Is it worth it to write out MPTs?

ConfusedL1

Is it worth it to write out MPTs?

Postby ConfusedL1 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:56 pm

I wrote out one for Barbri because they would grade it, but it seems like a waste of time to write out anything else.

Is the better call at this point to just make sure I know the types of MPT issues and have a set strategy for reviewing the material quickly?

cnk1220

Re: Is it worth it to write out MPTs?

Postby cnk1220 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:00 pm

ConfusedL1 wrote:I wrote out one for Barbri because they would grade it, but it seems like a waste of time to write out anything else.

Is the better call at this point to just make sure I know the types of MPT issues and have a set strategy for reviewing the material quickly?

Don't bother practicing to write them out as i'm sure you know it's closed universe and you can't factually prepare- just go over the different types of MPTs so you aren't surprised on the exam and know the proper format to use for the persuasive brief, objective memo, client and demand letters, etc.

You get points for proper formatting and having an intro (to/from/re/date) and heading (case name/court for example) if applicable, so make sure you know which intro/heading to use for which- this will save you time and prevent panic mode on the exam, good luck!

Elle.Woods

Postby Elle.Woods » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:41 am

Personally, I found it helpful to write out the MPT (3 so far) under timed conditions instead of just reviewing or outlining - if you have time. I've had time management issues on other tests before (law school and LSAT), and it helped me nail down a strategy of how to digest/write out the law and the facts with time to spare.

happyhour1122

Postby happyhour1122 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:27 pm

oh yes- do practice maybe 2 or 3 so you know how to organize the formats in your sleep.

ndp1234

Postby ndp1234 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:53 pm

I also found it helpful to write out the MPTs for timing purposes. IMO, not all MPTs asking for the same type document are the same. The materials could be longer or shorter and affects your timing, or asking for lengthier analyses (i.e analyzing 9 factors instead of 3); some topics are completely unfamiliar so much so that it takes longer to digest the info (even though it's close universe).

Tiredbuthappyitsover

Postby Tiredbuthappyitsover » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:58 pm

I'd say practice one or two, max, to make sure you can answer the question within your time constraints. But after that, just make sure you know to format and organize your answers for different things they might ask you to do (memo, brief, appeal, motion, etc.).

TheoO

Postby TheoO » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:16 pm

Write a couple and then just look at the model answer for the different formats. I think this is the most important part: if you know how to organize it properly.

soonerfreak

Postby soonerfreak » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:25 pm

I've only written out three and I'm feeling pretty good. The first one kaplan had us write and the two from the practice MEE. I felt solid about all three so I'm gonna focus on other issues.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”