Seeking advice for final 3 weeks prep, UBE retaker

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
falcons123

New

Seeking advice for final 3 weeks prep, UBE retaker

Postby falcons123 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:32 pm

Hey guys! I am looking for some advice on these final few weeks before the bar because I want to make sure I am utilizing my time as effectively as possible.

I took the UBE for the first time in February. My state is a 50% MBE and 50% writing (30% MEE and 20% MPT). I scored a scaled 126 on the MBE and got a 253 in total. I need a 266 to pass in my jurisdiction.

One thing I did very differently this time studying is that I did not waste my time on lectures, and have been memorizing substantive law with outlines and critical pass note cards, as well as doing a lot of practice MBE questions, primarily out of a kaplan book. I realized my biggest weakness on the MBE was property, as I was barely able to answer those questions in February. It still remains the hardest subject for me on multiple choice but I have been getting better. I wouldnt be surprised if I got maybe 5/25 on prop in Feb, but I have finally started to see some noticeable improvement. I am pretty consistent across the board in other MBE subjects, but have been covering areas I have identified as particularly troublesome as of late.

I also noted that a big issue in Feb was my timing on the MPT, so I have been doing some practice MPT's under timed conditions to try to solidify my performance on that part. I have been doing some essay practice but mostly been outlining answers. Having more substantive info memorized has made the essays a lot more manageable.

So with all that being said, I have carved out a schedule for the next few weeks (I have to work basically full time so I started studying a good while ago) focusing on my weak areas, lots of practice questions, etc., but I want to make sure I am properly dividing my time between the improvement needed on the MBE vs the two writing sections in order to maximize my chances of success.

Any thoughts or guidance from those that have been successful or been in a similar type of situation as mine would be greatly appreciated. Best of luck to everyone else taking this in July!

LockBox

Bronze

Re: Seeking advice for final 3 weeks prep, UBE retaker

Postby LockBox » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:13 pm

falcons123 wrote:Hey guys! I am looking for some advice on these final few weeks before the bar because I want to make sure I am utilizing my time as effectively as possible.

I took the UBE for the first time in February. My state is a 50% MBE and 50% writing (30% MEE and 20% MPT). I scored a scaled 126 on the MBE and got a 253 in total. I need a 266 to pass in my jurisdiction.

One thing I did very differently this time studying is that I did not waste my time on lectures, and have been memorizing substantive law with outlines and critical pass note cards, as well as doing a lot of practice MBE questions, primarily out of a kaplan book. I realized my biggest weakness on the MBE was property, as I was barely able to answer those questions in February. It still remains the hardest subject for me on multiple choice but I have been getting better. I wouldnt be surprised if I got maybe 5/25 on prop in Feb, but I have finally started to see some noticeable improvement. I am pretty consistent across the board in other MBE subjects, but have been covering areas I have identified as particularly troublesome as of late.

I also noted that a big issue in Feb was my timing on the MPT, so I have been doing some practice MPT's under timed conditions to try to solidify my performance on that part. I have been doing some essay practice but mostly been outlining answers. Having more substantive info memorized has made the essays a lot more manageable.

So with all that being said, I have carved out a schedule for the next few weeks (I have to work basically full time so I started studying a good while ago) focusing on my weak areas, lots of practice questions, etc., but I want to make sure I am properly dividing my time between the improvement needed on the MBE vs the two writing sections in order to maximize my chances of success.

Any thoughts or guidance from those that have been successful or been in a similar type of situation as mine would be greatly appreciated. Best of luck to everyone else taking this in July!

You'll find a lot of recommendations on this forum in terms of how to study to retain the substantive law. One tip that I would add is make sure your work is polished. Make use of headings, white space etc. The graders have a limited time to read it so ask yourself what their impression is after glancing at your writing for 3 seconds. Does it look like a lawyer wrote it? That's the goal. Good luck in the remaining weeks.

S0M21L

New

Postby S0M21L » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:51 pm

falcons123 wrote:Hey guys! I am looking for some advice on these final few weeks before the bar because I want to make sure I am utilizing my time as effectively as possible.

HANG IN THERE! BE KIND TO YOURSELF AND STAY OPTIMISTIC!

SilvermanBarPrep

Bronze

Postby SilvermanBarPrep » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:51 pm

The fact that you're seeing an improvement in Property is really very promising. During the last few weeks divide up your time into two components:

(1): Memorizing the law you'll need for the exam.

(2): Practicing the skill of applying the law you'll be memorizing in (1) above.

This is the game. When one component is focused on to the sacrifice of the other it's dangerous. Regarding (2) you should be working through practice MBE questions. This is how you learn how to apply the law to that component of the exam. For essays, we may be at the point where it's a bit late to be writing out essay answers but download the old exams provided on the NCBE website so that you can see the kind of application that they are expecting in your responses.

Focus on honing these two components and you are working on the right track to improving to the extent necessary to pass this exam.

Sean
Silverman Bar Exam Tutoring.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum�