How is Bar Passage Rate SOOO high, when the test seems SOOO hard?

SowhatsNU

How is Bar Passage Rate SOOO high, when the test seems SOOO hard?

Postby SowhatsNU » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:26 pm

Wallowing in misery here.

esther0123

Re: How is Bar Passage Rate SOOO high, when the test seems SOOO hard?

Postby esther0123 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:30 pm

I was asking this exact same question. My state has 80+% passrate for first time takers and I have no idea how I'm gonna do this. It's gonna look even worse if I fail the bar with this high of a pass rate.

cnk1220

Postby cnk1220 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:22 am

esther0123 wrote:I was asking this exact same question. My state has 80+% passrate for first time takers and I have no idea how I'm gonna do this. It's gonna look even worse if I fail the bar with this high of a pass rate.

For several reasons- a bare boned answer on the essays is often considered "passing", and you don't need to know 100% of the mbe questions to pass either- around the mid 60% will suffice, also everything is scaled and set to a curve as well, giving you more of a buffer room to pass. Lastly, you are compared to your peer test takers on the scale, all of whom are for the most part overwhelmed, having had the same amount of time to study as you, so nobody is doing perfect on the mbe, or writing perfect essay answers.

MoeS99

Postby MoeS99 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:31 am

Right!? I've been a good test taker my whole life, but I'm getting absolutely crushed by this exam. I'm forgetting information I learned the day before, I'm still confused about major concepts, and I haven't even gotten started on 90% of the MEE subjects.

The high pass rate is both a blessing (confidence booster) and a curse (more embarrassing if I fail).

Alt123

Postby Alt123 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:46 am

34% last sitting in my state.

:))))))))))))))))

Southpaw89

Postby Southpaw89 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:58 am

Can you get a 3-4 on the essays for simply applying the facts well, even if the law isn't accurate?

soonerfreak

Postby soonerfreak » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:11 am

Remember yall, this is a minimum competency exam. The lowest bar a state has set to practice law. Don't study to get the barebones passing score but also don't let yourself get stressed thinking you need to have a perfect test to pass. This isn't law school, there are no grades, no rankings, just pass or not pass.

Samarcan

Postby Samarcan » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:22 pm

In contrast to part of what someone said above, the bar exam (at least NY) is NOT curved.

soonerfreak

Postby soonerfreak » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:12 pm

Samarcan wrote:In contrast to part of what someone said above, the bar exam (at least NY) is NOT curved.

Is that in regards to the essays or they don't even scale the MBE either?

RaceJudicata

Postby RaceJudicata » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:19 pm

soonerfreak wrote:
Samarcan wrote:In contrast to part of what someone said above, the bar exam (at least NY) is NOT curved.

Maybe I'm wading into semantics (and statistics that I don't fully understand)...

But I agree that the bar is not "curved" -- I take 'curve' to imply that a certain number of people must pass. However, the exam is definitely scaled in a way that makes it comparable to past exams.

Toubro

Postby Toubro » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:27 am

RaceJudicata wrote:
soonerfreak wrote:

Maybe I'm wading into semantics (and statistics that I don't fully understand)...

But I agree that the bar is not "curved" -- I take 'curve' to imply that a certain number of people must pass. However, the exam is definitely scaled in a way that makes it comparable to past exams.

Yes, there's no curve, just like the LSAT. It just happens to be that you get neat little bells each time but you can see below that they're not identical each time (something you'd expect with a strictly-enforced curve).

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”