Barbri Simulated MBE

frekkingoutnow
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:07 am

Re: Barbri Simulated MBE

Postby frekkingoutnow » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:16 am

got 82 as a raw score. Do i still have a chance to pass the NY bar? :(
Last edited by frekkingoutnow on Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

barexam2017
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:39 am

Re: Barbri Simulated MBE

Postby barexam2017 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:42 am

Doing CA bar. I got 164/200 on the simulated MBE (98 percentile). Still absolutely terrified I will fail.

Bobby_Axelrod
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:46 pm

Re: Barbri Simulated MBE

Postby Bobby_Axelrod » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:46 am

barexam2017 wrote:Doing CA bar. I got 164/200 on the simulated MBE (98 percentile). Still absolutely terrified I will fail.


Trolling game weak af.

User avatar
pancakes3
Posts: 6184
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:49 pm

Re: Barbri Simulated MBE

Postby pancakes3 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:20 pm

I scored 30-40% right for Contracts/Property, 80-90% right for ConLaw/CivPro. Crim/Evidience/Torts were in the 50's. What a weird breakdown.

thegrayman
Posts: 525
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 5:56 pm

Re: Barbri Simulated MBE

Postby thegrayman » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:30 pm

frekkingoutnow wrote:got 82 as a real score. Do i still have a chance to pass the NY bar? :(


Would you chalk up your performance more to nerves or actual lack of knowledge?

User avatar
runthetrap1990
Posts: 431
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:38 pm

Re: Barbri Simulated MBE

Postby runthetrap1990 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:36 pm

For whatever reason, the two worst subjects for me during the MPQs were my two best on the simulated exam, and my two "best" in the MPQs were by far my two worst.

Is it just me though, or does it seem like the Barbri questions are super nitty gritty and more gotcha than anything? That's what's making me feel so weird about this whole thing. I'm worried it's not actually reflective of what game day will be like.

User avatar
BenjarvusGreenEllis
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:40 pm

Re: Barbri Simulated MBE

Postby BenjarvusGreenEllis » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:06 pm

runthetrap1990 wrote:For whatever reason, the two worst subjects for me during the MPQs were my two best on the simulated exam, and my two "best" in the MPQs were by far my two worst.

Is it just me though, or does it seem like the Barbri questions are super nitty gritty and more gotcha than anything? That's what's making me feel so weird about this whole thing. I'm worried it's not actually reflective of what game day will be like.


They do have a gotcha feel to them. I kinda like that for learning the material though because I'm less likely to repeat mistakes if I get that type of question wrong a couple of times.

frekkingoutnow
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:07 am

Re: Barbri Simulated MBE

Postby frekkingoutnow » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:36 pm

thegrayman wrote:
frekkingoutnow wrote:got 82 as a real score. Do i still have a chance to pass the NY bar? :(


Would you chalk up your performance more to nerves or actual lack of knowledge?


Both. Plus I'm a non-JD student. any tips on how to better work it up these last few weeks?

User avatar
Alt123
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:36 pm

Re: Barbri Simulated MBE

Postby Alt123 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:53 pm

135/200, 75th percentile.

User avatar
Yazzzay
Posts: 289
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:08 pm

Re: Barbri Simulated MBE

Postby Yazzzay » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:04 pm

runthetrap1990 wrote:For whatever reason, the two worst subjects for me during the MPQs were my two best on the simulated exam, and my two "best" in the MPQs were by far my two worst.

Is it just me though, or does it seem like the Barbri questions are super nitty gritty and more gotcha than anything? That's what's making me feel so weird about this whole thing. I'm worried it's not actually reflective of what game day will be like.


YES- SAME. Did the worst on the topics I felt best at- went on Adaptibar the next day and was going from getting so many Contracts & Evidence questions wrong to getting nearly 30 in a row correct each? I seriously feel it was very arbitrary and intentionally difficult to make us work harder. 2 FL bar takers last year who got bottom 15% on simulated and then passed by a substantial margin. I don't know what to think.

User avatar
vivala
Posts: 250
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:34 pm

Re: Barbri Simulated MBE

Postby vivala » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:07 pm

Does anyone else find their subtopic percentiles a little strange? For example, I got 3/4 subject matter jurisdiction questions correct but I'm in the 17th percentile...Is everyone else really an SMJ genius?

Spartan_Alum_12
Posts: 140
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:14 pm

Re: Barbri Simulated MBE

Postby Spartan_Alum_12 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:17 pm

FYI, I got a 129/200 on the simulated MBE last summer and passed CA.

nmic
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:55 pm

Re: Barbri Simulated MBE

Postby nmic » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:23 pm

vivala wrote:Does anyone else find their subtopic percentiles a little strange? For example, I got 3/4 subject matter jurisdiction questions correct but I'm in the 17th percentile...Is everyone else really an SMJ genius?


I was also wondering about this. Got the same 3/4 = 17th percentile for SMJ. And what about the 100% ones? For example, I got 5/5 mortgages Qs correct but am in the 88th percentile. Not sure how this works.

User avatar
Yazzzay
Posts: 289
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:08 pm

Re: Barbri Simulated MBE

Postby Yazzzay » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:26 pm

nmic wrote:
vivala wrote:Does anyone else find their subtopic percentiles a little strange? For example, I got 3/4 subject matter jurisdiction questions correct but I'm in the 17th percentile...Is everyone else really an SMJ genius?


I was also wondering about this. Got the same 3/4 = 17th percentile for SMJ. And what about the 100% ones? For example, I got 5/5 mortgages Qs correct but am in the 88th percentile. Not sure how this works.


Pretty sure percentiles mean you got better than that % of people? So with your 5/5 you got better than 88% of people but 12% got the same. And for 3/4 you did better than 17% of people but 83% did the same or better.

User avatar
barkschool
Posts: 924
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:05 am

Re: Barbri Simulated MBE

Postby barkschool » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:32 pm

Yazzzay wrote:
nmic wrote:
vivala wrote:Does anyone else find their subtopic percentiles a little strange? For example, I got 3/4 subject matter jurisdiction questions correct but I'm in the 17th percentile...Is everyone else really an SMJ genius?


I was also wondering about this. Got the same 3/4 = 17th percentile for SMJ. And what about the 100% ones? For example, I got 5/5 mortgages Qs correct but am in the 88th percentile. Not sure how this works.


Pretty sure percentiles mean you got better than that % of people? So with your 5/5 you got better than 88% of people but 12% got the same. And for 3/4 you did better than 17% of people but 83% did the same or better.


not hard to believe people rock SMJ but less rock mortgages (many schools didn't cover)

User avatar
tyrant_flycatcher
Posts: 128
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:05 pm

Re: Barbri Simulated MBE

Postby tyrant_flycatcher » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:34 am

Percentiles changed again last night. Got a 1% bump. Means next to nothing, but it's good to see.

Brian_Wildcat
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:44 pm

Re: Barbri Simulated MBE

Postby Brian_Wildcat » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:04 pm

vivala wrote:Does anyone else find their subtopic percentiles a little strange? For example, I got 3/4 subject matter jurisdiction questions correct but I'm in the 17th percentile...Is everyone else really an SMJ genius?



I got 4/4 and somehow I am 55%. Oh well. idc.

Tiredbuthappyitsover
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:45 pm

Re: Barbri Simulated MBE

Postby Tiredbuthappyitsover » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:39 pm

frekkingoutnow wrote:
thegrayman wrote:
frekkingoutnow wrote:got 82 as a real score. Do i still have a chance to pass the NY bar? :(


Would you chalk up your performance more to nerves or actual lack of knowledge?


Both. Plus I'm a non-JD student. any tips on how to better work it up these last few weeks?


You should consider focusing heavily on Adaptibar MBE questions for your MBE prep. It helped me A LOT with my MBE performance, like tons. PM me if you want an Adaptibar discount code.

If you're into flashcards, Critical Pass could help you with rules of law as well. I am a HUGE fan of those.

Thrive
Posts: 107
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:01 am

Re: Barbri Simulated MBE

Postby Thrive » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:10 am

Goal is 165 scaled. Got a 130 on the barbri sim. Any thoughts on how to get there?

User avatar
t-14orbust
Posts: 2124
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:43 pm

Re: Barbri Simulated MBE

Postby t-14orbust » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:09 am

Thrive wrote:Goal is 165 scaled. Got a 130 on the barbri sim. Any thoughts on how to get there?


That's like the 94th%ile. You definitely don't need to aim for 165

User avatar
Toubro
Posts: 230
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:18 pm

Re: Barbri Simulated MBE

Postby Toubro » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:41 am

t-14orbust wrote:
Thrive wrote:Goal is 165 scaled. Got a 130 on the barbri sim. Any thoughts on how to get there?


That's like the 94th%ile. You definitely don't need to aim for 165


Haha yeah. Maybe if you want to tutor for the MBE on the side? No state would need such a high score otherwise.

Thrive
Posts: 107
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:01 am

Re: Barbri Simulated MBE

Postby Thrive » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:20 am

Toubro wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:
Thrive wrote:Goal is 165 scaled. Got a 130 on the barbri sim. Any thoughts on how to get there?


That's like the 94th%ile. You definitely don't need to aim for 165


Haha yeah. Maybe if you want to tutor for the MBE on the side? No state would need such a high score otherwise.


I know. But I think it would settle my nerves about the essay portion.

User avatar
cnk1220
Posts: 985
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:48 pm

Re: Barbri Simulated MBE

Postby cnk1220 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:55 pm

Thrive wrote:Goal is 165 scaled. Got a 130 on the barbri sim. Any thoughts on how to get there?



I got a 133 on the barbri sim- 150 on the real mbe. You'll likely get 10-15 points higher on average on the real exam, given the few weeks left of studying. Like others said- you don't need a 165 to pass. With my 150 I passed comfortably.

SowhatsNU
Posts: 179
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:15 pm

Re: Barbri Simulated MBE

Postby SowhatsNU » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:12 pm

cnk1220 wrote:
Thrive wrote:Goal is 165 scaled. Got a 130 on the barbri sim. Any thoughts on how to get there?



I got a 133 on the barbri sim- 150 on the real mbe. You'll likely get 10-15 points higher on average on the real exam, given the few weeks left of studying. Like others said- you don't need a 165 to pass. With my 150 I passed comfortably.


What do we need on the real MBE? I thought they said we only need like a 126 raw right?

Also, anyone have a gameplan on how we should divy up our precious study time between MEE and MBE prep? By MEE I mean stuff that isn't on the MBE (Wills, Trusts, Secured Transactions, etc.)

Like it'll take time to memorize all those rules, and I don't even have everything down pat for the MBE stuff..

User avatar
cnk1220
Posts: 985
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:48 pm

Re: Barbri Simulated MBE

Postby cnk1220 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:45 pm

SowhatsNU wrote:
cnk1220 wrote:
Thrive wrote:Goal is 165 scaled. Got a 130 on the barbri sim. Any thoughts on how to get there?



I got a 133 on the barbri sim- 150 on the real mbe. You'll likely get 10-15 points higher on average on the real exam, given the few weeks left of studying. Like others said- you don't need a 165 to pass. With my 150 I passed comfortably.


What do we need on the real MBE? I thought they said we only need like a 126 raw right?

Also, anyone have a gameplan on how we should divy up our precious study time between MEE and MBE prep? By MEE I mean stuff that isn't on the MBE (Wills, Trusts, Secured Transactions, etc.)

Like it'll take time to memorize all those rules, and I don't even have everything down pat for the MBE stuff..



Well a 150 would put you in safe pass territory in a 50% mbe state. Not sure how scaling works or what a 150 scaled would equate to raw.




Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: gasfard and 1 guest