Barbri Simulated MBE

Southpaw89
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu May 25, 2017 12:43 am

Re: Barbri Simulated MBE

Postby Southpaw89 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:13 pm

cnk1220 wrote:
SowhatsNU wrote:
cnk1220 wrote:
Thrive wrote:Goal is 165 scaled. Got a 130 on the barbri sim. Any thoughts on how to get there?



I got a 133 on the barbri sim- 150 on the real mbe. You'll likely get 10-15 points higher on average on the real exam, given the few weeks left of studying. Like others said- you don't need a 165 to pass. With my 150 I passed comfortably.


What do we need on the real MBE? I thought they said we only need like a 126 raw right?

Also, anyone have a gameplan on how we should divy up our precious study time between MEE and MBE prep? By MEE I mean stuff that isn't on the MBE (Wills, Trusts, Secured Transactions, etc.)

Like it'll take time to memorize all those rules, and I don't even have everything down pat for the MBE stuff..



Well a 150 would put you in safe pass territory in a 50% mbe state. Not sure how scaling works or what a 150 scaled would equate to raw.



Is the increase due to extra study between simulation and real thing, or due to the simulation being tougher? I got a 124 on the simulation, and my goal is at least 140 raw on the actual exam (I'm taking it in a 50% MBE state).

User avatar
Alt123
Posts: 72
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:36 pm

Re: Barbri Simulated MBE

Postby Alt123 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:11 pm

Southpaw89 wrote:
cnk1220 wrote:
SowhatsNU wrote:
cnk1220 wrote:
Thrive wrote:Goal is 165 scaled. Got a 130 on the barbri sim. Any thoughts on how to get there?



I got a 133 on the barbri sim- 150 on the real mbe. You'll likely get 10-15 points higher on average on the real exam, given the few weeks left of studying. Like others said- you don't need a 165 to pass. With my 150 I passed comfortably.


What do we need on the real MBE? I thought they said we only need like a 126 raw right?

Also, anyone have a gameplan on how we should divy up our precious study time between MEE and MBE prep? By MEE I mean stuff that isn't on the MBE (Wills, Trusts, Secured Transactions, etc.)

Like it'll take time to memorize all those rules, and I don't even have everything down pat for the MBE stuff..



Well a 150 would put you in safe pass territory in a 50% mbe state. Not sure how scaling works or what a 150 scaled would equate to raw.



Is the increase due to extra study between simulation and real thing, or due to the simulation being tougher? I got a 124 on the simulation, and my goal is at least 140 raw on the actual exam (I'm taking it in a 50% MBE state).


I would assume both? The way barbri explained it is that the MBE has about 30 softball questions, where you should just know the answer right away, whereas the simulation did not contain any of these "levels 1-4 of difficulty questions" but rather was comprised entirely of "questions on the levels of 5-10 in terms of difficulty".

personofinterest
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:13 pm

Re: Barbri Simulated MBE

Postby personofinterest » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:35 pm

Reviving this. Post your Barbri simulated score, then your real MBE score when you get it.

Brian_Wildcat
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:44 pm

Re: Barbri Simulated MBE

Postby Brian_Wildcat » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:01 am

Barbri: 135
Scaled actual: 166.9

User avatar
dans1006
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:42 pm

Re: Barbri Simulated MBE

Postby dans1006 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:29 am

Brian_Wildcat wrote:Barbri: 135
Scaled actual: 166.9


Wow! That's quite the bump! May I ask how you felt about the MBE? Did you think it was a nightmare compared to the practice tests, or (as your huge bump might indicate) did you think it was easier than your Barbri final?

Ravenclaw23
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:46 pm

Re: Barbri Simulated MBE

Postby Ravenclaw23 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:23 pm

Simulated: 124
Actual: 155

Brian_Wildcat
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:44 pm

Re: Barbri Simulated MBE

Postby Brian_Wildcat » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:25 pm

dans1006 wrote:
Brian_Wildcat wrote:Barbri: 135
Scaled actual: 166.9


Wow! That's quite the bump! May I ask how you felt about the MBE? Did you think it was a nightmare compared to the practice tests, or (as your huge bump might indicate) did you think it was easier than your Barbri final?



I thought AM was a cake walk. PM was pretty hard. I have always been good with multiple choice though. Left both sessions with an hour on the clock. Thought I had failed though.

User avatar
dans1006
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:42 pm

Re: Barbri Simulated MBE

Postby dans1006 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:05 pm

You've given me hope.

personofinterest
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:13 pm

Re: Barbri Simulated MBE

Postby personofinterest » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:10 pm

Barbri Simulated: 123/200
Actual: 158/200

I think my score jumped a lot because 1) Barbri questions are harder and 2) I got better rest before the real thing and was able to focus better.

Brian_Wildcat
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:44 pm

Re: Barbri Simulated MBE

Postby Brian_Wildcat » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:30 pm

personofinterest wrote:Barbri Simulated: 123/200
Actual: 158/200

I think my score jumped a lot because 1) Barbri questions are harder and 2) I got better rest before the real thing and was able to focus better.


How'd you figure out your raw score on the actual MBE?

personofinterest
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:13 pm

Re: Barbri Simulated MBE

Postby personofinterest » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:02 pm

Brian_Wildcat wrote:
personofinterest wrote:Barbri Simulated: 123/200
Actual: 158/200

I think my score jumped a lot because 1) Barbri questions are harder and 2) I got better rest before the real thing and was able to focus better.


How'd you figure out your raw score on the actual MBE?


I didn't. 158/200 is adjusted score. I don't think they release raw scores.

indianahb85
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:33 pm

Re: Barbri Simulated MBE

Postby indianahb85 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:37 pm

Simulated: 121
Actual: 160

Upwardmobility2k16
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:24 pm

Re: Barbri Simulated MBE

Postby Upwardmobility2k16 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:57 pm

Simulated: 115
Bar Exam: 154.7

User avatar
dans1006
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:42 pm

Re: Barbri Simulated MBE

Postby dans1006 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:18 pm

All of these large bumps from the last practice to the real score are making me very hopeful that I did ok. :D

Two more weeks until I find out.

Thrive
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:01 am

Re: Barbri Simulated MBE

Postby Thrive » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:30 pm

These bumps are...unbelievable. I which we had more data points. It does match up somewhat with scores going up all over the country.

TR RoughRiders
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:27 pm

Re: Barbri Simulated MBE

Postby TR RoughRiders » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:47 pm

BarBri test: 155
MBE: 176

personofinterest
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:13 pm

Re: Barbri Simulated MBE

Postby personofinterest » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:47 pm

Thrive wrote:These bumps are...unbelievable. I which we had more data points. It does match up somewhat with scores going up all over the country.


The bumps are believable to me, but very likely unrepresentative. My score of 158 was ~82 percentile, and 158 seems on the low end for scores posted on TLS. I think that people are much more likely to post higher scores and keep it to themselves when they get lower scores. Plus, this site tends toward people from higher ranked schools with higher passage rates.

We might be able to get better data by conducting a poll asking people how much they improved, or by letting people post anonymously. I think a poll would be easiest. Can OP make this happen?

Categories for example: down by >10 points, down 1-10 points, up 0-9 points, up 10-19 points, up 20-29 points, up 30-39 points, up >40 points.

jvaugh57
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:58 pm

Re: Barbri Simulated MBE

Postby jvaugh57 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:30 pm

Barbri exploits this "jump" in scores, but it's a misnomer given that you see your raw score on the simulated and and scaled on the real deal. I personally didn't feel the simulated questions were representative of the questions I saw on the test. Having said that, I passed...

Waiting to see what my scores are (you have to order them in Indiana).




Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Beercules, Google Adsense [Bot], lwbe, runinthefront, Tony48 and 27 guests