Study Burnout Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
RaceJudicata

Gold

Study Burnout

Post by RaceJudicata » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:57 pm

I feel like I am hitting a wall. Using Barbri and supplementing with Adaptibar.

Signs of burnout:

- Scores are either not improving, or more troubling, are getting worse.
- I am having trouble balancing progressing on current assignments vs. going back to review older material.
- Generally worn out -- WAY more tired than usual
- Overall lack of focus -- typically how it plays out: I start reviewing [subject], then my mind wanders to my perceived lack of knowledge on another subject, so I shift to that subject ... then the process repeats. FWIW, I have never had a remote issue with ADD... I'd attribute it more to anxiety.

Does anyone have any tips on how to overcome this wall I feel myself hitting? I know there is a long way to go, and I am definitely putting (too much) pressure on myself, so I have to get over this.

But any advice/tips/tricks would be greatly appreciated.

SilvermanBarPrep

Bronze

Re: Study Burnout

Post by SilvermanBarPrep » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:00 pm

You need a day away from studying. I completely understand the guilt that tends to be associated with taking a full day off from studying, but from what you've described here it sounds like whatever you'll lose from that day might be made up by just returning to the material a bit more rested, etc. At least give it a try; I tutor a lot of students and it's always around this time (1 month before the exam) that burnout sets in!

Sean (Silverman Bar Exam Tutoring)

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:04 pm

I took an entire day off of studying last weekend for a friend's birthday, and between that and getting 'back into a regularly-scheduled lifting routine, I feel like I've had much more energy since.

Take a break.
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

happyhour1122

Silver

Post by happyhour1122 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:09 pm

runinthefront wrote:I took an entire day off of studying last weekend for a friend's birthday, and between that and getting 'back into a regularly-scheduled lifting routine, I feel like I've had much more energy since.

Take a break.

+1

Rolly

New

Post by Rolly » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:23 pm

Echoing the above and adding...any sort of movement! Doesn't matter if you're doing yoga, running, lifting, or just walking and putzing around (my favorite). We are hardwired (something about neurotrophic growth factors, idk) to enhance learning, memory, and mood by movement. Burnout for me is always--at least in part--chemical. It's amazing the effect just a little bit of oxygen can have.

It's hard to take time away from something that is so demanding and time sensitive, but I try to see movement as something that compounds all of my other efforts.

Best of luck. I am also doing bar prep and feeling the same way sometimes.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tiredbuthappyitsover

New

Post by Tiredbuthappyitsover » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:28 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:I feel like I am hitting a wall. Using Barbri and supplementing with Adaptibar.

Signs of burnout:

- Scores are either not improving, or more troubling, are getting worse.
- I am having trouble balancing progressing on current assignments vs. going back to review older material.
- Generally worn out -- WAY more tired than usual
- Overall lack of focus -- typically how it plays out: I start reviewing [subject], then my mind wanders to my perceived lack of knowledge on another subject, so I shift to that subject ... then the process repeats. FWIW, I have never had a remote issue with ADD... I'd attribute it more to anxiety.

Does anyone have any tips on how to overcome this wall I feel myself hitting? I know there is a long way to go, and I am definitely putting (too much) pressure on myself, so I have to get over this.

But any advice/tips/tricks would be greatly appreciated.
Perhaps you could exercise, take a day away from studying, AND start studying early enough in the morning every morning after your day-long holiday so that you can complete your studies by a reasonable time in the evening (for example, maybe 8 PM?). So then you can have a few hours to relax in the evenings before bedtime. I found this crucial so that I didn't go insane every day-there's only so much you can accomplish in a day and your sanity/staying calm is the most important thing to preserve for the test (because without good exposure, concentration, and focus no amount of studying you do will be good enough). But of course, studying is really important too.

On your day off, go do something outdoors that's totally the opposite of studying, like going on roller coasters or hiking or swimming etc. I'd say watching a funny movie would be incredibly helpful too.

MrWhitman

New

Post by MrWhitman » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:44 pm

Same advice. Stop studying for one day. You'll be fine! Eat well, take a few naps, occupy yourself with relaxing activities or something physical. I usually avoid tv when I feel this way because it overstimulates. Try to spend time with someone who is significant to you and makes you laugh / relax.

MelaPela

New

Post by MelaPela » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:31 pm

+1 to all of the above. I started studying May 22 and was non-stop (except for a weekend where I was at a bachelorette in early June) and was burning out last week. Taking a day (or two!) off will be a big help. Also, try and set up a routine where you do something away from your computer at a certain time in the evening everyday - take a walk for 30 minutes, work out, whatever it is. You need to let your mind rest!

mimim8

New

Post by mimim8 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:33 pm

I was feeling exactly the same way about 2 weeks ago.

I didn't want to drive through LA traffic to get out and waste 2 hours on a 30 minute activity. My lack of focus is fueled by anxiety, which also drains all our energy so I was ridiculously tired ALL the time. I bought a 30 minute yoga DVD. I am NOT a yoga person but I figured I'd give it a shot. I pop that thing in every day in the morning or at around noon when I'm starting to wander, and it's been awesome for me. It helps me calm down, gives me the right amount of energy, and I do feel my mind starting to clear up after it. I'm not saying this is a cure all, but some sort of physical activity in a controlled environment I've found works for me. Close facebook, and anything that's over stimulating.

Good luck to us all!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mimim8

New

Post by mimim8 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:43 pm

Also about the balancing of the new material with the reviewing the old material, having taken (and passed) a few bars before, right about now is the time that you will undoubtedly feel like that, we all do.

Having said that, right about now is also the time that you start assessing the time you have left, the program assignments and work a schedule that works for you. I've found that I always end up deviating a little from the proposed Barbri plan. I try to accomplish what they want me to do, but I end up moving the pieces a little bit so that the anxiety of "I haven't reviewed or even touched Real Property in 4 weeks" (I haven't actually lol) doesn't overpower me, making the study for my CURRENT topic less productive.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:52 pm

Thank you everyone! These suggestions are great :)

Glad to hear (selfishly) that others are/have been in a similar boat. Going to make a conscious effort to take a walk or quick jog around lunch time to clear my head. ...Also will definitely be taking a day off.

Carly

New

Post by Carly » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:50 pm

echo all advice suggesting to take a break. was also feeling this way last week (and i work full time) and I took a full saturday off. slept in, netflixed some shows, actually saw sunlight on a walk and saw my friends for dinner (who knew people still did that?!) and felt like a brand new person the next day.

i've also made a hard and fast rule that one night a week i won't study- for about 3 weeks straight i took no breaks and i reached a point that i thought my anxiety attacks were coming back (no bueno). now friday nights (after some studying on my train ride home, so I quit for the day around 7:30-8) are totally off limits. i eat, watch a show and go to sleep early enough to wake up saturday morning to crank studying out.

LockBox

Bronze

Post by LockBox » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:44 pm

Obviously all of the advice above is credited, esp taking time off. When you come back, though, this is what I would recommend.

First, don't get bogged down with the "big picture" - as in, don't worry about passing vs. failing etc. Set daily goals (e.g., x # of MBE's, y # of essays/PT's) and make sure you hit those goals!

Second, study hard for a set number of minutes then take a mini-break. So, i'd study for 50 minutes to 1 hour, then take a mandatory 10 minute break regardless of whether I wanted to. Let your mind refresh. Go on reddit or TLS. Do this over and over.

Lastly, while people tend to 'cram' more towards the end, I felt like the leg work for the exam was mainly lifted in June. So, study hard during the week and give yourself the weekend off. Obviously, you'll have to assess where you are at, but there is definitely a point of diminishing returns. So, studying 7 days a week, 20 hours a day is NOT going to be beneficial. Spend your work hours working hard, and take a sufficient amount of time off to recharge and get back to it.

Just a few more weeks. Grind it out and it'll be over.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Toubro

Bronze

Post by Toubro » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:43 pm

I had the same issue re: improving. Someone at Barbri told me that the questions sets get progressively harder -- so as long as you're hitting target (or even if you're not I guess), it shouldn't be an issue.

Smiddywesson

Bronze

Post by Smiddywesson » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:51 pm

LockBox wrote:Obviously all of the advice above is credited, esp taking time off. When you come back, though, this is what I would recommend.

First, don't get bogged down with the "big picture" - as in, don't worry about passing vs. failing etc. Set daily goals (e.g., x # of MBE's, y # of essays/PT's) and make sure you hit those goals!

Second, study hard for a set number of minutes then take a mini-break. So, i'd study for 50 minutes to 1 hour, then take a mandatory 10 minute break regardless of whether I wanted to. Let your mind refresh. Go on reddit or TLS. Do this over and over.

Lastly, while people tend to 'cram' more towards the end, I felt like the leg work for the exam was mainly lifted in June. So, study hard during the week and give yourself the weekend off. Obviously, you'll have to assess where you are at, but there is definitely a point of diminishing returns. So, studying 7 days a week, 20 hours a day is NOT going to be beneficial. Spend your work hours working hard, and take a sufficient amount of time off to recharge and get back to it.

Just a few more weeks. Grind it out and it'll be over.
This thread about burnout is worth resurrecting. I didn't feel burnt out, but I took whatever time I needed. There weren't that many whole days I took off, but distinctly remember some 4-6 hour days and walking away because of diminishing returns. Some advice that worked well for me was studying an hour and then getting up and doing something. Later that was two hours, and slowly I ramped it up to two four hour sessions because that's how we roll on test day. I must say it worked out really well. Other than standing up to stretch, I didn't need any breaks during the test and the time passed scary fast. I also didn't experience any of the fatigue I'd normally feel going down the stretch of the last 20-30 MBE questions. Therefore, my advice is chip away at that mountain of things you must learn, but really ramp up the hours in the last few weeks leading into the test.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”