad hominem means. I was mocking his snark with snark
1) he's a she
2) why isn't saying she sounds like she uses adderall an ad hominem?
She.
I was attacking her snark, not attacking her personally as a response to her argument.

dans1006

Bronze

Post by dans1006 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:17 am

cats wrote:
dans1006 wrote:
cats wrote:
dans1006 wrote:If I had to guess, the every 20 minute, up and down person probably wasn't popping pills or peeing. They were probably cheating. If you're going into the bathroom that much, you either have a condition or you're checking the index cards you have shoved in your underwear.

I don't know how you could have competently completed that exam while leaving your seat that much though. Even if you have the law down cold, some of those questions are written in such a way as to lead you to one answer until the last couple of facts, where they switch it up completely. If I didn't take the time to slow it down and read carefully. I'm not sure I would have had any chance of passing.
They had the pills out in little bags in their pockets like dime bags. Someone was selling it or giving out tiny bags or something because they all had the same design color.
I don't know. I'm just saying... I've never taken adderal, but unless it would make me read 3 times faster, I simply couldn't have afforded to take more than one very brief break. But maybe you all are just much faster than I am.
The secret is peeing out everything in your body for several hours before the exam. I mean everything. So much that your pee is syrup. Hide everything you own that makes noise or has text other than MBE questions and gradually increase your dose as you do a deep dive into a set of repeating rule lists and flashcards. Then right before you go into the exam take some provigil to clear the fog. You'll easily spit out answers to obscure points of law like a literal robot.
I'm saving this for use in February, if such is necessary.

cats

New

Post by cats » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:24 am

dans1006 wrote:
cats wrote:
dans1006 wrote:
cats wrote:
dans1006 wrote:If I had to guess, the every 20 minute, up and down person probably wasn't popping pills or peeing. They were probably cheating. If you're going into the bathroom that much, you either have a condition or you're checking the index cards you have shoved in your underwear.

I don't know how you could have competently completed that exam while leaving your seat that much though. Even if you have the law down cold, some of those questions are written in such a way as to lead you to one answer until the last couple of facts, where they switch it up completely. If I didn't take the time to slow it down and read carefully. I'm not sure I would have had any chance of passing.
They had the pills out in little bags in their pockets like dime bags. Someone was selling it or giving out tiny bags or something because they all had the same design color.
I don't know. I'm just saying... I've never taken adderal, but unless it would make me read 3 times faster, I simply couldn't have afforded to take more than one very brief break. But maybe you all are just much faster than I am.
The secret is peeing out everything in your body for several hours before the exam. I mean everything. So much that your pee is syrup. Hide everything you own that makes noise or has text other than MBE questions and gradually increase your dose as you do a deep dive into a set of repeating rule lists and flashcards. Then right before you go into the exam take some provigil to clear the fog. You'll easily spit out answers to obscure points of law like a literal robot.
No joke a doctor will give you provigil for shift work disorder symptoms if you ask. It's cheap too.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dans1006

Bronze

Post by dans1006 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:27 am

cats wrote:
dans1006 wrote:
cats wrote:
dans1006 wrote:
cats wrote:

No joke a doctor will give you provigil for shift work disorder symptoms if you ask. It's cheap too.
I'm joking. I'm not taking drugs to pass the bar.

SowhatsNU

Bronze

Post by SowhatsNU » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:29 am

Not sure she was taking adderall, but the girl in front of me went to the bathroom at least 12 times during each three hour session

She kept knocking my table, but aside from the second or two distraction, I didn't think it was such a big deal

cats

New

Post by cats » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:31 am

SowhatsNU wrote:Not sure she was taking adderall, but the girl in front of me went to the bathroom at least 12 times during each three hour session

She kept knocking my table, but aside from the second or two distraction, I didn't think it was such a big deal
I kind of like the distractions after a while. Would love to see a fight break out. Feel like I would just kill it after that.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:34 am

I've used Ritalin in the past (prescribed) and found it helpful. Adderall (also prescribed), not so much. Just made me anxious and had to go to the bathroom a lot (but not so much to pee :shock: ).

In any event, I agree with whomever posted above: if I had to take more than one or two bathroom breaks, meds would have been quickly counterproductive. The focus and energy are good, but they don't fundamentally change the speed at which I can process information by reading. Unless you somehow lose focus on the most important exam of your life, I question how helpful this even is. It's not clear that it's more useful than caffeine. For regular studying, when you're tempted to just watch Netflix instead, sure. But I'm not really seeing all the upside on the MBE...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:37 am

SowhatsNU wrote:Not sure she was taking adderall, but the girl in front of me went to the bathroom at least 12 times during each three hour session

That's crazy to me. That's probably a full half hour of each session. There's no way I could feel confident on the MBE if you just took an hour away from me. Maybe others read much faster than I do ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

cats

New

Post by cats » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:38 am

cron1834 wrote:I've used Ritalin in the past (prescribed) and found it helpful. Adderall (also prescribed), not so much. Just made me anxious and had to go to the bathroom a lot (but not so much to pee :shock: ).

In any event, I agree with whomever posted above: if I had to take more than one or two bathroom breaks, meds would have been quickly counterproductive. The focus and energy are good, but they don't fundamentally change the speed at which I can process information by reading. Unless you somehow lose focus on the most important exam of your life, I question how helpful this even is. It's not clear that it's more useful than caffeine. For regular studying, when you're tempted to just watch Netflix instead, sure. But I'm not really seeing all the upside on the MBE...
It's probably good on the MBE for "matrix mode" where you see the law and are one with it but on creative things it's definitely a detriment. Basically it makes you a torts robot

cats

New

Post by cats » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:40 am

dans1006 wrote: I'm joking. I'm not taking drugs to pass the bar.
cr. lmao at these people

L_William_W

Bronze

Post by L_William_W » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:16 pm

During the afternoon session of day I, I had to take a piss (because I foolishly drank apple juice during the lunch break). I held it in. It's better to wet yourself than have to take the bar again because you pissed away (no pun intended) valuable time.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cats

New

Post by cats » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:17 pm

L_William_W wrote:During the afternoon session of day I, I had to take a piss (because I foolishly drank apple juice during the lunch break). I held it in. It's better to wet yourself than have to take the bar again because you pissed away (no pun intended) valuable time.
I would honestly wear a diaper in front of my classmates.

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:34 pm

I didnt notice anyone going a lot (in fact, in my section I cant remember anyone else going that was within a few seats in front or to my sides) - that being said, not sure why that is all that disruptive unless they were making a scene or were bumping into me (which would be annoying for a second or two but wouldnt ruin my day)...

As for everyone else, I am somewhat surprised to hear that so many people struggle with timing - I was done 37 min and 45 min prior to time being called (AM then PM) and it was similiar in Michigan July 2015 (Passed, 141 MBE) and then in Illinois (Failed, 139 MBE), in many respects I think I finished a bit faster for each other test and had to make myself be sure to read each answer choice even when I was confident of another option (just to make sure) as during practice I got a few wrong because I got overly confident in an asnwer and decided not to waste time...

For better or worse I am decisive with a choice and I usually stick with my guy when debating (it is right more often than not...again from taking enough practice questions to see when I got my 50/50 guesses right and wrong.

I say all that to say this - from what I could glean from the people around me, all seemed to finish early (at least by a few min) and that involved those around me who were reviewing previously answered questions that were marked or flagged for further review....so it doesnt seem like timing was a major issue - which means a bathroom break (or two) of relatively brief times would be ok. Granted, everyone is different and using the time allotted is far from a BAD thing, but I think part of practice tests and prep before the MBE is about setting a pace and creating endurance to get through 100 questions.

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:38 pm

cats wrote:
L_William_W wrote:During the afternoon session of day I, I had to take a piss (because I foolishly drank apple juice during the lunch break). I held it in. It's better to wet yourself than have to take the bar again because you pissed away (no pun intended) valuable time.
I would honestly wear a diaper in front of my classmates.
First - I just laughed so hard I cried...

Two - I was getting "bleecher butt" so bad while sitting in the shitty, metal, folding chairs that I stopped caring and I just started scratching my ass because I couldnt stand it and didnt want to break until I got through the questions - I just thought to myself "fuck it" I am making myself comfortable one way or another...

not guilty

Bronze

Post by not guilty » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:18 pm

Thought it was hilarious how relaxed some people were. Walking around as the test is about to start. Talking with volunteers mid-way through test.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:35 pm

not guilty wrote:Thought it was hilarious how relaxed some people were. Walking around as the test is about to start. Talking with volunteers mid-way through test.
I was one of those types. Would I have got more questions right if I bit my fingernails in my seat for 20 minutes before the test, instead of stretching my legs and breathing for a few minutes before I had to sit down for 3 straight hours?

not guilty

Bronze

Post by not guilty » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:58 pm

cron1834 wrote: I was one of those types. Would I have got more questions right if I bit my fingernails in my seat for 20 minutes before the test, instead of stretching my legs and breathing for a few minutes before I had to sit down for 3 straight hours?
No I mean literally as the test was about to start and also during the test. Some ppl were very relaxed. I'm obviously jealous.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:48 pm

That's definitely more weird. I was nowhere near prepared enough to risk actually losing time.

TheoO

Silver

Post by TheoO » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:54 pm

On my practice exams, I had extra time. But on this, I barely finished. Likely literally with like a minute or two to spare. Went to the bathroom twice. You're sitting in a spot for hours, you're tense and anxious. Your bladder will naturally be your enemy. And many people drink too much water beforehand.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

unitball

New

Post by unitball » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:04 am

ndbigdave wrote: As for everyone else, I am somewhat surprised to hear that so many people struggle with timing - I was done 37 min and 45 min prior to time being called (AM then PM ...

I say all that to say this - from what I could glean from the people around me, all seemed to finish early (at least by a few min) and that involved those around me who were reviewing previously answered questions that were marked or flagged for further review....so it doesnt seem like timing was a major issue - which means a bathroom break (or two) of relatively brief times would be ok. Granted, everyone is different and using the time allotted is far from a BAD thing, but I think part of practice tests and prep before the MBE is about setting a pace and creating endurance to get through 100 questions.

This was my experience as well. I went to the bathroom 3 times because I was pretty nervous. I still finished with lots of time, but that didn't stop my bladder from getting triggered.

dans1006

Bronze

Post by dans1006 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:48 am

unitball wrote:
ndbigdave wrote: As for everyone else, I am somewhat surprised to hear that so many people struggle with timing - I was done 37 min and 45 min prior to time being called (AM then PM ...

This was my experience as well. I went to the bathroom 3 times because I was pretty nervous. I still finished with lots of time, but that didn't stop my bladder from getting triggered.
I genuinely thought I would be in that position as well. During my practice exams I was always finishing up with 30-45 minutes to spare. During both real sessions though (particularly the PM one) I was sprinting towards the end.

It's my own fault. I was having trouble pulling the trigger and moving on, particularly when it felt like the question was designed to walk you down the path to one answer and then at the very last second they hit you with a curve that makes you doubt it. In those situations, in practice I would've put a little ? by the question and pulled the trigger. I applaud the discipline you guys showed in just sticking with the formula. I don't know if that is something they talk about during the various prep courses, but that was a major weak point of mine that I didn't anticipate. If I have to take it again, I'll be working on that.

EzraFitz

Silver

Post by EzraFitz » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:28 am

I went to the bathroom four times during each 3 hour session, excluding the MPT (where I almost peed myself only going once). No medical condition just tiny bladder. I purposefully chose my moments to go when I had just read a long hypo and scanned through the answer choices. Used the minute or two to process like I would have at my desk. Finished both essay sections with 10 minutes to spare, and both MBE sections with 30 minutes to spare. Just gotta time the breaks.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”