Explained: How Barbri calculates MBE percentiles

User avatar
nickpapagiorgio
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:05 pm

Explained: How Barbri calculates MBE percentiles

Postby nickpapagiorgio » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:22 pm

Wanted to relay some info I just got from my girlfriend, who spoke with a Barbri rep from HQ this morning. He explained how Barbri calculates percentiles in StudySmart MBE and in the weekly progress report.

tldr: Take these rankings with a grain of salt. The simulated MBE is going to give you the most accurate picture of how you rank with other students. The MBE/progress percentiles are ballparks.

Weekly Progress by Subject - Percentile Ranking
http://esc.barbri.com/enrolledStudentCenter/myProgress.html (select the vertical bar chart)
  • Updated every Monday
  • Only compares you with those taking the bar exam in your jurisdiction
  • Calculates percentiles based on assignments assigned for that week only. Does not include extra assignments you do.

StudySmart MBE Percentile
http://esc.barbri.com/enrolledStudentCenter/studySmartMBE.html (select View Results → Percentile Rank)
  • Updated nightly
  • Compares you with everyone taking BarBri, not just those in your jurisdiction
  • Uses the most recently-inputted answer on any given question. For example, if you do ConLaw set one and get 9/18, then a week later do ConLaw Set 1 again and get a 15/18, then your percentile will reflect 15/18 for those questions; your responses on the first attempt are ignored.

Hope this helps. And hopefully the information I relayed is 100% accurate.

The guy said these comparisons are only useful in July and that the only really like-to-like comparison of students is for the simulated MBE assigned at the end of June.

JustaQ
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:44 pm

Re: Explained: How Barbri calculates MBE percentiles

Postby JustaQ » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:36 pm

Thanks for this. If you're in NY, would that mean compared to only NY people or to all UBE people?

User avatar
nickpapagiorgio
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:05 pm

Re: Explained: How Barbri calculates MBE percentiles

Postby nickpapagiorgio » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:50 pm

JustaQ wrote:Thanks for this. If you're in NY, would that mean compared to only NY people or to all UBE people?


The weekly progress will reflect only NY. The StudySmart is all people.

ConfusedL1
Posts: 277
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:53 pm

Re: Explained: How Barbri calculates MBE percentiles

Postby ConfusedL1 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:58 pm

nickpapagiorgio wrote:Wanted to relay some info I just got from my girlfriend, who spoke with a Barbri rep from HQ this morning. He explained how Barbri calculates percentiles in StudySmart MBE and in the weekly progress report.

tldr: Take these rankings with a grain of salt. The simulated MBE is going to give you the most accurate picture of how you rank with other students. The MBE/progress percentiles are ballparks.

Weekly Progress by Subject - Percentile Ranking
http://esc.barbri.com/enrolledStudentCenter/myProgress.html (select the vertical bar chart)
  • Updated every Monday
  • Only compares you with those taking the bar exam in your jurisdiction
  • Calculates percentiles based on assignments assigned for that week only. Does not include extra assignments you do.

StudySmart MBE Percentile
http://esc.barbri.com/enrolledStudentCenter/studySmartMBE.html (select View Results → Percentile Rank)
  • Updated nightly
  • Compares you with everyone taking BarBri, not just those in your jurisdiction
  • Uses the most recently-inputted answer on any given question. For example, if you do ConLaw set one and get 9/18, then a week later do ConLaw Set 1 again and get a 15/18, then your percentile will reflect 15/18 for those questions; your responses on the first attempt are ignored.

Hope this helps. And hopefully the information I relayed is 100% accurate.

The guy said these comparisons are only useful in July and that the only really like-to-like comparison of students is for the simulated MBE assigned at the end of June.


thanks, super useful!

Do you know where we should be in jurisdictional percentages? Like, does it vary?

User avatar
vivala
Posts: 250
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:34 pm

Re: Explained: How Barbri calculates MBE percentiles

Postby vivala » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:03 pm

Is there any way to see percentiles on the mixed question sets?

User avatar
sam91
Posts: 138
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:03 pm

Re: Explained: How Barbri calculates MBE percentiles

Postby sam91 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:23 pm

vivala wrote:Is there any way to see percentiles on the mixed question sets?


Interested in this as well!

User avatar
nickpapagiorgio
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:05 pm

Re: Explained: How Barbri calculates MBE percentiles

Postby nickpapagiorgio » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:39 pm

vivala wrote:Is there any way to see percentiles on the mixed question sets?


You can see how you compare by subtopic by clicking the triangle to the left of each subject (see link below). Don't see a way to rank on mixed subject tests, though.

http://imgur.com/a/Licvt




Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: adil91, AspiringCALawyer, oxie and 9 guests